I just don't get it!

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
I'm sorry dude, no matter how special the girl might seem, overly obsessive is very, very bad. It means jealousy and no free time to yourself...Like my last relationship.

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
Then my advice is this :)
Talk to her openly, honestly and respectfully. Keep it short but pointful and heartful-

I like you and I care for you (which you do, it is evident in your op), I know you are having a difficult time with this guy right now and I don't want to intrude or disrespect that- you or him. Should you feel comfortable seeing me in the future I would love to give you my number just to start out with a friendship and with the possiblity to build from there. I know I sound like a douche, some guy on the internet gave me this advice.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Mallefunction said:
Well, tell her how you feel, but don't lecture her on her boyfriend. Don't make it seem like you're the better offer because otherwise she won't even want to date you, thinking that you're only trying to make her boyfriend look bad.

Just talk about you and her, keep the boyfriend out of the conversation unless she brings it up.
Never mentioned him to her before... I Don't plan on it either. So you think giving her the note is smart?
I think it would be better to tell her rather than give her a note so that you can properly explain things. If you give her a note, that gives her a chance to possible misinterpret things. That way, you can also answer any questions she has.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Jim-a-Lim said:
Then my advice is this :)
Talk to her openly, honestly and respectfully. Keep it short but pointful and heartful-

I like you and I care for you (which you do, it is evident in your op), I know you are having a difficult time with this guy right now and I don't want to intrude or disrespect that- you or him. Should you feel comfortable seeing me in the future I would love to give you my number just to start out with a friendship and with the possiblity to build from there. I know I sound like a douche, some guy on the internet gave me this advice.
Well, I'm already friends with her...

But saying the last part to her would be hilarious...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Look at my finger. It's pointing towards the Advice Forum. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/538]

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Mallefunction said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Mallefunction said:
Well, tell her how you feel, but don't lecture her on her boyfriend. Don't make it seem like you're the better offer because otherwise she won't even want to date you, thinking that you're only trying to make her boyfriend look bad.

Just talk about you and her, keep the boyfriend out of the conversation unless she brings it up.
Never mentioned him to her before... I Don't plan on it either. So you think giving her the note is smart?
I think it would be better to tell her rather than give her a note so that you can properly explain things. If you give her a note, that gives her a chance to possible misinterpret things. That way, you can also answer any questions she has.
Well, I'd have about 10 minuites of being near her after giving her the note, and it's only a pice of filler paper long...

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
Note is bad, talk is good. Want proof? She is a woman, if you want her to understand you (and if she does have arelationship with you - she will want to so this is important stuff) then you need to demonstrate to her you can communicate well enough for her to appreciate how you feel whilst respecting you.

I'm using that word alot in this thread... respect - someone get an Aretha link in here please!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
I can't think of anything, give her the note when you see trouble bloom in their relationship, if done right you get the girl, he gets pissed off and scurrys away, and she is happy, win.

NickFury90

May 15, 2011
Holy crap, why are you putting this chick on a pedestal? "Oh my God she's just sooo perfect and pretty and funny and blah blah blah". You just need to kick that habit, IMMEDIATELY. I see a lot of nerds doing that shit, then wondering why the girl of their dreams goes off to screw some jerk.

Wait, how old are you, exactly? NOTE-PASSING? Is this elementary school?

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Mallefunction said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Mallefunction said:

Well, I'd have about 10 minuites of being near her after giving her the note, and it's only a pice of filler paper long...
Trust me, talk to her. She will appreciate that much more and this way, she knows EXACTLY how you feel. In a situation like this, you don't want her to EVER misinterpret what you want to say. I am a woman and I've seen how a lot of my friends react to notes...unfortunately, people either read into things too much, or just take it completely out of context. This is probably your only chance to tell her your feelings so you really need to make sure that the message gets through loud and clear.

Also, if you talk to her, she can't just ignore it or put it off for later. Think about that.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
NickFury90 said:
Holy crap, why are you putting this chick on a pedestal? "Oh my God she's just sooo perfect and pretty and funny and blah blah blah". You just need to kick that habit, IMMEDIATELY. I see a lot of nerds doing that shit, then wondering why the girl of their dreams goes off to screw some jerk.

It's not note passing, delebirately giving her a note/poem thing I wrote.

All normal people can say what they think about the one they are attracted to. It's not unusual to complement someone.

NickFury90

May 15, 2011
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
NickFury90 said:

It's not note passing, delebirately giving her a note/poem thing I wrote.

All normal people can say what they think about the one they are attracted to. It's not unusual to complement someone.
No it isn't an unusual. But there's a line, ya know?

And pleeeeease tell me you aren't giving her a damn poem. What, do you think she's gonna see you for this amazing person and fall into your arms, so you can compliment her and dream about how perfect she is? "Oh MASTACHIEFPWN you're so sweet, I love that you constantly think of how wonderful and amazing I am, that's such an attractive quality in a man!"

I'm just giving you a reality check, fellow escapist. Women like jerks not because they like abuse, but they like mates that will challenge them, that will keep them interested, keep the spark in their relationship going. They don't want a pet who will lap up everything they do.

You just have to get out of this "nice guy" routine you're in. She has a boyfriend, you aren't getting in there, and giving her a poem about how totally awesome she is doesn't help matters. My advice is to just move on until an opportunity presents itself for you to move in on her. There's pleeeeenty of fish in the sea out there.

finecrazydud

Mar 6, 2010
if shes is your friend thats how you get her number just saw " here in case you wanna talk sometime" and if the boy friend starts something try to get him to hit you, dont fight back , stand there and take it. this has worked for me before.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I have a feeling that there is more going on behind the scenes. I've seen this kind of thing before, and there is a lot hiding from plain sight.

I really can't give you advice one way or the other, just think that there's a good chance there's more to this whole thing than you know

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Go for it. She might realize he's a dick and more importantly that she's got options, namely you if you're lucky. The reason some girls stick around with dicks is because they think together and miserable is better than alone.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
One of the unfortunate facts of the world, is that sometimes people just don't know what's best for them, and it sounds like this might be one of those cases. That said, you also might ask yourself if you want this girl to see you as the type of guy who would try and interfere with someone else's relationship?

I know being patient can suck. Even more if the result of being patient is that you find that you just need to move on. But I think that in cases where you're going after someone who's already in a relationship, often just letting things take their natural course is better than trying to assert your own notion of how things ought to be.

ThePizzaGuy556

Aug 26, 2009
Her being in a relationship doesn't really have to stop you. I mean you've made it clear you don't care about how the other guy feels so just go for it.

NickFury90

May 15, 2011
Zetion said:
Seems appropriate.

Damn nice guy threads.
Now see, if I had just had this visual aid of sorts earlier, I wouldn't have to rant.

You are the man. YOU are the prize in the relationship, Chief. She should be chasing you, not the other way around.