How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
scorptatious said:
Well it was a very bad and poorly executed joke.

It just sickens me how people on here think it's okay to talk shit about America and what it does on this day. I don't expect you guys to feel bad for us. But I do expect some goddamn respect for the people who died on this day. In fact on any day in which a terrible tragedy occurs, whether or not it happens to be in America.
TheTim said:
Doesn't matter if it was a joke or not, that kind of shit isn't meant or for this thread on this day.
I never said I didn't care for my fellow man, American or not. My problem with 9/11 is that it overshadows other equally tragic events.

Remember the London bombings? Yeah, you don't. In fact, nobody here seems to remember them. Not even the fucking media.

What about the Romanian revolution? Hundreds of people died then so it was just as much of a tragedy as 9/11 but I don't see people commemorating it when December rolls its fat ass around.

Tragedies happen in Africa every single day but nobody seems to give a flying fuck about the people dying there. In fact, the only holiday about Africa focuses on the formation of the OAU.

Before you tout 9/11 as the end all, be all of tragedies at the very least have the decency to commemorate those other people worldwide who died and are currently dying in events much more tragic then 9/11.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
BloodRed Pixel said:
I am sorry for the victims but 9/11 is the result of 60years USA´s Foreign Affairs policy.
yeah, our foreign affairs policy told them if they hijack a plane and flew it into a building full of innocent people that their god would be happy.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
I can't speak for all of Canada, but among my group of friends there seems to be the general belief that Americans should stop acting like it just happened. Yes, it was a tragedy. It also happened ten years ago. Children born the year it happened are now the same age I was when it happened.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
AndyFromMonday said:
scorptatious said:
Well it was a very bad and poorly executed joke.

It just sickens me how people on here think it's okay to talk shit about America and what it does on this day. I don't expect you guys to feel bad for us. But I do expect some goddamn respect for the people who died on this day. In fact on any day in which a terrible tragedy occurs, whether or not it happens to be in America.
TheTim said:
Doesn't matter if it was a joke or not, that kind of shit isn't meant or for this thread on this day.
I never said I didn't care for my fellow man, American or not. My problem with 9/11 is that it overshadows other equally tragic events.

Remember the London bombings? Yeah, you don't. In fact, nobody here seems to remember them. Not even the fucking media.

What about the Romanian revolution? Hundreds of people died then so it was just as much of a tragedy as 9/11 but I don't see people commemorating it when December rolls its fat ass around.

Tragedies happen in Africa every single day but nobody seems to give a flying fuck about the people dying there. In fact, the only holiday about Africa focuses on the formation of the OAU.

Before you tout 9/11 as the end all, be all of tragedies at the very least have the decency to commemorate those other people worldwide who died and are currently dying in events much more tragic then 9/11.
So what your saying is that Americans talking about the deaths of their own people is bad because in this "My tragedy is worse than yours" competition you've imagined 9/11 doesn't take first place?

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
RevRaptor said:
Well would you look at that my post about American's whining like babies got a warning, Just proves my point really. I bet the mod that did that was American. Jeez can't even take a general criticism about you country.

Apparently you are not allowed to say anything bad about America on this site. So much for freedom of speech.

Are you fucking kidding "not allowed to say anything bad about America on this site"? When does anyone say anything other than something bad about America on this site? You have to be fucking joking, you are right?

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
Alon Shechter said:
Israel here.
People just don't give a shit. I doubt most of them even know about it.
Pretty sad.. I did not lose anyone that day, but it's still a tragedy for me, just as any loss of life is, and that includes terrorists and criminals.
You are awesome. I completely agree with your statement. It is a tragedy that so many people have become so callous that they don't care to understand the truth in this.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
I live in the States, I really find it sad that stores Sell 9/11 shirts and mugs and banners and profit from death. Thats what I hate about it

postblitz

May 5, 2009
Romania here,
There have been worse tragedies in any country's history. Personally I believe America set it up to justify their wars. Day went by like any other without giving a rat's ass about it. My condolences to those with losses and hope you change your country for the best.. its just not happening right now.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
I'm pretty surprised at the amount of generalization here. Most of us americans are normal, moderate, non-politically motivated people, including those who were killed in the attacks.

