I just uninstalled Skyrim

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Fishyash said:
Skin said:
In my opinion, you have very low standards if you think Skyrim is a good game. Yes it is big, but so are MMORPG's...
Too many people in the world have low standards?
Let me fix what he said for a minute.

If you think Skyrim is a FUN and ENJOYABLE game, then by all means, go enjoy it :)

He is, however, right when he says that if you think Skyrim is a good game (or a display of good game design), then you have very low standards indeed.

Or to put it another way: If you happen to be into S&M sex, i can't tell you that there is anything wrong with that if that's what turn you on the most. I can, however, tell you that getting whipped isn't very healthy.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Wow this story is so intense, I almost gave a shit!

Sorry about that I just get pissed off when people make threads just to tell people they didn't like something, that a lot of other people have already made threads about not liking.

I can agree with some of what you are saying though, I havn't actually played in since before Christmas, still love it though.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I loved it for the first 70 or so hours. After that I played 15 more hours, and now it feels like the magic is gone completely. After 70 hours, nothing had changed. I was the boss of several factions, but that didn't change anything either, other than small remarks from passing guards. Having the same guard first commend me on being the bad-ass leader of the Companions and ten seconds later berate me for being the leader of an infamous band of assassins killed it for me. That single happenstance "ruined" (for lack of a better word) the fun I was having up until that point.
Still, I managed to sink 10-15 hours more into the game after that, so I can't say it's bad either, because it's not. Bah, I'm not even sure how I feel about it. Maybe I'll go back when they release DLC. Time will tell.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Athinira said:
He is, however, right when he says that if you think Skyrim is a good game (or a display of good game design), then you have very low standards indeed.
When were you elected the arbiter of what constitutes good games, or good game design? I've looked for your credentials on Google, and I haven't been able to find anything.

Athinira said:
Or to put it another way: If you happen to be into S&M sex, i can't tell you that there is anything wrong with that if that's what turn you on the most. I can, however, tell you that getting whipped isn't very healthy.
Clearly you're NOT an authority on good analogies, though.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Usually, you should feel rewarded for something like constantly sneaking around or constantly bashing people with your over-sized hammer.

Unfortunately, all the enemies level up with you at a predetermined and much more focused rate. Which means, while you have been learning how to make potions and stealth around, the enemies have learned DIAMOND ARMOR & CLOUD'S RAGNAROK SWORD LOL.

Seriously, I gave up ten hours in.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I just uninstalled Dungeon Siege 2 so i could have more hard drive space and i feel nothing... sorry i thought we were just sharing

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Mythrignoc said:
It's the media hype that leads people to believe it's either going to be the best damn game in the world, or a horrifying disappointment.

However, if people were to try and take Skyrim for what it is, it's a pretty damn good game with a solid, even if cliched story.

Skyrim to me is a major improvement over oblivion on every area. The combat is much more intense and interactive (simply moving back and forth while striking isn't the end all tactic like it was in Morrowind and Oblivion), spells are far more dynamic and balanced (no powerleveling the shit out of alteration just by casting it while destruction is left behind), the NPC's while redundant, at least have far more interesting things to say (I'd TOTALLY fucking take the Arrow to the Knee comments over "I saw a mudcrab the other day, disgusting things. Bye."), and there are countless other things that work so well in this.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Does it have flaws, more than enough to occasionally break a game. But, if you can look past some of the inconsistencies, flaws and bugs, it can be a great gaming experience.

That said, if you can't look past the bugs/flaws in a game as massive as this then no, you won't enjoy the game and you're also kind of an idiot to think that this game would be perfect.

Bethesda isn't about perfection; their forte lies in scale and epicness. Bit by bit, they're improving their formula for combining that with the "Be whatever you want to be, and do whatever you want to do" sort of gameplay and while I don't imagine the next game will be the golden ticket either, personally, I'm patient enough to give them a chance.

After the catastrofuck that was oblivion, this game fixed about 90% of my issues with oblivion and gave me a really wonderful experience, and while I hated bethesda before for what they did with oblivion, I can't overlook how much they've improved and I think they deserve some credence.
It seems to me that comments like yours (and there are many) are really saying that those who hate Oblivion will be the most likely to love Skyrim. To me, that is evidence enough of how far Skyrim has strayed from the expectations of TES fans. In short, Bethesda sold out TES fans.

Lawlhat

Mar 17, 2009
I enjoyed the game enough to play through it once, which was about 80 hours of gameplay. Haven't picked it up since but am still happy with my purchase. I wish most RPGs had environments as good as Skyrim's.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
It seems to me that comments like yours (and there are many) are really saying that those who hate Oblivion will be the most likely to love Skyrim. To me, that is evidence enough of how far Skyrim has strayed from the expectations of TES fans. In short, Bethesda sold out TES fans.
Buh?

They're extraordinarily similar, sharing almost all the same virtues and all the same flaws.

Hate Skyrim if that floats your boat. But sold out TES fans? Good grief, people.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Somonah said:
You know what breaks immersion for me?

Sitting at my desk and the knowledge it's only a game.

