Hyrule Warriors illustrates what I love about Nintendo

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Sorry OP, I can't agree with you that taking established characters and sticking them in other already existing game types makes for creative and original games. Not to mention Nindendo have been doing it since the NES days so the concept itself isn't even new.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Neronium said:
Hero of Lime said:
Oh definitely, I know there was even a One Piece DW game at some point, and I still want to try one of the Gundam versions at some point. It's exciting to see a spin off for a Nintendo franchise that isn't Mario, I hope they keep the trend up.
There are 2 actually. The first one goes through all arcs up to the Whitebeard War Arcs conclusion, and shows a bit of the post 2 year time skip stuff. The second game goes all the way to Punk Hazard's arc. I will say that they are a bit quick time event happy, but they are fun, but that might be my inner One Piece fanboyism. The Gundam games are a bit hit or miss really. First one didn't feel that good, but the second one was a lot of fun I remember.

Really for Hyrule Warriors, because I know some people will see my comments and think I'm anti-everything Nintendo, I'm really excited for it. My friend and I are getting it day one, and were planning on doing so since it was first announced (I got my friend into Zelda in the first place). But I won't sit by and act as if it is the most original thing ever and the first time a company has ever done it. First time Nintendo's done it, which I'm glad, but this is definitely not as original as the OP makes it sound.

I also can't help but want an Xbox One for the Master Chief Collection, but I really don't want an Xbox One, at least not for a while. :/ It doesn't help that they just showed some of the remastered cutscenes, makes it harder to resist.
Believe me, I've been holding it back right now as well. Halo is really the only thing besides Banjo Kazooie that I turn my 360 on for anymore, and even then it's rare. I find that I honestly love the universe more though, but the chance to get the remastered Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4 is nice. I just wish ODST and Reach would be included, especially ODST which is severely underrated if you ask me.
Woot, One Piece 4TW. I might have to get the One Piece DW games, but I'll wait for now. Did you get the Unlimited World Red game? I heard good things about it and ordered it, which I will get to playing around in August when I get home. Really look forward to playing as Franky, cause he's my favorite.

Agree on the originality part. It's not original, but it's different for Zelda and seeing the stuff it definitely works for the franchise as a whole, especially since they have so many games in the series now to take characters from. I wouldn't be surprised if they make new ones every once in a while, especially if it's a hit. They could tweak the existing characters and add some new ones. They could add different enemies from the various games into the new one, as well as new level designs as well. I'll definitely have to get this game, despite the fact I was never into Dynasty Warriors before. This is one of those games I can play when I don't want to have to think to much about stuff, and just take out a bunch of enemies at once. Hopefully Nintendo will try doing more stuff like this. Even if not original, having a variety of genres is always a good thing.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
TehChuckles said:
Nintendo.

The only company that is doing everything we wanted and then more, only to be kicked into the ground because they come out with nothing new. ignoring Splatoon, Xenoblade, and the Wonderful 101 (because they're not Mario Zelda or (insert childhood games series here)). yet we still buy "muscle-bound shooter game 15 (now with side boob)" from Exploiting-Ass Studios.
Yea good for Nintendo for making Splatoon, though I don't know if I'd be singing it's praises considering the game is still like a year out...
And yea praise Nintendo for making Xenoblade and the Wonderful 101...even though Monolith and Platinum Games developed them.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
AzrealMaximillion said:
gargantual said:
I think you're forgetting a good chunk of the foundation of Sony's success. They've always had a knack for selling Japanese sleeper/cult hits to the worldwide market at a massive rate for comparatively. Stretching back to ever the PSOne. Games like Bushido Blade and Tehcnu have pretty big fanbases. Metal Gear Solid was one hell of a home-run in sales. Then there's the weird cult hits coming from both Eastern and Western publishers (a lot from Sony itself) like the Oddworld games and PaRappa Da Rapper.

Also making JRPGS outside of Japan mega-popular.

The PS2 was that but times a 100 with titles like Katamari Damacy, Mark of Kri, GodHand, Veiwtiful Joe, etc.

Not saying Nintendo's consoles don't have libraries with lots of acclaimed cult classics, but the PS consoles tend to have way more of them. And they tend to have a much higher chance of selling well enough to continue with Worldwide released of games from Japan. Games like Yakuza 1 and 2, as well as Way of the Samurai and Dynasty Warriors.

