I HATE rich people...

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I run a maintenance crew for a pool company. Some of the houses we service are just fucking ridiculously huge. The pools are basically the size of my house. And they're some of the nicest people I've ever met. Then there's other middle class people who are total fucking assholes.

Years ago I volunteered at a soup kitchen and helped feed people who couldn't afford to eat. Some were total jerks and others were in tears because of how nice we were.

Some rich people are nice and try to help, others are asshats. Don't equate money with behavior is the end of it.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I find certain rich people are lacking in empathy in a way poorer people generally aren't.
But, really, you'd have to define 'rich'. To me someone is rich if they can afford two cars. When I was growing up I thought someone was rich if they could afford to always have food and power at their house. It's all a matter of perspective.

I guess I have a certain amount of dislike towards rich people, but mostly because I want them to give me all their money. :)

EDIT: Also, if you know a rich person and don't like them, an unfailing way I have found to piss them off is to get really excited about some midrange, average thing and keep calling it 'fancy'. They will lose their fucking minds. Hahahaha. (I discovered this by accident, because I think everything is fancy).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't begrudge people for being rich or poor. However, it's hard to hear rich people talk about how the poor are lazy or just "don't want it enough", or that the rich pay too much in taxes, or that the rich don't have enough say in how the country is run, or that the rich are somehow getting a shitty deal in general without wanting to smack said person across the face.

Hearing Donald Trump go on and on about how he's not "part of the establishment" would be laughable if so many people didn't sincerely believe it. And then there's people who run large Corporations and makes plenty of profit, who talk about how they can't afford to provide health insurance or raise the minimum wage for their employees.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
inu-kun said:
mduncan50 said:
inu-kun said:
If a poor person is reckless with their money they mostly harm themselves. If a rich person is reckless with their money it harms those around them
I don't really understood it, how can rich people harm others then them more then poor people, do poor people not have access to guns, narcotics or just shitty people in general? The only way it makes sense if you have a "captain planet villain" rich guy, who also owns his own company which doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, and even then you can be sure the terrible decisions they did were backed by mid-payed pencil pushers who's just as in fault for ignoring the actions for profit.
I don't think it was meant less in terms of actual physical harm. I think if you look at this past recession where shady business dealings and investments of the rich ended up costing the lower class their homes, cars, and jobs, while the rich people in charge were still receiving millions in performance bonuses or buyout options.
If we talk about the recession it always grind my gears that people white washed themselves of it, one of the prime reasons for it was a huge amount of people who took loans they could not afford in any way, yeah invididually they didn't do much but collectively they are just as in fault.
Absolutely that was one contribution factor to the housing part of that breakdown, however you also need to understand that they were made to believe they could afford it by wealthy people who were playing speculatory games with people's mortgages.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
While my life is comfortable and I am happy over all, I would gladly have less if it meant that everyone could have more and be happier over all. That being said, it really isn't an individuals fault if they are successful and have alot of money. It's one thing if someone just inherits all their money, but if they worked for it (and not in a despicable way that hurt others), then they deserve the money they made.

Still someone who works hard in any capacity should have the ability to have at least a secure life with some luxuries and the eventual ability to retire comfortably. I don't hate rich people individually, but the concept that many waste tons of resources (and money) a year, on nothing, when others are struggling to get by (and working hard to do so), seems unfair to me.

I think a larger tax on earning over a certain amount, and a lower tax (or larger deduction) on the first 20k a person makes a year would make sense. It's not an optimal solution, but it at least evens the playing field a bit more, allowing people to get by easier when they can only get jobs that will give them 30 hours or less a week (so they don't have to give benefits etc), and often not even fixed hours (Safeway at least for a long time was like that for instance).

I shop at safeway and have my whole life, and those tellers.....some of which I have seen for decades, get paid almost nothing. It's insane that anyone would work at that job at all, let alone for decades, but the jobs are obviously always filled. How does anyone survive on such a small salary?

So no, I don't blame the rich, but there is a huge disparity between the wealthy and the poor and middle class, and it's almost insane. A very small percentage of people in the world (let alone in the US) have a huge percentage of the wealth....you would imagine that eventually the poor would get fed up with that. Heck, a larger percentage of Americans are in jail/prison, than have are worth over 1 million (including the value of their home). While that number is getting closer (think it's 7-8% of american's are worth over 1mill now), having a net worth of 1 million means far less now then it did (especially if most of that value is in your home!!).

