I live in Japan. Ask me stuff!

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
inu-kun said:
How is japanese television?
Like anywhere, it's pretty crap. It's mostly variety shows and dramas, with some animated stuff here and there. I once tuned in to see them playing an episode of the original Fullmetal Alchemist series as well as an episode of Rurouni Kenshin, I didn't think Japan cared about these older series!

inu-kun said:
How much do you see of american pop culture in japan? (comic book heroes for example)
There's a fair bit of it, especially Hollywood blockbusters. There's a fair number of stores in Akihabara that specialize in American pop-culture merchandise. So if you want Adventure Time, Superman and My Little Pony merch, you can totally buy some.

inu-kun said:
Is it true japanese media is extremely antagonistic to otakus?
I think things have leveled out since the "Otaku Murderer" frenzy of the 90s. Otaku culture is pretty common now, a lot of my students have merchandise from anime like Kuroko no Basuke and Yowamushi Pedal (two of the girls in my glass have Nichijou bags, which pleases me greatly). There's even a girl in one of my classes who likes Kantai Collection, in particular this character:

What there is that a 15 year old girl would find appealing, I have no idea.

Of course, hardcore otaku (the hikikomori type) are still seen as creepy and a probable danger. I don't watch the news, so I can't really say if they do the same sort of thing Western media does with video games.

Caramel Frappe said:
Holy crap, this is a GOOD thread. Thanks so much for making it- i'm learning quite a lot from your previous responses to people's questions.
Hey, no problem! Glad you appreciate it!

Caramel Frappe said:
  • - What should you do / look into before going to Japan? (besides speaking Japanese obviously)
    - What are their laws there? I don't want to do something innocent that turns out criminal in Japan.
    - Do they accept USA currency and if so, how much should I bring for a vacation trip? (One month plan)
    - Are there any places I should visit specifically? Like the best tour attractions or exotic sights?
    - What animals / pets can you buy there (the ones that are legal to own in the USA also)
    - I heard it's a sex-less country. Is it hard to find any girls willing to date you? How is dating there in general?
    - What do you love about Japan so far?
1) Definitely study a bit of Japanese. Learn some basic phrases and a few common Kanji so you can at least distinguish which is "exit" and which is "entrance". Oh, and learning Katakana would be a good idea too, it's easy to learn and the words that use are usually loan words. So as an English speaker, this is a total cheat, since most of these loan words are English words. Also master your chopsticks, many small resturants will only have chopsticks available.

2) Pretty much the same as any country, I don't think you'd accidentally do something that turns out to be a criminal misdemeanor. This ain't Singapore after all. A culture faux pas on the other hand, that'll probably happen (i.e it's rude to talk on your phone on the train and walking while drinking the drink you got from the vending machine is seen as a bit classless)!

3) Ah Americans. Of course they don't accept American dollars over here! This is Japan, not America! What is a business expected to do with American dollars? You'll need get some notes with Japanese dudes on them instead of American ones. As to how much, it depends on what you plan to do. I found compared to Australia, Japan was quite cheap, but it might be the opposite for you coming from the US.

4) Kyoto and Nara (which is nearby) has the most history of any place in Japan. If you want lots of temples, these places are your bag. Nara also has an ass-load of deer, who will chase you around if they know you've got any deer senbei.You look like a bit of an otaku, so you should probably get your ass to Akihabara.

5) Lots! Cats, dogs, parrots, hamsters etc. I'm not sure about exotic animals like snakes and spiders though...

6) Sure, if you're not ugly and practice proper hygiene, you'll probably be able to find a girl to date. The problem is if you're only planing to visit. Since most Japanese girls believe you can't get married once you're past 26 years old, they don't want to be wasting their time with someone who won't be staying in the country and marry them.

7) For me, I love the safety, the friendly people and the great food. Oh, and the amazing internet and postal system, leagues above Australia!

Caramel Frappe said:
  • - How much anime is presented there? Is it popular all around or just in specific places?
There's a fair bit on TV, but you'll really only see mainstream stuff in prime-time. The fanservice shows are all broadcast in the dead hours of the morning. In terms of popularity, most people just like mainstream stuff like Ghibli or One Piece. If you go to Akihabara though, this is where you'll find the most anime fans (and a lot of magazines with anime titties on the cover).

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Is it true that Westerners are intentionally kept out of most occupations that aren't language related?

Do you detect any xenophobia or feelings that natives are uncomfortable around foreigners, Americans in particular?

Could it be viable to live in Japan as part of a study abroad program?

