I Just Joined the "PC Master Race", what games should i buy???

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Pfft...ha...which games should I buy...honestly...you know the answer to this:

All of them

Steam, GoG, SEGA for House of the Dead 2, and you're sorted

Aug 1, 2010
You should get Halo Rea- OH WAIT.

[sub/]Sorry... I couldn't resist....[/sub]

I would strongly suggest Sins of a Solar Empire. One of my favorite games ever.

If you are even a bit interested in Warhammer 40k, get the entire Dawn of War series.

Company of Heroes is also a good RTS choice.

Other than RTS games, go for Metro 2033. Great game, great price.

drednoahl

Nov 23, 2011
What I've found with PC gaming is that the games I like most are the ones I never expected to like that much. I've found that the games I enjoy the most are quirky; probably the kind of game that would get a 7 out of 10, so games I recommend should honestly be taken with a pinch of salt - most are awkward to learn how to play... so thinking about it I won't bother recommending any games.

One of the first games I got for PC was Fallout New Vegas. I loved the game on 360, but it crashed all the damn time so figured I'd mod the hell out of the PC version - a move I've not regretted. My suggestion would be to get the PC version of a game you really enjoyed on whatever format you played before, and mod it however you see fit.

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
If you haven't beat Skyrim on a console, and you like RPGs, I would start there. ME1, 2 and 3 of corse..Portal, Portal 2. If you like RTS, Age of Empires Online, CC3, Red Alert 3, Starcraft 2, WC3.

For shooters, check out Killing Floor on Steam. Also, Crysis, Crysis 2.

What awaits you, my friend.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
GiantRaven said:
Go buy a bunch of games in preferred genre from GOG.com
^ this would be my biggest recommendation. GOG is a goldmine.

In addition to the titles already recommended above, if you're into RPGs then Ultima VII is ancient but a must-play :)

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Also, if you don't mind some more dated graphics and want classics without worrying about DRM (welcome to our little hell), I'd definitely recommend GOG.com. They've got classics to recommend:
Baldur's Gate, Fallout for the RPG's.
Painkiller and Serious Sam for the FPS's.
And I'm not a huge RTS buff, but I've got to note Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Sacrifice as having massive influences from RTS. Giants is FPS/RTS, and Sacrifice is a damn treasure that should be tried by everyone right freaking now. Er, I mean it's kind of like Brütal Legend, but brilliant. You run around as a wizard, controlling your legions of minions in an attempt to destroy other wizards in service of whatever god you felt like helping out today.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Definitely get Earth: 2160. Plot and voice acting are complete shit but the gameplay more than makes up for that.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/earth_2160

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
iBagel said:
PLAY MIRRORS EDGE ON HIGH SETTINGS NOW!

With PhysX enabled if you have an nVidia card.
Shhesh, you'll need at least two of those cards to run Mirrors Edge on High with PhysX. I get about 20 FPS on my GTX580 with all the bells and whistles.
DazZ. said:
daveman247 said:
Also: Do you have long flowing blond hair yet?
I do, now kneel and become my stallion.

Check out some of the free stuff, like Tribes: Acsend, League of Legends & Team Fortress 2.
Tribes being the latest of those.

Other than that Battlefield 3 is quite fun if you don't mind paying for map packs.
Yes it is, it really is. I'm pretty sure you can buy an edition that includes Back to Karkand in the price, buy that one, it's called the Limited Edition. It was pre-order only apparently but I see it in retail stores all the time. The BF2 maps are much more strategic than the maps that ship with Vanilla BF3.

I'd recommend S.T.A.L.K.E.R. VtM:Bloodlines, Minecraft, and To The Moon as recent games* worth checking out. Don't forget to check Desura (Steam for mods) Good Old Games and all the fantastic Indie games out there that aren't necessarily on Steam. DON'T BUY MUCH ON STEAM RIGHT NOW. Checkout their daily deals, midweek specials and weekend specials by all means, but hold off if you can for one of the BIG sales.

*I really am quite old, they seem recent to me. Hell VtM:Bloodlines is as old as HL2.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Also, I literally just had to enter "the all-new Chevy Sanic" into the captcha field to post. Escapist, fix this plox.
they switched back to the commercial ones bad Escapist!
OT
The Orange Box and pretty much everything by Bethesda.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Get into the indie stuff. Amnesia is one I would definitely recommend, since the game is both very high quality in terms of visuals and also will scare the ever loving SHIT out of you.