So many ways we could fix things, or make them better, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. Our prison/legal system is broken, our education system is broken, our tax system is very broken and most importantly our political system is broken (which prevents many of the other problems from being fixed). Revolution, which the original founders of our country advocated, is not really a viable option anymore, as it would be too chaotic and dangerous. I do not see an easy solution in the future to be honest, so we might as well just make the best of the system we have.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
inu-kun said:
Not everyone who works hard gets payed for that, but going to the conclusion that the opposite, that people who get payed well do not work hard, is just (if not more) false. At best you can say that rich people have a better headstart but that's because they can afford better education and learn how to manage their money better, not because they have an endless pot of gold in the house.

The Trump example is also bad, Trump is a good businessman, heck, he managed to become a prime candidate for presidency despite overwhelming negative media portrayal, the money he has is deserved, even if you personnaly don't like the man.

Only if you own the company.
...Hang on, I'm sorry, I just can't let this slide. Trump, a good businessman? You're fucking with me, right? He's failed at numerous business ventures throughout the years and damn near brought his own company to the brink of ruin. The most valuable thing about him is his name(Forbes puts it at 125mil), and even then it's not worth much compared to the colossal debt he's been in. He's as good a businessman as I am a small, purple ferret.

Besides, he's had an overwhelmingly positive media portrayal outside social media and left news feeds. God damn. He's really a fantastic example for shitty rich people, since he's both a piece of shit as a human being and a terrible businessman, yet doesn't cop shit for it since he's got money (somehow. How the fuck does a man who gets that bankrupt still have shit to spend???).

Sorry, not a derail here, it's just... 'Trump' and 'Good businessman' are not words you put together in a sentence. Fuck, his foray into politics has cost him numerous business deals because of all the dumb shit he keeps spewing out of his mouth.

Also 'Rich people have a head start because they can afford better education and learn how manage their money better', yeah right. Rich people have a head start because they have greater amounts of disposable income and can save money easier, not because they're somehow gifted with the ability to manage money better. Poor people aren't poor because they're filthy and uneducated, poor people are poor because they have 15 dollars a month they can put away for savings and can't easily recover from disasters or sudden expenses.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
I don't care much about rich people. Of course I would love to be rich, as others have already stated, money doesn't make you happy, but it covers the basic essentials that you need to live and if you have enough you can take your time to pursue things that make you happy.
I don't care if rich people waste their money, many earned what they have and have earned the right to waste it, if they want to. If I had the money I would waste quite a bit on some luxuries.

What I hate are rich people that don't really know how much worth their money is, who openly complain that the money they earn barely covers what the need, despite earning more per month than others in an entire year. I hate it if rich prominent people get special treatment for crimes they committed, where others would get worse punishments.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
inu-kun said:
I'm pretty sure that even one gun is too many guns, not to mention do guns in the USA cost so much only rich people can afford them, did the Sandy Hook massacre was made by a millioner?
Well of course, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you can afford more guns you can acquire more guns. Same with drugs.

Not everyone who works hard gets payed for that, but going to the conclusion that the opposite, that people who get payed well do not work hard, is just (if not more) false. At best you can say that rich people have a better headstart but that's because they can afford better education and learn how to manage their money better, not because they have an endless pot of gold in the house.
Well, it's a good thing that I didn't say that rich people "don't work hard". What I was said was that hard work does not guarantee wealth, and wealth doesn't necessarily come from working hard. Being born in the right family, being in the right place at the right time, growing up in the right area... without those things hard work does not guarantee success.

Also "manage their money better". Because $8 billion of debt is "managing their money better", give me a break. It's pure recklessness that poor people can't afford to do. Notch is a billionaire known for being absolutely awful with his money, he's still a billionaire though.

By the way, one could easily say that poor people "manage their money better" than rich people purely out of necessity. Because they don't have as much money to waste.

The Trump example is also bad, Trump is a good businessman, heck, he managed to become a prime candidate for presidency despite overwhelming negative media portrayal, the money he has is deserved, even if you personnaly don't like the man.
"Trump is a good businessman" is extremely debatable, because the way I see it he is a reckless businessman who's experienced a bunch of financial disasters.

Only if you own the company.
Sure, I was only talking about CEO-level people. But the logic can be extended.

Let's talk about the middle-class. Who prepares their food? Who works at the till in the shops they buy from? Who assembles the products they buy? The working class. Now a common counter-argument is "well, the wealthy people who own the businesses provide jobs and products for the working class! Surely the working class should be grateful!" Well, the difference is that the working class don't have the luxury of being able to hoard billions of dollars.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
inu-kun said:
I don't really follow that logic, unless the person is starting a militia or a drug empire which are illegal by themselves how can they cause more damage? Were there millioners who created those kinds of things?
Are you saying that militias and drug empires don't exist?

