I have had it with Valve

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
I see what your getting at and to some extent i agree with you

although its nice to know they are keeping to what they know

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Original titles are risky. And even though a few dozen people have said it, Dont fix what isnt broke.

Portal was fun. Its getting an update. Hard to ask for more then a sequal to a great game.

koriantor

Nov 9, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Gee, I dunno.... just about every other recent major release.
And why should we care about graphics now? I don't care if L4D2 doesn't look as good as the other games. I mean really, there are a bunch of reasons why this is a GOOD thing for L4D.

The game runs smoothly. I don't think you've ever tried any sort of graphic design. The entire game is based upon getting swarmed by zombies upon zombies upon more zombies. That's a lot to render. Out of all of the games you listed, the only one that comes close to the number of models it has to render is Screed, but I guarantee you, go look at a model of your "normal" citizen in screed and a zombie model from L4D, the zombie will look better... and that's a design choice. I agree with both choices actually. In screed, you rarely ever see them up close so a lower quality model is a-ok! In l4d, you're up close all the friggin' time, so I'd say it works better with the higher quality zombie model.

Oh, and making games costs money. I'd prefer that money be spent on refining gameplay rather than graphics. Starcraft 1 does not have the best graphics, but shoot me if the gameplay in it isn't polished and pretty darn well awesome. It's still selling new 11, 12 years later because it's gameplay is so solid. And the "ugly" graphics was actually one of the selling points for it back in the day. The ugly graphics and low requirements to run it made it quite marketable to those without uberl33t computers. The "ugly" graphics are part of the charm of starcraft. The money for starcraft wasn't spent on the graphics, it was to refine the gameplay, and I'll be darned if I didn't spend a good ammount of time playing starcraft.

Graphics aren't what pulls someone into the game, it's the gameplay. The immersiveness of games doesn't come from the ammount of polygons in your game, it's from how the game is structured, when you play, how you play, why you play (story), etc.

EDIT: Oh, and I can find flaws in every one of those screenshots that throws off it's "realism" for me. Your graphics may be good, but there's a point where it's trying to hard.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Well.. I was starting to be indifferent with Valve but liking Steam. Then they put Neverwinter Nights onto steam. And i loved them again :p.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
I think they need to work on more original titles and actually produce Episode Three.. However, I find they're games very fun to play.. So as long as they continue to make awesome games,I'm inclined to cut them some slack...

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
JediMB said:
Did you know that developers still use Unreal Engine 2?
Technically, it's more the Unreal 2.5 engine. Just me getting a crazy urge to correct people, but yeah, you're totally right.

Also, the Halo games have technically been using the same engine since the first one, released in 2001, but was being worked on since I think 1998 or so. So that's what, 12 years, just updating the same engine.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
What about Blizzard? It had the same business model (before World of Warcraft) and hasn't released any single new intellectual property since... Starcraft in '98?

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
TimeLord said:
Don't fix what isn't broke I suppose.

The L4D series is very popular and very good.

Nearly everyone is excited for Portal 2.

The TF2 updates are free. I don't complain about free stuff.

EDIT: I care little for the Half Life games so HL3 doesn't bother me.
"They are making a new engine and you know that they are perfectionist, when it comes out your going to end up eating your words and your going to play a game by them again."
"Hope I didn't sound accusational but you know it."

cgride555

Aug 15, 2008
They need to release the HL games more often than twice a decade, that's for sure. I can't wait for the new portal though, especially with the lack of creative gameplay we seem to see these days (minus Limbo, which was as good as Portal).

Ertis

Jun 18, 2009
Krylock said:
When was the last time Valve [http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/meanwhile.jpg] announced a completely new series? L4D...how long ago was it?

Now they just announced Portal 2...or should I say Portal: More of the Same."

I mean, at least they could have it on a new engine, but NO!

They have used the same engine for an entire decade.

WOW!

Not to mention they have completely forgotten their best franchise! Hey guys! Remember Dr. Freeman! You know, the whole of Earth and stuff!

There should have been no "episodes" in the first place for HL2, and they should have all come out in the same year considering around five minutes were put into each section.

They are the perfect example of a lazy company, stop using the nasty Source engine, and get their engineers to make something that doesn't have Gamecube graphics.

I give up. I can't be pacified with TF2 updates forever. If Valve doesn't announce Episode 3, or HL3 running on a new engine soon I'm just done with them as a developer.

Actually I think they were done with Ep. 3 a long time ago, Gabe just ate it.

What do you think about the company?
I know right?! Blizzard released their newest series (Starcraft) in 1998! Since then it's just been same old Starcraft, Diablo, and Warcraft stuff over and over again! Man I hate those guys!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
redisforever said:
JediMB said:
Did you know that developers still use Unreal Engine 2?
Technically, it's more the Unreal 2.5 engine. Just me getting a crazy urge to correct people, but yeah, you're totally right.
Since the Source engine has had several version updates as well, I figured that I might as well count UE2 and 2.5 as the same thing.

Fiery Killer

Dec 25, 2010
Honestly, why the hell does it matter what game engine they're using so much? If the game's fun, and the price is reasonable, I'll play it. Valve does both of these.

Team Fortress 2 is cheap, has a long line of updates that add to the game, and in my opinion are way more fun to play than Halo, Call of Duty, or any other big FPS multiplayer games out there right now.

Portal was fantastic and I've been itching for a sequel for a long time, and a lot of additions they've added look really interesting to use.

Krylock said:
If Valve doesn't announce Episode 3, or HL3 running on a new engine soon I'm just done with them as a developer.
So if they released a new game/sequel and it was absolutely amazing, you wouldn't play it JUST because it isn't a new Half Life? That's ridiculous. Why would you be done with any developer as a whole anyway? If a developer makes a great game, and it's fun to play, what does it matter what else they created in the first place? I understand keeping up with what a developer is releasing, and being disapointed that they're not making a sequel to your favorite game, but refusing to buy a game just because of the developer that created it is pretty low.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
...well for one, I don't think you understand what a game engine is. Source is still one of the most realistic in terms of physics and after spending a lot of time doing physics programming, I am mighty fucking impressed by Source still there. They have also been updating the engine for Portal 2 and Episode 3, just like they updated it for Episode 2. I'm fairly sure that's why they're doing Portal 2 first for that matter. Portal 2 is going to be a much bigger challenge on the engine so once that's done, they should be able to move full steam ahead with Half Life. Should but probably won't.

I'm not particularly pro or anti Valve, but you do have to remember than Valve is just Valve in Seattle sitting there on their own. 2K made Bioshock which is another of my favourite game of recent years, but they're made up of 5 different companies who all work on different things. 2K Marin were working on Bioshock 2, 2K Czech were working on Mafia II and Firaxis were working on Civ V.

Valve are one studio working on 2 games at the same time as well as keeping TF2 and L4D fresh and keeping Steam on a leash. If they were lazy, they'd just take over a bunch of small studios, make them do their work then fuck them when they started losing money.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Don't ever be bashing on the Gamecube graphics, I will hunt you down.

That being said, they are just trying to make more money, like every other company. Putting all their resources into creating Half Life which I've got to be frank is highly overrated and would fall on mainly deaf ears in todays market wouldn't be sensible. I have no doubt they will continue and finish the series at a point but it's perfectly understandable that it's not the main focus of their work.

On the new engine point, I never thought there was anything wrong with it, it's not the prettiest thing but everything works beautifully, a new engine would look nice but I'm not sure it's really a big problem at this moment. The only thing I do concur on is that they do need to start up some new series or make a few new one off games, their repertoire is looking smaller and smaller.