Hal10k said:
Crono1973 said:
Hal10k said:
Crono1973 said:
SirBryghtside said:
Crono1973 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Crono1973 said:
It seems to me that comments like yours (and there are many) are really saying that those who hate Oblivion will be the most likely to love Skyrim. To me, that is evidence enough of how far Skyrim has strayed from the expectations of TES fans. In short, Bethesda sold out TES fans.
Buh?

They're extraordinarily similar, sharing almost all the same virtues and all the same flaws.

Hate Skyrim if that floats your boat. But sold out TES fans? Good grief, people.
Maybe you haven't noticed all the "Oblivion sucked, Skyrim is the best game ever!" posts?
...apart from the fact that Oblivion is one of 4 Elder Scrolls games that came before Skyrim? It lived up to and blew apart my expectations, as a person who loved Morrowind, likes Daggerfall and can't stand Oblivion.
Why can't you stand Oblivion but like Morrowind and Skyrim?
The common sentiments that I have seen point out the somewhat generic environment design, copy-and-paste locations, comically bad voice acting, the flawed leveling system, and the fact that all of the NPCs looked like potatoes. Many people who disliked Oblivion for these reasons felt that Skyrim addressed these concerns well.
It didn't though.

Skyrim has:

- generic environment design (ie, mountains and snow vs forests)
- copy and paste locations
- bad voice acting and comic dialog (ie, the arrow to the knee and the horrific german accent)
- the level scaling system is better but not by much
- The NPC's do look better but that hardly helps gameplay
Like I said, people felt that Skyrim addressed these concerns. Something that feels unique or interesting to one person will feel generic or boring to another. Different people take up different cues from their surroundings. The people who are complimenting Skyrim over Oblivion are the ones who saw positive differences in the game.
You didn't answer my a question then. I ask why YOU like Morrowind and Skyrim and not Oblivion. I know what every one else is saying and I think none of it rings true (as I pointed out with bullet points).

I think Skyrim is worse because the leveling system has been reduced to three attributes and perks. The perks being far more important than your skills (you can have a high skill level in something but it not be as good as having a low skill level plus a perk).

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Meh, immersion is overrated. I can't tell you how many lame complaints I've heard about regenerating health, or cutscenes breaking immersion and saying that the game was bad because of it. What, the main character touching a med kit and having all of his wounds magically disappear is fine, but standing behind a rock and healing is just too much? I think you're overreacting because you can't...slaughter everyone though...really? We have GTA for that.

Though I do agree with you that the game isn't perfect, and it can be annoying to see people treat it as perfect and then get angry whenever someone tried to criticize it...kinda like Half Life and Portal.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
kinapuffar said:
Duffeknol said:
Also, enough with the 'so you didn't like it big deal don't make a thread about it'. Shut up.

This is a forum for gaming discussion. I disliked a game and I stated my reasons. I wanted to write this thread because I was frustrated with the game, and after posting it, I felt better. This had led to a discussion.

How about I turn your own weapons against you: if you don't want to read about people having a negative opinion on a game you like, don't click those threads and don't reply. This point is as moot as yours.

EDIT: copy pasted this to OP as well

Most people love it though. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the game, maybe there's something wrong with YOU.

Troloololol, did I blow your mind, bro?

Also, Skyrim doesn't have German accents, it has Scandinavian accents. (aside from the arnold one, and arnold isn't german, he's from Austria)
And the Scandinavian accents are spot on.
Ok then, I don't like the Scandinavian accents. Sure, it grows on you but the first time I heard it I thought "I hope it's just this one NPC".

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Duffeknol said:
Final act of defiance? Hell I don't know. I do feel better, though.
Then I'll have to agree with everyone else. Even if you're not a troll or trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial, you're damn well making it look that way. And now I know this thread shouldn't be here in the first place.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
kinapuffar said:
Duffeknol said:
Also, enough with the 'so you didn't like it big deal don't make a thread about it'. Shut up.