Sony's flexibility on Japanese games getting worldwide releases has always been a point that Nintendo has ignored. People has to scream so loudly) even with Zelda Williams) with Operation Rainfall to get some good localized JRPGs on the Wii.

Now I'm not saying the PS3 didn't have some problems selling some of those cult classics at the same rate as the PS2, but its hard to knock Dark Souls considering the only reason it was released outside of Japan was word of mouth got to more than a loud minority worth of people. Yakuza's devs are finding it hard to justify porting later games in the franchise and a large bunch of the IPs made famous on the PS1 PS2 days (Tenchu, Bushido Blade) have been sold of too different devs and kinda ruined. The PS3 was still the console that realistically had constant JRPGs for the large of amount of people that wanted them. The Wii didn't have too much in that department and frankly JRPGs sell better on Nintendo's handhelds these days unless their the Tales of Series. Then they get put on the Sony Console.

My point is that Sony still has a bucket of variety when it comes to games. If your looking at it from a "What are the usual big publishers making" perspective, its lamesauce and sequalitis, and will be for a while. But so far every generation since its first, the PS brand has had a large amount of varied cult classics that sell well. I honestly think Sega's biggest mistake when they were in the process of ending the Dreamcast was putting games like Shenmue and Jet Set Radio Future on the original Xbox and not the PS2. I get that at the time they never would have, but it really hurt them during that generation until Yakuza 1 and 2 blew up in the Western market.
Oh yeah I notice that. I think they've noticed that as well, thats why they've opened themselves to be more flexible for indie studioes. Returning to their strengths. For me i'm just recalling mistakes from the earlier part of the 7th gen where Japan's biggest franchise games (FF,MGS,Resi Evil) became cynical and chased too hard after aspects of western-appealling games instead of focusing on what made their games uniquely engaging in contrast. I used Dark Souls as an example of "if you build it they will come." If something is genuinely fascinating in gameplay, people are going to pick it up regardless, and it doesn't necessarily have to blow up the charts within first release weeks. which counters the idea that something has to completely mimic the popularity of big western franchises to get noticed is all.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Super Cyborg said:
Woot, One Piece 4TW. I might have to get the One Piece DW games, but I'll wait for now. Did you get the Unlimited World Red game? I heard good things about it and ordered it, which I will get to playing around in August when I get home. Really look forward to playing as Franky, cause he's my favorite.
I recommend Pirate Warriors 2 over the first one, as that one goes farther and has missions like playing as Kuma to defend the Thousand Sunny from people attacking it during the 2 years. As for Unlimited World Red, I'd of gotten it on the Wii U, but it's 15.2 GB and is digital only in the US while it's physical for the other systems here. The difference between the console and 3DS/Vita versions is that there aren't any motion cutscenes, and they are all character based with changing text like how the 3DS version of Sonic Generations had. Instead I got Unlimited World Red for the PS3, which actually allows crossplay and cross-saves on the Vita, as well as downloadable DLC for the Vita version being transferable to the Vita via PS3.

Agree on the originality part. It's not original, but it's different for Zelda and seeing the stuff it definitely works for the franchise as a whole, especially since they have so many games in the series now to take characters from. I wouldn't be surprised if they make new ones every once in a while, especially if it's a hit. They could tweak the existing characters and add some new ones. They could add different enemies from the various games into the new one, as well as new level designs as well. I'll definitely have to get this game, despite the fact I was never into Dynasty Warriors before. This is one of those games I can play when I don't want to have to think to much about stuff, and just take out a bunch of enemies at once. Hopefully Nintendo will try doing more stuff like this. Even if not original, having a variety of genres is always a good thing.
Thing also is, Nintendo isn't developing this game, it's all Omega Force and Team Ninja. Nintendo is just allowing them to use the characters. Nintendo can interfere, saying it wouldn't want it's characters portrayed as a certain way, but that's about it. Not to mention Nintendo actually aren't the only publishers, as Tecmo-Koei is also publishing it.
Really I'm just glad it's not another Mario spinoff really, and DW games are the safest thing a company can do it Japan because of how popular they are, so it will take of in Japan for sure. Again, I'm excited for the game, and glad Nintendo is finally trying new business strategies, but they still have a ways to go. Nintendo on a game front is fine and will probably be fine for ages. But on company policies, they are terrible at times, especially with region locks and the LP fiasco which still affects me.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Neronium said:
OtherSideofSky said:
One Piece (which is so big in Japan there is a chain of stores that sell only One Piece merchandise) have done it twice each.
...you must tell me which Province these stores are in, and possibly where they are!? 0__0
Million Monkeys.
I remember seeing stores in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto two years ago when I was living in Japan. I can't remember exactly where they were, but I remember they were all inside major shopping centers (I wasn't going out of my way looking for them and just passed by them on my way to other shops). I've also seen a couple shops that are all Shounen Jump merchandise and have enormous One Piece displays.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Hyrule Warriors also uses old weapons and characters from past games nicely, from Midna being a playable character (from Twilight Princess) to full-power gauntlets (from Ocarina of Time) helping Link throw pillars more than ever. It's that kind of tribute that makes me love Super Mario 3D World, from its rushed levels with time-saving pickups (from Galaxy 2) to a level based on the insult "Super Mario 3D Land? More like Super BLOCK Land!"

