I have had it with Valve

farmerboy219

Feb 22, 2009
yes we love valve for half life, steam and portal and the gaming industry would be different with out them...BUT WHERE THE HELL IS HALF LIFE 2 EP3!!

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Krylock said:
When was the last time Valve [http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/meanwhile.jpg] announced a completely new series? L4D...how long ago was it?

Now they just announced Portal 2...or should I say Portal: More of the Same."
Actually they have announced portal 2 a long time ago, its just that they now have a proper answer to the release date.
And now the whole thing is more different than the first.
More puzzles, locations and multiplayer/co-op. Thats something new.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Krylock said:
When was the last time Valve [http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/meanwhile.jpg] announced a completely new series? L4D...how long ago was it?

I mean, at least they could have it on a new engine, but NO!

They have used the same engine for an entire decade.

WOW!

Not to mention they have completely forgotten their best franchise! Hey guys! Remember Dr. Freeman! You know, the whole of Earth and stuff!

There should have been no "episodes" in the first place for HL2, and they should have all come out in the same year considering around five minutes were put into each section.

They are the perfect example of a lazy company, stop using the nasty Source engine, and get their engineers to make something that doesn't have Gamecube graphics.

I give up. I can't be pacified with TF2 updates forever. If Valve doesn't announce Episode 3, or HL3 running on a new engine soon I'm just done with them as a developer.

Actually I think they were done with Ep. 3 a long time ago, Gabe just ate it.

What do you think about the company?
Left 4 dead is 2 years old. That's 'not a new game in forever'? 2 years? Portal is 3 years old, as is team fortress 2 and episode 2.

For a company with roughly yearly new releases, they aren't actually doing that bad. I think you just have whiny 'entitlement' issues.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
When Half life Ep. 3 does come out (in 4 years time I reckon), you're going to play it.

Valve doesn't dance to your schedule, nor does it have a moral imperative to dance to your schedule. They release games when they release them. Does that mean that there are unbearably long periods of time between their games? For the most part, yes. Would I like to see Valve develop faster? Yes.

Do you have a right to moan and whine that they don't release games to your pleasing just because you've bought their previous games? No.

Fans are ridiculous, demanding, self-entitled folks who can never be pleased no matter what you do. That's one of the few things I agree with Yahtzee about - the sooner the day comes in which there are no fans, ever, the sooner the internet will one day be certifiably sane.

And if you are seriously saying "Portal 2 is more of the same", yet pining for more Gordon Freeman and his SPAS-12 shotgun and gravity gun, you're a bit inconsistent my friend.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I don't really care about Valve. L4D2 was disappointing and I do not see what is so special about Half Life and Portal.

If anything I hope they release Episode 3 soon just so everyone will stop complaining about it.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Valve is cool, they use the same engine because its a successful engine which I see no problems with. I think if anything, they took their company in the right direction by making sequels to good games, unlike some other companies who release sequels to bad games. You have no idea how excited I get when they release a new different game or an update to TF2.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Krylock said:

You could say the samle about the recent CoD games. You could samy the same about HL2 and episodes.

Krylock said:

That's partly wrong. The source engine is modular, they upgrade parts of it as needed. Portal 2 will ahe better graphics than L4D2. L4D2 has better graphics than Episode 2, Episode 2 has better graphics than Half Life.

Krylock said:
Not to mention they have completely forgotten their best franchise! Hey guys! Remember Dr. Freeman! You know, the whole of Earth and stuff!

There should have been no "episodes" in the first place for HL2, and they should have all come out in the same year considering around five minutes were put into each section.

They are the perfect example of a lazy company, stop using the nasty Source engine, and get their engineers to make something that doesn't have Gamecube graphics.

I give up. I can't be pacified with TF2 updates forever. If Valve doesn't announce Episode 3, or HL3 running on a new engine soon I'm just done with them as a developer.

Valve is lazy. I do agree. However calling the source engine 'nasty' and describing it as having "gamecube graphics?" No way.

Do you know how ahrd it is to make a game engine? It's very, very difficult and time consuming. Of course Valve uses the engine they made. They don't have to get licence for it then.
Anyway, just look at the recent CoD games, they all use a similar engine (dunno about BLOPS though).
The unreal engine is widely used by game devs and has been for years. There's nothing wrong with reusing an engine.

get their engineers
engineers
lol.

K9unittp

Oct 25, 2008
I really don't see what the big deal is here, Valve sticks to what it knows and what it knows is good games. Sure it takes them awhile to put some stuff out but its always worth the wait, who's to say that they aren't just working on an orange box 2?

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
I have and will always love Valve. Although I do wish they came out with Episode 3 sooner.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Sorry to hear you're disappointed, but almost everyone loves Valve. They're a hard company to hate. I will agree that Valve should get back to the series that made them who they are, but they're doing just fine now with Portal and Left 4 Dead. I'm sorry to say, but you put yourself in a lose-lose situation, especially considering the community that's here.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Valve is what Valve is. Someone else mentioned Nintendo, another company that "you know exactly what you're getting from these guys".

It's popular, it sells like gangbusters, and they make more money than they have any right to, but that's kind of the point, isn't it? Gabe Newell's a smart businessman.

(and truth be told, I don't much care for their games, but as a company they have my undying love for that little digital distribution platform they cooked up.)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Source was made so it doesn't need to be repalced, because they can just keep adding to it (next up is cloth physics which only Nvidia have really tried to tackle properly), and the sooner you bloody people understand that sooner you can look at the games and see that they don't look out of date at all.

I've seriously had it with all these whiny, self-entitled, so-called fans.

They're one indie studio - yes, a very rich and succesful one, but they're still independent and they aren't exceptionally huge. They work on the projects that their teams are most enthusiastic to work on, and they take their time.

That's why all of their games are critical and commercial successes.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Looks over at what other developers are doing and reminds myself we are still in a recession.Yep valve are still one of my favourite developers

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Krylock said:

WOW!

If you want a coherent opinion on valve, you're in the wrong place. This is a PC-gamer heavy forum, and almost everyone seems to be a Valve (or Blizzard) fanboy.

The reason why they don't make a new engine is because in the PC gaming industry there isn't money in it. This is why they're releasing their games on console now, too. They need money.

emh204

Oct 20, 2008
they need to release steam cloud or atleast the portal 2 updates on the 360 and not just the ps3 and make episode 3 already i mean just look at telltale they release the first episodic game then each one for the next few months till they are done so why cant valve a company that made all these other games not take a few months to finish up episode 3

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm a big fan of Half-Life 2 and the episodes, but I'm really not that anxious anymore about any sort of announcement regarding the series. When it comes, it comes. No need for undue alarm.

And I pretty much feel the same way about Portal 2.

emh204

Oct 20, 2008
Krylock said:

episode 3 better be the best game in the world or it means they spent all their time they should have been working on it just jerking off to gmod instead