Space pirates and zombies -it's a 2d game that could probably play on an iPod but if you don't get this you are missing out.

Tf2 and World of Tanks are good if you're really into multiplayer.

Nothing else I can think of that hasn't already been said...

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
I'd recommend Civilization 4: Complete. Civ 5 has already been out for a while but it needs some more expansions before it's as good as Civ 4. Plus, Civ 4 is cheaper and has years worth of awesome mods.

The Dawn of War series are good RTS, and the same studio also makes Company of Heroes, which is the best military RTS.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Browse through Steam a bit, build up your wishlist and wait for any of it's sales, mainly summer and winter, same with GOG.

Also, I'd recommend you to keep an eye for the Humble Indie Bundles (not to be confused by the Royale and Gala Indie Bundles, those are crap), lots of neat stuff there.

As for MY personal favorites that I'd recommend you to try, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, although a bit old, it's still loads of fun and still has a strong following, it's free and it happens to be the game that introduced me to multiplayer FPS gaming in my PC and one of my favorite games of all time.

Also Team Fortress 2, similar to Enemy Territory, also free and with much better graphics.

League of Legends, free Action-Strategy game with lots of people with anger management issues, but lots of fun nonetheless.

Cave Story, you can download the free version, but I highly recommend you buy the "plus" version from Steam, it improves a lot over the original game and fixes many technical issues the original had.

Dungeons & Dragons Online, great F2P MMO with lots of dungeons and not so many dragons, but quite epic indeed.

Lord of The Rings Online, amazing MMO F2P, from the same studio of DDO and a very different game, but quite amazing too.

Also, there are many free MMOs in Steam, and many of those are great, like Spiral Knights, Star Trek Online, Fallen Earth, Everquest 2, Champions Online, DC Universe Online, Realm of The Mad God and many more. Note that these aren't entirely "free", but they let you play a lot without paying too much or anything at all.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
I'd say look at the indie stuff and the old stuff. There's a lot of great AAA stuff on PC but chances are you already know about it or even played it on a console anyways. So look into the low profile stuff you can't find anywhere else.

You can get the first two Elder Scrolls free from Bethesda. Since you said you were playing Skyrim they could be fun to check out, but personally I like the newer stuff better.

Amnesia: The Dark Decent is a really fantastic horror/puzzle game. It can be a little plodding from time to time but it's legendarily scary and extremely eldritch, Lovecraft would be proud.

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy is like Deus Ex with every little bit turned up to 11. Its not necessarily better, but even with the obvious comparison it still isn't really like anything else I've played. It doesn't always fit together as well as it should but it's worth checking out.

Dear Esther is a brilliant little piece of outside the box storytelling if outside the box storytelling is your kind of thing. There isn't any real kind of interaction, challenge or even gameplay, but as an exercise in atmosphere and narrative it's utterly fantastic.

Cryostasis is incredibly slow paced and maybe a bit too long for its own good, but otherwise it's a really strong survival horror FPS. It combines some truly bizarre story and imagery, the most unique health system I've ever seen in a shooter, and probably the only real example I can think of where time travel is used in gameplay rather then just time manipulation.

There's a lot more, digging through the lists on steam is the best way to start. And Good Old Games is an invaluable resource, they've got a bunch of real classics on there like Fallout, Myst, Planescape Torment, Thief, Baulder's Gate, again a lot. Oh, and the entire Marathon trilogy is currently free cause it went open source, it's not hard to find if you google it and its worth checking out. It's like Doom but with a better story, in that it actually has one.

way2sl0w

Resident COD Fanboy
Jan 29, 2012
Being part of the "PC Master Race" is not about games. It's about the smug sense of superiority over those console scrubs (check mark for you), how high your PC can score on the Battlefield 3 & Witcher 2 benchmarks, and crying on forums about how crappy console ports are holding back the DirectX 11 tesselating ubersampling awesomeness of the PC.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
If your interested in strategy or city builing, try out Galactic Civilizations II, Sins of A Solar Empire, Sim City 3000, Sim City 4, Civilization V, and if you do end up snooping around Good Ol' Games, try Master of Orion II.

A lot of the others reccommendations are good, too.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Play a 4x4 embark on Dwarf Fortress and tell us what FPS you get. That is the true test.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Eh, I would say just play what you have for now. Steam should be throwing a spring sale relatively soon. At which point you can "BUY ALL THE THINGS!!!"