I feel sorry for American School Students

PneumaticSuicide

Apr 30, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
I'm willing to sacrifice the health of America's school children to spite Jamie Oliver. Thank god I was in 6th form when they removed the vending machines...

yep nothing like manifesting fat cunts just to spite one man who is trying to stop obesity, goddamn people and their concern for people they don't have to worry about but do just to keep them alive long enough to realise they have only one shot at life and not to waste is on cheeseburgers
http://www.wikihow.com/Have-a-Sense-of-Humor
It's the first thing google gave me, maybe you should take a look.

I completed comedy way before you got your first pube. Even as i sit in silence and ponder the very meaning of what its means to create complex brain destroying hilarity, my mighty minions of miniture madness defacate upon your most treasured items

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Something you have to understand about the American school system is that it's extremely decentralized. Each local district has a considerable degree of autonomy, and quality varies considerably from district to district. Furthermore, each individual state has a free hand in setting policies and procedures for the schools within its borders. Taken together, these make reform of the whole system a difficult and halting process. Though there are many high quality school districts, they seldom make the news. If there's a silver lining to this particular cloud it is that the superintendent is completely powerless outside of his district, leaving everyone else free to laugh at his silly mistakes until they're rectified.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
kiteboy said:
don't go to school in portsmouth do you? only my school was starting to do that when i left. seemed a very "production line" view on student welfare. but then, if you went to my old school then you'd know that was only the tip of the iceberg!
Nah, I go to a school in Uckfield.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
I'm willing to sacrifice the health of America's school children to spite Jamie Oliver. Thank god I was in 6th form when they removed the vending machines...

yep nothing like manifesting fat cunts just to spite one man who is trying to stop obesity, goddamn people and their concern for people they don't have to worry about but do just to keep them alive long enough to realise they have only one shot at life and not to waste is on cheeseburgers

I completed comedy way before you got your first pube. Even as i sit in silence and ponder the very meaning of what its means to create complex brain destroying hilarity, my mighty minions of miniture madness defacate upon your most treasured items
Funny that, because you sound about 12.

In any case, I am merely pointing out that many kids found it annoying that they were suddenly no longer allowed to buy a bottle of coke with their lunch, even though the actual food they served hadn't changed. The guy has a point, it's just been poorly implemented in the UK and probably would be in the US too.

PneumaticSuicide

Apr 30, 2011
Gindil said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
The reason why i bring this subject up is because i have recently been watching Jamie Oliver's food revolution. I was completely stunned by the reaction of the superintendent (i'm not really sure how important this position is) and how he is allowed to make a universal decision in regard to what children eat.

This just proves to me that the American education system fails at the most basic fundementals.

Please do NOT take this as an attack!!!
There's a lot of problems with our school system:

Inept or outdated teaching methods
Politicizing of teacher's effectiveness
Overcrowding of public school systems
Nutrition

There's so much that could be changed, but no one wants to because it takes so much effort.

The final statement says so much, i'm not even American or a Teacher!!!!11 However i'd be willing to invest my time for next to nothing put in the effort that people complain about. Rome wasn't built in a day (cliche i know) but it is an appropriate analogy. All it would take is a committed effort with the enthusiasm i know Americans have and you have such a proud history and it would be a shame to see that lost.

Blitzkreg

Nov 5, 2009
I go to a private high school in America, so the public school system doesn't apply to me.
I would like to pose a counter question, as I'm sensing strongly anti-American sentiments.

If the American public school system is broken/inferior/failing, then how could the country as a whole still be the most powerful, wealthiest, and technologically advanced (as far as the government goes) in the world?

School systems educate children who grow up to become members of the workforce. It seems a logical step to me to say that the better educated the children, the more effective their workforce will become. If the US has the most powerful workforce, then it's educational system must also be similarly powerful.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me the driving mentality of this thread is incorrectly anti-American.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
PneumaticSuicide said:
The reason why i bring this subject up is because i have recently been watching Jamie Oliver's food revolution. I was completely stunned by the reaction of the superintendent (i'm not really sure how important this position is) and how he is allowed to make a universal decision in regard to what children eat.

This just proves to me that the American education system fails at the most basic fundementals.

If you think that's bad, look up the film "Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat."

That just confirms my theory that it was the parents that needed to go back to high school.

Yeah, our school systems are quite screwed at the moment.

PneumaticSuicide

Apr 30, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

In any case, I am merely pointing out that many kids found it annoying that they were suddenly no longer allowed to buy a bottle of coke with their lunch, even though the actual food they served hadn't changed. The guy has a point, it's just been poorly implemented in the UK and probably would be in the US too.

GOOD!! They shouldn't be allowed to buy coke with their lunch, or any soft drink/soda for that matter. Water should be all that is available

philzibit

May 25, 2009
New Football field? Fuck Yeah!

Lower school lunches? No! We have to pay for the football field!

Get new text books so the students aren't using old, worn down ones? FOOTBALL FIELD!

How about more parking spots so the students don't have to park 3 blocks away when it's 12 degrees in the winter and 94 degrees in May? FOOTBALL!

Put RANDOM FUCKING 32 INCH, HD TV's IN THE FUCKING HALLWAYS TO DISPLAY WHEN FOOTBALL GAMES ARE!?...ok.

