I Am Alive Dev Claims Mistranslation, Says PC Might Still Happen

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Amnestic said:
OutrageousEmu said:
So, the guy accuses PC gamers of acting like assholes, and you act like assholes. Then, when he says it was a misunderstanding by some games journalists, you guys double down on being assholes....what part of this was meant to prove the guy wrong about you?
-I kick you in the balls.
-You object.
-I apologise, stating that I thought that when you said "How'd you like to go get some pizza?" you meant "Please kick me in the testicles", a common mistranslation if you happen to be Hungarian.
-You're still angry.
-I question why you're doubling down on being an asshole. It was an honest mistake!

See where I'm coming from with this?
Replace "object" with "tell everyone to shiv them in the kidneys" and you're in line with some of the comments I saw.
Link? I don't recall anyone wishing death on the guy, certainly not a majority.

Wolfbane_Daoine

Mar 2, 2011
Amnestic said:
OutrageousEmu said:
So, the guy accuses PC gamers of acting like assholes, and you act like assholes. Then, when he says it was a misunderstanding by some games journalists, you guys double down on being assholes....what part of this was meant to prove the guy wrong about you?
-I kick you in the balls.
-You object.
-I apologise, stating that I thought that when you said "How'd you like to go get some pizza?" you meant "Please kick me in the testicles", a common mistranslation if you happen to be Hungarian.
-You're still angry.
-I question why you're doubling down on being an asshole. It was an honest mistake!

See where I'm coming from with this?
Completely agree with you on this, they could definately have used a far less combative tone in their recent interviews. That they didn't speaks volumes. As does the completely lame translation defence.

Also, my not too distant ancestors were Hungarian and you'd be surprised at how often this still happens during conversations. Awkward.

Jun 11, 2008
I have to say that is not a mistranslation usually when you say something in a language you tend to not use words of which you don't know the meaning. This is really seeming like Ubisoft just trying to draw attention to their games at this point and going the MW route of controversy then apologise.

OutrageousEmu said:
Can you get over this thing you have with PC gamers you give all PC gamers mostly nothing but grief and love nothing more than to come onto threads and just aggravate it. Are you just being trollish/looking for a flame war? I really do not understand this pointless vendetta against PC gamers with you. I've been here long enough and seen enough of your posts to know it is not really justified in the context of this forum.
Zhukov said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Zhukov said:
Ah well, at least it's funny seeing him try to distance himself.

Hell hath no fury like a PC gamer with an internet connection, apparently.
That's right because users of other platforms don't throw shit fits when they think they are getting a raw deal, oh wait....
I'unno, do they?

On this site it's mostly us PC types I see pumping the rage. The Escapist folks know it too, that's why they report on this sort of thing. Outrage is probably second only to good ol' sex when it comes to generating hits.
Yes every gamer throws t3h r@g3 around on these forums it is not predominantly PC gamers plenty of console gamers and every other type of gamer like to ***** too. The utter abuse PC gamers got about the MW 2 boycott on this site was damn near appalling compared to how people usually treat these topics. Even some of the contributors couldn't help but get in a few jabs at the PC gamers.

So was complaining about something that has been standard since the first game in a series and PC gaming in general so bad? It is no worse than the shitstorm that happened when PS 3 gamers bitched about Sony removing the "other OS" feature. I do not remember PC gamers giving PS 3 grief about that though.

Sometimes people on this site seem to have quite a short memory.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
wow. if you make a statement the least you could do is stand by it. also i think he is an idiot. did i mention English is not my native language?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Glademaster said:
It is no worse than the shitstorm that happened when PS 3 gamers bitched about Sony removing the "other OS" feature. I do not remember PC gamers giving PS 3 grief about that though.
It was primarily PC gamers who warned that messing with people who install Linux on whatever technology they have at hand isn't the brightest idea if you don't want the entire workings of your system pulled apart, analysed and posted around the net for all to see (between 'My car's onboard computer is now running Debian' and 'Linux Smartphone - here's how').

