How to Talk About Games #1

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jandau said:
Not only are you completely correct, I like the sneak punch you took at Gearbox. Seriously, every time I hear they are making something new, I cringe...
"Sneak?" That hit with all the subtlety of a freight train.

AND I LOVED IT!

Yes, I'm immature sometimes. Most of the time. Quite a lot of the time.
redknightalex said:
Unfortunately, the whole Mass Effect 3 ending controversy taught me many a lessons along these lines. It was a good game 90% of the time (and most people won't refute that) but it's ending was *cough* controversial at best. Some hated it, bombed MetaCritic, and spammed anyone who even thought the ending was acceptable (ie not bad). At least they had some decent arguments but you don't need to ostracize others.
The ending was shit. Even worse, they marketed it as Fillet Mignon. Now, I'm not going to tell you to go to Hell or die for disagreeing, because that's stupid. I didn't review bomb Metacritic or send threats to Broware, either. I think controversial "at best" is soft serving it. But at the same time, I feel that we, as human beings, can hold different view points.

Also, I didn't like what I played of the rest of the game. But again, I can accept that for others, it was worth it except for the ending. for the same "human beings" thing.

I can have a very harsh opinion, and I will make no apologies about that. I just don't get the point of turning it into a screaming match or death threats or the things we as gamers are expected to do.

But Mass Effect 3 sort of confuses me. The mature part of my brain, the one that tells me mature responses are the best way to handle things and yelling doesn't solve things, noted that even with the dickery Broware threw at critics, eventually there was some form of resolution. Now, that one I'd call controversial at best. But it was a resolution.

Similarly, it was tantrums that got us an end to the constant online connection issues of the Xbone. In gaming, it ALMOST seems like acting like histrionic children is the better response. I suspect, in part, this is because game devs are often hyperdefensive histrionic children themselves, and the only think more horrendous to them than criticism is the threat that their jobs might be threatened.

And I know the bone was also threatened by sales, but I think those were related. Most of the coverage of the online DRM and the like came from the community making a stink. I think even people who wouldn't know otherwise caught it solely because everyone was so mad.

This is why the mature part of my brain ends up locked up so much. >.>

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Deathfish15 said:
What has Valve made that's full of pubes and broken shards of glass?
Team Fortress 2 hats because they look stupid on the characters. And they cost real world munny.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
redknightalex said:
Unfortunately, the whole Mass Effect 3 ending controversy taught me many a lessons along these lines. It was a good game 90% of the time (and most people won't refute that) but it's ending was *cough* controversial at best. Some hated it, bombed MetaCritic, and spammed anyone who even thought the ending was acceptable (ie not bad). At least they had some decent arguments but you don't need to ostracize others.
The ending was shit. Even worse, they marketed it as Fillet Mignon. Now, I'm not going to tell you to go to Hell or die for disagreeing, because that's stupid. I didn't review bomb Metacritic or send threats to Broware, either. I think controversial "at best" is soft serving it. But at the same time, I feel that we, as human beings, can hold different view points.

Also, I didn't like what I played of the rest of the game. But again, I can accept that for others, it was worth it except for the ending. for the same "human beings" thing.

I can have a very harsh opinion, and I will make no apologies about that. I just don't get the point of turning it into a screaming match or death threats or the things we as gamers are expected to do.

But Mass Effect 3 sort of confuses me. The mature part of my brain, the one that tells me mature responses are the best way to handle things and yelling doesn't solve things, noted that even with the dickery Broware threw at critics, eventually there was some form of resolution. Now, that one I'd call controversial at best. But it was a resolution.

Similarly, it was tantrums that got us an end to the constant online connection issues of the Xbone. In gaming, it ALMOST seems like acting like histrionic children is the better response. I suspect, in part, this is because game devs are often hyperdefensive histrionic children themselves, and the only think more horrendous to them than criticism is the threat that their jobs might be threatened.

And I know the bone was also threatened by sales, but I think those were related. Most of the coverage of the online DRM and the like came from the community making a stink. I think even people who wouldn't know otherwise caught it solely because everyone was so mad.

This is why the mature part of my brain ends up locked up so much. >.>[/quote]

The only way to influence game developers and companies is by making a big stink. If people aren't LOUD, nobody will listen to you in the sea of the internet and twitter. So many were going to put up with the Bones bullshit just because they thought it would not matter as long as they could play Halo 5. Unless of course gamers learn to vote with their wallets. But instead they feel obligated to choose one for some reason. Also devs are assholes who feel that gamers owe them something becaues they work hard to make games. (They are also whiny children who think its so unfair that used games exist and that they don't make enough money).

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
SirDerpy said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Grey Carter said:
1: Jason Schrierer's (terrible) Kotaku piece was not the first time someone pointed out the game's artwork could be offensive to some.
Also, how is having an exaggerated art style "offensive?" Is this more of that PC bullshit? You should know that political correctness was invented by the Soviets!
Offensive to some, not to all. Not necessarily to him, or you, or I. I can think of a few people who have a stick up their ass who might take offence.

