how long have you been on forums?

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
I started on The Escapist shortly after Yahtzee's second episode, though I didn't get around to creating an account till much later.

Definitely not my first forum, I started on BBS's and got into forums as we know them in 2001. In fact I currently moderate two forums and admin a gaming clan.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
The date below my avatar is when I started posting on forums >.>

This is the only forum I post in mostly because I like the community and partly because I'm too lazy to find another one >.>
You are also posting like mad... a few weeks ago I had never seen you, and now you are everywhere, early and have just about caught me O.O
You are both hiding something from me... must I eat the baby seal to add points to my posting speed skill?
Well I joined the Pub Club met some people, I then got into the forum games and have been posting a lot there. Also once you learn how to make avatars you become one of the more popular people around >.>

That and my new avatar catches peoples eye and I've become more noticeable because of it. But yes I have been posting a lot, less then a month ago I was below 1000 posts, must have been the stuff they put in my water >.>
Aah, I'm guessing that for the avatar it was Ninja picture with many many gradient flares and lens flares, followed by NyanCat, followed by more flares, followed by... freaky mummy pic thing? I have been wondering for a while if I should add some glowing / flashing moving to my Maul... what do you think?

And you are going to have Neo in no time flat minus a second or two.
It's a ninja with different glowing eye effects with a frame of nyancat and if you look really closely the nyancat has glowing pink eyes, and a frame of a pirate holding a gun and he has red glowing eyes.

Boy I hope I get the neo badge, that's my goal I just have to make sure not to piss off any mod or post anything bad >.>

I think avatars are generally better with glowing eyes and I'd think it'd be better if you went the gif way but I think it would have to be with a different picture since the one you have doesn't look like it'd look good with glowing eyes D:
I cannot see teh glowing pink eyes I'm afraid, it is too fast for that.

I'm sure you'll get Neo, you have been raping most Escapists with posting speed recently, and you seem to have a cool head from what I have noticed, rather unlike myself on Religion & Politics :p

Don't worry, I wouldn't try to add glow to this icon-y thing, maybe I should spin the centre-piece for my first gif, then I will get a nice glowing one.
That's why I don't go on the R&P section, it's all flame bait for me there and I have written out many long three page essays as responses and then I just delete them because it's overly mean or something :/

And spinning the image always sounded like it would be hard for me at first but I figured out how to do it, as well as zooming in on the avatar (that one was a little hard to figure out how to do). If you need any help with making it or you just want me to do it I can help ^-^
The problem is, I find R&P to be the most fascinating, stimulating forum... so I post there a decent amount, although I know the risks. Although I find if you can avoid actively insulting (incredible levels of sarcasm are acceptable :p) you are fine and the people will listen. I have actually swayed people there. Yes, I changed someone's mind on a topic through an internet debate. And have had people ask me in PMs to explain things to them, so a part of me always go back to the flames... bloody pyromaniac genes (my father burnt an entire field as a child... one owned by his neighbour).

What program do you use for image editing?
I use Gimp 2.6.

For the spinning I think I will just rotate the layer that has the face under the shine. For zooming I use the zoom-blur, with slight increments each frame, I think that'll work.
I have used Zoom already for a program I made for homework:
Before the click, when there is no zoom on the OK button:

After the click, when there is zoom on the OK button:

EDIT: Never has so much uploading gone into a single post from me... my photobucket archive is dreadfully empty.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
brandon237 said:
I use Gimp 2.6.11 but I use a mac so mine might be a little different. Now if I was you what I'd do is I'd make a lot of frame copies and then use the rotate tool and rotate each frame individually until you get a rotation motion going on. If needed you could save each frame individually and then add them later with the open as frame command.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
staika said:
brandon237 said:
I use Gimp 2.6.11 but I use a mac so mine might be a little different. Now if I was you what I'd do is I'd make a lot of frame copies and then use the rotate tool and rotate each frame individually until you get a rotation motion going on. If needed you could save each frame individually and then add them later with the open as frame command.
Add them later with Open as frame command?
You will have to explain that one.

I would just copy, rotate slightly, copy, rotate by the same amount again, until I get a full 360.

staika

Aug 3, 2009
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

I would just copy, rotate slightly, copy, rotate by the same amount again, until I get a full 360.
Oopsie the actual thing on mine is called open as layers, If yours is similar to mine it should be right under open command in the file tab.

