Humble Bundle Teams Up With Origin

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I wouldn't use origin if I was paid to, so this'll have to be the first Humble Bundle I'll not get.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
happy_turtle said:
Humble are being slated on their own blog now. They've come a long way from their cross platform non-DRM days. No chance in hell of me touching this.
Psssst.

Scroll to the top of the HumbleBundle page.

See the tab labeled "Weekly Sale"?

Click it.

Boom, there's their current cross-platform no-DRM sale, from one of the best indie developers in gaming.

See how many bundles they've sold in the last six days?

Now, compare this to how many bundles EA has sold in two hours.

Hmmm.

I think I'll just stick a middle finger to the idiots attacking Humble Bundle for the insidious crime that is "trying to raise more charity money than normal".

EDIT: Went and read the comments on the blog. I wish to punch 95% in the face over and over and over and over until they get the tiniest bit of perspective and begin acting like sane humans again.

We claim to live in an age of enlightenment and knowledge, but all I see is bull-headed idiocy.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Worgen said:
They take origin off of these then I'll get it.
Denamic said:
I wouldn't use origin if I was paid to, so this'll have to be the first Humble Bundle I'll not get.
MinionJoe said:
Electronic Arts would have to buy me a computer before I would ever risk installing Origin on any hardware that I own.

Anyone who feels the same but wants to contribute to EA's chosen charities, links are below:

snip
Four of the five first-tier games have Steam keys.

Read. The. Blasted. Article. Before. Commenting.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Skeleon said:
Icehearted said:
If they'd wanted to win my money they could have made these DRM free.
Let me yet again reiterate that apparently EA doesn't get any of the money.
I know that, I read that, I wasn't specifically referring to EA.
lacktheknack said:
You don't need an always-on connection for either service...

Also, they removed ALL of the layers of crap. I'm no longer mad at them. Not even for what they're doing to Mirror's Edge 2. As far as I'm concerned, they're once again tabula rasa.
Perhaps not always on, but you are required to check in periodically, monthly or something thereabout. When I moved to my current home I was without internet (except for my 1gb per month on a cell) for 5 months. That meant that any games I owned, fully paid for and all, I was unable to play because of that garbage. The games I could play were GOG and console only, of course the exception to that being that on my Xbox 360 I couldn't play my indies without online access.

So again, it's an internet based DRM, and for that they can suck it.

Edit: I don't know what happened to the quotes. Fixed.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
just bought this, beat the average to access battlefield 3 and sims 3, installed origin (should say reinstalled, but i only ever had it on my last pc) and tried to redeem the codes... and i've got a neverending loading circle and no way to play the games.

I fully expect the issue to be fixed at a later date, but as far as being able to establish a new first-impression after the last time I installed Origin (to play the ME3 demo) it has not done a brilliant job!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Icehearted said:
lacktheknack said:
Perhaps not always on, but you are required to check in periodically, monthly or something thereabout-
False. Four months later, my never-online laptop still opens Steam and lets me play.

Please use correct reasons when constructing an argument against something.

Rogjah

Dec 5, 2012
Skeleon said:
Doom972 said:
Oh, and what happened to Dead Space 2? I'd rather get 1&2 instead of 1&3. That doesn't make any sense.
Heh. You know, now that I think about this, that may actually be intentional...
"What happens between those two games? I want to know!"
"Then why don't you buy Dead Space 2 at the current retail price?"
"Oh. Guess I'll have to."
Man, assuming some hidden motives like that just comes so naturally with EA.
Maybe, or they could be saving Dead Space 2 for the mid-bundle "pot sweetening" that Hunble Bundles generally seem to have.

It seems like a good way to get people invested in Origin. I know I'm way too far hooked into Steam at this point. Seems odd that most of the games have Steam keys too though. Maybe they're trying to earn some goodwill. I mean EA doesn't get money and you don't necessarily have to use Origin (unless you want a game that ends in 3).

I am getting a little burnt out on Humble Bundles though. My backlog of games I never get around to playing just keeps growing and growing.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Icehearted said:
Skeleon said:
Icehearted said:
Let me yet again reiterate that apparently EA doesn't get any of the money. /quote]I know that, I read that, I wasn't specifically referring to EA.
lacktheknack said:

Also, they removed ALL of the layers of crap. I'm no longer mad at them. Not even for what they're doing to Mirror's Edge 2. As far as I'm concerned, they're once again tabula rasa.
Perhaps not always on, but you are required to check in periodically, monthly or something thereabout. When I moved to my current home I was without internet (except for my 1gb per month on a cell) for 5 months. That meant that any games I owned, fully paid for and all, I was unable to play because of that garbage. The games I could play were GOG and console only, of course the exception to that being that on my Xbox 360 I couldn't play my indies without online access.

