HuniePop Dev Offers $1 Million for Right to Publish Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 in US

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
Fappy said:
HoniePot comes off as being completely clueless in these tweets/comments. I doubt any big dev would be comfortable handing the reins over to a group who doesn't even know what the localization license is worth.
He's a creep looking for creep cred with his creep buddies, it's not a serious offer because the game isn't the point.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:
HoniePot comes off as being completely clueless in these tweets/comments. I doubt any big dev would be comfortable handing the reins over to a group who doesn't even know what the localization license is worth.
He's a creep looking for creep cred with his creep buddies, it's not a serious offer because the game isn't the point.
Yeah, that's probably the case.

I just learned about this silly DoA nontroversy tonight. This is Hatred all over again.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
DemomanHusband said:
...(By the way, DOA is the main fighting game series, Xtreme is the Beach Volleyball.) All the characters, girls included, have personalities.

What really peeves me though is the idea that a game with fanservice must be developed only with the fanservice in mind. The mechanics in the early DOA games were wonky to be sure, but they gradually got better with every installment. Xtreme is a more cut-and-dry case, but that then leads back to the silly argument that a game designed around fanservice is bad in any sense of the word.
That's what I was working with, since that much I did know. :3 I just wish it was advertised less as "watch these boobs bounce" and more "there's an actual plot, and not in the anime-joking sense of the word."

I guess the main problem is that a game designed to be just fanservice and more fanservice isn't really much a game, even if it's got everything else that defines a game. I'd continue, but the COC isn't something I want to get any closer to regardless of relevance.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
You know what I think is the funniest part of the issue?

In a logical sense, There really isn't much fodder for complaint of sexualization for DOAX. In fact, I would even go so far as to dare say a videogame about women playing beach volleyball is completely justified in putting them in bikinis.

You know, cuz they're on a beach. It's a pretty standard choice of dress there. Or so I have read.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
Fappy said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:

I just learned about this silly DoA nontroversy tonight. This is Hatred all over again.
Company decides not to bring over game series that has always sold like trash=THE SJW CONSPIRACY IS WINNIMG, TAKE OUR IDIOT DOLLARS OH GLORIOUS PLAYASIA

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'd imagine the business plan would be to get it ported to Steam, which has a growing market for weebo's that the dev is familiar with.

...The type's of games I'm far more familiar with than I'd like to be since I play old-style JRPG's from Square/XSeed/etc games on Steam the lovely recommendation feature has interpreted this as I want to see all the anime boobs too.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:

Company decides not to bring over game series that has always sold like trash=THE SJW CONSPIRACY IS WINNIMG, TAKE OUR IDIOT DOLLARS OH GLORIOUS PLAYASIA
Well, to be fair, Dead or Alive seems to garner far more journalist/blogger (which funnily enough, seems to be interchangeable as convenient for the sake of preserving or denying the existence of 'journalist cred') ire than Hatred ever did. The thing with DOA is that it delivers on what it offers, which is improving gameplay with a nice smattering of fanservice. For some reason, outlets like Kotaku and the people they draw find DOA to be an affront to every woman, living or dead. (I'm sorry.) They then go out of their way to, of course, say that there is no controversy, no one ever had a problem with it, and there most certainly isn't a trend toward localization teams cracking down on fanservice as if it were some sort of illicit drug.

All I'm saying is that it's not so much a 'SJW conspiracy' as it is a worrying trend among people who would be rightfully labeled SJW.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Irridium said:
So, with them talking about how they're not releasing the game because of debates about women in games or whatever, is anyone else going to point out the DLC for Dead or Alive 5 Last Round?

You know, all those skimpy outfits and whatnot. Plus the fact that if you for some reason want to buy ALL the DLC it'll cost you literally hundreds of dollars? On the Xbone/PS4 there's TWO season passes for new costumes costing $93 each. And those don't include all the old outfits, which I think also have a $93 pass if you want them all. And on Steam if you want it all it's about $402.37. And that's with the current sale price. Without it the cheapest costume pack is $19, and it has no season pass or individual purchase so you have no choice but to buy a bunch of stuff you don't want to get something you do. Again though that's only on Steam. On consoles you generally buy whatever costume you want on your own. Assuming you can navigate the clusterfuck that is the game's dlc store page. Christ.

Also the Steam version still doesn't have the two maps the PS4/Xbone versions have.