Jun 11, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Glademaster said:
It is no worse than the shitstorm that happened when PS 3 gamers bitched about Sony removing the "other OS" feature. I do not remember PC gamers giving PS 3 grief about that though.
It was primarily PC gamers who warned that messing with people who install Linux on whatever technology they have at hand isn't the brightest idea if you don't want the entire workings of your system pulled apart, analysed and posted around the net for all to see (between 'My car's onboard computer is now running Debian' and 'Linux Smartphone - here's how').
This is based on what someone posting on their PC? Really? That is a common joke about Linux users that they try to stick it on everything even your toaster so you're saying it was mainly PC gamers who said this? I'm sorry that does no compute and many PS 3 gamers did complain about it are also complaining about EA at the moment. Does that make them whiners? No it doesn't no more than it makes PC gamers whiners I have no problem with people standing up for themselves and their consumers rights.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"their being no version of [I Am Alive] for them,"
THERE? Must be another case of lost in translation or something? :\

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
So... is Ubisoft going to claim that their comments about the PC version of Ghost Recon were also mistranslated? That he mistook the word for 'pirate' for 'customers with higher demands of graphic fidelity', and 'free-to-play' in French sounds remarkably similar to 'a version with an interface optimized for the PC'?

No Ubisoft, your honesty was the one thing you had going for you in this whole fiasco. Admit it, stop vaguely suggesting PC versions of your games, sell your PC excusive IP and their studios to publishers that have at least a sliver of respect from the PC community, and move on.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Why do people keep thinking Ubifails makes PC games ?

They dont, at all... not anymore, and not for a long time now.
They may occasionally toss the PC platform a piece of emulated console code that barely runs on a PC, thats it.

PC gamers, for once stick to your guns and show Ubifail how much impact the PC platform has and simply dont buy thier damn ... emulated console software.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
ASnogarD, the problem is they still publish PC games. Although I hear they're really trying to make Settlers work with a controler (as opposed to putting some effort into making it work on the PC for a change), they still stick PC exclusives with their trice-cursed DRM. I'd have bought Anno 2070 and Might and Magic Heroes 6 by now if it wasn't for that DRM. I'd be happy to let this stuff drop if they stop holding PC classics hostage with a DRM that their own PR department now admits doesn't stop piracy at all, since they claim their PC ports would be pirated by 95% of the players.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
hannes2 said:
I still highly doubt that the "95% of you are pirates" part was mistranslated. Other than that, if it actually was a mistranslation, that means there might still be a PC version of I Am Alive, although I´ll believe that when it happens. And if there isn´t, the whole correction is meaningless, because all I care about is whether or not I can play the game
And if there is, I won't give a shit. I have waited a long freaking time for this game, but fuck Ubisoft. Telling your customers that they are pirates is bad. Making your customers sound like whining bitches is also bad. Supporting Ubisoft after they have basically called me a whining, thieving prick would be a stupid move to make, even before they then also assumed that I would be stupid enough to believe this "Mistranslation" bullshit.

On another note... this is my second angry post in a row. I should go play some Skyrim to calm down.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not surprised this happened at all. Consider both the games they recently said, "fuck you, pc gamers", about. Both those articles had upwards of about 400 comments on just this site. Imagine the entirety of sites that cover this sort of thing, then add in your twitters and facebooks. You end up with a digital shit storm of people hating Ubisoft. My thoughts though, I wouldn't buy/play these games if they paid me to at this point. They have said fuck you to the PC crowd in the past, this is just the first time they outright said fuck you to us.

This relationship was dissolved a little while back, this past week just reinforced that I was right to sever my ties.

Edit: And as proof of my ability to follow through: Today I almost bought Might and Magic Heroes 6 and Anno2070, and upon noticing who published them, I didn't.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
This is the most pathetic ass covering I have ever heard.

A better thing than blaming poor English is to admit he made a mistake and has since seen the light.

Though it's interesting... it's almost as if he is afraid of pissing off PC gamers. Is this what Ubisoft sees in us:

"So? You don't like PC gamers? What a shame.

It is also a shame what happened to Sony's Playstation Network. They never did catch who did it... did they!"