How long does it take you to read a book?

ShadowyMOON

Mar 5, 2011
453 wpm with 82% comprehension. And I always thought I read slowly.

As for the OP, don't fall for the self-righteous speed reading bollocks.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
302 wpm, and 73% comprehension. I'd say I'm above average. But this makes perfect sense, because if you happend to read the post of ''In what atter does this apply to you'', all of the Escapist users should be above average.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I've read each Harry Potter book my mother insisted on buying in around eight hours, if I recall correctly.

I don't know if that's especially good or not, but I'm used to blasting through books quite quickly.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
If I enjoy the book, pretty damn fast, the other night in work I managaed to polish off A Dance with Dragons in on shift, and that book is HUUUUGE

Esotera

May 5, 2011
For an average 500-page novel, anything between two weeks to two days - it really depends how good it is. Months must get a lot more detail out of it though, I'm slightly jealous.

If it's absolutely necessary, I can read a 500 page textbook in an afternoon, although it is not a pleasant experience. But that's part of the territory for my studies.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I read the Swedish version of HP: Order of the Phoenix (1000+ pgs) in one day.

But yeah, I read it with the same enthusiasm as an Oblivion player on their first 40hrs-straight run. Early morning to next early morning, only pausing for food and toilet visits.I was so tired the day after. :3

I doubt I could do it with any book, though.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
I generally finish it in a day if it's short...two or three if it's long. I've read 700 pages in a day once though, because I was really into said book.

A Discworld novel, for instance takes some hours, sometimes a whole day but definitely not more.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
When I was 11 or so I read Stephen King's IT in less than a day, without skimming or skipping pages. Since then I haven't been able to take my time reading books. If given a full day with nothing else to do I can read at least 2-3 standard sized books or 1-1.5 high content books. Its quite annoying as I LOVE to read and hate having to buy a new book every 2-3 days if I want to keep reading new material.
If I read non-physical (iPad/e-books) materials it generally takes me a little longer because I can't stare at words on a screen and concentrate as well as I can with paper books.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
300 wpm with a 91% reading comprehension.

I don't like to zoom through text though. I would rather read slower and digest and imagine what I am reading about. I never looked at reading as a race to the ending.

Rusty pumpkin

Sep 25, 2009
I tend to drift off sometimes too, but if the book can get my attention it will be done in a day or two, unless it breaches the 800 page count.

RivFader86

Jul 3, 2009
got 290 wpm with 91% comp on the test...but i have to say i don't do well reading on screens i tend to get glassy eyed and have to look away...plus english isn't my first language afterall and i guess i don't read as much as i used to, prefer audio books these days since you can multi task with them;P

Jerre138

Oct 6, 2010
It depends on the book. A Terry Pratchett book will be read much faster than James Joyce for example.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Test gave me 707 wpm. Not completely sure I trust it as it's trying to sell me a speed reading program. I reject the notion in the text that the three ways to improve reading speed are spped reading seminars, books, and computer programs.

The best way to improve reading is the same as the best way to improve your free throws. Lots of practice.

A 500 word book usually takes me around 4 hours. When I have time, I will often do that at one sitting - one of my favorite places to read being fast food restaurant dining rooms. Booths are comfortable and unlimited coke. This summer, I re-read the published books of the Wheel of Time series in about 4 weeks. That's something like 11,000 pages.

However, my reading speed varies quite a bit by subject matter. Novels that I am reading for entertainment are probably a lot faster, whereas philosophical or otherwise difficult texts are a lot slower.

I believe I read quickly because I have read often my entire life. In Elementary and Middle school, I read just about everything in my school library (which was pretty dinky) and re-read things I liked over and over.

Once I reached a certain skill level, the mechanics of reading kinda disappeared, and as my brain processes the text automatically, I feel more like I'm watching the story unfold than reading it. It's a lot like dribbling a basketball. At first, you really need to think about what you are doing with the ball, but if you play often enough, you just start doing it automatically.

Find books that interest you. Action, mystery, horror, erotica, whatever, and read, read, read them and your speed will increase. But its something you need to put work into. You can't master a skill without hours and hours of practice, no matter what that skill is.

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
I'm reading A Game of Thrones and I read about 5-10 pages a day, so I guess it will take a couple of millennia to finish it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, I don't know if it's 'how normal people read', but I know I often tear through books in a couple of days.

Sometimes less. Not long ago I settled down with a 500 page novel and read the thing in one sitting.

Hey, don't look at me like that, it was really good. (Unseen Academicals, if anyone is wondering.)

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I read, ridiculously fast. Especially if it's a good book. Recently bought the two Skulduggery Pleasant books missing from my collection, read the last three in two days. I've read the Darren Shan saga (12 books, about 150-200 pages each) in a day. Typically though, if I'm enjoying the book, I'll finish it in a few days, maximum. If I'm extra busy maybe a week. If it bores me enough that I don't find myself wanting to read it, I put it away and pick up another one. Anyway, my advice is the same as others, if you're bored enough that you get distracted every other sentence, find better books.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Depends on the book. I can sometimes run through a 1000 page novel in a day, other times it takes a month to read 100 pages. It depends how busy I am, what other books I'm reading, and how well the book has gripped my attention.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
It depends,some books are easy to read and you get sucked into the book.

Some 300 page books I can read in a single night.
Others I can take weeks to read,simply because it's not clicking.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
as long as it takes. i don't get a huge amount of time to read but decided that as from tomorrow i'll be reading on the train instead of playing my GBA. i don't rush through a book though

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Varies from book to book, and also what else i've got to do, like games, tv shows, movies, social life, etc.

But I only read in bed, at night, after I go to bed I'll read for a bit, the good books i'll read for a couple hours, the great books I'll be up till 5am, hear birds chirping outside and think "shit! I need to go to sleep!"