I am a male, but always make a female player-character.

odBilal

Feb 7, 2009
MassiveClitAttack said:
I think you're a closet heterosexual.

I always make the hulk. I think I'm mentally retarded.
I dont know why but this made me laugh out loud. And now everybody is looking funny at me because im actually at work ¬.¬

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Da Orky Man said:
In Mass Effect, although my main is male, I prefer my female character because Jennifer Hale sounds so much better.
I know, right?

After playing through the entire game with a female character, the male Shepard voice actor sounded so... boring.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
Honestly? I just find playing a female badass more appealing. There's something about a heavily armoured juggernaut being female, just because it's cooler. I have no idea why, but it just appeals more than the usual male beefcake.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
If you always make female characters, it means that deep down, you hold women to be 'superior' in some way to men (for want of a better term). This could be because you see them as more powerful, more fun, more manipulative; any number of reasons.

Likewise someone who always makes male characters believes men to be superior to women.

It's pretty common for one to have the subconcious impression of one gender besting the other.

Jan 23, 2010
I don't know why this is an issue and why people feel the need to defend themselves with: If I'm going to look at an ass it might just as well be female. What? Can't you look at a man for 10 minutes without being crippled with fear of "the gay"?

Anyway, when I play RPGs, I actually play them for the Role playing, you know the RP of the acronym RPG.
So I make whatever character I like and I don't care what people think. As an added bonus, my female undead rogue in WoW got lots of free stuff for some reason.

My favorite character so far has to be my Mage in the pen and paper game Ars Magica, and I roleplay a female. No one else seem to think that is weird. After all, the sweetest and most innocent person I know is roleplaying a pyromaniac that accidentally burns stuff. I would say that is just as much of a difference of character between himself and his Ars Magica character.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
I'm a male and if I get the choice I choose to play a female. Generally if I'm going to have a butt on screen for hours on end I'd prefer to be staring at a female's.

beeejay

Dec 15, 2009
I generally play as a girl unless its an online game in which case I generally pick males. Mass effect started me off on this.

May 25, 2010
I'm male and usually make male character. The only exception is the Mass Effect series where I wouldn't dream of playing maleShep. His voice actor is horrible.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
If you are going to be looking at the backside of a character for the next umpteen hours it might as well be an attractive one.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
I do on occasion, just for RPing sake. Only on singleplayer RPG's as for MMO's I stay true and go male, partly to avoid the harassment and potentially awkward conversations.

TheAmokz

Apr 10, 2011
Justyn Stahll said:
I usually make my character female based on this quote from Rooster Teeth (they were playing Skate 3)

"Why did you make a Girl?"

"Well, Because I'm going to be looking at the this person's ass for X-hours so....might as well be a girl's"

thats why
Pretty much this.

Also, i prefer strong female characters over those overused walking steroid factories knows as men.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I play them 50-50.

People tend to be nicer to female characters, myself included, even though they know it's probably a guy.

Also the ass-factor.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
I just realised that I only make girl characters when they're the only option. (I think)

eg. Character classes where being female comes with the class. Like the Rogue from diablo.

or its a game where the main character(the character you play) is female.

Other than that i don't think i've played many/any games where you have a choice in the matter, so i haven't really given it much thought.

and i only just realised so now XD

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
McCa said:
I do on occasion, just for RPing sake. Only on singleplayer RPG's as for MMO's I stay true and go male, partly to avoid the harassment and potentially awkward conversations.
I don't see how RPing a female in an MMO could lead to awkward conversations. In my experience (and my sister's), you don't get asked after your real gender by roleplayers encountering your character for the first time.

And in the nearly four years that I've been roleplaying females in an MMO environment I've only been harassed through tells/whispers ~once~.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I'm a guy and I really don't mind what gender my character is. My Hawke and Shepard are both male, but my Fable 3 character was female, and I can't picture playing through any of those games with the other genders.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
If you're going to stare at something for 20+ hours, it might as well be cute.

I tend to make both male and female characters. Though I favor males a bit more since I like to RP.

Vaar

Aug 21, 2009
I tend to differentiate between what I see as characters and what I see as avatars. (characters for me mostly being offline game with plots revolving around said characters, whereas avatars being characters you fill the role of yourself, ie mmo's).

I'm fine with playing games where I control a female Character, but if it's a player avatar, a female avatar feels too out of place whenever I try it.

Probably because said avatar represents me in this world, rather than just following the story of another fictional character.

If any of that makes any sense to anyone else

Liquidus_Hime

Mar 10, 2010
I am known for making Female characters. It's become my "thing" in games with customization characters. Also the females of most games often look eons better than the males so I go with what looks best or cooler :D In my MGO days the Haven Trooper suit was THE thing to have and the chicks got bikini tops, I can't ignore my basic manly man interests lol