How Much SHOULD a Game Cost?

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
I found that 15 ? is an okay price for a good game. That's what one-year old games often cost around here, so the price is quite right I think - but it should be valid for new games too. If I spend 20 ? for a game, I feel I should rather be spending on something more useful.
Where the hell do you live at? Over here they are still selling Red Faction: Guerrilla for 45 euros... At least digital distribution comes to the rescue on PC...

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
I'm okay with the prices they retail at now...so long as they're translated properly through some sort of currency exchange. They ought to be the same value worldwide. Activision, I'm looking at you. $39.99 is not the same as £39.99. :|

THE_NAMSU

Jan 1, 2011
£30 for a very good new released console game, and probs ~£25 for rest. PS2 games costed like £20 in the good old days.
DLC should be worth no more then £5 and CoD DLC should be worth £2, because they've all been shit lately.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
TU4AR said:
In Australia, new release for about $60. Why?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE IN THE FUCKING US
You know? An Australian Dollar is about 6,5 Swedish Crowns. A new console game here goes for about 600 Swedish Crowns. So basiclly, we pay about 90 dollars for a game.

Shit blows.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Shycte said:
TU4AR said:

You know? An Australian Dollar is about 6,5 Swedish Crowns. A new console game here goes for about 600 Swedish Crowns. So basiclly, we pay about 90 dollars for a game.

Shit blows.
He's kinda lying, most console games cost $100+ on release.
PC games are usually lighter off, hence why I buy everything off steam :D

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
I'm not sure if I think there should be a different price between PC and console price. If anything though, PC SHOULD be cheaper

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It's fine the way it is now. It would be nice if it were cheaper, but it's fine. Consoles need to be cheaper though. The real problem is that some are worth more, some less. (Some I would pay waaay more than $60 for. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.267405-How-much-would-you-pay-for-your-favourite-game])

Shycte said:
TU4AR said:

Shit blows.
I find a lot of games for 700 SEK. But everybody seems to forget about the fact that there are different standards of living for different countries.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Gudrests said:
psivamp said:
$60 is generally too much for me. I can't say that the price should be lower, since I haven't done any real research on the economics on the other end.

DLC prices are ludicrous. DLC is barely advertised at all and charging someone a quarter of the cost of a game for four multiplayer maps is just ridiculous.
lets put it this way......its been $50 forever now...if its at 60 now (which it might be idk)...think about it..something went up 10 bucks over how many years.....where everything else went up how much over that same amount of time...everyone STFU and leave it alone before someone trys to charge us more
The problem with this is that the manufacturing costs went way down in the mid 90's, when companies switched from cartridges to discs, but the companies pocketed the difference, instead of passing on the savings like they promised. I'd imagine that $50 per game now would still net them more profit than it did in the cartridge days, even accounting for inflation. The only reason they charge $60 is because they can get away with it, and it makes the shareholders happy. It has nothing to do with rising costs.
http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html

Accounting for inflation price has gone down. Just fyi.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
I can tell you what it shouldn't cost, £40 after being out for months *cough* COD *cough*

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
With the current retail model, singleplayer campaign games should be charged 5-6 dollars for every hour of average playtime. Most great games abide by this.

The average game lasts 8 to 12 hours and costs 39.99 to 69.99 new.

Unfortunately we're now commonly paying 15 dollars per hour. Many recent games I have completed in 3 to 6 hours, but these cost as much as the 8 to 12 hour games.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
full games(multiplayer + singleplayer) should top at 50 absolute max and in those cases should be ****ing gold
dlc 0
any game that features one over the other (either a whimpy singleplayer like MW2 or mulitplayer like Dead Space 2) should top at 35-40
dlc 0
stricktly one or the other (lots of replayability in single player or long ass single player, like in RPG games (assuming its not just a giant grind quest through the same dam area and was actually decently made), good upgrade system and ranking system in mulitplayer), 25-30
dlc 0
one time straight through sp game, 15
dlc 0
decent online only game, 15
dlc ****ing 0
every game should allow for mods, and (ESPECIALLY RTS games here, im looking at you supreme commander 2) custom maps
the reason i have over 800 hours in the command and conquer series is because of the custom dam maps

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
AmrasCalmacil said:
£30.

PC games over here are around that cost, console releases are £40 or in rare cases up to £50. Bugs me no end. I'm sure there's a reason that isn't 'We can exploit more people who play consoles', but I have no idea.
It's because MS and Sony sell consoles at a loss but charge a fee to publishers for selling a game on that platform to make it back. Nintendo sell consoles at a profit but they also like money so do the same thing.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
I'm a PC gamer on a budget so I wait for everything to come within the range of 10-20$ but I understand them starting upwards of 40-50.

BlackHazard

Nov 6, 2008
I don't mind paying 60 dollars for a game that lasts 25-30 hours plus.
But 60 bucks for a game that lasts 6 hours like God of War is too much for my wallet.