What are some of your experiences learning the language, and do you have any tips for us stateside (or any other English-speaking nations) who wish to learn Japanese?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I watched John Oliver's Last Week Tonight couple of months ago. Japan seems to have a lot of mascots.

I need a good laugh. What are some of the most hilarious mascots you have come across?

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
RedRockRun said:
Is it true that Westerners are intentionally kept out of most occupations that aren't language related?
I'm not sure myself, but teaching is by far the easiest job for foreigners to get into. You can get jobs elsewhere (I read about a non-Japanese dude who managed to land a job as an animator in a Tokyo studio) but I think many employers might be reluctant due to language barriers. Communication is important in Japanese workplaces, so unless you can prove it won't be a problem, they might pass over you. I don't think this is due to any intentional racism though.

RedRockRun said:
Do you detect any xenophobia or feelings that natives are uncomfortable around foreigners, Americans in particular?
None at all. People are plenty friendly and polite to me and they don't do anything like not want to sit near me on the train. I have heard that black Americans have a bit of a hard time though.

RedRockRun said:
Could it be viable to live in Japan as part of a study abroad program?
Sure, Japan does have study abroad programs. You will need pretty good mastery of the language though, a JTE told me about a girl who came to Japan on study aboard, only to realize she couldn't follow along in class.

RedRockRun said:
What are some of your experiences learning the language, and do you have any tips for us stateside (or any other English-speaking nations) who wish to learn Japanese?
The main challenge in learning Japanese is Kanji. Hiragana and Katakana are pretty easy to learn and use, but Kanji is a whole other kettle of fish. You just need to keep at it.

For learning Hiragana and Katakana the Dr. Moku phone apps are really good, you can learn them all in a few days using mnemonic learning . For Kanji, the best system I've found is the website WaniKani, which uses also uses mnemonics to teach you the meaning as well as the onyomi and kunyomi sounds.

mysecondlife said:
I watched John Oliver's Last Week Tonight couple of months ago. Japan seems to have a lot of mascots.

I need a good laugh. What are some of the most hilarious mascots you have come across?
Japan seriously has a mascot for everything. Even my garbage bags have a mascot printed on them, he's a bag of garbage with arms and legs. My local bank has a cat in a suit as their mascot, it reminds me of the business cat meme.

I can't recall any particularly hilarious mascots aside from, well the unintentionally funny mascot for Fukushima:

To be fair, the Fukushima disaster was less of a fuck-up and more of "record-setting earthquake (in a country famous for earthquakes) strikes Japan's oldest reactor which just so happens to be missing a safety feature that newer designs have". He'd be the perfect mascot for Chernobyl though, assuming there isn't already a mascot called "incompetenppy".

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Oooh I like this. I'm always curious as to how different faraway countries really are. And Japan does have a reputation in that regard. So...

As a litmus test of sorts, suppose a truly average person on a whim decides to pack their bags and move there. They're not particularly dumb nor a genius, neophile nor racist, wealthy nor poor. Just average. And let's assume they speak English but not Japanese. How well would that work out?

What, if anything, took the most to get over / get used to? Assuming you moved from Straya at an age old enough to remember the event of course. And vice versa: is there anything you've since discovered in your new country that you'd truly miss should you move again? Can be anything from a rare soda flavour to particularly favourable tax rates.

What is the religious landscape like in Japan? Which religions are dominant? If multiple, is it side-by-side or more of a regional thing? And how devout is the place overall?

With pre-emptive apologies for possibly being ninja'd, the thread seems to be moving rather quickly.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
FireAza said:
Japan likes the outside world, they think meeting a foreigner is exciting and they like lots of foreign movies and games. But they don't do much travel outside of Japan and there's very few foreigners in the country, so Japan does have a bit of an introverted personality. Though not near as bad as it was during the period of isolation from 1633 :p
A follow-up question to this one. What I heard is that indeed Japanese people generally like the foreign world and foreigners...when they visit. When they want to stay it's apparently another matter, and apparently outside of plans like JTE it's hard and whatnot. Yet at the same time, I also read in a news article that Japan is facing a problem with population upkeep and need to look into increasing immigration, but they don't really know how to yet.

So my question is, what's true of all that? Or rather, what have you heard about that in Japan itself and how is public opinion about the prospect of increasing immigration? Are there any plans in motion already?

