I don't understand griefing

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
They do it for the lols! But yeah if you don't understand it can't be explained to you then. But a friend of mine makes it his personal hobby to mess with people whenever he plays online. It's only entertaining if the person has a negative reaction. He was never really able to mess with me because I'm such a passive gamer I didn't care :p

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Because it is. Some people just have the need to annoy people. Why? Because they're not allowed to. That's the reason you stole cookies from the shelve as a kid, laughed at dirty words even though you didn't know what they meant. The need to disobey people, or generally annoy them. Irritating, sure. But YOU shouldn't react to them. The only thing these people are doing this for is to see someone mad. If you just ignore them, they'll keep griefing, but at least they will feel a bit more hollow inside.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I've griefed before and enjoyed it, but I've always tried to choose someone who deserves it. Such as a person who is being rude to everyone, or someone who is also a griefer and deserves a taste of their own medicine. I'd never grief someone because they're a 'kid' or a 'noob' or a 'fag', I'd grief them because I've seen them be total ass hats to me and other people so I'd like him to see how infuriating it is when you have to put up with someone like that.

Look at me, acting all self righteous. But seriously, I've never considered griefing someone without having to put up with them for a game or two. People who grief someone simply because they're younger are a prime example of someone who makes gaming communities that much harder to put up with.

Tinkotin

Feb 28, 2011
Try griefing somewhere somtimes, some of the reactions people do are so hilarious that you will laugh, It's for people like me who hate they're own exsistance and want to make other people do the same.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Redweaver said:
TehDomino said:
This is the thing that has amused me for years, people that get angry over video games but it happens for a reason.
If I get mad at someone for walking over and spitting in my lunch, am I angry at the food?
That has to be the best analogy I have ever seen about anything ever...

I care about the dipshit wasting my time. He thinks it's hilarious to pop in and ruin other peoples fun with the "Its Jest a Gamez guyz! CHILL! U MAD!!1 LOL!". Yes, it is just a game but you're gonna get yourself an ass kicking if you run onto a football field and grab the ball.

Basically, it's the cowards way of ruining other peoples fun.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You'r pretty much asking why people troll or prank people in real life.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Ever been to Club Caprice in Champions Online?

Well, let's just say some people deserve to be griefed.

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Redweaver said:
TehDomino said:
This is the thing that has amused me for years, people that get angry over video games but it happens for a reason.
If I get mad at someone for walking over and spitting in my lunch, am I angry at the food?
That has to be the best analogy I have ever seen about anything ever...

I care about the dipshit wasting my time. He thinks it's hilarious to pop in and ruin other peoples fun with the "Its Jest a Gamez guyz! CHILL! U MAD!!1 LOL!". Yes, it is just a game but you're gonna get yourself an ass kicking if you run onto a football field and grab the ball.

Basically, it's the cowards way of ruining other peoples fun.
IF you must know im a Troll i join games see whats going on then i make my move. DO you want to know why i wait its because i wait for the stupid people who only play games for kill when there is an objective then immeditly when they lose say "geez guys get on the point! gah noobs" If i troll you then you deserve it for acting like a moron. Also using the word "noob" will result in me picking on you i will go out of my way to make you Rage quit. Also i troll because im normally better that you an so i can.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Why is it fun? Well, just look at this:

Now do that yourself. Notice the intense amount of lulz it generates to crush a camper's skull with a helicopter. There's your answer.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Evil Smurf said:
could someone explain to my why it is fun to wreck peoples game times?
Some people are just idiots. The behavior is dumb, ergo they are dumb people. And there really isn't going to be an argument that counters this.
Isn't that nice and conceited?

People play games for different reasons. Some play because they like to socialize. Some play because they like winning. Some play because they like messing with people who take the game too seriously.

When somebody is taking a silly game more seriously than the death of their mother, it's fun to try to give them a reality check: It's a game. The person being trolled ends up getting so frustrated with the situation they say things like "I hope you die" or "I'm going to kill you" or anything equally uncalled-for. The absurdity of the situation calls for laughter, and laughter is addicting. The hilarity is at least doubled with the addition of voice chat.

Or maybe people who are entertained by means outside of monotony are just dumb. I wrote a whole paragraph, are you proud of me daddy? -__-

May 17, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
It's not about wrecking stuff, it's about a more "benign" expression of power. It's about being able to do something to someone that they can't stop. Basic urge and some people take it out on videogames. Still fucking annoying though

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Griefers and trolls are assholes. They are the equivalent of high-school bullies. You know the type. Idiots with pathetic lives and crappy homes who think the only way to make themselves feel better is to make everyone else miserable. Real bottom-feeding scum.

Oh, and I don't care what lame excuse they, or anyone so far in this thread, give. I don't care if you insist, "It's just a game bro! Chill.". It doesn't excuse your actions. You're being a dick. Not to mention a coward. If there were any chance your actions could have real-world consequences, I guarantee you'd be too afraid to grief anyone.

The only time, and I do mean the only time, I can excuse griefing is when it's someone getting back at someone else who's being a jerk in game. Essentially, giving someone who is ruining the game for others a taste of their own medicine.

The person doing the vengeful griefing is still being a ass, but at least it's towards someone else who's also being an ass.

Redweaver said:
TehDomino said:
They aren't getting angry over a video game, they're getting angry over an asshat.

Angry at a video game is throwing your controler when you can't make a jump or lose a boss fight over and over.

