How many languages do you know?

Macropter

Dec 8, 2008
I speak English, and I know Latin pretty well (It has uses! Like... um... that one thing), but I can't speak it. Speaking in Latin is damn hard.

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
Fluently, I only speak boring old English as a native language. Damn you USA.

However, I am learning Spanish and am my 4th year, so I can understand people pretty well and hold a basic conservation.

rintasja

Mar 27, 2009
English, German, Norwegian(thus also Danish and Swedish), Dutch, some Romanian, some Latin, learning basic Swahili.

My father is some what of a "small scale celeberty" and travels a lot and in that way brings back home a great aspect of different cultures and languages.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Swedish
English
French
(5 years)
learning Italian (1 year)
learning Japanese (1 year)

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
*** = Fluent
** = Conversational... ish
* = The occasional sentence

---

Dutch***
English***
French**
German**
Latin*
Ancient Greek*

Tossth Esalad

Jul 11, 2009
I speak Danish, English and German fluently.

I understand Swedish and Norwegian (Bokmål)

I speak Spanish at a tourist level.

I used to speak a little Japanese, but a lack of use has made me forget most of it.

Edit: Ooh! I can swear in Arabic, and order a beer in Hungarian (barely).

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
English

and some Spanish. I just suck at it. So rather then keep practicing I just kinda work off the stuff I know.
It'll be nice to understand it fully one day

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
English
Gaelic (acient celtic)
French
Spanish
German
Russian
Arabic(mostly)
Acadian(Nova Soctian version of french)
i also understand
Latin
Itailian
Japanese
I have the most nutty accent but i can speak almost any language without a problem. i pick them up quickly and then always remeber them

Vicious Hallway

Sep 21, 2008
English and approximately four phrases of French (protip: don't try to learn French from an easily distracted Newfie). Plan to take classes in German and American sign language sometime soonish.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Neonbob said:
I only know one and a quarter.
English and Latin.
I say a quarter because I can kinda read Latin, but only if I have some kind of translation for the tougher ones in the back.
I cannot write it to save my life, and speaking it is right out.

Hooray for being the first ignorant American on the thread?
I guess I'm the second (or fourth, whatever)

I only understand English. I took 2 years of Spanish but I didn't listen in class so that doesn't count.

I am trying to learn Japanese at the moment, but so far I can only read (sound out) Hiragana and don't know any vocab or Kanji.

Fooshi

Apr 27, 2009
Norwegian (Motherlanguage)
Swedish
Danish
English
Little bit german
And a few words in french

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
crimsonyte said:
Just out of curiosity, how many languages can the individual members of the escapist speak/understand? I'm pretty sure there's a lot of bilingual people here if not trilingual. How did you go about learning the language? I have a few friends who learned the language just by watching a crap load of movies/series. They speak funny when they use the language (a lot of slangs) but regardless, they picked it up. Currently, I'm trying to match my parents, they speak 5 languages o_O

I know 2 languages proficiently (English and Chieu-Chow(country dialect in China (<--anybody else know this language =p ))) and can partially understand 3 others, if spoken slowly to (Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish). English/Chieu-Chow are my native languages used when growning up. Mandarin, Cantonese and Spanish I've picked up from spending time with friends and friend's family.
Awesome, someone else who actually speaks that dialect. That may have been my first language, but I don't know quite enough to hold conversation. It's only enough to help around the house and basic speech. I'm proficient in English (of course), and have a somewhat decent thing for Spanish (but it's falling apart). I know a some basic phrases and words in Japanese and Vietnamese (product of anime and family, respectively)