Also, another question, what's Japan's cultural position towards mental illness? Is it a big taboo? Is it easy, for instance, for your students to seek help if they need to? I figure it is a bit of a problem there.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
bliebblob said:
As a litmus test of sorts, suppose a truly average person on a whim decides to pack their bags and move there. They're not particularly dumb nor a genius, neophile nor racist, wealthy nor poor. Just average. And let's assume they speak English but not Japanese. How well would that work out?
Not a lick of Japanese at all? Probably not very well in that case. English teaching without being able to speak any Japanese is all well and good, since you have Japanese support staff. But if you're not doing that, how are you suppose to find a job? What job could you apply for that don't need any Japanese?

bliebblob said:
What, if anything, took the most to get over / get used to? Assuming you moved from Straya at an age old enough to remember the event of course. And vice versa: is there anything you've since discovered in your new country that you'd truly miss should you move again? Can be anything from a rare soda flavour to particularly favourable tax rates.
I'd already lived in Japan when I did homestay in high school, so I sorta knew what to expect. Having said that, Japan is a cash-based society, which drives me nuts. In Australia, can you get everything with your debit card. Very few stores are like that in Japan, which means you need to carry cash, which is annoying because you're constantly needing to go to ATMs.

Despite how good the infrastructure is, Japanese website design is downright clunky and archaic. When you buy something on eBay, with a few clicks you can pay for the item with PayPal, which sends payment notification and your address to the seller. On Yahoo Auctions, when you win an auction you need to tell the seller your details (phone number, address, name, how you want to pay etc), then the seller will write back and tell you how much shipping is, you then make the payment (usually credit card or though your banking website, which is a very clunky process) then you tell the seller you paid, he verifies payment and THEN finally tells you when he ships the item.

The garbage system is also kind nightmareish. Certain types of garbage can only be put out on certain days, and you need to use a certain bag. It's so complex, even native Japanese get it wrong.

Oh, and Japanese prices often don't include tax. In Australia, tax is always included in the price. Either let me pay the cheaper tax-free price or just include it in price Japan! There's also a brand of chocolate I miss from Australia. Sure, I can buy imported little bars at the supermarket, but not the big blocks like back home. There also seems to be no Vanilla Coke, but there are a bazillion limited edition flavors of Fanta, so that kinda makes up for it.

If I moved back, there's a lot I'd miss. The safety, the friendly people, everything is cheap, the excellent internet and the postal system. In Australia, if you miss the postman, you have to go pick it up yourself, while in Japan you can contact the company who will redeliver for free. AND they work on weekends!

bliebblob said:
What is the religious landscape like in Japan? Which religions are dominant? If multiple, is it side-by-side or more of a regional thing? And how devout is the place overall?
Shinto and Buddhism are the two dominant religions in Japan, but the two seem to coexist. Some events are a Buddhist thing, some are a Shinto thing. Overall, most Japanese people seems to be non-religious. Sure, there's a lot of religious events that are popular, but it seems like people are attending like how non-Christians celebrate Christmas.

Cowabungaa said:
FireAza said:
Japan likes the outside world, they think meeting a foreigner is exciting and they like lots of foreign movies and games. But they don't do much travel outside of Japan and there's very few foreigners in the country, so Japan does have a bit of an introverted personality. Though not near as bad as it was during the period of isolation from 1633 :p
A follow-up question to this one. What I heard is that indeed Japanese people generally like the foreign world and foreigners...when they visit. When they want to stay it's apparently another matter, and apparently outside of plans like JTE it's hard and whatnot. Yet at the same time, I also read in a news article that Japan is facing a problem with population upkeep and need to look into increasing immigration, but they don't really know how to yet.

So my question is, what's true of all that? Or rather, what have you heard about that in Japan itself and how is public opinion about the prospect of increasing immigration? Are there any plans in motion already?
Hmmmm, I can't really comment on that. I haven't had to try looking for work outside of being an ALT, and I don't watch the news, so I'm not sure on the general feelings of the Japanese towards increasing immigration. Some of the older generation probably aren't huge fans though.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
What's your experience with language in general: have you learned any languages previously?

Also what is your impression of Japanese grammar in terms of difficulty?

I've heard that Japanese natives tend to view Westerners as a kind of novelty to the point that they are objectified. Have you encountered any of that: People talking down to/patronizing you, taking pictures of you, or demeaning you in that sense?

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
RedRockRun said:
What's your experience with language in general: have you learned any languages previously?
A bit of German in school, but I wouldn't say I'm some kind of savant.

RedRockRun said:
Also what is your impression of Japanese grammar in terms of difficulty?
Like I said before, the only really difficult part about Japanese is Kanji (which we can actually blame the Chinese for).

