How much effort do you put into being "normal"?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Da Orky Man said:
Much like most here, I don't put in much effort at all. Neither does anyone I know. But I do live in a town where it's normal to see someone walking down the street in full chainmail.
I... this... where do you live I want to move there this instant!

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Like many others here, almost none, that I am aware.

I do of course try to partake in reasonable social skills. In that sense I try quite well to be normal.

But as far as anything of reasonable tastes and desires, I'm far from normal. And I have no desire to curb my healthy hobbies and the like, in the name of being "normal".

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
I am totally normal already!

I don't have to pretend.
There's nothing wrong with me.

Nothing.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
I don't care that much. I wear what I want, act how I wish, do what I want. I guess that makes me 'not normal', but who cares really? So long as your happy, and your not hurting anybody, I don't see a problem.

chowderface

Nov 18, 2009
Normal is defined by the people around you.

Most of my peers are artists.

Ergo, I am normal with absolutely zero effort.

Vetinarii

Aug 17, 2009
I have no qualms with myself.

My friends often have called me a sociopath, I act like a dick to them on a continuous basis. I purposefully say things that are most likely to upset people.

BUT the only time I have ever provoked a rise from anyone I feel was unfounded was by saying that I hate whoever left food on the floor. (Oh my God you can't say you hate someone). Well I also upset people by deleting them off facebook but I can kind of see where they are coming from that.

I also have a ridiculous amount of friends. No technical Best friends as I would have to include half of my friends in that category.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
DanDeFool said:
For me, a big one is talking to myself. Not like a schizophrenic talks to themselves, like there's another person inside their head (though the association with mental illness seems to be why it's such a cultural taboo). Most of the time, I'm either trying to work through some problem in my head and talking myself through it, or I'm imagining myself in some type of social situation and rehearsing what I would say out loud. Sometimes, it's just muttering a song to myself while I'm running errands. I try to avoid doing it as much as possible, but sometimes I wonder if more people don't do it when they think nobody's looking.
Um, I'm pretty sure this isn't weird. Most people talk to themselves out loud when no one's around, it's a way of stopping yourself from feeling lonely for one thing. Having conversations with yourself is just a way to work through problems logically. Seriously, you think it's weird to sing to yourself? Relax, man!

And in answer to your question, I guess I have to resist a lot of childlike urges. If it were up to me I'd be swinging on the bars on public transport and running down the road like I'm an aeroplane... okay, okay, I DO do those things sometimes, but less than I'd like.

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
Well, I tend to keep.... deep(?) Personal feelings to myself. But can't seem to stop myself from making rude jokes and being a douche, whatever though, girls laugh and give me these dangerous smiles, and I've got a fairly large circle of friends, so why change? I'm happy and accepted

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
the spud said:
OT: Absolutely no effort whatsoever. I actually try my best not to fit in. Who in their right mind would want to become one with the herd? Wouldn't you want to be your own, unique person?
To be fair there's a balancing act between being your own person and being too different not to fit into society or get along with other people. I personally do what I want most of time whether or not it's "normal" but that doesn't mean I avoid simple courtesy or basic hygiene and I never do things solely to be different.

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
I put zero effort in being normal, because I don't have a paper that tells me whats normal and not normal.

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
None, the people I enjoy hanging out with most are because they are unique and individual.

As I say, if everyone were the same, their wouldn't be any point talking to any them.

So I just be myself and do what I want, so long as my actions aren't hurting anyone or making their lives harder.

Though the things I do don't usually attract weird looks. So maybe I'd feel different about it if I always copped strange stares.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
I tried to be "normal" for many years while in highschool. It didn't work.

Now I accept I'm kind of weird, and I'm ok with it, and people around me seem to be more comfortable about that matter if I adress it.

Moral of the story: be yourself

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
Talking to yourself is not only not idiosyncratic, it's actually so universal that it's more a linguistic activity than a psychological one.

I love getting caught doing embarrassing things, once when the microwave was going, I pretended I was casting a spell on it, until my girlfriend (at the time) walked in on me.

Once I was listening to music, so I had headphones in, which could have been playing something funny (they weren't, but anyway), I thought of a joke and started laughing uproariously to myself, and an elderly woman coming the other way shielded a little girl from me, as if she sincerely thought I was a raving loony. I see so much humour in it that I adore that it happened.

Of course though "you think you're so clever and classless and free", in reality appearances have a huge effect on me (and a bigger effect on anyone than you'll hear most proclaim), but most of it's under the surface.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I'm not 'normal'. What I normally do is just try and hold myself back. It's pretty hard to explain, but my mine is pretty much orbiting the Earth 20 times a second, so it's all over the place.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
I don't care for normal.
I've never cared. I probably never will.

So I put zero effort into being normal, because I really don't want to be. haha