I Am Alive Producer Dismisses "Bitching" PC Gamers

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Yeah, bitching to give you money. We are bastards aren't we?

Hmm, and why do you think only 50k copies would be sold of a "PC port 3 months later" when all the buzz for the game and marketing has gone, in likely a different part of the year where there is different competition.

OK, 12-coders working for 3 months, I don't know how much those particular coders earn but lets take Ubisoft's claim at face value that 50'000 sales won't break even. 50'000 sales at $30 (a VERY LOW estimate of the price they would sell this game for) with a 30% cut from Steam (a very HIGH estimate of Valve's fee) works out to $21 per sale which is $1'050'000. (PS; this actually means on steam for half the price publishers earn more per sale)

So what does this mean a coder is working for in salary equivalent, given there are 12 of them working for 3-months, lets say each of their share is 1/4 of a typical salary. So that would work out to each coder earns an average salary of:

at least $350'000

Now remember, marketing has already been done, there are no platform licencing costs on PC, the game is made and ready to go, all that is needed is the port, though it appears the stickler is Ubisoft is generous enough to employ their coders with a $350'000 a year salary which soaks up all the costs!

Or might it be they are paid considerably LESS than that! Game Developer magazine survey found the average was more like $95'000 with $75'000 salary for lower level coders (like porting, where 10k unit sales would break even). I suspect that 50'000 unit sales on Steam and that would be most likely very profitable and even draw many people into a game that would pique their interest from further games either from the same franchise or same developer!

I have to say personally, I'm not exactly desperate to play this game on PC... or at all to be honest.

It's just the disingenuous attitude I don't like.

If they think this game isn't suitable for PC, fine, be that way, some games don't belong on PC just like some PC games don't belong on console. Like Quake Arena, I mean what the hell, try doing a rocket jump with a gamepad!

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Wow, what a douche. I'm not even a PC gamer and that guy pisses me off. You couldn't have just politely said no? Instead, he says "I hear you whining, but you are all pirates or cheapskates anyway."
Well, why would he politely say no, if the pc gamers are bitching, ( we all know how vile people on the internet can be ). I for one give ubisoft a +1 for balls of steel.

OT: All i have to say is , NEENER NEENER PC GAMERS ! * flame sheild up *

Real OT: Well that's too bad , but i r a console gamer so i will pick it up if it's good.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I wish every company had the attitude of "don't like DRM? fine, we won't publish on PC"
The total death of PC gaming would be the most hilarious day ever where publishers just get fed up with pirates and boycott the PC. Oh it would be glorious.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
krazykidd said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Wow, what a douche. I'm not even a PC gamer and that guy pisses me off. You couldn't have just politely said no? Instead, he says "I hear you whining, but you are all pirates or cheapskates anyway."
Well, why would he politely say no, if the pc gamers are bitching, ( we all know how vile people on the internet can be ). I for one give ubisoft a +1 for balls of steel.

OT: All i have to say is , NEENER NEENER PC GAMERS ! * flame sheild up *

Real OT: Well that's too bad , but i r a console gamer so i will pick it up if it's good.
Ubisoft deserves to be bitched at and boycotted. Have you seen their DRM?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I wonder if they're not porting it to PCs because they know it's going to crash and burn anyway.

I mean this is the game that's disapeared from view, been cancelled, uncancelled and cancelled again - it's not a development history that promises good things.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
"Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it's not a massive cost but it's still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it's not worth it."
12 guys three months, average salary, say 4000 $
12 * 3 * 4000 = 144.000 $ cost.

Lets add some extra cost for office space, energy, coffee, donuts and the managers private massagist, the heck, lets just double the figure:

288.000 $ cost.

Now 50.000 people by the game, price of a new game 49 $.

50.000 * 49 = 2.450.000 $.

Of course not all of that money goes to the developers. Say retail, logistics, and gnomes get a 75% cut:

0.25 * 2.450.000 $ = 612.500 $

612.500 $ income
-288.000 $ cost
------------------
324.500 $ profit!

Fine. You don't want our money!? WE DON'T WANT YOUR STUPID GAMES ANYWAY!

This 100% certified, unbiased, scientific calculation was brought to you by
PC gamer pissed off by bad console ports.

By the way, I have never heard of the aforementioned game before.

Edit:
Treblaine said:
OK, 12-coders working for 3 months, .....
I am impressed that your independent, scientific research yields almost the same results as mine.

Edit2:
lazarus1209 said:
"Even if it only took a team of 12 guys three months..." Let's do some math...
Actually I meant to quote you, the 300k figure of the guy above is something else.

DannyBandicoot

Sep 11, 2011
This is what pirating games with no intention of buying it does to companies. I think they are right to be so dismissive.

Dec 9, 2009
Well the guy is a bit of a dick, but I do give him some respect for speaking his mind. Regardless if it's a good game I'll buy it, if not then I won't. There will always be games that don't make it somewhere or another.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I didn't even know what this game is, but I can tell you that after reading this, I don't want it no matter what platform it's on. And not just because it's a Ubisoft game and I avoid Ubisoft games like the plague anyway because they're usually terrible this time. Also because Mettra is a douchebag [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_QDGdbg-QQ] and is made of stupid [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yytbDZrw1jc].

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Interesting how they seem to go with the Qantas method of situation handling.

"Someone is bitching? GROUND ALL THE PLANES, DO IT NOW I DONT CARE WHO WE PISS OFF"

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
DannyBandicoot said:
This is what pirating games with no intention of buying it does to companies. I think they are right to be so dismissive.
Except that doesn't make sense since the people they're being dismissive towards are same people who are saying they want to buy it. So no, they aren't right to be so dismissive. Not least of all because it displays a staggering amount of un-professionalism on their part regardless of how they feel on the matter.

weker

May 27, 2009
vrbtny said:
So Ubisoft are being douches to PC gamers?

New Gif I made. Had to use it.
Nice gif, I hijacked it XD but yer my thoughts are the same.
As a producer (planning on being one) you have to make these calls, and it's true PC gamers need to vote more with their wallet rather then illegal downloads.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Stubee said:
Ubisoft games always get pirated to shit or torn a new one by the pc community because of DRM. Dont blame them for giving the PC a big middle finger.
Every games gets pirated, they just decided to show the middle finger to legit customers with "maybe it will sometimes work" DRM, and the ports are mostly just piss, really isn't helping them out with sales.

If they don't want the money then Ubi just keep at it.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
Thousands of PC gamers steal every single game they own, whine about invasive DRM, and playing games that are blatantly designed for console players, then ***** if a company acknowledges that it's not worth the effort to try and please them? Is this really happening? Ubisoft makes console games for console gamers, then makes a PC port if they think it will make a reasonable amount of money. PC gamers need to get over it, just as I eventually had to get over the fact that Valve (my favourite developer, despite the fact that I'm more or less a console gamer) makes PC games for PC gamers, then occasionally makes a broken console port. This is just how things work.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
weker said:
vrbtny said:
So Ubisoft are being douches to PC gamers?

New Gif I made. Had to use it.
Nice gif, I hijacked it XD but yer my thoughts are the same.
Thank you, glad you like it.... how did you hijack it exactly?