Unless you're trying (poorly) to be sarcastic, your statement would imply a remarkably small understanding of society on your part, if you think that nobody would bat an eyelid at a character model with back-breakingly big breasts.
I was being sincere.

The art style is in no way realistic, so anyone who is offended by it should instead devote their time to working that pole out of their ass.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Two responses popped into my head at the same time, but they basically boiled down to, "Hey, glass houses. I hold professionals in the field to the higher standard than Joe Q Public. Those who take comments on the internet seriously need to take a deep breath, step back, and stop being so bloody serious all the time."

Also, how is having an exaggerated art style "offensive?" Is this more of that PC bullshit? You should know that political correctness was invented by the Soviets!

So were postcodes and the first video recorder. What's your point?
As it was in my inbox: "Touche"

As it is now: You forgot Tetris.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I think I reread that "From Metacritic's heart, I stab at thee" line a dozen times. And laughed each and every time. Sadly that does seem to be what some people use it for. Even if the game is objectively good.

Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I posted on Twitter after the Dragon's Crown review blow-up that the "middle ground" seems to be gamer culture's Atlantis. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed this.
I disagree. You completely useless blubbering pile of snot. How someone could have such an uninformed opinion and presume to disagree with me about video games. I know all about vidja garmes. You should listen to me. That's your middle ground.

Should go without saying that last paragraph was sarcastic. I actually sadly agree with you. I only ever hear "This is the best game ever" or "This game sucks and you should feel bad for enjoying it". Can't a game be largely good with some bad? Largely bad, but have a few redeeming qualities?

Oh, wait. I forgot. A bad ending completely negates a 95% awesome ride to the ending. My bad.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Pyrian said:
Bindal said:
L4D2 is everything BUT hard. I solo'd the campaigns there in record-time without any kind of effort.
Solo'ing L4D2 is an incredible claim; I understand it's been done, but it's extremely difficult, as the game was not designed to be played that way and there are many attacks which are easily survivable with help but automatic death without, and there are items that must be carried that render you largely incapable of defending yourself for the duration. Solo'ing L4D2 "without any kind of effort" is an outright not-credible claim.
I did it, and while it took me some effort I suck at shooters, I'd call it quite plausible.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Game: The Game was good, I will grant you that, But Game: The Game 2: The Playing, was much better... It involved just enough thumb waggling combined with a hint of button mashing, that I found quite profound.

Toothache of Sauron

Jan 4, 2010
People seems to not know there's a very ample range between the best and the worst. If I say "I like a Porsche 911 more than a Ford Mustang" there's a lot of people who will think I'm saying a Ford Mustang is Trabant level of bad. No. A Ford Mustang is an awesome car; but a Porsche 911 is just a bit more awesome.

Speaking of dragon crown, when do we burn miss Pamela Anderson in a pyre?. Her boobs are so frigging unrealistic, there's no way we could find something like that in a real woman, is demeaning yaddayaddayaddayadda.

IndieGinge

May 14, 2013
Machine Man 1992 said:
SirDerpy said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Grey Carter said:
1: Jason Schrierer's (terrible) Kotaku piece was not the first time someone pointed out the game's artwork could be offensive to some.
Offensive to some, not to all. Not necessarily to him, or you, or I. I can think of a few people who have a stick up their ass who might take offence.

Unless you're trying (poorly) to be sarcastic, your statement would imply a remarkably small understanding of society on your part, if you think that nobody would bat an eyelid at a character model with back-breakingly big breasts.
I was being sincere.

The art style is in no way realistic, so anyone who is offended by it should instead devote their time to working that pole out of their ass.
Could this possibly be one of those "You think it's a sweet cupcake sent by Valve" (to a greater or lesser degree) while people who dislike or are offended all "Oh no they resurrected Hitler's corpse" (And did it well/poorly IDK about Dragon's Crown) things? 'Cuz that's what it looks like to me.

MoeMints

Apr 30, 2013
Hahaha, always like a good use of intentional Godwin's Law.
I do hope there's an actual mention of journalism is applied though.
Well that and also in the case of DC itself, its more about assumption of character in one's opposition and the theme of the game/artist than "This game is awful/the best".

Now back in DmC's whole shenanigans, I totally see this working just with this comic.
Though you'd be more direct to mention the journalism even there.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Heh heh, once I saw a guy recommend Gearbox as the guys to pick up Timesplitters. "Let them do it!" he said.

If they ever get their filthy franchise-killing hands on Timesplitters I will be very frightened for its well-being, to put it lightly. If FRD can make one bad game and die because of it, I feel cheated that Gearbox can make 2 bad games and emerge perfectly fine.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Erin still took a bite out of Valve's pube and glass shard cupcake despite its very obvious topping...

MorganL4 said:
Game: The Game was good, I will grant you that, But Game: The Game 2: The Playing, was much better... It involved just enough thumb waggling combined with a hint of button mashing, that I found quite profound.
Your opinion is different to mine therefore you are WRONG!

Game: The Game is by far the superior title in the series. They just dumbed down the sequel for the mindless button mashing masses; it lacked all the complexity of the original which is why Game: The Game was so compelling in the first place.

You so-called "fans" know nothing! I was playing Game: The Game before it was cool.