How to Talk About Games #1

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Grey Carter said:
How to Talk About Games #1

A gentleman's guide to discussing the games o' video.

Read Full Article
Thank you guys for calling gearbox out on there shittyness. Its about time we gamers quit kissing there ass for making like one decent series and the rest crap.

I guess konami is kinda the same in this regard.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
What has Valve made that's full of pubes and broken shards of glass?
At first glance that cupcake looked like it was made of poop, as well as glass shards and pubes.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
V8 Ninja said:
Bindal said:
But what makes the game suck are the bugs, the countless weaponspawns per map, the easy gameplay, the dumber AI, the nerfed Special Infected, the shorter maps, the overpowered melee-weapons, the bright and more colorful lightning...
WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!

I'll let you say those other things, but calling the the melee weapons overpowered is like calling a a kitty ferocious. Sure, they can do damage, but they don't even come close to the damage that their relatives can dish out. To top it off, melee weapons don't even fit with the overall idea of fighting waves/hordes of enemies, something that the L4D games were primarily built to facilitate.
They can kill multiple enemies in one hit even on the highest possible difficulty and kills even Witches in four hits regardless of difficulty. Yes, they are overpowered. There is nothing to discuss here.
Seriously, I rocked Hard Rain Solo Expert with a Katana as my ONLY weapon (except against Tanks and Witches, were I used a Shotgun).
That makes the Melee-weapons a book-example of "overpowered weapon".

Pyrian said:
Bindal said:
L4D2 is everything BUT hard. I solo'd the campaigns there in record-time without any kind of effort.
Solo'ing L4D2 is an incredible claim; I understand it's been done, but it's extremely difficult, as the game was not designed to be played that way and there are many attacks which are easily survivable with help but automatic death without, and there are items that must be carried that render you largely incapable of defending yourself for the duration. Solo'ing L4D2 "without any kind of effort" is an outright not-credible claim.
It's not an incredible claim. It's freaking easy. The Sequel gives you so many tools so you don't need to rely on teammates any more, it's not even funny. On top of that, it spawns so little enemies, you sometimes wonder if you accidentally disabled the AI-Director.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
IceForce said:
Thanks for this bit. It'll fit nicely into quite a few of the gaming threads we get here.

So very true. I even catch myself agreeing with one side or the other sometimes!
Ukomba said:
This comic kinds of comes off like a direct dig at Yahtzee.
How so? Which of his ZP videos or XP columns did this comic argue against?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Pet peeve stumbled upon!

There's no such thing as a "Valid Opinion"

In order for something to be Valid, it must be based in fact. Opinions by their very definition, cannot be facts.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
geizr said:
The constant harping and controversy around Dragon's Crown over one (maybe two) female character(s) is really starting to feel like nothing but bandwagoning and link-baiting for page-hit revenue on the part of Internet game journalists.
We'll be covering this in later issues, but casting slurs on their opponent's motivations rather than addressing their points is the first sign of an idiot. Not saying you are one, I'm just saying that opening your argument with the equivalent of "well people are only saying this because they want money" is beneath you and only serves to undermine your point. As is in the bandwagon fallacy (just because an opinion is popular does not make it wrong.) Also, you haven't really been paying attention if you think the Sorceress and the Amazon are the only controversial depictions of female characters in the game.

Machine Man 1992 said:
Actually, wasn't it some fucknut at Kotaku who first took umbrage with art style, and the artist trolled him back?

Oh, but by all means ignore this little fact to perpetuate this narrative that all gamers are "loud assholes", when the press is calling an artist's designs, "something only a 14 year old boy would like?"
1: Jason Schrierer's (terrible) Kotaku piece was not the first time someone pointed out the game's artwork could be offensive to some.

2: How does one poorly written piece from one site excuse shitty responses to multiple, well-written reviews on completely different sites?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Bindal said:
V8 Ninja said:
Bindal said:
But what makes the game suck are the bugs, the countless weaponspawns per map, the easy gameplay, the dumber AI, the nerfed Special Infected, the shorter maps, the overpowered melee-weapons, the bright and more colorful lightning...
WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!

I'll let you say those other things, but calling the the melee weapons overpowered is like calling a a kitty ferocious. Sure, they can do damage, but they don't even come close to the damage that their relatives can dish out. To top it off, melee weapons don't even fit with the overall idea of fighting waves/hordes of enemies, something that the L4D games were primarily built to facilitate.
They can kill multiple enemies in one hit even on the highest possible difficulty and kills even Witches in four hits regardless of difficulty. Yes, they are overpowered. There is nothing to discuss here.
Seriously, I rocked Hard Rain Solo Expert with a Katana as my ONLY weapon (except against Tanks and Witches, were I used a Shotgun).
That makes the Melee-weapons a book-example of "overpowered weapon".
I'll admit, my experience playing the L4D games has always been on the Normal and Hard difficulties, but I still can't quite understand the claims of power you're giving to the melee weapons. Whenever I've used a melee weapon, I've rarely been able to kill more than a single zombie with one shot. And even then, melee weapons have not always guaranteed me one-hit kills. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or something, but swinging around melee weapons has not helped me whatsoever.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Draconalis said:
Pet peeve stumbled upon!

