How was I meant to know THAT?!

Hugh Wright

Apr 2, 2010
Pick and MMO, what equipment is best for each cahracter/ build? What do these feats/skills acutally do, and what the **** are these people taling about, CC, adds, dps, pull, kite, tank and so on.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
ZehMadScientist said:
OT: I think it in was The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for DS. There was a part at the end of a dungeon where you look at a wall painting with a mark on the top screen and you could see your own map on the bottom screen. All it said was: "Press the map against the stone for the mark to reveal itself", or something like that. I tried every button tens of times but I just couldn't figure it out!

Turns out that I had to close the DS to push the map against the wall (Bottom screen against the Top screen). It felt so obvious afterwards, but I did have a bit of a feeling of 'How was I supposed to know THAT?'
I had a similar experience with that game. At a certain point you have to extinguish a torch to proceed. The hint said that I had to blow them out. Tried every button, every item, ability or combination. No succes. Turns out I literally had to blow on my DS to do it (to be more specific: blow into the microphone).

Kemea

Sep 25, 2009
As has been said before....Minecraft....You can climb a fudging mountain with 1 bucket of water? Say what? xD You can make this...with that...and that...and that? So many oooooohs and aaaaaahs :p

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
That to defeat Cardinal Lagerfeld in Resonance of Fate, you do not jump while performing a Hero Action.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Pretty much every Nintendo game ever. I mean NES games, AVGN stuff.

All of it was very cryptic, and there was NO WAY you could possibly figure it out. What most people don't realize, is this was part of a greater conspiracy to make money from 1-900-Hotlines, where you would call and pay like $2 a minute to have some rep tell you where the sword in the castle was hidden.

They did this for a lot of games. If you get any of the original packaging, and look on the instructions, all of them listed these very expensive hotlines.

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
That you can continually drink water in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas by holding the action button.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
alot of people are missing the point with this thread and complaining about things that are actual puzzles.

Minecraft is the perfect example, where absolutely nothing is explained and nothing is straight forward XD.

My WTF moment was trying to save in dungeonseige 3, turns out i have to step directly into the center of the save point and hit A, despite the game having a save option in its menu which never worked, and my attempt to hit A on the save point was apparently slightly off so i played for about 3 hours without saving because i assumed that walking through the save points autosaved or something.

heh that drinking thing in fallout 3 i figured out on my 3rd playthrough.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Blazing Steel said:
You have to complete the Thieves guild questline, then do 5 loot/smuggal/(other thing) in each of the 5 cities avalible. Pain in the arse I had to look up.
The Thieves Guild post-questline missions abused the Radiant Quests mechanic to no end. Go here and there, back and forth. It was very frustrating. The College of Winterhold was the easiest of the bunch while the Companions handled the post-quesline thing rather well. At least you get something awesome out of it. Totems of Hircine~

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
The Sam and Max games are pretty much based around this mechanic. They're the only games in the universe where it's acceptable though, seeing as how it kinda fits, and the process of trial and error required to find most of the solutions leads to a lot of funny moments.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I just had something like that in Fallout 2. I was supposed to look for a weakness in some rival gang. So I talked to several people, scoured their base for some clue; nothing. Apparently you had to talk to the same guy three times without results before you got the info you wanted. How the hell am I supposed to know?
Eddy-16 said:
That you can continually drink water in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas by holding the action button.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Vegosiux said:
Especially the HHGTTG game.
And then the game lies to you about there not being a door to the west! :(

That game was written by hateful people. Still easier than Suspended.

Eddy-16 said:
... Can you? Goddamn it game :(

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
everythingbeeps said:
Trivun said:
Final Fantasy XII. To get the most powerful weapon in the game, the Zodiac Spear, you have to deliberately avoid opening four specific chests and then open a specific fifth one later in the game - the game gives no clues or hints whatsoever to which four chests you can't open. So if you accidentally open one of those four before getting the weapon, you lose the spear completely. And I wouldn't have even known about it in the first place if I hadn't bought the guide book as well as the game.
That's the one I always think of. Also, to a lesser degree, all the "recipes" in that game where you have to sell a certain combination of a certain number of items in order to unlock more things to buy...there's no way that would be possible without either a guide or an appalling amount of free time.
I'm thirding the Zodiac Spear example, simply because it's the only case I've seen where it's impossible to get without the strategy guide telling you about it. There's no obscure reference to it, no way of knowing about its requirements, nothing. Not only that, but the one requirement (not opening 4 specific chests in the game) completely goes against any logic the game has provided you. There never is, or will be, any indicator that you shouldn't pick up every chest you see in FFXII. Without the guide, it is honest-to-god impossible.