And they're both fun to play. That's important for games to stand the test of time.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Neronium said:
Super Cyborg said:
I recommend Pirate Warriors 2 over the first one, as that one goes farther and has missions like playing as Kuma to defend the Thousand Sunny from people attacking it during the 2 years. As for Unlimited World Red, I'd of gotten it on the Wii U, but it's 15.2 GB and is digital only in the US while it's physical for the other systems here. The difference between the console and 3DS/Vita versions is that there aren't any motion cutscenes, and they are all character based with changing text like how the 3DS version of Sonic Generations had. Instead I got Unlimited World Red for the PS3, which actually allows crossplay and cross-saves on the Vita, as well as downloadable DLC for the Vita version being transferable to the Vita via PS3.

Thing also is, Nintendo isn't developing this game, it's all Omega Force and Team Ninja. Nintendo is just allowing them to use the characters. Nintendo can interfere, saying it wouldn't want it's characters portrayed as a certain way, but that's about it. Not to mention Nintendo actually aren't the only publishers, as Tecmo-Koei is also publishing it.
Really I'm just glad it's not another Mario spinoff really, and DW games are the safest thing a company can do it Japan because of how popular they are, so it will take of in Japan for sure. Again, I'm excited for the game, and glad Nintendo is finally trying new business strategies, but they still have a ways to go. Nintendo on a game front is fine and will probably be fine for ages. But on company policies, they are terrible at times, especially with region locks and the LP fiasco which still affects me.
Cool, I'll look into Pirate Warrior 2 at some point then. I did order the day one edition for the PS3, since all the costumes came with it, and I didn't want to take up all that space on the WiiU for it.

Yeah, I know it's not being developed by Nintendo, but I meant to say it was nice that the system was getting another type of game, even if it is just a reskin of a safe and existing franchise. Nintendo definitely has a ways to go. While they don't need to follow everything the competition is doing, but some of the stuff they are doing needs to change. Along with the things you said, they need to do better with the storage amount of the system, especially when they start expanding their download stuff even more. I know they are getting better, but some of the online stuff could be better, or at least that's what I heard since I don't do online stuff much. Hopefully over time they will fix that stuff, but for me personally, I don't have any major complaints with all the upcoming titles. Though I really want more info on SMT X FE, because that sounds cool. Probably hear more about it once all the Persona stuff has been released.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You know how everybody feels like Nintendo is doing great, how everybody feels like they "won" E3, how everybody feels their economic business model is somehow untouchable because Sony and Microsoft are duking it out on their own? It's hard to build an argument on feels.

Nintendo is doing anything but well. Its shares have consistently dropped for the past 7 years. They lost over 80% of their value so far. It only managed to sell 5% of its target (Wii U) for the fiscal year, and it has more or less recently cut its Wii U sales forecast from 9 million to 2.8 million. That's 30% of their original intentions. They don't think they'll even manage to make half as much money as they originally thought they would. They've recalculated their profit from 55 billion yen to a comparatively measly 25 billion. Hell, the president of the company himself has been quoted as saying "My duty, more than anything else, is to revive our business momentum".

So they did another spin-off of one of their most bankable videogame series, right next to Link's Crossbow Training and Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love. How bold! Truly they've outdone themselves with Legend of Zelda spin-off N° 34. And you know what, I'm sure it'll make for another fun cute game. But seriously, treating this like it's the second coming is just trying too much.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
You know how everybody feels like Nintendo is doing great, how everybody feels like they "won" E3, how everybody feels their economic business model is somehow untouchable because Sony and Microsoft are duking it out on their own? It's hard to build an argument on feels.

