I hate Ocarina of Time 3D

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I think many other people would agree with you on OoT not being the best game ever, because as I say in every thread about OoT, it was a pretty good game (IMO), but every Zelda since has improved on it in every way. I wouldn't say it's the worst game I've played though, I think you must hold every other game you play in very high accord if you think OoT is the worst though.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
Mad World said:
People are allowed to have their own opinions. And there's nothing wrong with liking Super Smash Bros.
Well I am of the opinion that Super Smash brothers is a casual friendly party fighter that somehow manages to have one of the worst tournament scenes and fanbases around. I'll admit I enjoy the game occasionally with my friends who aren't gamers, buts that only because it's a game that everyone has an equal chance at.

In my opinion, anybody whose favorite game is super smash brothers who trashes much better games because of their difficulty is an idiot.

People are allowed to have their own opinions. And there's nothing wrong with not liking super smash bros and the people who play it seriously.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Xzi said:
Jailbird408 said:
Go ahead. Flame me.
I will, actually. I beat this game at ten years old with the only slight hiccup being the Water Temple. And they've even redesigned parts of that temple in OoT 3D to be easier.

Just goes to show you that all modern games are spoiling new players with "normal" difficulties being the cakewalk that very easy difficulty used to be in older games. God forbid somebody sticks one of you scrubs in front of a game like Battletoads. You'd have an aneurism and drop dead from frustration on level 1.

This does not mean the game is bad. It means you are bad.

I don't think the game is difficult but it just it's just not very coherent. I beat the Forest Temple and then nothing... it doesn't give you any indication of where to go which doesn't really drive the plot, all you can do is re-check every area in the game until you find what has changed which isn't very fun.

That being said I do enjoy OoT but I don't think it deserves it's "best game ever" tag by some.
EDIT:
Matthew94 said:
I don't think the game is difficult but it just it's just not very coherent. I beat the Forest Temple and then nothing... it doesn't give you any indication of where to go which doesn't really drive the plot, all you can do is re-check every area in the game until you find what has changed which isn't very fun.
I think you may be the only person in the history of gaming to effectively ignore navi.

Congratulations.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
AverageJoe said:
I'm not looking down on anyone, I'm aware there are great classic games, and like I said, I don't have much opinion on Ocarina of Time in particular.

What pisses me off, are when people hail some games as the best thing since sliced bread even though literally every single aspect of their gameplay, design, production values, and everything else, are achaic and have been improved upon in every conceivable way since the game was released. It's one thing to appreciate what a game has done for the industry in the past and give it the reward its due for helping further our medium, its another thing entirely to still hold that game up as "the best game evar" even if its entirely dated and worthless as a game by itself in the current state of the market.

Again, im not talking about Zelda here, but I was saying to the OP that its good to challenge older games that are held in high regard if we dont believe they should be, regardless of how much flak we get from "hardcore gamers" for doing it. Take a game like Deus Ex for example, the game has absolutely no worth today if you forget what it did in the past; its just a big clunky mess with zero production values. It gives you a lot of options, none of which are at all polished or refined. Its painful to play. Yet hipster gamers regard it as of one of the best first person games ever of which nothing has ever come close to surpassing. Bullshit, everything it has done has been done 10 times better; and if Deus Ex was released today it would be entirely disregarded with 4.0 review scores and wouldn't even gain even a fraction of the fanbase it has today.
When I refer to Ocarina of Time as the greatest game ever made, I mean it the same way a movie enthusiast might say Citizen Kane is the greatest film. Sure, their groundwork has been improved on, but it's still their groundwork. Ocarina isn't my favorite, but unless something even more revolutionary comes around, I will continue to consider it the best. If you don't like it, that's fine. However, calling it terrible isn't "challenging" it...it's just trying to get attention by bashing something many gamers love and most at least respect.

The OP isn't getting flak because he didn't like Ocarina of Time. He's getting it because he rage quit during a relatively easy part, declared it the worst thing ever, and claimed we only liked due to nostalgia. The flak was well deserved. While some classics have their flaws (Mario 64's camera, Deus Ex's user-unfriendlyness), that doesn't counteract any good it did for the industry.

Yeah, calling people hipsters 'cause they still love an older game...when I told you to stop looking down on people for their gaming preference, this is what I was talking about. Also, "retro gamer" would have been a better label. As for Deus Ex...I'm having a hard time with it, but I wouldn't claim its fans only like it due to nostalgia or call them hipsters. Most likely, they just remember their old strategies, just like I do with my favorite user-unfriendly game...Morrowind.

Anyway, like I said, when you play a classic, you must accept its flaws. Deus Ex isn't the most user-friendly game I've ever played, but I'm not giving up on the first mission 'cause I died quickly. Even if I can never get into it, I'm not gonna "call out" the fans each time I see someone praising it. That'd just be stupid.

If you don't like most older games, that's fine. Not everyone can get pass some minor flaws in order to get a better understanding of gaming's history. I completely disagree with you original point...games do not inherently age worse than other mediums' classics. While classic Lit has an amazing command of words, I'm use to books being more concise. Both styles have their advantages, but I'm just not used to really wordy books. Does that mean the Lord of the Rings books are bad and that its fans are just nostalgic. Of course not.

PekoponTAS

Mar 7, 2009
starwarsgeek said:
PekoponTAS said:
Ocarina of Time, regardless of its actual quality, is just one of those games you don't bad mouth on the internet unless you want to get verbally abused. (See Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 7)
Hmm...implied dislike of Chrono Trigger. Is that enough for verbal abuse?