Getting the good ending in Valkyrie Profile gets my #2 spot on this. Again, most of the requirements don't make any sense at all, and there's a whole lot of them. Without being told what to do, trying to achieve it is like pulling teeth... slowly for a few months as you do playthrough after playthrough...

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
The ending of New Vegas (how to get rid of Lanius without having to duck the difficulty and rely on Mysterious Stranger), and also that solar ray gun thing you find about 6 hours after you could possibly have made it redundant... And then most of the 'puzzles' in Sam and Max that make about as much sense as letting me present a radio show and look after freshers this coming october (i'll be a postgrad with a reputation of either being the quiet one with obvious problems or the drunk one who couldnt look after himself...)

There are a few others, which have temporarily slipped my mind, but I shall probably be back...

Captcha: magic decoder ring

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Shadow of the Damned just did that to me. You face off against a boss who in his third form pulls out darkness. Well in every other part of the game if you are in darkness there is always a goat head or an escape because darkness kills. Everyone except this boss who you just gotta stand there and shoot him while in the darkness. No goat head or source of light. Died plenty of times looking for a light source that the game had taught me to look for.

Feb 22, 2009
Most of the mechanics of Dark Souls. Seriously, they say 'At this bonfire you can perfom the rite of unhollowing' and give ZERO EXPLANATION OF WHAT THAT MEANS. I love the game's difficulty in general, but difficulty created by simply not explaining the basic concepts of the game at any point is just bad game design.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Sean Hollyman said:
How to solve the Regi puzzle in Pokemon Gen III. As a kid, that shit was hard as hell.
That takes me back. I remember my sister once stumbling over them and we had no idea what they meant, I think we though that it was some kind of error, but suddenly one day it just clicked and it all made sense and I managed to get it done. However I did find them quite entertaining.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
How many hours that I've lost with Metal Gear Solid when you had to contact Merril. Her frequency was at the back of the CD case....WHAAT CD case!?! I've searched multiple times to the point I gave up...Up until I was cleaning my shelves and saw the actual of the game's case....

**** you Kojima.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
I've come to learn that there's a lot of shit in Zelda that my knowledge of I take for granted. Watching my friends who have never played Majora's Mask before wander around a certain temple or area with a "what the fuck am I supposed to do now" look on their face reminds me that Navi and Tatl are only considered annoying because people generally already know what they're trying to tell you.
I tried in my latest playthrough to stop and think about the game. I know where to go and what to do through sheer repetition, so I made an effort to pick up on hints in the game that would actually lead you to where you need to go. Off the top of my head, I still can't think of any way other than blind exploration to find the frozen Goron Chief, get a Powder Keg license, and get the Garo's Mask.

In Search of Username said:
Most of the mechanics of Dark Souls. Seriously, they say 'At this bonfire you can perfom the rite of unhollowing' and give ZERO EXPLANATION OF WHAT THAT MEANS. I love the game's difficulty in general, but difficulty created by simply not explaining the basic concepts of the game at any point is just bad game design.
I played that for the first time the other day, and I asked my (experienced) friend what it meant to be Hollowed. He said it meant I had no Humanity, which also meant fuck-all to me. I just kind of asked, "Oh, so should I unHollow myself?" And he said no, not when you're entering an area you'll probably die in, or else you'll lose it. Okay, so, apparently Humanity is important enough that I shouldn't lose it, but I still don't know what the fuck it does. I didn't really play it past the tutorial (I don't own it, so I was playing it at a friend's house to get a feel for it) and I figured I'd have learned its use eventually, but like what.

Mar 9, 2010
Podunk said:
Super Monday Night Combat
I hated that game. MNC was friggin' awesome, I stayed up all night waiting for them to bring it online so I could play, it was the only game I've ever done something like that for, and I loved it. Then came the switchover to PC and, since it was free, I figured SMNC can only be an improvement. Big mistake. 3 minutes in I realise it's terrible and delete all the local content. It just seemed like a bastardised version of the original.

OT: Everything about Day-Z. The game gives you literally no help whatsoever and is one of the most unforgiving games I've ever played. Granted that lack of knowledge only serves to add to the game but I had no idea what I was doing when I started. I was searching villages for weapons.

Also, while I'm on Day-Z and have already made a rant, fuck the last guy who killed me. He probably got what was coming to him since he was surrounded by zombies and shot his gun to kill me. I sincerely hope my bandage, tin of sardines and double barrel was worth it.