Nintendo is doing anything but well. Its shares have consistently dropped for the past 7 years. They lost over 80% of their value so far. It only managed to sell 5% of its target (Wii U) for the fiscal year, and it has more or less recently cut its Wii U sales forecast from 9 million to 2.8 million. That's 30% of their original intentions. They don't think they'll even manage to make half as much money as they originally thought they would. They've recalculated their profit from 55 billion yen to a comparatively measly 25 billion. Hell, the president of the company himself has been quoted as saying "My duty, more than anything else, is to revive our business momentum".

So they did another spin-off of one of their most bankable videogame series, right next to Link's Crossbow Training and Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love. How bold! Truly they've outdone themselves with Legend of Zelda spin-off N° 34. And you know what, I'm sure it'll make for another fun cute game. But seriously, treating this like it's the second coming is just trying too much.
While Hyrule Warriors certainly isn't the answer, it is one of many parts of the equation that Nintendo is in right now.

When people say Nintendo "won" E3, it means that they relied on the least amount of bullshit, and showed off the most reasons for purchasing their console. After hearing something about Starfox for WiiU I'm instantly sold to get the thing on monday.

Nintendo isn't in a position to make the WiiU become the Wii again, but with the right amount of releases at the right times (AKA, their current line-up) They can turn this thing into another Gamecube and at least make it neutral.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Matthew Jabour said:
Elijin said:
Good point, a title which is essentially a clone of an existing genre (in this case large scale beat-em up) which is just running a novelty roster of characters from one of their other IPs totally is breaking new ground for Nintendo.
Okay, to verify your point, I'll need you to show me:
1) A game playing in the style of Dynasty Warriors that already existed in Nintendo's lineup.
2) Any other company that has done a similar thing.
3) Some reason why Nintendo doing something they have never done before (and indeed, nobody has ever done before) does not translate to 'breaking new ground for Nintendo.' Want a thesaurus for that last one?

You seem to have missed my point entirely.

Which is, you're touting this like its something new and amazing, when Nintendo taking an existing format (whether they have used it or not does not alter the fact the format is pre-existing and they're just lifting it), sticking in a bunch of characters from one or more of their IPs and and presenting you their new game? Not even remotely new. Sums up what, half? of their IP releases in the past.

Im not particularly commenting on whether its good or bad. Just saying its more or less a tried and true formula with them. Take IP, mix with pre-existing genre, ship title.

Some people think its lazy and thus the rehash argument, others are genuinely pleased by seeing their beloved IP characters within another genre they enjoy. Im not making a comment either way on quality here.

Also side not, the idea that Sony and MS dont have platform driving IPs is silly. Maybe you dont like those IPs, but there are definitely titles that drive the platforms. Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, Halo, Gears of War, Forza to pluck some from the air. You not being a fan of their IPs doesnt mean they dont support the console. Just like how if Nintendo detractors dont like what happens with the Nintendo IPs, doesnt stop those games from supporting Nintendo.

Your entire attitude is ridiculous.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Neronium said:
OtherSideofSky said:
One Piece (which is so big in Japan there is a chain of stores that sell only One Piece merchandise) have done it twice each.
...you must tell me which Province these stores are in, and possibly where they are!? 0__0
Anyway, you are right, Sony doesn't have any franchise that is really so big that they can pull a Dynasty Warriors spinoff. The only two franchises that come to mind are the Ape Escape franchise, which is really popular in Japan, and the Ratchet and Clank one. Even then, I think the only one that could slightly work would be Ape Escape, which has already gotten it's foot wet when it comes to spinoffs in which you play as multiple characters with varying skills, strengths, specials, etc. : Million Monkeys.
A Metal Gear Warriors is sounding really appealing to me right now...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Matthew Jabour said:
Okay, to verify your point, I'll need you to show me:
1) A game playing in the style of Dynasty Warriors that already existed in Nintendo's lineup.
2) Any other company that has done a similar thing.
3) Some reason why Nintendo doing something they have never done before (and indeed, nobody has ever done before) does not translate to 'breaking new ground for Nintendo.' Want a thesaurus for that last one?
1. Has nothing to do with his point.
2. Vigo gave you a list, so you should know by the time I respond. This is seriously becoming more and more common.
3. Well, if we descend into semantics far enough, we can argue anything is breaking new ground. But an ensemble cast on a tried-and-true genre? That's how we got Smash Brothers and Mario Kart in the first place. Is it new ground in any meaningful sense? No. Hell, it's not even Nintendo's first Warriors crossover (Pokémon Conquest), so you have to dice the line super fine here.

