how would your life be if you never gamed

Shadowphrin

Jan 22, 2011
To be somewhat predictable (although from reading this thread so far, perhaps not...), I'd have more friends (though probably not ones as good as the few I have now), my arse would contain less squishiness, and I'd be able to enjoy my life without gaming-related RSI.

And I might've got that B in History. Darn those releases on the night-before-exams.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
I'd probably be a lot more productive, but I'd also probably be missing out on a lot of great memories, friends, and conversations. I've bonded with a lot of my friends over video games, and after that I learn more things about them.

standokan

May 28, 2009
The same, though I'd probably know more comics, mangas, tv series (mainly everything nerd media unrelated to gaming)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It would probably be more productive. I would simply have sooo much more time and money.

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
I would either have more money saved up, or I would have a larger movie or book collection. Other then that I doubt I would be much different.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Woodsey said:
I'd be more bored during my spare time? I don't know.

Its not a way of life, its entertainment.
Yeah this. I like gaming, but I have tried not to make it a lifestyle, its just something to do when I have free time.

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
I would be really boring person. Well, I am quite boring even with games, but it would be worse.
Also, a lot more TV. My TV has been off for a month right now.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
My life would probably be more boring. I wouldn't be as good in English (wouldn't have had the motivation to be so); wouldn't be familiar with so many memes, jokes, and even general culture, like Greek Mythology; wouldn't have started reading and collecting comic books (my father gave me my first, so I would play less games; my family and friends would know me completely different (I'm the oldest cousin by my Mom's side, and known to be the "gamer grandson"). I would have blown my money on something else, or I would have a lot of money saved; I'm not sure, but I think I might have acquired my greed and "scrooginess" from games (I hate to spend my resources!), so maybe I would be less concerned about how I spend my money; would have had different girlfriends, friends, jobs, lifestyle; also I probaly wouldn't be as connected with my grandpa, since he used to stay by my side, watching me play and rooting for me, especially with Castlevania games.

Yeah, gaming has been a huge part in my life.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I would have far more books. I would have gotten into (and likely finished reading every single) Discworld much earlier. I would also probably be writing more short stories.

I'm glad I grew up gaming though. Gaming introduced me to the writings of Drew Karpyshyn...though in all fairness I would have come across his stuff anyway...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Probably very dull. I need stimulation, for imagination if not just entertainment purposes. I started playing video games back in Atari days. Damn, but I got good at alot of them, and I still have the knack for many of them. Suffice to say, since then I'd also made use of NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Game Gear, Dreamcast, all three Playstations, X-Box, Wii, and computers in my on-going game-playing experience. Without all that, I feel that I would get bored a little too easily and both syndicate and book myself to death. Books are nice, but without variety, I would exhaust the amount of books I am interested in by my current age, easy. And TV? I actually don't watch much of it now, opinions over quality and all that.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
This is kind of pathetic, but without games, I wouldn't have discovered my passion for writing. I discovered how much I love it because I absolutely had to write Zelda fanfiction.

I wouldn't have met/become friends with half the amazing people that I know today, including my best friends and my boyfriend.

This might be a little dramatic, but I probably wouldn't be here today. Video games are a catharsis for me, and without diving headfirst and immersing myself in World of Warcraft when I had depression a while ago, I would have probably gone back to more destructive habits.

As Frost said, "One could do worse than be a swinger of birches."

EDIT: On a lighter note, I also wouldn't have completely discovered my unhealthy lust for elves.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
I would have probably accomplished a lot more in education but sold myself short and stayed in the military and gotten myself killed in some country during a UN tour.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
DanielBrown said:
I'd probably still have my old girlfriend(I dumped her though, she didn't like my gaming!)
Thanks for making me depressed!
Pshh if she doesn't like you playing games then she isn't worth keeping around!

More likely, it's not that she didn't like you playing them, it's that she was incredibly jealous that you were so talented and waaay more attractive than she was by comparison.

*Depression lifted*

As for me, I don't really know. I love playing games, and they probably helped me survive a couple years when I was low on friends, but I haven't shaped my life around them in any way. Probably wouldn't be that different.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
I'd be so much different. I probably wouldn't be going to the school I go to now, and I wouldn't have spent 7 years of my life wanting to be involved in game design.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
DanielBrown said:
I'd probably still have my old girlfriend(I dumped her though, she didn't like my gaming!)
Thanks for making me depressed!
Pshh if she doesn't like you playing games then she isn't worth keeping around!
Truth. So much. If I ever end up with someone who doesn't play games/like me playing games, then god help me.