One thing that makes Japanese easy is there only about 1/3 of the total number of sounds that English has. Which means English speakers can easily approximate Japanese sounds correctly. Except for the "R" (ra, ri, ru, re, ro) sound which is actually a sound that's half-way between an L and an R, hence why Japanese people have trouble with L and R sounds. Speaking of which, this also means that when Japanese people learn English, they have to make sounds they've never made before. Including unvoiced consonants (V, S, T etc) which Japanese doesn't use at all!

Grammar is kinda tricky, it does take a bit of practice as the order is usually different from English. They also use "particles" which are single characters that are used like the English words "is", "are" "to" "of" etc. And in a lot of cases, the sound they make when used as a particle ISN'T the sound they normally make.

RedRockRun said:
I've heard that Japanese natives tend to view Westerners as a kind of novelty to the point that they are objectified. Have you encountered any of that: People talking down to/patronizing you, taking pictures of you, or demeaning you in that sense?
That's definitely the case! The patronizing I've experienced are the usual hollow complements of "your Japanese is good!" and "you're good at using chopsticks!" (I've been using them for over 10 years dammit!). This is pretty harmless though, it's really more them expressing their excitement that a foreigner is doing something that some Japanese people still believe can only be done by Japanese people because the ability to do so is genetic. I wish people in stores would talk down to me and stop using the more polite "keigo" Japanese because it would make understanding a lot easier!

Most Japanese people are too polite to do something like take your picture without your permission. Kids on the other hand are a different story, they will totally touch you without permission!

I did have one guy in Ginza ask to take a picture with me, but that's because I was wearing a Super Mario shirt at the time (he asked me to do a Mario jump, so I think he's a fan of the Mario games). Maybe if I looked really exotic, I'd have more people wanting to take photos. But alas, my most exotic trait is blue eyes, I have dark brown hair and I'm not super tall.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Are the used panties vendors a real thing?

If so: have you bought used panties from a vending machine? Or have you seen anyone buy them?

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
BarbaricGoose said:
Are the used panties vendors a real thing?

If so: have you bought used panties from a vending machine? Or have you seen anyone buy them?
No. I have seen photographic proof that there was at least one used panty vending machine that existed at some point in time. But it's likely this was a one-off thing in a shady red light district and someone was probably arrested over it.

If you're thinking that the vending machine down the street from my house sells something wackier than drinks, you're in for a disappointment. Although, one of the brands is called "Calpis", which sounds like "cow piss". That's kinda wacky.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
FireAza said:
Got any burning questions? Ask away!
I heard the older generations aren't fond of foreigners. Are most of the current generations just as bad?

How do you think they would react to someone being European white rather than American?

What's the drinking scene like over there? Do young people drink to get drunk or do they just go out to sober dance to pop music?

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Heard theres places you can hire a cute woman or man to just have a conversation with you. Like a social prostitute. Or even to lay on a bed with you and just cuddle...

Is that true and if so at all common?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Do they call japanese food just "food" there?

On a more serious and personal note.
How did you find the whole moving to another country and leaving it all behind and "starting over" thing?
I know this is very personal and you can only answer for yourself, and everyone elses experience is different from yours. But a short answer would be nice :D
For example, what were the most difficult things, what was easy from the getgo?

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
verdant monkai said:
I heard the older generations aren't fond of foreigners. Are most of the current generations just as bad?
While I'm sure some of the older generation might not like foreigners, most of them have no problems with us. I actually taught an English class last year that was JUST for retirees. Most of the younger generation are big fans of Western pop-culture, so the only ones who would have issues with foreigners are crazy right-wing nutjobs.

verdant monkai said:
How do you think they would react to someone being European white rather than American?
Japan is probably one of the few places left in the world where the people aren't overly hostile towards Americans, so I would say you would get treated the same either way. Assuming they can even tell the difference, you'd probably just simply be referred to by the generic "gaikokujin" ("person from an overseas country") which is actually a polite terms, despite what it may seem.

What you need to remember is Japan doesn't harbor any ill feelings about World War II. Life in imperial Japan wasn't sunshine and puppies and the fall of the empire put an end to this. And thanks to the reconstruction efforts by the allies after the war, Japan was able to become an economic super-power. If anything, I'd say it's the Americans who are still bitter about the war, judging by all the Pearl Harbor references by Americans on Facebook whenever something like a natural disaster or loss in a sporting match happens to Japan.

verdant monkai said:
What's the drinking scene like over there? Do young people drink to get drunk or do they just go out to sober dance to pop music?
It's very different. Sure, there's clubs and bars, but it's not like in Western countries where people intentionally get blind-drunk then wander around late at night picking fights and smashing shop fronts. Even when drunk, that sort of behavior is NOT tolerated by Japanese society. Instead, we get drunk salarymen falling asleep on your shoulder on the train.