Sorry, but I just think you're digging to justify this.

Hell, I think you were digging in the first post. You used a Yoshi game that borrows the "yarn" aesthetic to demonstrate how Nintendo is doing unexpected things. At this point, I'm starting to think Omega Force is just as innovative, since they had the unexpected foresight to make a Dynasty Warriors game with samurai. And, I mean, nobody had made a Dynasty Warriors game with gundam before, either.

This isn't new behaviour. The point that they've never made a game exactly like this before relies heavily on technicality, rather than praising them for actually doing new things.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
Rednog said:
TehChuckles said:
Nintendo.

The only company that is doing everything we wanted and then more, only to be kicked into the ground because they come out with nothing new. ignoring Splatoon, Xenoblade, and the Wonderful 101 (because they're not Mario Zelda or (insert childhood games series here)). yet we still buy "muscle-bound shooter game 15 (now with side boob)" from Exploiting-Ass Studios.
Yea good for Nintendo for making Splatoon, though I don't know if I'd be singing it's praises considering the game is still like a year out...
And yea praise Nintendo for making Xenoblade and the Wonderful 101...even though Monolith and Platinum Games developed them.
I'd Disagree. Splatoon deserves praise for it's a new take on First person shooters, levels of innovation I personally think compete with the original portal. The use of your ammunition to create pathways and hinder the opponents that Tactically and Strategically create greatly unique experiences on the battlefield. I cannot wait to try these new depths.

also yes, Good on the the Developers for making them and putting in the hard yards, yes. though they probably wouldn't have been as good as they were if it wasn't for Nintendo themselves easing the burden of funds and with The Wonderful 101 providing great insight over the course of development. the problem is that Nintendo is seen as being afraid to put new characters on the shelf. last time they developed a "Viable Candidate" (according to my understanding of the community) in-house we had Cpt. Olimar in Pikmin. a great polished story with fun characters all around, while exploring what was effectively RTS on Consoles which I have never really enjoyed except for a few choice cases. but Nintendo is obviously trying to create new and fun experiences all the time and they just get shrugged off for being "For Kids". we could also had Kid Icarus and Punch Out!! if we include blowing dust off of 10 year old artifacts.

Most of the "Problems" with Nintendo are somewhat Imaginary. sure we have our large amount of Mario's and Zelda Titles. we also get a CoD Every year, Halo has even Jumped the shark for me, I loved everything up to Reach. only console I know that are putting up new cannon on their shelves like machine guns is Sony with the last of us, Beyond: Two Souls, and Heavy Rain in the last generation. and that's without scaring 3rd party support away with what I like to call the most hilarious controller to use while drunk.

I am not good with this forum stuff. I tend to ramble when I have time to think.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Nintendo is doing better, but Hyrule Warriors is not the reason. In fact, Hyrule Warriors is a lateral move at best. Sure, it's not what they always make, but it's Dynasty Warriors with Zelda characters. No matter how you dress it, it's not ground breaking. It might be out of their comfort zone but simply breaking your comfort zone just to clone something else is hardly admirable. Had they used it as a starting point to combine with Zelda and make something not entirely either game, then they would deserve praise for that, but adding nothing new to a genre besides new skins and maybe a few new attacks is hardly praise worthy.

Splatoon, that's what Nintendo is doing right. Wonderful 101 is Nintendo doing right. Pikmin is what Nintendo is doing right. Hell, even Pokemon X and Y was Nintendo doing something right, while it wasn't amazingly innovative, it still did some new stuff with the Pokemon games without being a clone of something else. It was a justifiably new game. Hyrule Warriors has little to no justification for its existence.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
TehChuckles said:
Most of the "Problems" with Nintendo are somewhat Imaginary. sure we have our large amount of Mario's and Zelda Titles. we also get a CoD Every year, Halo has even Jumped the shark for me, I loved everything up to Reach. only console I know that are putting up new cannon on their shelves like machine guns is Sony with the last of us, Beyond: Two Souls, and Heavy Rain in the last generation. and that's without scaring 3rd party support away with what I like to call the most hilarious controller to use while drunk.
Indeed, I do find most of the complaints from naysayers tend to be completely false OR they're not negatives, they're just descriptive. The "no new franchises" thing (my questions of when and why people got so obsessed with "new IPs" is for another time) is what gets me every time. And even IF that were true, Nintendo has repeatedly brought up the giant elephant in the room: what is the point of just making a new IP if it doesn't truly do anything new? Bring that up and suddenly the critics shut their mouths 'cuz they don't really have anything to counter it with logically. Making a new IP means nothing without making new gameplay. If you can't do at least that, then all you've done is reskinned something that already exists. That's not being creative, that's being complacent.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
Aiddon said:
Nintendo has repeatedly brought up the giant elephant in the room: what is the point of just making a new IP if it doesn't truly do anything new?
Thank you so much for putting it into words for me! I Thought I had a sturdy point in my head some where. Just happened to be in yours! ha ha!