Exactly.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
...Gonna be honest. I have no idea what griefing is...so I don't really know why people do it.

I also don't know why people flarburdurgle or zoppitysnazzle.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Faladorian said:
FalloutJack said:
Evil Smurf said:
Some people are just idiots. The behavior is dumb, ergo they are dumb people. And there really isn't going to be an argument that counters this.
Isn't that nice and conceited?

People play games for different reasons. Some play because they like to socialize. Some play because they like winning. Some play because they like messing with people who take the game too seriously.

When somebody is taking a silly game more seriously than the death of their mother, it's fun to try to give them a reality check: It's a game. The person being trolled ends up getting so frustrated with the situation they say things like "I hope you die" or "I'm going to kill you" or anything equally uncalled-for. The absurdity of the situation calls for laughter, and laughter is addicting. The hilarity is at least doubled with the addition of voice chat.

Or maybe people who are entertained by means outside of monotony are just dumb. I wrote a whole paragraph, are you proud of me daddy? -__-
Clearly, you believe that being an ass online is a legitimate form of entertainment. Nice job proving my point. There is no reason for being a pain in the ass to others for pleasure that can be considered wise and thoughtful. You may now leave me be as there is nothing left to be said.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I play on a raid server on minecraft, people who log in to this server are able to join factions or create them, when they think their faction is strong enough they can attack other factions on this server griefing is allowed. However, when a faction claims land as theirs it cannot be griefed unless the members of the faction die multiple times from mobs or from enemy factions. When their power number goes negative (in a range of -10/10) a faction with more power (10/10) is able to claim their land and do whatever they please with it.

When my faction raids we loot and then pour lava on everything else (fire doesn't spread nor do explosives damage terrain). Yes they can have their land back, they're just gonna need some buckets :D.

ON TOPIC
I grief in the circumstances of the person was being as ass in the first place, I also do it because it's the funniest shit ever :D

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Some people believe their enjoyment of a game supersedes the enjoyment of everyone else, quite simply.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Sigma Van Lockheart said:
tippy2k2 said:
Redweaver said:
TehDomino said:
snip
snip
IF you must know im a Troll i join games see whats going on then i make my move. DO you want to know why i wait its because i wait for the stupid people who only play games for kill when there is an objective then immeditly when they lose say "geez guys get on the point! gah noobs" If i troll you then you deserve it for acting like a moron. Also using the word "noob" will result in me picking on you i will go out of my way to make you Rage quit. Also i troll because im normally better that you an so i can.
I am attempting to figure out what you wanted to say in that sentence...(read your post before throwing it up, there are typos and issues all over the place, especially that last sentence). Granted, your statement could also be an attempt at satire and I just don't realize it...

If I'm reading it correctly, you only troll people who you think take the game too seriously? So in order to get them to stop taking it seriously, you decide to ruin the experience for everyone (if it's a team game, you are ruining it for everyone. Your team is handicapped and the opponent gets a boring game since the other team is so fractured)?

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Because it's fun, and it often garners an entertaining reaction from players so insane and obsessed with their game that they pretty much deserve it. Let me give you a good example.

Some time early last year, a friend of mine was telling a bunch of us about how a guy we knew was a fussy, whiney "it's all mine and you can't play with any of it" player on a Minecraft server run by a friend of his (friend of the guy who told us, not of mr whiney-poo). Some examples of this guy playing in a way that was ruining the game on that server far more than griefing ever would included:

*Building a wooden wall around an enormous area and basically declaring that he was not to be bothered by such petty things as other players in a multiplayer game where sharing resources and living together is encouraged. If he was, you'd be chased out with a sword

*Basically having it so that anything he saw was immediately his possession (In a cave full of plentiful spiders, he killed one and my friend accidentally picked up the web. He wouldn't stop bitching at him to give it to him, when he could've easily just gotten some more)

*Having OCD about his house and possessions to the point where he tried to kill my friend for taking one torch from his house (admittedly my friend was just trying to provoke him after all the shit he'd already done, but it's one friggin' torch)

Upon hearing this, we immediately began planning "Operation: Troll the wranga" (hey, nothing against orange hair, but a silly operation designed to piss somebody with orange hair off needed such a name). We planned, in conjuction with the admin, to go into the game together at the same time dressed in a troll-face skin (what?) and, from admin powers, burn his precious little complex down with lava and TNT, then post pictures of the destruction to the guy's facebook. It was lulzy, and by Christ was he pissed.

But on the flip-side, when it's not used for any sort of just or justified reason it can be a bit annoying (but not to the point where I'd be so butt-hurt that I'd, say, start a thread lashing out at griefers, or do just that by thinly disguising it by saying that "I don't understand griefing"). After the operation we began playing Minecraft together alot more, always setting up servers and playing together when we had the time. On one of thee servers we lived peacefully together in a village in a house we'd built together, sharing resources and having a blast. At one point (and I think it was over a matter of some glass that was accidentally taken out of a furnace and used) one of my friends got really peeved, built a different house to sulk in, and then after a while of mutually shared jabs at each other about being a sulk and "stealing" glass this jaded friend went and burned the house down that we all shared. That was annoying because it was three hours of, dare-I-say, work and cooperation, all lost over such a silly matter.

In the end, after he realised what he'd done he ended up apologising profusely later over Facebook, and we forgave him. We played without a hitch onwards after that.