How much of an age gap is too much?

Krafty_Krocodile

Jul 6, 2010
i would say either the half you age thing, (however it doesn't work if your quite young)
or just about 1-5 years difference also dependant on your age

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
For me, 15 years+ is what i consider 'too big of an age gap'. But that's just where i personally draw the line. That doesn't mean anyone else should do the same as me because that's just my view, nor am i saying anyone of legal age should have 'set age gaps'. Keep it legal and do whatever the hell you want! 20 and 40-something like the actor from Kick-ass and his girlfriend / wife? Weird, but whatever! As long as people are happy.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Merkavar said:
depends if the the older one is male or female. old men can have as big an age gap they want with their younger female partners. but if the female is older then the age gap cant be more that 2-3 years or it becomes gross.
i think one of the guys who used to star in a lot of westerns, really famous but i forget his name, married his wife when he was 55 and she was 20. they have been married for 16 years

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
brodie21 said:
Merkavar said:
depends if the the older one is male or female. old men can have as big an age gap they want with their younger female partners. but if the female is older then the age gap cant be more that 2-3 years or it becomes gross.
i think one of the guys who used to star in a lot of westerns, really famous but i forget his name, married his wife when he was 55 and she was 20. they have been married for 16 years
proves my point. older man younder female = long happy relationship

Siuki

Nov 18, 2009
I think 10 to 15 years is good enough. It's a weird feeling to know that your future wife/husband hasn't been born yet.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
For me, it gets a little creepy if its over 4 years, But yet ive seen a 19 year old date a 14 year old so i call pedobear.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
.............. Well really any age gap is fine so long as YOU'RE comfortable with it. Me personally, I like to keep the age gap 4 years or lower (Mostly because I have a brother who's 5 years younger than me and it creeps me out to think that I'd be dating his equivalent classmate.)

Horben

Nov 29, 2009
The age gap is too wide when you are legal, and (s)he is not.

Beyond that it's fair game.

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
I don't see how this matters as long as it's legal and both parties know why they and their partner are in the relationship (i.e. no one is being taken advantage of).

If some old dude wants to date some hot, young girl who gives a shit? If he knows she's just going to marry him to get money when he dies and she knows he's just marrying her for some T&A and they're both happy with that I don't see why that's wrong.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Anything consensual going on between persons of legal age and mental maturity can't reasonably be condemned. As for when one's personally comfortable with what falls within that frame, that would be an entirely subjective matter.

I for one would probably start taking it into consideration if there were more than 5 years either way between myself and my partner, but when it would be "too much" would really be impossible to say in general. Maturity is not merely a matter of age.

MySoxSmell

Oct 28, 2009
Eponet said:
Half your age + 7 seems to be the accepted lower age band where I am.

If you're younger, just apply it to the other person.
see there is sometimes decimals wit it though,

eg im 17 shes 15 is it okay? personally, i say yes as i round down, others might disagree

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Eponet said:

actualy, i think you hit it right on the spot, i quite like your calculation XD it agrees with me :p, and it means that when you get older, you can be like 20 years appart, which is indeed, not that big a deal when your like 50 XD

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
MySoxSmell said:
Eponet said:

eg im 17 shes 15 is it okay? personally, i say yes as i round down, others might disagree
defnitly okey, since he should ahve added 'age gaps of 2 years or less are nearly always okey XD'

Rouse

Dec 2, 2010
The age difference isn't too big when you have a proper conversation with the person without feeling too dumb/different.
Usually people on different ages don't hang out because they don't have common interests and things to talk about. But for example if someone is interested in oldschool stuff and prefers them over the new things coming out, he'd find it much easier to talk with someone way older than someone his age.

Or sometimes women go for old men because they're 1. rich 2. responsible 3. grown up 4. this might be just me, but men with wrinkles are hot.

my opinion: as long as she's over 18, it's ok. :p

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
10-15 is creepy other then that I can live with.

Sex has barely any age boundaries though.
Depends on how hot the guy/girl is.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
MySoxSmell said:
Eponet said:

Ages aren't discrete data, why are decimals a problem?