There's no such thing as a "Valid Opinion"

In order for something to be Valid, it must be based in fact. Opinions by their very definition, cannot be facts.
Nope. Valid can mean simply well-argued or justified. I should have had "can be" in there though.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
V8 Ninja said:
I'll admit, my experience playing the L4D games has always been on the Normal and Hard difficulties, but I still can't quite understand the claims of power you're giving to the melee weapons. Whenever I've used a melee weapon, I've rarely been able to kill more than a single zombie with one shot. And even then, melee weapons have not always guaranteed me one-hit kills. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or something, but swinging around melee weapons has not helped me whatsoever.
You probably are just bad with them because the melee-weapons are in fact hardcoded to insta-gib enemies - unless it's a Witch (4 hits), Tank (20 hits) or Charger (3 hits). And yes, it is completely indiependet from difficulty, meaning they can one-hit-kill on Realism Expert commons.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Interesting how it takes a Gearbox T-shirt to really highlight that Hitler was kind of an emo slob.

That's it - I'm totally canceling my Reincarnated-Hitler preorder. I don't care that it comes with the Berchtesgaden bonus map.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Actually, wasn't it some fucknut at Kotaku who first took umbrage with art style, and the artist trolled him back?

Oh, but by all means ignore this little fact to perpetuate this narrative that all gamers are "loud assholes", when the press is calling an artist's designs, "something only a 14 year old boy would like?"
1: Jason Schrierer's (terrible) Kotaku piece was not the first time someone pointed out the game's artwork could be offensive to some.

2: How does one poorly written piece from one site excuse shitty responses to multiple, well-written reviews on completely different sites?
Two responses popped into my head at the same time, but they basically boiled down to, "Hey, glass houses. I hold professionals in the field to the higher standard than Joe Q Public. Those who take comments on the internet seriously need to take a deep breath, step back, and stop being so bloody serious all the time."

Also, how is having an exaggerated art style "offensive?" Is this more of that PC bullshit? You should know that political correctness was invented by the Soviets!

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
This is the WORST STRIP EVER. OBVIOUSLY it was written by Robohitler.

(tongue -> cheek for the cognitively disabled)

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
Two responses popped into my head at the same time, but they basically boiled down to, "Hey, glass houses. I hold professionals in the field to the higher standard than Joe Q Public. Those who take comments on the internet seriously need to take a deep breath, step back, and stop being so bloody serious all the time."

Also, how is having an exaggerated art style "offensive?" Is this more of that PC bullshit? You should know that political correctness was invented by the Soviets!

So were postcodes and the first video recorder. What's your point?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
IceForce said:
Thanks for this bit. It'll fit nicely into quite a few of the gaming threads we get here.

So very true. I even catch myself agreeing with one side or the other sometimes!
Ukomba said:
This comic kinds of comes off like a direct dig at Yahtzee.
How so? Which of his ZP videos or XP columns did this comic argue against?
Just that Yahtzee in his ZP videos tends to be very binary (almost always towards the bad for comedy sake). Specifically, the panel with the "Non-Delicious cupcake filled with pubes and shards of glass" just comes off like something he'd say in his review. Not only does it look like a cupcake made of sh*t, have broken glass and pubes in it, but also what appears to be a condom. I wouldn't be surprised if he's used that exact analogy in the past to describe a game or an aspect of a game.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So, you're suggesting there should be a conversation about how to resurrect Hitler better? To make shining examples of games we don't want?

SirDerpy

May 4, 2013
Machine Man 1992 said:
Grey Carter said:
Offensive to some, not to all. Not necessarily to him, or you, or I. I can think of a few people who have a stick up their ass who might take offence.

Unless you're trying (poorly) to be sarcastic, your statement would imply a remarkably small understanding of society on your part, if you think that nobody would bat an eyelid at a character model with back-breakingly big breasts.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
So, am I to take from this that, while I (and many others) were making breast puns in the comments section of last week's comic about Dragon's Crown, there was apparently a sizable number of commenters who held these polarizing opinions?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Undomesticated Equine said:
canadamus_prime said:
"...most gamers lack the basic cognitive toolset..."
That's putting it mildly.
And if you dared to post some comment like this in forums and not in comics you would receive a nice warning.
Hey, I was just making a behavioural observation.
Desert Punk said:
You sir truly must get out more! It applies to almost anyone on the internet or off. A large number of people I deal with I am forced to ask myself how these people didnt starve to death with their lack of common sense.
No I mustn't. I used to work in Internet Tech Support, I already know how stupid people can be. I just being generous.