How the hell is this fair?!?

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
lacktheknack said:
So let's see:

<link=http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=5e5e949c-989a-47f7-86da-53801510af24>Situation 1: Some guy stabbed and beheaded another guy on a greyhound bus. He gets an insanity plea and walks out free with therapy.

Situation 2: My cousin does heroin and finds himself deported from the United States, he isn't allowed to go back.

Please clarify what I'm obviously missing here.
Was the man who murdered the other guy an American born person? 'cause if your cousin wasn't a citizen, the government would be like "Lets make an example of him!"

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
The meaning of justice changes constantely.While they may not admit it, the US is still pretty Xenophobic and they show that in the sentences they give out.

Tourette

Dec 19, 2009
There is so much in the justice/legal system that is wrong but it has and will always be like that unfortunately as politicians rarely take their heads out of their arses to see what is truly wrong.

Grounogeos

Mar 20, 2009
Insanity pleas are bullshit in my opinion (or at least most of them are). If the guy's competent enough to stab and decapitate somebody, then there's no fucking way he's "too insane to know better".

Either that or they're unpredictable enough that leaving them alive is just begging for the same thing to happen again.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Radelaide said:
lacktheknack said:
So let's see:

<link=http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=5e5e949c-989a-47f7-86da-53801510af24>Situation 1: Some guy stabbed and beheaded another guy on a greyhound bus. He gets an insanity plea and walks out free with therapy.

Situation 2: My cousin does heroin and finds himself deported from the United States, he isn't allowed to go back.

Was the man who murdered the other guy an American born person? 'cause if your cousin wasn't a citizen, the government would be like "Lets make an example of him!"
It isn't 'make an example' as much as 'hes your problem, now'. The US usually deports foreign nationals who commit felonies. Makes more sense than paying to feed and house them for years in a prison. Let their home country deal with them.

Dragonearl

Mar 14, 2009
The law is an ass?. I am not familiar with US laws but if Heroin is illegal and your cousin is not a US citizen then the US (providing what the rules were for entering the country) might reserve the right to deport anyone not upholding to the rules of the state, depending on the severity of the crime. Perhaps your cousin was a repeat offender or there are more implications here than just heroin. The situation sucks but it's unlikely the US deports people for a single offense. Whatever the case may be, your cousin made a conscious choice knowing full well that it was an illegal activity.

Making an insanity plea is something else entirely. If proven insane it shows that you had no idea what you were doing so the court gives you some slack. i.e- you get sent to a facility.

It's not perfect but thats how the world rolls.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Those damn Monkeyfudgers! They deserve to put themselves into jail the bastards!

I mean, I know that nothing in life is fair, but this is ridiculous. Corruption ahoy!

Kontar

Jan 18, 2008
Nibbles said:
Well, if they'd just legalize all drugs already >.>

Psst, vote for me.
This.

Really, the amount we spend on the "war on drugs" is rediculous, we learned our lesson back in the 20's and 30's with prohibition of alcohol, why can we not learn the exact same lesson with other drugs now. Just legalize every drug, and tax them, increasing the tax based on how damaging the drug is to your health.

OT: Yeah that is pretty messed up, but it amazes me what the "insanity plea" will do, in my opinion we should send all insane murderers to death, what are we gaining by keeping them in asylums? Lets be real, those kind of crazy people will never leave the asylums. Plus they murdered someone, so if we live in a country that has the death penalty (which I am against, don't get me started) we should put to death everyone who deserves it, regardless of mental capacity.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
The problem is with the beheader getting off easy (albeit, easy might not be accurate, as he'll probably spend a good chunk of the rest of his life in a padded white room rather than the usual prisons).

But fairness in things is not required, and some guy not getting executed like he shouldn't doesn't make me any less in favour of heroin doing foreigners getting kicked out, I just wish the local junkies could be deported as well.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
lacktheknack said:
So let's see:

The guy who stabbed the other guy on the bus will probably fail his US visa application too. I don't see a double-standard here.

Jou

Dec 9, 2007
lacktheknack said:
So let's see:

First of all, good. Secondly, was he here legally to begin with? In any case, a felony is more than enough reason to get kicked out of a country. Hell in some countries it is the death penalty. He was a retard, he got deported. No foul there.

Cocal

Feb 7, 2009
I don't mean to be a jerk but for one, the guy is not going to see the 'real' world not even with the insanity plea. He's going to spend life in a mental institution or he's going to prison they're not gonna let him in public, at least I hope people are sensible enough not too. And two, if you use anything that is not grown from the earth then you're dumb. Don't get me wrong being thrown out of the country for a drug offense (even if it's the single most evil drug offense of them all) is a bit harsh, also what the fuck is this concept of fair that all humans need to abide by, what the fuck is this? Do you see all the lions sharing a meal with a hyena? Do you see a wolf not kill a sheep because it think it wants to be fair and give it time to live? No because a wolf is fucking hungry. Back on topic, using heroin and supporting heroin is just a really fucking dumb thing to do.

hightide

Kittenkiller
Jun 17, 2009
If by walk away free you mean is stuck in a high security metal hospital, sure its as fair as your cousin doing a pretty nasty drug and getting sent back, really, should your country be forced deal with a drug user simply because he is your cousin? And on top of that, different countries, so its not a fair comparison to start with.

Jun 11, 2008
MilkyFresh said:
Here's a story. A good friend of mine's brother had to flee the country because police stopped him in melbourne and searched his backpack. He had a fake gun (for a drama production he was HEADING TO) and a baseball bat (for BASEBALL). They arrested him and searched his house, found a machete. He had to fly to isreal (on bail i think) or he would get jail time.
5 years ago, they are still looking for him.
In a world where 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted this seems somewhat obscene. Do the fucking cops not have anything better to do with their time?
I think you have found the problem right there like in the town near where I live the Gardaí(police in Ireland) were busy looking for some group of girls that tried to shoplift that were long gone while this guy dealt drugs to another guy not 5 feet away from them.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
lacktheknack said:
So let's see:

I do believe that beheading was in Canada.

Might be your problem right there.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Yup, laws and the courts are messed up in all countries. Its about time it was sorted out, but the MP's and politicians are to busy racking up expenses such as duck houses and bell towers.

Soulkiller3

Dec 4, 2008
Your cousin does heroin, its the type of kick up the arse he needs to relise hes destroying his life?