Nah. ;)

PekoponTAS said:
is just one of those games you don't bad mouth on the internet unless you want to get verbally abused. (See Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 7)
also not trying to start a fight and its been about 3-4 years since i last played it, but how in world does anyone bad mouth chrono trigger, FF7 i can kinda understand cuz it gets over hyped and what not, but chrono trigger is right next to ff6 for best 16bit RPG, and a near perfect classic
I don't dislike Chrono Trigger, nor am I badmouthing it since I've never played it. I'm just tired of people nagging me to play it to the point where any desire I might have had to try it out has completely vanished. The more people bug me to do something, the less I feel like doing it. :/

And thank you for not flaming me. XD

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
TheJesus89 said:
In my opinion, anybody whose favorite game is super smash brothers who trashes much better games because of their difficulty is an idiot.
Who gets to decide what games are objectively better than Super Smash Bros.? Maybe the idiotic thing to do is only considering your own personal tastes to be valid.

Food for thought.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Can I just comment here?

I have have never played OoT before and am still enjoying it.
Not a God-send but still enjoyable.

Also, you really suck at this game. No offence.

Rock Beefchest

Dec 20, 2008
Jailbird408 said:
natster43 said:
It definitely is not the best Legend of Zelda. It is just the game that set the ground work for the 3D series, Wind Waker is so much better. Also what is LOS: TEN?
If you've red any of my previous posts you'd know, but LOS:TEN is Legend of Spyro The Eternal Night. Fuck Dragon time.
Why would we have known that was what that was an abbreviation for.

OT: I think that Ocarina of Time was wonderful for its time, but I don't really understand why it needed to be remade. Except for the blatant cash grab. I would be much more inclined to buy into the 3ds if they made big name titles with fresh stories and design. I don't even want originality just a new game.

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
StonedMonkey said:
scorptatious said:
captaincabbage said:
neonsword13-ops said:
We at the escapist know Ocarina of Time isn't a god send.

That title belongs to Wind Waker or Majora's Mask.
Dear lord why didn't they just remake Majora's Mask? The whole mask mechanic in it was so much more interesting than the time mechanic in OoT. Not that is was a bad mechanic. It was so good infact that they slapped it into MM as well.

Plus, being a Goron rocks tits.
A Goron? Please. Everyone knows being a Deku Scrub is where it's at.

You mean being a zora is the tits.
Damn straight! You get a guitar and awesome swimming skills! :D

JacenElectronica

May 30, 2010
or maybe, you just suck at it.
i remember been 8 and playin trough this all alone, took me a long time, but it was (and still is) awesome, my little brother is playing trought OoT 3D at the time and he seems to love it too.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Matthew94 said:
TheJesus89 said:
Matthew94 said:
I think you may be the only person in the history of gaming to effectively ignore navi.

Congratulations.
For the past 5 hours Navi has been telling me to go to death mountain which is not the correct way to go, I was told to go to death mountain before the forest temple, during the forest temple and after the forest temple. Nice job trying to be smart and ignore my post.
You know that's pretty hilarious, since that's where you had to go...

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
Zelda games are aimed at a younger audience, I still love them but they have never required much skill to complete. I have not once been stuck in a Zelda game and I don't know anyone else who has been, especially with combat. The worst it gets is maybe 15 minutes of playing around with a puzzle, the game isn't bad because you don't have enough skill to complete it if everyone else did it when they were 10.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Matthew94 said:
SammiYin said:
Matthew94 said:
TheJesus89 said:
Matthew94 said:

Congratulations.
For the past 5 hours Navi has been telling me to go to death mountain which is not the correct way to go, I was told to go to death mountain before the forest temple, during the forest temple and after the forest temple. Nice job trying to be smart and ignore my post.
You know that's pretty hilarious, since that's where you had to go...
You know that's pretty hilarious because you can't even read.

Why would Navi send me to Death Mountain when I had to do the freaking forest temple???
Ok don't cry, I was referring to the 'after the forest temple' part, since a child could see you had to go to the forest first.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Jailbird408 said:
Fine. I give up. You all win. I'm going to betray my opinion and call the game that ticked me off more than anything else in the world the greatest thing ever. THE HYPOCRISY IS DELICIOUS.

Or perhaps you're legitimately thinking that I liked the game, but just decided to claim to hate it so I could be a troll. No. I'M NOT TROLLING. Trolling is claiming to hate something good because it will be hilarious to watch people call you an idiot.

Maybe you'd like it if I just cancelled my Escapist account. Would you like that? I'm trying to get it in your heads that the only reason this game is so good for you is because you played it at an age where you'd enjoy Captain N.

Come on moderators, ban me already. I welcome it with open arms.
Holy shit, you're a bitter person.

We aren't saying you're wrong in not liking the game.

We're saying you suck at it. Hard. And we're also saying that you're telling people not to buy a game that the majority of gamers love. That's just... ignorant, really. And I hate using that word. It always sounds so bullshit-defensive, but it's true.

You are damn well entitled to your opinion, and anyone on here that tells you that your opinion about not liking the game can suck it, but you're more than just saying you don't like it. You're saying things that are just downright untrue. It's a well designed game. You just don't like the challenge that it gives.

So learn to chill. Ignore the people telling you your opinions are wrong. But be a bit more sympathetic to those that love the game and don't go around screaming "don't buy this incredibly popular game that I don't like/am not good at." That's the only reason people are getting pissed.

Ratlover

Jul 17, 2011
I love nerd rage. I swear nerds are the best people to troll, just tell them something that they really like sucks and stand back and watch the nerd have a panic attack.

macacos2

Apr 2, 2010
Jailbird408 said:
I get into the game, I start having fun, and then the difficulty spikes so hard it comes back around and rapes you.
Did you really just said that the game is terrible because it's actually challenging?

Are you mental?