Its sad that so many people judge our entire population based on a few ridiculous outspoken extremists. Its just blatant hypocrisy.

People are saying, "if you're going to honor and commemorate your own peoples' deaths, than make sure you remember everyone else around the world who dies, too". How does that even make sense?

So, in other words, we (as an entire population, apparently) should be mindful of the losses of people in other countries as well as our own, all the while putting up with the sarcasm, apathy, and disdain unloaded on us from others.

I used to consider myself an idealist. However, after reading through so much hate over the years, you'll have to forgive me if I don't feel entirely compassionate and caring towards the losses of others around the world.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Interesting to see international views. Personally, I'm American and I honestly don't care. Yeah it was tragic and shit but there have been more horrific events befalling innocents that America really doesn't even care about or just don't pay attention to (See Oslo). It really doesn't effect me on an emotional level. What does effect me is the whole "War on Terror" crap that has done nothing but give the downward-spiraling economy a swift kick in the balls. So...yeah. Not that big of deal when you really think about it. Well, it is technically a big deal considering the body count, but people really should move on already.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Fortesque said:
As Australian, im kinda over it. Im sick of being bombarded with shows and crap about it in September.

All I remember from the day it happened, was being pissed off because Cheese TV wasnt on and I couldnt watch Dragon Ball Z before I went to school. I watched some thing about 9/11 last year, and I found it really hard to watch... this year however, I just dont care.
pretty much my exact story

the biggest thing that i have noticed change in my life is that racism towards arabs is alot more acceptable. other than that i havent been affected.

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
I'm going to put it like I saw in the Joe Heller cartoon in this mornings paper, the time to grieve is over, we will always remember what happened but the time to move on has come and its time to stand up again as a nation instead of asking for pity.

To those who said that they forgot, well lets see what happens the next time it happens because you forgot what caused it in the first place.

Edit: Looking through this thread I see a lot of foreigners, and some US citizens saying that they don't care but that we should be remembering the London bombings. I'm sorry for your loss UK. I really am, any loss of innocent life is a tragedy and should never happen but no ones tragedy is more tragic than any other, in this case, it is all relative.

Now to those who are just being pricks about it. Why do you feel the need to say we're unable to apologize about the deaths we've incurred, has you're country ever said sorry to those who they've killed? No, they haven't, do you know why? The answer is because war is ugly, war is brutal, and war takes no prisoners. Before you point at America and ask "why not you?" turn that finger around and ask "why not us?" We are all equally guilty in a blame game and a name calling war. America is not a joke, no country is.

TL;DR? Look in the mirror before pointing fingers.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Wolvaroo said:
Canadian here. I remember most of the day it happened. At the time I thought "It's about time someone stuck it to them". I remember at the time I was still infuriated over the soft wood lumber fiasco.

10 years later I think I still feel the same way. The entire world has been putting up with the USA's shit for so long it was bound to happen, as I'm sure it will continue to until they get their fingers our of everyone else's pie.

The true tragedy surrounding the event are the civilians and soldiers killed or wounded during the subsequent meaningless wars.

tthor said:
It was a big reminder for many people that war and major attacks like this can happen at home, and not just in some distant 3rd-world country or something.
This right here is the attitude that squashes even the slightest chance of me giving a fuck. It's the idea that many Americans think it's fine if this sort of thing happened in a "third-world country".
its not that its fine, its that its distant enough for people to feel emotionally distant about. several million people suffer, starve, and die every day. tell me, do you cry yourself to sleep every night with this thought? no. because this suffering is too far from home for you to feel anguished by it. it doesn't mean you or I are monsters. it means we are human. We let ourselves forget this kind of suffering, we choose to forget this kind of suffering. Sadly that is the only way to truly stay sane, to distant ourselves. but its when suffering comes to ones doorstep that we are forced to acknowledge it. It is then people are driven to grieve.