And yes that is basically what you should do, any problems I can help.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
I wouldn't say I post ACTIVELY here, but I do post when I see something that catches my interest. Like now. I actually made the account to post because I kept seeing interesting things crop up on the sidebar while I was lurking.

The first forum I was ever really active on was GHPF on Pokemon Dungeon and I joined that back in... 2004. I'm still there with the rank of "Forum Legend" (for some reason).

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

Oopsie the actual thing on mine is called open as layers, If yours is similar to mine it should be right under open command in the file tab.

Aaah... open as layers, that I can do manually quite easily, I actually have a nice little idea in mind already for how I am going to orchestrate it. Do you think 60 spins is enough for a fluid turn?
I will try it myself, I have made gifs before... notably one of a guy getting shot and losing his head... but hey :p

staika

Aug 3, 2009
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

Aaah... open as layers, that I can do manually quite easily, I actually have a nice little idea in mind already for how I am going to orchestrate it. Do you think 60 spins is enough for a fluid turn?
I will try it myself, I have made gifs before... notably one of a guy getting shot and losing his head... but hey :p
It will but you got to be careful, the avatar limitation for non pub club members is 100k in size so if you use too many frames it will be too large of a size to use. what I would do is if you want to make 60 to make a fluid turn do that and then delete every other frame that way it still remains a fluid turn but goes a little faster.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

It will but you got to be careful, the avatar limitation for non pub club members is 100k in size so if you use too many frames it will be too large of a size to use. what I would do is if you want to make 60 to make a fluid turn do that and then delete every other frame that way it still remains a fluid turn but goes a little faster.
I will see if 60 does it, mine will also be smaller than yours, probably 75x75 on the dot, so less bits used. How many frames and kbs is yours?

staika

Aug 3, 2009
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

I will see if 60 does it, mine will also be smaller than yours, probably 75x75 on the dot, so less bits used. How many frames and kbs is yours?
A little over 100 I think its 104 to be exact, Luckily I have a pub club membership so I can make my avatars bigger and longer.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

A little over 100 I think its 104 to be exact, Luckily I have a pub club membership so I can make my avatars bigger and longer.
Then I should easily be able to make it work, although not tonight :p Maybe tomorrow... tomorrow is Saturday, good day for it.

staika

Aug 3, 2009
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

Then I should easily be able to make it work, although not tonight :p Maybe tomorrow... tomorrow is Saturday, good day for it.
It is but I've just spent the last two hours working on this avatar for someone >.>

I strangely really enjoy making avatars for some reason, it's what gets me through it :p

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

It is but I've just spent the last two hours working on this avatar for someone >.>

I strangely really enjoy making avatars for some reason, it's what gets me through it :p
Nice, must be good practice, I should try for people who will accept a mess-up or two :p
GIMPing in general I find to be quite fun, which certainly helps. It is good with IT too...

staika

Aug 3, 2009
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

Nice, must be good practice, I should try for people who will accept a mess-up or two :p
GIMPing in general I find to be quite fun, which certainly helps. It is good with IT too...
I guess people are drawn to my avatars glowing eyes so they ask me to make them an avatar with glowing eyes, this is what I just made for my friend.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

I guess people are drawn to my avatars glowing eyes so they ask me to make them an avatar with glowing eyes, this is what I just made for my friend.
NICE!
I am quite impressed by the transformation effect there, the glowing eyes I can do, but the morphing looks like it took quite a bit of effort.

staika

Aug 3, 2009
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

NICE!
I am quite impressed by the transformation effect there, the glowing eyes I can do, but the morphing looks like it took quite a bit of effort.
I didn't do the cool animation part, I got that from a separate gif, It'd be really cool if I could have made that but I don't have the artistic ability yet.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:
staika said:
brandon237 said:

NICE!
I didn't do the cool animation part, I got that from a separate gif, It'd be really cool if I could have made that but I don't have the artistic ability yet.
Aah, I suppose we all have to learn to get there one way or another.
My recent work is less sparkly, more shiny.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Since last Winter but I had heard of this site when Yatzee posted his video on Youtube but I did not join straight away. I had lurk on theforum for a while until I finally decided to join for the hell of it (there had been some comments I had wanted to post).