How long will Valve stick to the Source-engine?

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Valve doesn't really seem to build new engines, they just keep adding new stuff to the old one. I mean, the Source engine is just a very heavily modified Quake engine.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
brainless906 said:
Rex Dark said:
brainless906 said:
in fact i've played CSS maps that look almost comparable to far-cry 2's maps.
That's not the engine, that's level-design, with possible use of modelling and photoshop skills (for custom textures).
The engine does rendering(just putting the art on the screen, shaders and calculating light), physics and a.i..

ignorance i say!
i request you dont talk to me like i know not what i'm talking about.
I being a CSS level Designer am in fact not incompetent.

I this is part level design however without the engine's ability to pull it off all the design in the world would be useless.

that basically saying the cry engine doesnt look good...just the level design was good...

i mean no offence to you, just saying.
No offence taken.
I didn't mean the engine itself isn't important (in fact I think it does everything that influences the gameplay(which is, in my humble opinion, what's most important in a game)), but what it does for the graphics is mainly putting them on the screen and playing with lights and shadows. It won't make high-poly models out of low poly models and it won't turn 8-bit textures which look like they were designed to be tiles for a nes game into photo-realistic, highly detailed textures.(It might do it the other way around though.)
Also in what way did you mean the maps looked comparable to a Farcry 2 map? (Maybe I've interpreted your post wrong.)

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
GoldenCondor said:
Until Bethesda buys out Valve (It's what i've been hearing)
unless you want Elder Scrolls V: Source.
What would be wrong with that? There was a very Oblivion-esque (admittedly Linear) RPG released a while ago. I just can't remember it's name.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Source is one, then there is Gamebyro. Someone mentioned Oblivion/Fallout 3. Those use Gamebyro... and so does Civilization 4/Revolution, just to mention a few. There are tons of titles that use really old engines and still manages to look great.

GoldenCondor

May 6, 2009
sneak_copter said:
GoldenCondor said:
What would be wrong with that? There was a very Oblivion-esque (admittedly Linear) RPG released a while ago. I just can't remember it's name.
Was it Hellgate: London?
That was extremely linear, but also very futuristic.
Do you mean released by Valve?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I think it works fine at the moment.

After Episode 3 would be my guess if I had to though, I like the Source engine though.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
I have 1 GB of RAM, a 1,6 GHz processor, and am running vista on my laptop.

It can play any Source-based Valve game without any problem at all.

Big Bill Hell

Dec 3, 2008
T
GoldenCondor said:
sneak_copter said:
GoldenCondor said:
Was it Hellgate: London?
That was extremely linear, but also very futuristic.
Do you mean released by Valve?
That was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Not made by valve though.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
GoldenCondor said:
The gambryo engine kinda sucks... And TES could use some realistic facial animations and physics. So I'd be all over TES V: Source.

Mr Orange

Jun 15, 2008
guardian001 said:
Valve doesn't really seem to build new engines, they just keep adding new stuff to the old one. I mean, the Source engine is just a very heavily modified Quake engine.
Is it? I thought that they used a havily modified version of the Quake engin for HL1. I thought Source was built by them.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Episode 2 looks fine, it doesnt have Crysis level detail but It is more than good enough. It is also incredibly well made and run very well. It still has some of the best pyhsics and lighting as well.

Also the Unreal and Quake engines have been doing the rounds for over a decade now, the source engine is still quite young.

I_LIKE_CAKE

Oct 29, 2008
The source engine keeps getting better as Valve releases updates for it, which they do with every major game. HL2 looks better now(at least the aspects handled by the engine) then it did when released. And for the doubters, I challenge you to present a game with better lighting effects then L4D.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I think they are gonna stick to it for a long time but updating it over the years to come since L4D is also using it but more advanced than the HL2 version

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
Well, the headline are quite self-explanatory, how long will Valve stick to the Source-engine?

It's still great and it's very mod friendly but compared to other engines it's starting to age, after all, it's 5 years old. Will Valve keep updating it or will/are they building a new game-engine soon? What's your thoughts?
Thank you!

I have been saying this for the last year. L4D had extremely dated graphics and suffered from a low framerate for a modern shooter.

After a week playing the technical masterpiece of Borderlands (MASSIVE maps that rarely drop a frame, except during head explosions), it is even clearer that it's time for Vavle to build the next Source engine.

Bethesda might want to have a look at this idea too. Fallout 3 was like a broken strobe light at times.