How much effort do you put into being "normal"?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Chalacachaca said:
None, and I'm happy like that.
This

I just don't care if I fit in or not, but I won't go out of my way for either one. One way I know this is working is that I have very few friends, but those I do have like me for who I am. Outside that small circle, not much matters to me.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Well seeing as most people think I'm strange no matter what I do, not much. I'm a little touched in the head though so I have to work on not being overly irritated for things like feeling another person's body heat just cause they're standing a step too close and I work on basic socilization. In other words, it takes concetrated effort on my part to engage in conversation and other social activities, not because I'm necessarily worried about looking insane, but because I'm a very passive person and I'm not looking to have debate crap or deal with people with tender sensibilities and I'm also generally a kind person (more-so to animals than people) and I don't like to hurt people's feelings.

But otherwise I don't bother. You say it's odd that I wear a top hat on a day to day basis? Well fuck you. Who says I shouldn't wear a monocle? I will pick up only heads-up pennies, talk to myself, tell you to shut up when you talk too much, and if I want to whistle twisted nerve I shall.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I'm fairly normal anyway. The least normal thing about me where I live is my attitude to gaming, otherwise, it's all good.

Gnarynhar

Jan 9, 2010
I used to try to act normal, but when my OCD got to it's current point, I pretty much decided "fuck it". But then these days I only leave the house once maybe every two or more months, (just to see my psychiatrist) and when I do my crazy forces me to wear latex gloves and a disposable painter's suit with the hood up under my 'leaving the house tracksuit' with the collar tucked in and not zipped up close to my chin so my skin doesn't touch it by accident.

So yeah, I'm never going seem normal ever again.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I never put any effort into being normal because having some sort of "defect" is normal. The more you have, the more normal you are.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I guess I bathe regularly and keep myself groomed, if that counts. Other than that? I'm not too worried about being anything other than myself. Heck, I even talk to myself, exactly like the OP described. Funny thing actually, because I said something to myself while waiting for the bus today, and wound up talking to this guy who I didn't realize was right behind me for a while because of it. He thought I was talking to him, which at least at first, I wasn't XD

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I think I'm fairly normal to begin with. I've tried to make an effort to be more sociable lately, since wandering off on your own is probably a sign of feeble-mindedness or something.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I talk to myself, and based on past discussions with others I know that a lot of people do. In my eyes that makes it normal.

I try to act "normal" in business settings purely because in those situations its people's impressions of you that can make or break your career but on the whole Im generally as-is.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Why would I try to be normal? I like being me. And normal is not me; I am not normal....
Sure there are quite a few things I do that are completely normal...but no special effort.
....is anybody really normal?

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
i try very hard to be normal because my family isnt very mainstream and ive always felt like an outsider and also used to have a MASSIVE fear of being judged by everyone so i tried my hardest to almost go invisible and just fit in the best i could.. i still try to do it to a point

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I have no clear view of myself as it is, but I try not to pick my nose or bounch my head to an imaginary beat when I'm among others.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I'm an aspie, so when I talk to people I tend seem off or disconnected when I am near people for long periods of time, but usually in day to day life I can fake my way through a conversation.

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
I am who I am. Geeky, animal loving and slightly unhinged woman...I am 'the black sheep' of the family but I don't mind it that way. It has taken me quite a few years to become confident in who I am enough to try not to be what other people what me to be. It's a very enlightening moment actually.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
That depends on what is considered normal. But I try to make myself invisible enough to be left alone.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Just about nothing. But pretty much everybody on this thread has said the exact same thing, so are we genuinely being truthful, or are we just saying what everybody else is saying on this thread so we can fit in with this internet community instead of with our peers in reality?

(Don't mind me, I'm just being crazy.)

mark-the-stampede

Feb 15, 2010
I dont put any effort at all into being normal if people dont like me the way I am then thats their problem and im not going to waste my time trying to please them.

Although I do talk to myself alot but when im outside I talk to myself in my head rather than out loud so I guess I do put a little effort in.