Thus was the case at my old high school. I'm glad I graduated 2 years ago, because the stupid tax payer spending has only got worse.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
PneumaticSuicide said:
The fundamental notion of the American school system, beneath everything else, is the notion of local autonomy.

As a community you are free to determine what is most appropriate for your unique situation and use that to chart your own course to success. the flip side of that coin is that the state government will be slow and ineffective at rescuing you if you decide to sail your proverbial boat into the nearest cliff. There are many successful school districts (I went to one), but they seldom recieve much media time because they don't have many scandals that can be made into political hay.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

GOOD!! They shouldn't be allowed to buy coke with their lunch, or any soft drink/soda for that matter. Water should be all that is available
Oh hey there food police. It's nice you think that you should enforce your opinions so strongly upon everyone else. Clearly, people shouldn't be allowed to make decisions, and we should do as you say.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
nickd007 said:
I'm not familiar with the show. Could you describe the decision he made?
I feel sorry for us, too, actually. Just the other day, I was at my high school graduation, and they were giving out several $200 prizes for perfect attendance. It was unsettling to me that the administration was essentially paying kids to show up to school. It seems to enforce the wrong reasons to go to school. It just...bothered me. You know?
We did have that in England as well (the Tories are scapping it) but thats just for sixth form colleges (years 16-18) where its not compulsory to be in since all education after the age of 16 is optional (again however thats gonna change from what i hear where its either you go into further education or a form of training such as plumbing).

It was called EMA (educational maintanence allowance) however it was like £30 a week and so most of it was used on transport.

PneumaticSuicide

Apr 30, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
PneumaticSuicide said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

Oh hey there food police. It's nice you think that you should enforce your opinions so strongly upon everyone else. Clearly, people shouldn't be allowed to make decisions, and we should do as you say.

NO i'm not in anyway trying to dictate peoples lives and just think schools should take more responsibility in teaching their students about being healthy. A 600ml coke bottle contains 65g of sugar which quickly becomes fat when you sit down all day at school. Now you might enjoy not being able to see your feet but its such an easy problem to fix but due to an immense amount of ignorant people its becoming more unlikely by the minute

DJROC

Dec 15, 2010
Blitzkreg said:
If the American public school system is broken/inferior/failing, then how could the country as a whole still be the most powerful, wealthiest, and technologically advanced (as far as the government goes) in the world?
Because we carry heavy, heavy debt.

It's not anti-American to say that our public school system is awful. It's objective assessment. If you think otherwise, that's probably more evidence of our poor system trying to convince our students that we're still this diamond of the modern world that everyone aspires to be.

We've got big problems with our healthcare, our schools, our unemployment rates, and our deficit spending.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Democracy, dear Watson. There's a reason why you can take your own food too, if you're like that.

PneumaticSuicide said:

How the fuck should I not feel that was an attack?

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
Vykrel said:
SoopaSte123 said:
There are so many problems in our schools that aren't getting fixed, and they're all usually the result of too much politics. The lunches are just the tip of the iceberg. For example, now in Pennsylvania (where I live), school budgets are being cut, leading to awesome newer teachers being let go while old lazy ones stay. It frustrates me sometimes.
same things happening here in Florida :/ theyre laying off my last english 4 teacher after her first and only year. there are only 4 english 4 teachers in total, probably 3 or 2 next year... but they arent laying off any of the like 10 math teachers.

i dunno about you, but i consider english to be quite a bit more important than fuckin calculus and trigonomics
You could have fooled me based on the spelling and grammar in your post :)

Also Calc and Trig are *very* important to the engineering professions, which is one of the few high-paying careers available to anyone who applies themselves.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
You think that's bad?

Go to the international English schools in Germany. If a teacher has been there for a certain amount of time, they have almost complete immunity from the school board. They can not get fired by the school. It has to be instigated by an outside source such as a parent.

A woman came into my Uncle's class while he was teaching and tore the room apart looking for a book (She had made my Uncle keep all the old useless books in his room), right during the middle of his class, and when he asked if he could help her she flipped out on him and started screaming.

The principal had absolutely no control over her.

Resonantscythe

Jul 28, 2009
PneumaticSuicide said:

The funny thing about you saying it's not an attack is the fact that most of us attack our own school system for being really shitty. It's actually constantly in the papers and some magazines how much our schools are garbage and way behind the rest of the modern world. The food is only one of many problems our school system has.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
PneumaticSuicide said:
Le snip.

NO i'm not in anyway trying to dictate peoples lives and just think schools should take more responsibility in teaching their students about being healthy. A 600ml coke bottle contains 65g of sugar which quickly becomes fat when you sit down all day at school. Now you might enjoy not being able to see your feet but its such an easy problem to fix but due to an immense amount of ignorant people its becoming more unlikely by the minute
It's not the schools responsibility, it's the responsibility of the individual. In lower age groups, it's different, but in teens people are responsible for their own diet. If people are too stupid to look after their bodies, that's their own issue, but it shouldn't be handled with such sweeping actions that affect perfectly sensible healthy people.

To the bolded part, yes, yes you are.