"I don't hate the rich, but their fortune is just that. A series of fortunate events that have resulted in them coming out on top. " that definitely sounds like you said "that rich people "don't work hard"".
Does it? "Definitely"? Sounds to me like I merely said that the path to wealth requires a series of fortunate events, which it does. For every hard-working individual that's managed to achieve huge success there's countless more people who have worked just as hard or even harder that don't make it. When rich people acknowledge this it's great, but when they interpret it as superiority then that really grinds my gears, especially when they just so happen to have wealthy parents.

More talking Middle-upper class and above, the problem mainly stems from the USA having shitty worker organizations in the end it's the workers responsibility to unite and claim better wages, not be dependant of the kindness of heart of the CEO's on top who most likely aren't even aware of their wages.
Because things like Occupy Wall Street were such a HUGE success.

inu-kun said:
Life is a race, you can do everything you can and still fail, but don't automatically blame the winner of cheating because it seems unfair.
Interesting analogy. If you had to start 200m from the finish line and someone else got to start 5m from the finish line and they end up beating you, wouldn't you consider that unfair?

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Hey, I had a cool rich friend when I was young. Well, I wouldn't call him millionaire rich, but he had a ton of money because his family was part of some shady stuff. At least, that is what all the kids thought in the neighborhood. He's Italian and his family owns a flower business. They own a flower business with a big house and all the money he tosses around!? Yeah, he had to be part of the mafia!

Anyways, the kid bought us everything. Of course, when you're young, all we wanted to buy was candy, baseball cards and video games.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I don't hate rich people, they're just people.

I don't like objectivists though, and a substantial portion of those are rich people justifying acting like a dbag.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
As others have said, it's person to person. I don't generally make blanket statements about a group of people. I sort of feel this is like saying you hate black people. I suppose some would argue it's "punching up" so it's okay, but I think that is a terrible argument.

Anyway, most rich people in America are first generation, meaning they did not inherit their money, but earned it. A lot of rich people in America are also second or third generation immigrants. This is also why wealthy people tend to be older. I would say this is likely the explanation for the perception of arrogance. "I earned my money through hard work, you can do the same."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
They're stupid, selfish, short-sighted, arrogant, have over-inflated egos and care little for the misery they sow around them.

Par for the course with the human race really. Except they make a much larger and more noticeable impact. And yet for some reason there's always a subset of people who get offended when you insult the rich while millions of Americans are below the poverty line. I guess they're the people who still buy the delusion that anyone can become a millionaire in this country. Well it's just that. A dream. Besides, the rich don't need the masses defending them, half of them don't give a shit what we have to say to them. No one needs to jump to their defense.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Queen Michael said:
I like rich people. We're great. There are no words for how awesome we are.

Seriously though, people complain that rich people don't give their money to those who really need it, but that's true about anybody who ever bought a McDonald's meal instead of eating leftovers and donating the price of a Big Mac to charity. That money could have saved somebody's life, but no, you wanted that Big Mac.
I donated a few bucks to a charity to help the homeless the other day. And I'm 20,000 dollars in college debt.

I did my part. Let Richy Rich step up now.

Sep 14, 2009
Dalisclock said:
I don't begrudge people for being rich or poor. However, it's hard to hear rich people talk about how the poor are lazy or just "don't want it enough", or that the rich pay too much in taxes, or that the rich don't have enough say in how the country is run, or that the rich are somehow getting a shitty deal in general without wanting to smack said person across the face.

Hearing Donald Trump go on and on about how he's not "part of the establishment" would be laughable if so many people didn't sincerely believe it. And then there's people who run large Corporations and makes plenty of profit, who talk about how they can't afford to provide health insurance or raise the minimum wage for their employees.
this.

I know some "well off" (not rich, but well off) people who are extremely nice and give away to charities a bunch and are great people to work for, while I know some "rich" (as in they wipe their shit up with 100 dollar bills like it's no big deal) people who haven't worked a hard day in their life but are the greediest and worst people to work for who get pissed at you for not being able to put in more than 75 hours a week because you have other shit to do in your life, and if the cost of entry for certain ventures wasn't so high, they wouldn't have a single person working for them...it's pure luck that they inherited a fuck ton of money and keep that wheel turning so they don't have to do shit while blaming poor people, it sickens me.

capitalism works great when people aren't assholes, but with the huge rise in corporations having real political power and being able to throw their weight around to bully people and industries, I can't stand it right now.

back on topic, I judge people separately with how they present themselves, however most "rich" people I know are scumbags and haven't earned nor deserve a penny to their name, and vise versa for poor people.