How many languages do you know?

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I can only speak English fluently, and i'm learning french in School but imo schools not a good place to learn languages since it isn't fun. I would like to learn another language though, italian or spanish probably.

crimsonyte

Aug 12, 2009
Anybody use transitional languages to learn another? For example, you can somewhat cheat learning Cantonese/Taiwanese/Hokkien by understanding Mandarin.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
crimsonyte said:
Rex Dark said:
Human languages: Dutch, English and French. (I want to learn Japanese.)
Programming Languages: Java, VB.Net, php, C++.
Aww, no Klingon? Would seem fun to say you also know an alien language =p
Unfortunately, I don't know Klingon, yet...

crimsonyte

Aug 12, 2009
poncho14 said:
I can only speak English fluently, and i'm learning french in School but imo schools not a good place to learn languages since it isn't fun. I would like to learn another language though, italian or spanish probably.
I think school is only good for the basics. In order to fully comprehend the language I think you need to be thrown into the culture where its kinda like do or die.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
crimsonyte said:
Rex Dark said:
I instantly thought of this. Glory to LoadingReadyRun...

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
English and dodgy Spanish. I kind of know the odd French word or phrase, but I can't really remember any of the stuff I learnt in school.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I can speak English, a little german, some klingon, some elvish and a little polish. Oh and a little G'ould

crimsonyte

Aug 12, 2009
Rex Dark said:
crimsonyte said:
Rex Dark said:
Unfortunately, I don't know Klingon, yet...
You should learn a game language like uh... Al Bhed. That way, when you tell your friends that you know a gaming language and they ask if it's C++ you can say, "Al Bhed!! ************!!". But I guess Nechti (poster above) is better off then we are. =p

Azraellod

Dec 23, 2008
english is my primary language.

i know a bit of french, although not very much.

i can understand some japanese if it is spoken to me. i can not read or speak it though.

i'm not good at languages really.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Let's see...

I speak swedish (well I am swedish, after all), pretty good english, a bit of german and right now I'm studying japanese, although I'm not that good at it yet.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
ae86gamer said:
English
Spanish
Japanese

And thats about it.
This, but my Japanese is so awful I don't think I can even count that one. It's just a really hard language to learn.

EMFCRACKSHOT said:
I can speak English, a little german, some klingon, some elvish and a little polish. Oh and a little G'ould
My kind of guy.

crimsonyte

Aug 12, 2009
SakSak said:
crimsonyte said:
Rex Dark said:
I instantly thought of this
That is the most awesome thing I've seen today!!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
English
German (is meh, I took it as a GCSE but could only do 1 year on the GCSE course as not enough people chose it as a subject so I took it one day a week after school - not enough to keep a grasp on a language).
Studying GCSE French but I find it hard to speak/write it (I know, what else is there to a language) but I can understand stuff and I am getting better with the writing if I have a dictionary and a lot of time.
I can order a beer (or other drink) in Spanish. And possibly food.

Aeviv

Jun 13, 2008
Im a native English tounge, but im also pretty good with French, German, Russian, Mandarin, Swahili, Japanese and Hindi, with a dabble of Spainish, Turkish, Latin and Italian. Comes mostly from being a massive fan or foreign cinema, and the fact my girlfriend is very linguisticly talented

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I can speak English (duh) and one other language. Check the spoiler for the other one

I-ay an-cay also-ay eak-spay ig-pay atin-lay. o-gay eam-tay erd-nay!

Faps

Jul 27, 2008
English and Finnish though I haven't spoken Finnish in about 3 years so who knows how much I remember. I'm rubbish at languages prefer to communicate using grunts and hand gestures.