This is a forum for gaming discussion. I disliked a game and I stated my reasons. I wanted to write this thread because I was frustrated with the game, and after posting it, I felt better. This had led to a discussion.

How about I turn your own weapons against you: if you don't want to read about people having a negative opinion on a game you like, don't click those threads and don't reply. This point is as moot as yours.

EDIT: copy pasted this to OP as well

Most people love it though. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the game, maybe there's something wrong with YOU.

Troloololol, did I blow your mind, bro?

Also, Skyrim doesn't have German accents, it has Scandinavian accents. (aside from the arnold one, and arnold isn't german, he's from Austria)
And the Scandinavian accents are spot on.
I get the feeling that outside of Europe, Scandinavian = rubbish German

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Peuter said:
Skin said:
Fishyash said:
there are still good things about it. Some people may not be as willing to discuss why a game is good rather than why a game is bad.
Sure Skyrim MAY have some good things, but I challenge you to tell me what they are, and why they in turn make the game special. Your going to really have to rack your brain and be real imaginative with this one, because there isn't anything good in Skyrim. There are some mediocre things, and there are bad things.
Well, first of all, you are contradicting yourself here. First you say there MAY be some good things, then you state that there isn't anything good, only some mediocre and bad things.

But, since you challenge people to find ANYTHING good about Skyrim, here goes: I find it very hard to believe that you feel the quite sizeable world of Skyrim (in which not a single area has been done by repeating copy/paste work), which they sculpted meticulously and looks really good despite having low-res textures, is at best a mediocre thing, or that the amazing score, by Jeremy Soule, is at best a mediocre thing.
So, your argument is that there is no copy/pate work in Skyrim?

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
erttheking said:
I think you're overreacting because you can't...slaughter everyone though...really?
I also put all the dead children on top of the burners in town and took screenshots of it. Overreacting might be an understatement.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Fishyash said:
Although I think even after all this time, if you spent over 300 hours on it I think it's a bit... excessive, especially since the Skyrim creation toolset hasn't come out yet.
Really? Hmm... I guess it's safe to say Iv'e spent over 200 hours on the Xbox 360 version with two different save files without sounding like that was the only reason I lived. Thanks.

OT: Just to make this post more lengthy:
Just because it has rag doll physics doesn't make it bad. Some people like it.
Just because it has idiotic NPCs doesn't make it bad. Some people like it.
Just because it has non-consequential actions doesn't make it bad. Some people like it.

If you're having trouble finding the good things within Skyrim, look up some reviews of it. I hear there's one on this website. Though that might seem pointless since you aim to not play it ever again.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Curiously, this thread makes me want to play Skyrim again.

No.. must wait for expansions & mods.

Relevant: Slags off NPC's/AI and explains why they're so disappointing. "It's because Skyrim makes you expect more".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Duffeknol said:
erttheking said:
I think you're overreacting because you can't...slaughter everyone though...really?
I also put all the dead children on top of the burners in town and took screenshots of it. Overreacting might be an understatement.
...yes that would enrich your gaming experience...you know I don't think that this game is for you. You might want to try grand theft auto.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
Duffeknol said:
Sigh. Listen, I was THE first person on this forum who had a negative opinion on Skyrim, because I was one of the first people to have played it here. People went completely nuts when one of the first threads they saw had negative things to say about the game. Thing was, no one COULD say anything about the game yet, because THEY hadn't played it yet. But STILL they decided to attack me and yelled nothing but 'OMG U HAVE 2 B WRONG U R A TROLL FUK U'. Yeah, that pissed me off. For fuck's sakes these people admitted to not having played the game yet. Instead of simply not believing me, and waving it off as 'I don't believe you, I'll see for myself when it's out for me", they told me I was fucking wrong, called me troll, and wanted my head on a spike. Without. Having. Played. Themselves.
Yes, I remember you making a post a few days before it came out, stating your dislike for it.
Perhaps the reason people called you a troll is because this is the internet, where trolls are common and, while entirely possible you had the game early, you being a troll was a lot more likely. No offence, but when you're bashing a game as hyped up as Skyrim was before it's even been released, you have to expect a little backlash.
Personally I like the game, that's my opinion. You don't like it, and that's fine too.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
erttheking said:
Duffeknol said:
erttheking said:
...yes that would enrich your gaming experience...you know I don't think that this game is for you. You might want to try grand theft auto.
Yeah I noticed, it's one of the reasons I uninstalled it (it made me so angry I went nuts in-game), not just because I didn't like it.

