I HAVE BECOME MY FATHER!!!

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Well not really, but you know that moment when you realise your growing up and self-conscious awareness sits rather uncomfortably apon you. Yes its that moment when it would be rather fitting if we had a walking stick in our hand, shaking it furiously at the bloody boy racer who repeatedly drove up and down the street for no reason. Yes its that thread again... or wait, huh then why you don't you recommend me an anime and speculate on EA being complete tossers, cause there isn't enough of those threads. See I can act my age too!
Anyway whats your moment, when you realise your growing up too fast or something along those lines, maybe what you had for breakfast, or how well you can procrastinate with your papers and such.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well i wouldnt say im growing up too fast or anything, but ive definately developed same qualities as my father in some aspects, which is not a bad thing i have to say. I also had my moments of "grumpy old man" stereotype, but that always exists with generation gap.
also EA are tossers. But Capcom are bigger tossers. you silly teenagers dont even know which company to hate.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'll never become like my father. Not without ten or twelve hammer-blows to the face. The man is one big wall of DURRRRR... All the parts operate and the machinery is well-maintained, but...

No no... I take great solace in knowing that I am a few notches cleverer, certainly funnier, and on the whole better company with people at large.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
No, I am your father.

On the contrary, while the cynicism is often strong with me I too often feel like I'm not growing up fast enough. Yet to bother me enough to do something about it though. When I do feel appropriately growed-up, it's fine. Most recent thing has been the purchasing of a house and the accompanying insurance/mortgage applications. Pretty big step for my lady and I.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Do you keep a particular stick or piece of woof around to stir tins of paint? Cause people say that's when it makes you your father.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Okay I don't know what this says about me that when I read this title the first thought that popped into my head was time travel and incest.

[sub]I'll just hang out in the 'shame' corner for a few minutes'[/sub]

Anyway I doubt I'll become my father, he and I have drastically different interests and more often than not it's my influence that changes him rather than the reverse. But my father's love of Cole Porter musicals was ONE thing that rubbed off onto me I guess.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Do you keep a particular stick or piece of woof around to stir tins of paint? Cause people say that's when it makes you your father.
I'm moving house soon and will be needing to do some redecorating. I cannot wait to have my very own paint-stirrin' stick!

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Why do you use dog limbs for cooking? :p

OT: yes, to my dismay, I'm becoming my father too. Freud would be proud.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
freaper said:
thaluikhain said:
Why do you use dog limbs for cooking? :p

OT: yes, to my dismay, I'm becoming my father too. Freud would be proud.
Why do you cook with paint?

Anyways, I find that sometimes I have very similar mannerisms to my mother, which is annoying, but mostly I am fairly happy that we are very different in many different ways so I have made my peace with it. I am pushing 30 now, so it is too be expected. I'll be rocking away shaking my stick at the youths before you know it.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
No! You have become your grandfather!

In all seriousness, it feels like I'm sorta doing some things my parents would nag me about when I was little. For example, I enjoy going outside and getting a bit of exercise and fresh air, I'm trying to eat healthier, ect.

I mean, obviously that's stuff you need to do to keep healthy, but I'm more open to these kinds of things now that I'm older.

Also, I seem to be acting a lot more like my dad and laughing at immature jokes.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I notice that I sound a lot like my dad when I yell. It was a little jarring the first time I noticed. And now my hair line is receding like his.

I make sure to not have a mustache, so the transformation will never be complete.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
I've been told I'm an old bastard my entire life. When I was growing up I preferred to sit down with a book and a cup of tea to going out and playing. As a teenager I didn't really drink anything other than Ale and Whiskey straight with no ice and usually a single malt, I didn't enjoy house parties where the only thing that people seemed to do was drink.

I preferred going to a beer tasting where everyone was 3 times my age and now I'm in my twenties I prefer going to as cosy pub with an acoustic live band and book to clubbing and poorly remixed pop songs, I think my social anxiety has some relevance to my behaviour but I've always felt very disconnected from my generation.

Always preferred wearing a suit or shirt and trousers to fashion trends and never really understood why people didn't like to follow the dress code at school as I felt it made everyone look very respectable. I'm guessing all this is why I was a prefect and got on well with the faculty, that's not to say I didn't have friends my own age though.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'll never be like my dad. I never had one for starters *badumtish*

Me and my mother are both stupidly stubborn i've noticed, we will end up just going on an extended "NO YOU" fights because neither of us are giving up. Then the "I'M YOUR MOTHER LOL" card comes out

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I wear cravats, have a £150 umbrella, wear chino's and jackets and brogues and tailored formal shirts. I will sit with a paper at breakfast. I discuss politics and finances and the like with my peers. I sometimes grow a moustache for personal amusement...

I am a 25 year old military officer. This is all completely normal!

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
In some ways, yes. I have his sense of humour, we react the same way to annoyances and get angry basically the same way. I also apparently look like my father did at my age.

Yeah, Stef Bos was pretty spot on when he wrote that song...

WhitbyDragon

Jul 15, 2013
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I wear cravats, have a £150 umbrella, wear chino's and jackets and brogues and tailored formal shirts. I will sit with a paper at breakfast. I discuss politics and finances and the like with my peers. I sometimes grow a moustache for personal amusement...

I am a 25 year old military officer. This is all completely normal!
The way you put that makes the mustache growth seem like an active thing, like you sit and concentrate for 5 minutes and suddenly you're Dick Strawbridge!

I would like to insert an image, but am clueless as to how this is done. You all seem like wizards!! Could we not have a button? Please?

On Topic: I just am my Dad, same tastes in books, pastimes, antisocialness and pathetic humour. Could be worse!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I can actually relate since late teens to becoming more like my dad, when looking at pictures he looked like me at, or well Ilook similar to him as when he was younger... you know what I'm trying to say!
And I admire him as a man and as a father so I wouldn't mind growing up with similar traits and such as him. Sure we have our differences when it comes to views on certain things but overall I can see myself growing up become pretty simialr a man as him.
I'm far from grown up thou, just 22 years of age and a lot to do before I'll feel grown

Sep 14, 2009
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
have a £150 umbrella
what the fuck, does that thing have a machine gun secretly hidden in it? why is it so damn expensive?

OT: ehh I flip flop on things,I had a job working for my dad at age 12 (still doing it for 10 years running) so I've had a damn good physical work ethic built up because of it, but my one big moment was when I was 17 I realized I had suddenly matured very quickly emotionally/mentally and it really was reflective of the way my dad treated people, it was a bit of an eye opener seeing his effect on me but i'm glad it happened.

otherwise, we really don't have much in common, completely different interests and tastes in terms of just about every kind of food and stuff.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I wonder about this sometimes but I doubt it. He was more of a player than I have ever been at my age, so unlikely.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I am rather similar to my dad, now that I think of it. Writing and smoking are the two main signature activities that's carried over.

Now, I do look more and more like him with the years. I don't mind. It's all inheritance in a way. Developing the good bits that came with the deal and solving the bad bits.

Although he was a rather kind, gentle man, he could hold his own in a fight when it was needed. I hope I've inherreted that as well. Although I consider it a lucky thing in my life that I've never been truly tested in that.