Just some things I feel we should all keep in mind during all this.
I was wondering if this would ever be brought up, that collection of DLC really made my jaw drop with the ridiculousness of it all. Not sure why it hasn't been a problem brought up before. I'd imagine perhaps because the fans don't put a price on appeasing their hormonal urges. It certainly wouldn't be accepted from a passionate gaming collective. It is a weird niche. It isn't aimed at gamers, yet, anyone looking for titties can get them for free online...so, why would anyone pay for a full game just to see someone else's idea of perfect, pixelated women bounding about in the sand like oblivious rabbits so the wolves could drool and drop their wallets to get more to see? There are no doubt obsessives, those that consider these creations real and even praiseworthy. Hah! That is more a heavy "hah" than usual.

OT: This reeks of marketing tactics, these people aren't dumb, they saw their IP falling in sales and took a clever business initiative decision. I could think of a lot more useful things to spend a million dollars on, but it's his money, he can waste it on whatever he considers worthy. The amount of effort, manpower and money that must be put into this game, only makes me wonder and worry for these creator's mindset. Though, it could merely be seen as nothing more than a recession-proof business investment, sex will always sell to the lowest common denominator. Logically. It is a saddening world, fueled by desire and greed. Where are my despair kittens?!

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
DemomanHusband said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:

people who would be rightfully labeled SJW.
Nobody has ever "rightfully" labelled anyone SJW.

Also literally nothing else you said is relevant, this isn't DOA, the latest of which came out this year just fine (well not fine, buried under microtransactions, but you know), this is the volleyball shit. Shit which has never sold well in the West. If they don't bring it over (and they probably won't because it's not worth it), that isn't going to stop you from getting an English version if you really want to.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
To be fair to the increasingly-smaller sales, I can see why the Huniepop dev offered to publish it here. It might've been a calculated risk, it's possible that some might buy it simply because of being contrary, to spite any SJW who support Tecmo keeping it in Japan for that alleged reason, and to make sure to remind Tecmo that there's a market for their games here (in case they decide to make the Dead or Alive or Ninja Gaiden franchises unfortunate crossfire targets to this mindset).

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
FredTheUndead said:
DemomanHusband said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:

Also literally nothing else you said is relevant, this isn't DOA, the latest of which came out this year just fine (well not fine, buried under microtransactions, but you know), this is the volleyball shit. Shit which has never sold well in the West. If they don't bring it over (and they probably won't because it's not worth it), that isn't going to stop you from getting an English version if you really want to.
You seem a bit angry that the 'volleyball shit' is a part of the DOA series. You also seem to find it to be, well, shit. You also seem very eager to call people creeps for enjoying games such as this. As a matter of fact, you also seem unable to understand the idea of a 'niche title' or a 'niche market.' Most niche games never sell spectacularly well, but they sell enough to justify their continued creation and support. I'm not sure why you're angry, but I can tell you right now that you're acting exactly like the so-called journalists that bash DOA whenever they please. Also, I fail to see how 'nothing else I said is relevant' considering that I was talking about opinions toward DOA as a whole, and I'm pretty certain I've seen many hitpieces involving DOA Xtreme. Perhaps in the future you can try to act less confrontational over a game and its fans?

I mean really, what's your problem with games that include fanservice? Why is it suddenly 'creepy' to enjoy sexiness? I'll never understand the trends of the past few years.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
DemomanHusband said:
FredTheUndead said:
DemomanHusband said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fappy said:

You seem a bit angry that the 'volleyball shit' is a part of the DOA series. You also seem to find it to be, well, shit. You also seem very eager to call people creeps for enjoying games such as this. As a matter of fact, you also seem unable to understand the idea of a 'niche title' or a 'niche market.' Most niche games never sell spectacularly well, but they sell enough to justify their continued creation and support. I'm not sure why you're angry, but I can tell you right now that you're acting exactly like the so-called journalists that bash DOA whenever they please. Also, I fail to see how 'nothing else I said is relevant' considering that I was talking about opinions toward DOA as a whole, and I'm pretty certain I've seen many hitpieces involving DOA Xtreme. Perhaps in the future you can try to act less confrontational over a game and its fans?

I mean really, what's your problem with games that include fanservice? Why is it suddenly 'creepy' to enjoy sexiness? I'll never understand the trends of the past few years.
I understand the concept of a niche title, and am saying said niche is not large enough for TK to bother bringing the game over (because it isn't). The rest of your post wasn't relevant because the fuss is over DOAX, not DOA. Though if you want to talk about DOA we could talk about how much of it grew in the moldy depths of Castle Itagaki. I don't really want to though.

I call the Huniepop dude a creep because he is a creep. See: his "field research" videos or rants about how "SJWs" were out to slander Huniepop just because of a big ol' scoop of casual racism and weird sexism.