I need the matrix, i hear that has good immersion.
Yeah, man, there's nothing more immersion breaking than having to use a computer to play a game!

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
I think somebody needs to call the Hyperbole police.

In my opinion, what's happened here is that you're disappointed...hence, your disappointment has caused you to hate every aspect of the game.

Maybe the NPC's weren't as great as you expected, but I guarantee they are significantly better than some other games?

Maybe you didn't feel as immersed as you expected, but surely Skyrim offered more immersion than some other games?

Yet finally, calling it "the biggest load of shit I have ever had on my harddrive." is sure to be an exaggeration?

For example, ummm..."internet explorer"? "Duke Nukem Forever"?

I just think people create a game in their mind, then the real thing doesn't live up to their pre-conceived one. So people can't even like/enjoy the game without thinking about what they thought it should be like. I've ready so many posts of "played 100 hours, bored/finished Skyrim"...but surely that 100 hours offered to you for the same price of some 8 hour shit that is released is worth it?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BloatedGuppy said:
Crono1973 said:
Buh?

They're extraordinarily similar, sharing almost all the same virtues and all the same flaws.

Hate Skyrim if that floats your boat. But sold out TES fans? Good grief, people.
Maybe you haven't noticed all the "Oblivion sucked, Skyrim is the best game ever!" posts?

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Athinira said:
Fishyash said:
Skin said:
In my opinion, you have very low standards if you think Skyrim is a good game. Yes it is big, but so are MMORPG's...
Too many people in the world have low standards?
Let me fix what he said for a minute.

If you think Skyrim is a FUN and ENJOYABLE game, then by all means, go enjoy it :)

Okay, first things first:
That analogy man... I didn't like it, it didn't help you express your point to me... at all.

But anyways, as I was about to say... enjoying a universally acclaimed game means I have low standards? It sounds a little bit elitist. They must have done a lot of things right, more than just good marketing, to have a game not only sell well, but to be well reviewed among a vast majority.

Your standards are too high. I am 100% right by the way.

El Presidente

Dec 26, 2011
You say Hannah Montana, I say Slipknot
You say Justin Bieber, I say Metallica
You say Eminem, I SCREAM RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
You say pop, I say rock
You say rap, I say METALLL
FUMBS UP IF YOU LISTEN TO REAL MUSIC
That's what you sound like right now. You're that guy.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Maybe you haven't noticed all the "Oblivion sucked, Skyrim is the best game ever!" posts?
I'm not sure if this is your first time on the internet, chum, but the discovery of some forum posts and crazy opinions is not necessarily proof of anything.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
So, by virtue of you disliking Skyrim it's a bad game? I like it, I think it's a good game, but I also didn't really pay attention to the hype. I didn't even really consider it until I saw a friend playing it. I still can't quite think of what else to say that everyone else hasn't already said. Please don't waste time creating threads just to say something negative about something you didn't like, it's awfully trite.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Syzygy23 said:
You have an imagination don't you? Solved most of my problems with Skyrim. Actually, now that I think about it, imagination has solved most of the problems with EVERY game I've ever played...
Stop expecting games to do everything for you and your experience will assuredly improve
Incredibly weak dialogue, a very standard plot, no character development and very little consequence do not just disappear because I have the power of imagination. They are justified by the fact that it's not what the series focuses on. Of course, I use my imagination to improve all my games, but Skyrim did its best to shove the fact that it's a dead and shallow game into my face at every possibility it got.

I prefer to use imagination in order to improve an already powerful, interesting or touching story (aka plot, characters and whatnot). Skyrim had none of those, but it did have the bare minimum (with the help of imaaaginaaaashuuuun) in order for me to at least play through the game for a while and not uninstall it after just a few hours of gameplay.

Overall, it's an excellent game within its sub-genre. I just put a very high value on good writing, that's all. So again, this has very little to do with Skyrim and more to do with my RPG preference. I do find your final sentence to be somewhat irritating though, as it does not fully apply to the situation.

I'm also not sure whether the physics/animations section is directed at me, because I never actually said anything about those. On a somewhat related note, Skyrim is vastly superior to Oblivion for me in more ways than one.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Low standards in choice in games?

My my, someone doth protest too much, methinks.

I'm having a hell of a good time playing Skyrim, and really that's my standard in playing games, am I having fun. If yes, then mission accomplished, if not, then that games goes away.

You didn't have fun playing Skyrim and didn't like it, but there are people that love the game. Please don't be condescending.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BloatedGuppy said:
Crono1973 said:
I'm not sure if this is your first time on the internet, chum, but the discovery of some forum posts and crazy opinions is not necessarily proof of anything.
I said evidence, not proof. Do they teach you the difference at your daycare center? Go ask one of the adults what the difference is, chum!

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Kristian Fischer said:
Duffeknol said:
And I feel nothing.

This game literally has been one of the most miserable gaming experiences of my life.

I hope I forget about Skyrim, the biggest load of shit I have ever had on my harddrive.

You were expecting an Escapist forum badge?
I already have one.