I don't trust Valve anymore.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Kollega said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Wait, so you don't like optional microtransactions, hats that actually do things and an optional trading system to get the stuff you've been missing for ages?
Yes, i don't like hats that actually do things, at least with current drop rates. And no, i do like the trading system - i just dislike the idea that some idiot can abuse the report button to take away my entire Steam account, possibly forever.

Of course there's going to be a few hiccups at first, give them time.
I hope so, but don't actually believe that it'll be changed for the better.
Well, to each their own. But Valve usually makes good on this sort of thing, here's hoping there isn't a shit storm.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If you don't trust Valve, fine, but don't base it on one guy getting investigated because some tool spammed the report abuse button.
I base it less on that one guy and more on the fact that you get punished more seriously for scamming someone out of their virtual hats than for using aimbot, but who am i to doubt our benefactors? No-one, that's who. TF2 as it currently is is absolutely perfect, and there is nothing we can do to make it even better.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
mjc0961 said:
And again... The guy changed the terms of his deal. If the other person then wanted out, he should have just given the hat back.
I believe you're missing the point; they are banning whole Steam accounts over user reported "scams" when items trading in TF2...

That's completely unacceptable...

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
FINALLY a valid reason to hate a developer. I'm so damn fed up with all the "Blizz banned peeps for cheating so I will hate them >:C"
the stupidity it mother***** hurts...

OT: This will be a downfall of revered and veteran players by the seems of it. If I ever get steam, I'll just stay the fuck away from Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress where the most obvious grievers will be. I can't afford to be consulted 10 days to clear out the bans of "HE FUCKING SHOT ME!!!12" reports each time it happens. Which it will. A lot. Because they're dumbasses, those grievers.

Thanks for the heads up. No, really... It's good to know when the GMs goes ape-shit for the stupidity of others.

just ban me

Sep 19, 2010
it really is nice to know that the product you bought can be taken back from you and you are just out the money, that is a horrible way to run a business.Thank Odin I play my PS3 and 360 instead of PC gaming

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I see an article of some guy talking about it but there's no proof behind it.

I've rarely seen things like this happen and when they DID ban a bunch of MW2 players who were wrongly banned Valve gave them all free copies of L4D2 and there were articles supporting this. This could just be a load of crap and I really don't believe it till I see something more official.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Unfortunately, I love Steam. I could just not play TF2, its not that great anyway.

Seems like Valve ovverreacted here.

Also, online boycotts/petitions never work.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Eh. People hate things for stupid reasons.

This doesn't really affect me, even though I am an avid steam user, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Kwil said:
And did you know if you walk outside there's a possibility you'll be arrested, wrongfully convicted of something, and even put to death? I mean.. holy hell.. when compared to what can happen if a game company screws up, you must be absolutely raging over what real life can do.
If you consider where i live and what the police is like around here, this joke suddenly becomes slightly less funny.

As for punishing people who are scamming harder than cheaters, first, I'll point out that scamming has a longer term effect than cheating. Cheating will effect whatever game you're in. Scamming affects the foundation that their microtransactions rely on -- people being able to trust each other.
And to think i am losing trust in them due to such extreme measures... that's ironic, don't you think?

I just don't like how hats are SERIOUS BUSINESS now. Before their addition, Valve's philosophy regarding TF2 was all about the game being fun for everyone involved. Now it's less about the game itself being fun and more about the fun inherent in showing off your headwear. Or at least it seems so.

Pirate Kitty said:
I see no proof in that link.
Snotnarok said:
I see an article of some guy talking about it but there's no proof behind it.
There are screenshots posted further down this thread.

Darth_Dude said:
Also, online boycotts/petitions never work.
It's not a boycott or a petition. It's a thread made to see how many people still trust Valve in the light of this. Maybe i am wrong here, who knows. I can get paranoid at times.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Kollega said:
It's not a boycott or a petition. It's a thread made to see how many people still trust Valve in the light of this. Maybe i am wrong here, who knows. I can get paranoid at times.
Then I suggest you take your meds and stop getting worked up.

blackbirdlore

Sep 28, 2010
You're all looking at this the wrong way. Number one, running an item scam on TF2 could very well mean someone is conning people out of money; a Ponzi scheme if you will. With that being possible, it makes sense for them to ban until the issue is sorted out. And as stated before, this is just one case. Not to mention a case where the user in question admitted to being a greedy jerk.

To those worried about abuse: Valve has never abused their powers, because if they ever did, it would be all over the net, and kill their profits quick.

To those worried about griefers: I've been playing TF2 since '07, and never had any such problems, even with the new trading system, nor have I heard of anyone else having these sorts of issues.

It's really silly to see how many people are getting riled up over one incident where the man who was banned admitted he was playing foul: did you guys even read the link?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The screenshot proves nothing, getting your account disabled isn't hard you just have to have your email linked to a scam with proof.

It's not enough, I'm open to it being possible but I'm not going to just boycott them because of something so stupidly minor. The raffle was a fine idea but asking for public donations is stupid, because things like this could happen.

This hardly seems like something to happen to the average TF2 player.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Snotnarok said:
I'm not going to just boycott them because of something so stupidly minor.
I'm not boycotting Valve per se, i will simply stop playing TF2 (see below) and will not spend any substantial sums of money on Steam (not that i ever truly did). Maybe i'll buy Portal 2, maybe not... we'll see.

This hardly seems like something to happen to the average TF2 player.
I hope so, i really do.

heavymedicombo said:
if you are that scared, just don't play.
Which is exactly what i'll be doing. I've kinda lost intrest in TF2 before the Mann-conomy update, and now this...

bpm195

May 21, 2008
They haven't done anything to make me trust them more or less, but I have to remain skeptical of their DRM and their power to terminate accounts. Unlike other games I own, the ones purchased through steam can be taken away from me with just was administrative error.

Though I still prefer their system to pretty much any other aside from the few developers that just don't seem to recognize piracy as an issue.