9-11 was a small act, but it was close enough that people couldn't simply ignore it.

EDIT: i feel i should probably add, tho i myself am a US citizen and am defending people who are upset about 9-11, I frankly don't really care about it myself. I understand why some people do care about it, but I myself never really have.

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
tthor said:
Wolvaroo said:
Canadian here. I remember most of the day it happened. At the time I thought "It's about time someone stuck it to them". I remember at the time I was still infuriated over the soft wood lumber fiasco.

10 years later I think I still feel the same way. The entire world has been putting up with the USA's shit for so long it was bound to happen, as I'm sure it will continue to until they get their fingers our of everyone else's pie.

The true tragedy surrounding the event are the civilians and soldiers killed or wounded during the subsequent meaningless wars.

tthor said:
It was a big reminder for many people that war and major attacks like this can happen at home, and not just in some distant 3rd-world country or something.
This right here is the attitude that squashes even the slightest chance of me giving a fuck. It's the idea that many Americans think it's fine if this sort of thing happened in a "third-world country".
its not that its fine, its that its distant enough for people to feel emotionally distant about. several million people suffer, starve, and die every day. tell me, do you cry yourself to sleep every night with this thought? no. because this suffering is too far from home for you to feel anguished by it. it doesn't mean you or I are monsters. it means we are human. We let ourselves forget this kind of suffering, we choose to forget this kind of suffering. Sadly that is the only way to truly stay sane, to distant ourselves. but its when suffering comes to ones doorstep that we are forced to acknowledge it. It is then people are driven to grieve.

9-11 was a small act, but it was close enough that people couldn't simply ignore it.
I believe its not only that but the fact of what it really stood for, an attack on Americas capitalistic society. I mean, they could have chosen some better targets than the Trade centers.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
BanicRhys said:

The only people that still care about it in Australia are old women and channel 7 and 9.
The channels only care about it because it's been slow for news right now. If we had anything slighty crazy happening Sep 11 would be a footnote in the news after it's over.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I'm British and I understand entirely that it was a terrible event that shook your nation but I still find the reaction to it a tad annoying.
It's really just how it is constantly referenced and entire conspiracy theories placed around it which then cause the channels to be filled with these shows(at least at the moment). The other day there was film reenacting what happened on the plane that didn't reach it's target, which I think isn't right. A document, yes, but a reenactment just doesn't seem right.
It was terrible ad I understand but other such events took place as well. Here in England our trains and buses were bombed. We dealt with and moved on.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
I sort of know both sides of the issue. I grew up in Southern regions of Philippines where terrorist attacks are fairly common (by religious extremist as well). And I was still in Philippines when it happened. Now I'm a proud American citizen.

True enough that other countries experience horrific tragedies like these in a much higher frequency but it does NOT at all make 9/11 any less significant. America, one of the most successful countries in the world got attacked in such a royally horrific way (two hijacked planes crashing on the tallest buildings of the nation), by religious extremist no less. That is definitely worth remembering.

It would be HUGE oversight if the terrorist thought that America wouldn't react in any other way than to mobilize a "war on terror" that would jeopardize many and more lives of civilians all across the Middle East. I guess you could say the oppressed and slightly depraved societies, the kind that would allow terrorism like that to foster, are going to pay the ultimate price - civilians casualties and all.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Well I'm British so its just one of those things that just happened for me, given I was like 9 when it happened anyway, didnt even fully realise what was happening when I watched the news; was more interested in my coco pops.

The thing is, even though it was bad, and I respect the people who died in the attacks, its not the worse thing that's happened, there's been much worse in terms of civilian killings, Vietnam for instance, where at least the attackers weren't raping and mutilating victims before burning them, or the fact that the US sort of armed the middle east in he first place. Its just a bit irritating that its looked at by the general american public as the worst thing post WW2.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
BanicRhys said:

The only people that still care about it in Australia are old women and channel 7 and 9.
Old Ladies: Channel 7/9's main audience.

But seriously folks, I don't give a damn.