Tits are fun and cool, enjoy tits responsibly, and without harassing others (unlike Huniepop Man or Itagaki).

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
FredTheUndead said:
DemomanHusband said:
FredTheUndead said:

I understand the concept of a niche title, and am saying said niche is not large enough for TK to bother bringing the game over (because it isn't). The rest of your post wasn't relevant because the fuss is over DOAX, not DOA. Though if you want to talk about DOA we could talk about how much of it grew in the moldy depths of Castle Itagaki. I don't really want to though.

I call the Huniepop dude a creep because he is a creep. See: his "field research" videos or rants about how "SJWs" were out to slander Huniepop just because of a big ol' scoop of casual racism and weird sexism.

Tits are fun and cool, enjoy tits responsibly, and without harassing others (unlike Huniepop Man or Itagaki).
Ah, I can't say I've heard anything about the Huniepop dev. I know Itagaki's weird, but I just know it comes with the territory. I'm just usually not too keen on people who throw out 'shit' and 'creepy' as descriptors, it always reminds me of people who use #killallmen unironically and then try to act like their condemnation of sexuality is 'cute' and 'forward thinking'. I still say that less successful niche titles should at least get a chance overseas, especially if said niche title is a spin off of a relatively well-liked main franchise.

Also, I'm really, really not sure where you're getting the idea that the controversy over DOAX and DOA are considered separate. Earlier we had a poster who didn't seem all that aware of the difference. It's through no fault of their own, Tecmo Koei titles tend to have rather ridiculous spin off schemes, but it also leaves both franchises to be seen as a whole. Which, of course, leads to the hitpieces that don't even bother distinguishing. Not to offend, but it really comes off as an insincere way of separating the complaints levied against the series as a whole. I'm not sure what benefit one would gain from separating those complaints, which confuses me even more.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
DemomanHusband said:
FredTheUndead said:
DemomanHusband said:
FredTheUndead said:

Ah, I can't say I've heard anything about the Huniepop dev. I know Itagaki's weird, but I just know it comes with the territory. I'm just usually not too keen on people who throw out 'shit' and 'creepy' as descriptors, it always reminds me of people who use #killallmen unironically and then try to act like their condemnation of sexuality is 'cute' and 'forward thinking'. I still say that less successful niche titles should at least get a chance overseas, especially if said niche title is a spin off of a relatively well-liked main franchise.

Also, I'm really, really not sure where you're getting the idea that the controversy over DOAX and DOA are considered separate. Earlier we had a poster who didn't seem all that aware of the difference. It's through no fault of their own, Tecmo Koei titles tend to have rather ridiculous spin off schemes, but it also leaves both franchises to be seen as a whole. Which, of course, leads to the hitpieces that don't even bother distinguishing. Not to offend, but it really comes off as an insincere way of separating the complaints levied against the series as a whole. I'm not sure what benefit one would gain from separating those complaints, which confuses me even more.
I mean I agree niche titles deserve a chance, but DOAX has had that chance. Twice. And the sales were terrible. So you can't be surprised that a company as blatantly cutthroat as TK would drop it.

Itagaki is not merely weird, he's a literal sex criminal, it's why he was fired. But even gone, DOA still bears a lot of his touches and TK as a company doubles down on them with their insane DLC schemes.

I am counting them as separate because they are. This DOAX thing broke very specifically because of some (now deleted) community manager posts on TK's fb page and PlayAsia grabbed onto the whisps of evidence they could in order to incite #gg nerds into importing the game en masse.

That is different from the existing commentary in DOA.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
EyeReaper said:
You know what I think is the funniest part of the issue?

In a logical sense, There really isn't much fodder for complaint of sexualization for DOAX. In fact, I would even go so far as to dare say a videogame about women playing beach volleyball is completely justified in putting them in bikinis.

You know, cuz they're on a beach. It's a pretty standard choice of dress there. Or so I have read.
I'd say "there have been worse justifications," but that both assumes it's a justification and that it's not one of the best reasons for skimpy clothing. I still think (since I typed it a few hours ago) that opting to advertise things other than the weird jiggle physics would be a better idea, but I'm not in marketing so my opinion doesn't matter. :p

RandV80 said:
I'd imagine the business plan would be to get it ported to Steam, which has a growing market for weebo's that the dev is familiar with.