Like going to the treatment of Valve, they have stated that they won't bring out the game that everyone begs for is because at this point it won't bring anything new to the FPS Genre like it always has.

But back to the topic at hand (though we really do need a "New IP Obsession" Thread).

Everyone at Nintendo, I love you guys, I really do. you do nothing but Produce and Develop great well polished games while every so often dipping your toes in a new pool to test the waters. I should of bought a Wii U much earlier than I did. I'm having trouble getting though all the games that are all ready out before Smash Bros Wastes my life away again!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nintendo breaks new ground with Fanservice the Game? I think Square kinda beat them to the punch on that one.

I suppose this illustrates why Nintendo fans and non-fans but heads constantly -- The former love the same characters getting used in each consecutive game, which is precisely what the latter hates. But then I'm sure even fans are desperate for something new from ol' Ninty, what with everyone losing their shit over the new Link maybe, possibly being a girl.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Nintendo breaks new ground with Fanservice the Game? I think Square kinda beat them to the punch on that one.

I suppose this illustrates why Nintendo fans and non-fans but heads constantly -- The former love the same characters getting used in each consecutive game, which is precisely what the latter hates. But then I'm sure even fans are desperate for something new from ol' Ninty, what with everyone losing their shit over the new Link maybe, possibly being a girl.
Thing is, this is a fairly common thing. The only thing that makes it uncommon with Nintendo is just how fanatical the fans can get in defending their franchises.

And I get where they're coming from: there's nothing wrong with more of the same if you enjoy it. From books to movies to music to food, we all want enjoyable repeat experiences. We want familiar experiences. We may or may not also want something new.

What seems to make Nintendo fans different is how quick they are to insist something is new and innovative whether it is or not. Not only have other licensed franchises been involved in doing Warriors games, but a couple of them have been significantly more out of left field. Instead, it's "look at how new and innovative this is because it's from Nintendo who make new and innovative things so it must be new and innovative!"

Imagine if, rather than mocking Riley, CoD fans took to the internet proclaiming adding a controllable dog was new and innovative ground for the series. And yeah, I get that there's a pushback between CoD fans and non-CoD fans, but has there ever been such a reliance on insisting things are new and different?

Novelty is a part of Nintendo's marketing and PR on a level rivaled by few tech companies, let alone gaming companies.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Thing is, this is a fairly common thing. The only thing that makes it uncommon with Nintendo is just how fanatical the fans can get in defending their franchises.

And I get where they're coming from: there's nothing wrong with more of the same if you enjoy it. From books to movies to music to food, we all want enjoyable repeat experiences. We want familiar experiences. We may or may not also want something new.

What seems to make Nintendo fans different is how quick they are to insist something is new and innovative whether it is or not. Not only have other licensed franchises been involved in doing Warriors games, but a couple of them have been significantly more out of left field. Instead, it's "look at how new and innovative this is because it's from Nintendo who make new and innovative things so it must be new and innovative!"

Imagine if, rather than mocking Riley, CoD fans took to the internet proclaiming adding a controllable dog was new and innovative ground for the series. And yeah, I get that there's a pushback between CoD fans and non-CoD fans, but has there ever been such a reliance on insisting things are new and different?

Novelty is a part of Nintendo's marketing and PR on a level rivaled by few tech companies, let alone gaming companies.
To be honest though, the only big Nintendo fans I know are from this site. And with them it's typically how Nintendo is the Moon on a silver platter and everyone else is dogshit. I'm sure there are plenty of fans that like Nintendo and Sony and Microsoft. Like Two Best Friends. Though I will admit, when I hear them going gaga over two new old Nintendo characters being added to the roster in Smash they sound like weird space aliens.