As far as I know, as long as you log into steam ONCE and then turn on offline mode, Steam will not hassle you to enable an internet connection again unless you try to play a game that requires you to be online... So I think you're wrong about this.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
It's a nice bundle if you like those types of games I guess and it is nice they have Steam support but you still have to deal with Origin for a few of the games and I'm simply not interested in any of those games. Battlefied and Medal of Honour I wouldn't get even if it were for free.

Why is Dead Space 2 not offered? Are they hoping that people who get the bundle are going to buy it full price from Origin so they can continue the story once they beat Dead Space 1?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
This is pretty damn fantastic from EA, I must say. Some excellent games there that you can get for next to nothing. Recommending this to all my PC playing friends.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Sight Unseen said:
Icehearted said:
Skeleon said:
Icehearted said:
Let me yet again reiterate that apparently EA doesn't get any of the money. /quote]I know that, I read that, I wasn't specifically referring to EA.
lacktheknack said:

As far as I know, as long as you log into steam ONCE and then turn on offline mode, Steam will not hassle you to enable an internet connection again unless you try to play a game that requires you to be online... So I think you're wrong about this.
Seconded. Steam is always in offline mode on my laptop and I was never forced to go online. Even better, in recent patches they made it so if your last Steam session was online, you closed Steam, and now want to run it again but aren't online, Steam will run on offline mode. So that complaint is no longer relevant in the slightest.

As for Origin - no idea. Never tried using it offline for extended periods of time.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MinionJoe said:
lacktheknack said:
Four of the five first-tier games have Steam keys.

Read. The. Blasted. Article. Before. Commenting.
Ahem...

Humble Origin Bundle games available on Steam:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Dead Space 1
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Mirror's Edge
Medal of Honor
From http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition - Online play requires a MyCrysis account
Dead Space 1 - Contains inert SecuROM
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - requires EA Account
Mirror's Edge - requires EA Account, single-player only
Medal of Honor - requires EA Account
Just because an EA doesn't require Origin doesn't mean they're not going to sneak some malicious DRM or online requirements onto your system.
Completely and entirely irrelevant to my post. The three people I was quoting were complaining of forced Origin use, which they were 95% chance complaining about because people think it's brimming with spyware and rootkits (it's UBISOFT that's doing that, dammit!). Guess what the EA account can't do.

Not that the EA account is even an issue. Once you've logged in, you never have to do it again... ever. It's there for survey and counting customers. We've been doing this since the early 2000s.

If that's somehow still unacceptable to you (because you refuse to use logic and are the pettiest man in existence), then fine, don't buy it.

Inert SecuROM = dead SecuROM = relic SecuROM = not DRM.
EA Account = not DRM or "online requirement".

Leave the sensationalism to Daily Mail, please.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Worgen said:
I've already got the ones of those on steam I care about, the only 2 that interest me are dead space 3 and bf3, but both of those require origin.

Reported for jerkiness.

Beyond that, you gave no context. If you want people to respond to your posts correctly, give them correct context. Withholding relevant info and then being smug when someone doesn't read your mind doesn't make you clever, it gets you on ignore lists.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Doom972 said:
Is this opposite day? What's going on? WHERE ARE MY PANTS???

Oh, and what happened to Dead Space 2? I'd rather get 1&2 instead of 1&3. That doesn't make any sense.

Still buying it.

EDIT: Aaaand can't redeem any keys on Origin right now, probably due to massive traffic.
Glad to see it's not me. Redeemed all the steam ones effortlessly, tried Origin and just eternally loading. Same for when it nags me for security questions to be set.

This is honestly a great deal but I'm gonna have to wait til tomorrow to redeem any of the Origin stuff.

Minor criticism: Why the fuck isn't in BF3 Ultimate? Even as like a $10 stretch I'd throw in for that.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Welp, guys, I'm calling it. EA have been taken over some kind of sinister alien intelligence. The world has now actually ended. Sure, you apes might putter up some resistance against the mailed tentacles of your new overlords, but let's face it, we all know it's not going to work out.

On a brighter note, it's the latter half of 2013, so my estimate of 2015 was right rounding to the nearest half century. SUCK IT MAYANS.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MinionJoe said:
lacktheknack said:
Completely and entirely irrelevant to my post. The three people I was quoting were complaining of forced Origin use, ...
I said nothing about "forced Origin use". I said I would not install Origin on any PC I owned. Given that not all of the games in the bundle are available through Steam, one would have to install Origin if they wished to make full use of the offer.

Read. The. Blasted. Replies. Before. Commenting.

;)
Ohhh, a half-context.

See what I told Worgen.

And that wasn't even my point. Gor a dollar, you end up with four usable games. If you're going to whine about that, you'd better have a damn reasonable explanation for it.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
dragongit said:
But I'm giving them money... which is bad... damn these conflicting emotions.
All of the money goes to charity, none of it goes to EA.

I only got this for Dead Space 3. I bought that at release and never got it, even after contacting their support 4 times. I had all the other games apart from Medal of Honor, so I redeemed the codes for Dead Space 3 and Medal of Honor and put the rest of the codes up for grabs in a Tumblr text post.