...The type's of games I'm far more familiar with than I'd like to be since I play old-style JRPG's from Square/XSeed/etc games on Steam the lovely recommendation feature has interpreted this as I want to see all the anime boobs too.
I'm sort of in the same boat, but for the most part I stick to the JRPG section and avoid the visual novels, if only because owning one is enough for me. :p

DemomanHusband said:
FredTheUndead said:
Ah, I can't say I've heard anything about the Huniepop dev. I know Itagaki's weird, but I just know it comes with the territory. I'm just usually not too keen on people who throw out 'shit' and 'creepy' as descriptors...
He's a fairly terrible person, but if I continued that, I'd rather just quote something I said earlier instead of typing it again. :p

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
weirdee said:
There used to be more room in the market, but they were literally shoved out of the pool by AAA practices, so the pool does seem to have a limit, and things will have to be swapped out for others unless the pool was expanded somehow, but there's an ongoing issue where any new space is immediately occupied by AAA after it becomes viable. It's not as cut and dried as it sounds. There is no motivation or room for diversity without another expansion or purge.
Well.
I don't mean to be inherently disagreeable, but... I kind of disagree.
The AAA games industry has been a pretty stark and awful force against diversity of virtually any kind, but the corporate effort to make video games a For Boys thing has been going on since the end of the 1970s. Back in that time, the common marketing knowledge for entertainment was that you sold to The Family. You can look back and see advertisements for arcade cabinets, home consoles, even Lego sets that all featured men, women, girls and boys playing with their products.

Around the 80s, marketing's trend of focusing on individuals really started getting out of control, and pretty soon all the presumption of girls playing video games completely disappeared without any real explanation- other than that we had been told, very subtly, that this was the case by marketing people with a mission. Everything that's happened since then has been the legacy of more and more aggressive, cynical focus-grouping market-testing bilge.

So while that doesn't refute the idea that AAA is not filling the bill, there's two reasons why I still think the idea of a purge is inherently bad:

1. AAA gaming is Hollywood. They will never get anything right. You can't trust them with nuance because they can't do nuance. Even on the off chance that they manage something with some finesse, it has to be within their comfort zone in one way or another because the lumbering colossus that is that finance machine just can't make those tight turns. So even if we managed to convince them to focus on the rest of us, they'd merely scrutinize us with that same awful microscope, boil down the elements of what we like, and regurgitate that at us endlessly in ways that completely cheapen it. So trust me when I say that leaving the Dumb Market to the Dumb Consumer is a blessing in disguise, even if it doesn't seem like it.

2. The backlash. Look how much counter-culture has already happened despite how little ground we've made. Can you imagine how much worse it would get in light of something like that? I mean it would be worth it if that would get us something great, but as I explained in number 1, it would be a Pyrrhic victory at best.

Honestly, the expansion angle is the only way we're getting anywhere, and that doesn't involve throwing people out of the pool. We've gotta convince more people to get in.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
MC1980 said:
This is like the time when Notch went all "let's make Psychonauts 2 happen" and then backed the fuck off when he was told how much money it would cost. (Not like he couldn't actually do it now, what with him being a billionare.) Huniepop guys' 1 mill is lowballing it, hard.

Reading the thread, not a lot of people have clue on what good sales numbers are for a game like this, or the main Dead or Alive games in general.

Winnosh said:
First game sold about 300k
Second sold 140k
Third game sold 50k
I'd like to see the receipts on the first 2 numbers. Also, third game sold what?, it hasn't even released yet.

Diablo1099 said:
Hope they don't expect that thing to sell like hot cakes, The best selling of that series barely broke Half a Million Units [http://www.vgchartz.com/game/482/dead-or-alive-xtreme-beach-volleyball/] and it's sequel got like Half of that [http://www.vgchartz.com/game/481/dead-or-alive-xtreme-2/].

Hell, I think they would make more money from The HuniePop Devs buying publishing rights then from the game itself.
Vgchartz numbers are made up by some bullshit algorithm. They're inaccurate to the point of being completely useless. Shame too, because those numbers would mean that X1 sold amazingly and X2 sold decently.

Windknight said:
Uh.. can't anyone who actually wants it just import it? Koei are probably getting all the sales they want/need via that route, so don't actually need to bring it over.
You are vastly overestimating the amount of people who import videogames.
Diablo1099 said:
That and with the sales figures, it makes a lot more sense then shipping out possibly millions of disks and only selling like 300k of them.
They'd never ship that much, and 300 would be great actually.
There are three games in the series, the third one was PSP exclusive.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Laggyteabag said:
Well, that was certainly not a news story I was expecting to read.

I guess HuniePop sold a whole lot better than I originally expected.
Oh once that whole situation with Twitch being borderline forced by consumer demand to let it be streamed, HuniePop got insanely popular.