Angry_squirrel said:
Duffeknol said:
Sigh. Listen, I was THE first person on this forum who had a negative opinion on Skyrim, because I was one of the first people to have played it here. People went completely nuts when one of the first threads they saw had negative things to say about the game. Thing was, no one COULD say anything about the game yet, because THEY hadn't played it yet. But STILL they decided to attack me and yelled nothing but 'OMG U HAVE 2 B WRONG U R A TROLL FUK U'. Yeah, that pissed me off. For fuck's sakes these people admitted to not having played the game yet. Instead of simply not believing me, and waving it off as 'I don't believe you, I'll see for myself when it's out for me", they told me I was fucking wrong, called me troll, and wanted my head on a spike. Without. Having. Played. Themselves.
Yes, I remember you making a post a few days before it came out, stating your dislike for it.
Perhaps the reason people called you a troll is because this is the internet, where trolls are common and, while entirely possible you had the game early, you being a troll was a lot more likely. No offence, but when you're bashing a game as hyped up as Skyrim was before it's even been released, you have to expect a little backlash.
Personally I like the game, that's my opinion. You don't like it, and that's fine too.
You're probably right. I also let it get to me a bit too much, especially since this incident actually had an effect on my gaming experience, which is silly, but it happened any way.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Hal10k said:
Crono1973 said:
Hal10k said:
Crono1973 said:
SirBryghtside said:
Crono1973 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Crono1973 said:
It seems to me that comments like yours (and there are many) are really saying that those who hate Oblivion will be the most likely to love Skyrim. To me, that is evidence enough of how far Skyrim has strayed from the expectations of TES fans. In short, Bethesda sold out TES fans.
Buh?

They're extraordinarily similar, sharing almost all the same virtues and all the same flaws.

Hate Skyrim if that floats your boat. But sold out TES fans? Good grief, people.
Maybe you haven't noticed all the "Oblivion sucked, Skyrim is the best game ever!" posts?
...apart from the fact that Oblivion is one of 4 Elder Scrolls games that came before Skyrim? It lived up to and blew apart my expectations, as a person who loved Morrowind, likes Daggerfall and can't stand Oblivion.
Why can't you stand Oblivion but like Morrowind and Skyrim?
The common sentiments that I have seen point out the somewhat generic environment design, copy-and-paste locations, comically bad voice acting, the flawed leveling system, and the fact that all of the NPCs looked like potatoes. Many people who disliked Oblivion for these reasons felt that Skyrim addressed these concerns well.
It didn't though.

Skyrim has:

- generic environment design (ie, mountains and snow vs forests)
- copy and paste locations
- bad voice acting and comic dialog (ie, the arrow to the knee and the horrific german accent)
- the level scaling system is better but not by much
- The NPC's do look better but that hardly helps gameplay
Like I said, people felt that Skyrim addressed these concerns. Something that feels unique or interesting to one person will feel generic or boring to another. Different people take up different cues from their surroundings. The people who are complimenting Skyrim over Oblivion are the ones who saw positive differences in the game.
You didn't answer my a question then. I ask why YOU like Morrowind and Skyrim and not Oblivion. I know what every one else is saying and I think none of it rings true (as I pointed out with bullet points).

