I am so sick of entitlement

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Hydro14 said:
'Decimate'

Apologies to anyone who was trying to get in before this one cropped up. So often misused and it actually makes me flinch.
Oh! Oh! I know this one! I have read World War Z about three times now so I know what it means. Literally, it means "removal of tenth." So, like, if a military was stricken by mutinies, a "decimation" would mean that they would kill one-in-every-ten soldiers.

liljabba

Aug 5, 2009
"All of the sudden"

No. Nope. Noooooooo. That is wrong, just so wrong it causes my physical pain.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Business spiel like 'actionable', 'deliverables' 'actioning' and other poor, mutated words of that ilk. What does 'actionable' even mean? Can't you just say 'useful'?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"Epic."

Damn it internet, that word used to mean something.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
zelda2fanboy said:
Are you serious? Sick of that phrase.

HalfTangible said:
The phrase 'Just kidding'.

Mostly because somebody apparently decided that means 'I was wrong' or 'i made a mistake'.

Now i want to punch someone everytime i hear it. *twitch*
I'll gladly take "are you kidding me?" over "are you serious?" Most of the time people say are you serious when the situation is very clearly real and happening. There is no reason to call it into question.
You misunderstand. I'm talking about something like this:

"The sky is red."
"No, it's blue."
"Really."
"Yup. SUNSETS are red"
"Oh... Just kidding!"

Ya know, when somebody is wrong (even when it's much more minor than 'the sky is red') and instead of saying 'ok i was wrong', 'my mistake', or 'sorry' they say 'just kidding' which is supposed to be used when you say something like that on purpose.

Shifty Tortoise

Sep 10, 2008
On the Pronunciation side i'm going with how a lot Americans say Eye'raq and Eye'ran instead of how it should be said. Go take a look at Iraq on Wikipedia, listen to the pronunciation, listen to how Sayid says it in Lost, learn fuckers.

Now for the overused words i'll take Epic Fail like nearly everybody else. Or any word uttered by a Liverpudlian.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Keepin' it real, just doin' ma' own thang, and homeboy are three terms and phrases that I despise. I will also include the word strong. I mean when it is used to describe someone, but not physically. Like when someone has gone through a tragedy and someone can't really think of anything to say to them and so they just say, "You are so strong to be able to keep on living after what happened to you".

tikalal

Dec 17, 2009
Zoomy said:
People who express how little they care about something with "I could care less". No, you fools, it's couldn't.
I think they mean they care so little it's impossible to care any less. Seems fine to me.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
blaqknoise said:
'Homophobic'

I just don't like that word, it doesn't make sense to me.

A phobia is a fear, so "homophobic" would mean a fear of gays.
And it's funny cause Heterophobia isnt a word! Come on I've seen people down right terrified of straight people!

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
lacktheknack said:
"Strawman"
Oh God this!

Oh an ad hominem. Don't ever dare to actually address your opponent or they'll just debunk your entire argument with "nice ad hominem bro."

"Wow you're an idiot" - not ad hominem
"Your entire argument is wrong because you're an idiot" - ad hominem.

Edit: Oh, and 'Fursecution'. Look, I hate furries as much as any other sick fetish, even more so when they try to stick it down our throats as a 'lifestyle'. That isn't persecution, that's called disliking something, IT'S OK TO NOT LIKE THINGS. I wouldn't allow someone in a fursuit to enter my house/come to my D&D nights/near my young cousins/near any of my animals. That isn't persecution, I'd act the same way if you came to my house in a gimp suit with a ball in your mouth.

Edit2: 2 more. "I could care less", Oh, so you actually care then?
"'erbal tea", I accidentally a whole letter.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
blaqknoise said:
'Homophobic'

I just don't like that word, it doesn't make sense to me.

A phobia is a fear, so "homophobic" would mean a fear of gays.
Personally, I just hate the lack of a simple term meaning "Discrimination based upon sexual orientation". I mean, we have racism, but homosexuals aren't really a 'race', we have sexism, but it is a sexual orientation, not a sex, homoism would just be weird and homosexualism is just a large and clunky sounding word, and it would never catch on because everyone is already using homophobe.

I do like the word bigot, but it seems to broad.

OT: I hate it when people claim to be pure agnostic. It makes me frustrated. I'd find that rather appropriate xkcd but I have to leave soon.

Numjerlunker

Aug 15, 2011
'Lazer' really gets to me.
The word stands for 'Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation' so unless you're going to start using 'ztimulated', it's spelled laser.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
Hydro14 said:
'Decimate'

Apologies to anyone who was trying to get in before this one cropped up. So often misused and it actually makes me flinch.
Just curious, but in what contexts is that word misused?
I've pretty much always seen it used correctly.

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
Zantos said:
Aluminium. What is the problem with the five syllables? Honestly :(
That's because the United States have it spelled "Aluminum". We like to dumb down things.

Masticate-I like it when my friends think I said something else

Aidref

Dec 20, 2010
viranimus said:
Seriously, I am. If I never hear that word for the rest of my days on this planet it will be too soon. I dont know If I am aware of another word so highly overused and misused. Another one is Nuclear. Having heard its pronuciation butchered so often by so many people it grinds my teeth to hear it anymore.

Think we all have words that grate on our nerves like this, So the question is, what words are you tired of /hate hearing?
You should look up Louis CK's 'Hilarious' live show. He has a whole bit on people over using words until they lose their meaning now. Seems like you'd enjoy it if you haven't heard of it already