I think Skyrim is worse because the leveling system has been reduced to three attributes and perks. The perks being far more important than your skills (you can have a high skill level in something but it not be as good as having a low skill level plus a perk).
Don't take my words the wrong way: I liked Oblivion. Not as much as I liked Morrowind, and I'm still reserving judgement on Skyrim until I can reflect upon it more in hindsight, but I still thought Oblivion was really good, especially when you take Shivering Isles into account. It still had flaws, though, and the reason Skyrim has garnered so much praise is that many people feel it addresses those flaws. This may not ring true to you, but it does for many people. And if somebody says "I enjoyed Skyrim's locations more than Oblivion's" or "I liked the voice acting in Skyrim more than Oblivion", you can't really tell them that they're wrong.

I'm not entirely sure how we segued into a discussion of the leveling system, but I prefer the perk system to the previous game's linear stat progressions. It allows for greater specialization, even if you've managed to max out your stats, and makes for immediate, noticeable benefits to leveling, as opposed to "You can swing your sword incrementally faster". It seems like a natural extension of Oblivion's "You can cast Expert Level Destruction magic now" stuff, at least in that regard.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I really don't get why so many people, since the game came out have been coming out to announce that the game isn't good to them.

The NPCs don't act human enough? In what RPG have they ever been really human? Random walking paths, talking about the same thing since the start of said game, everyone of them dropping their uninteresting life story on a protagonist who's been seeing the world killing monsters and what not.

There's never been a game beyond maybe Mass Effect that really acted out and talked but even that games system was flawed. I mean look at Oblivion showered with praise as a great game with a shitty story, ugly visuals and the worst NPCs in voice acted NPC history, but Skyrim is worse with it's better art direction, more solid story, better sights, sounds, voice acting.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
karoliso said:
Savagezion said:
4. If you take the initiative to create a character with quirks based on the lore, and you adhere to those quirks, Bethesda has created a world that offers interesting experiences and social/political dilemmas. This is a rare thing in video games.
No, it's not rare. Have you played Dragon Age?
Again, you named 1 game out of the millions that exist and say it isn't rare. I didn't claim non-existant. I said rare. As in there isn't many. Again morality systems are separate from this.

Savagezion said:
5. The combat system is a vast improvement over the old one especially with perks having been brought in.
Saying that it's better than the previous Elder Scrolls game doesn't mean that it's good. It just means it's better than crap.
This pretty well sums up your take on my views posted of positive things about Skyrim give or take. However, to me, this just illustrates where our expectations were going in. I know Bethesda is a sub-par developer. I knew that going in. I found Morrowind a good idea for a game that had potential but fucked up the execution, I saw Oblivion as actually embracing and embellishing on the worst parts of Morrowind. Oblivion was a terrible game that didn't even hold potential from my perspective or at least really hid that potential under a pile of manure.
I went into Skyrim holding it to Bethesda's previous work. That included Fallout 3, TES 3 and 4, and the many games it had been producing. (Wet, Rage, Brink, etc.) I didn't buy a Bethesda game expecting a Bioware or CD Project game that it seems many people did. I bought it expecting a Bethesda game. It is a good Bethesda game. Possibly the only good Bethesda game, but I would concede to someone to saying Morrowind was too. I just don't view it as one personally. TES games are unique. To compare TES to Dragon Age is a bit of a stretch in the sense that it is clear the mission statement is vastly different. If I want to play an vast exploration RPG, Skyrim is a good game. If I want something a bit more focused, you have Cd Project and Bioware.

What I mean by comparing it to previous Bethesda games is that it is good in that it isn't bad. It certainly isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't the greatest. But it is pretty good because nothing else offers what it does. Social/Political delimmas are rare enough in game, but having decent combat, a decent story that is presented and told well, and a vast world to explore and roam unparalleled. It is a good game in its own right. It may just not be to your taste if exploration isn't something you care to really sink your teeth into. If all you see it as is how far away the next checkpoint is, this crucial part of the praise just isn't your thing.