Drinking is still an important part of Japanese culture though, a common event in a business is for all the staff to go out for drinks for a special event. You are EXPECTED to attend and you are EXPECTED to accept all drinks offered to you.

Fieldy409 said:
Heard theres places you can hire a cute woman or man to just have a conversation with you. Like a social prostitute. Or even to lay on a bed with you and just cuddle...

Is that true and if so at all common?
Yep, they're called "hosts" and "hostesses". I know their main job is to talk and drink with you, but I think wanting one to lay in bed next to you might be outside their job description. I think host/hostess bars are reasonably common, there's two buildings in town that look like hostess clubs to me.

Guffe said:
Do they call japanese food just "food" there?
Specifically Japanese cuisine is called "washouku" (和食), but normally it's just called "tabemono" (食べ物) literally "edible thing".

Guffe said:
On a more serious and personal note.
How did you find the whole moving to another country and leaving it all behind and "starting over" thing?
I know this is very personal and you can only answer for yourself, and everyone elses experience is different from yours. But a short answer would be nice :D
For example, what were the most difficult things, what was easy from the getgo?
No problem personally. I'd always wanted to live in Japan and I was fresh out of university, so it's not like I had a house with a family and a white picket fence or anything. This is actually an upgrade! I have a whole house now!

Most difficult was my lack of Japanese speaking ability. It would not only be handy to understand the people I interact with in shops better, but I'd feel more confident making Japanese friends. Overall, I found getting setup and going not too difficult. Save for not knowing where to buy the things I needed, but then I got Amazon.jp setup and it was all good from there!

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
FireAza said:
Including unvoiced consonants (V, S, T etc) which Japanese doesn't use at all!
Just wanted to point out that V is voiced (+labiodental +fricative)

OT:
1) So are women who are older than 26 more relaxed about relationships?
2) I've often heard that while Japanese people might be friendly and welcoming on the outside, it's difficult to really connect to someone, maybe because of the uchi/soto mentality. Is there any truth to that?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I heard there was a lack of seating in Tokyo's public places? Is this at all true?

I don't know where you hail from originally, but is there anything you miss about that place? Also, is there anything you have trouble getting from that place whilst in Japan?

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Would you say you are fluent?

How long did it take you to reach the point you are currently at in your understanding of Japanese?

Also, pretty much everyone says that, regardless of language, immersion is a necessity. Did you language skills skyrocket after starting to live in Japan?

Finally, what formal education have you had for Japanese?

You're very helpful by the way, and I'm enjoying asking you questions :D

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
freaper said:
FireAza said:
Including unvoiced consonants (V, S, T etc) which Japanese doesn't use at all!
Just wanted to point out that V is voiced (+labiodental +fricative)
Curse you English language! You unwieldy complex behemoth!

freaper said:
OT:
1) So are women who are older than 26 more relaxed about relationships?
2) I've often heard that while Japanese people might be friendly and welcoming on the outside, it's difficult to really connect to someone, maybe because of the uchi/soto mentality. Is there any truth to that?
1) Possibly, but they honestly think that a relationship won't be possible once they're past 26.
2) I'd say you're probably right in some ways. But I can't really confirm, since I haven't been able to make an non-English-speaking Japanese friends due to my basic Japanese speaking ability.

maninahat said:
I heard there was a lack of seating in Tokyo's public places? Is this at all true?
Like, where? Outside? There's not really much in the way of outdoor public seating at all in Tokyo, save for a few parks.

maninahat said:
I don't know where you hail from originally, but is there anything you miss about that place? Also, is there anything you have trouble getting from that place whilst in Japan?
Someone already asked me the same question on the previous page ;)

RedRockRun said:
Would you say you are fluent?

How long did it take you to reach the point you are currently at in your understanding of Japanese?

Also, pretty much everyone says that, regardless of language, immersion is a necessity. Did you language skills skyrocket after starting to live in Japan?
I'm far from fluent! I can read pretty okay provided there's no kanji I don't know (or if there is, that there's a furigana translation) and I can understand casual spoken Japanese not too bad.

I started studying written Japanese about 2 and a half years ago. To be honest, a lot of my listening ability comes from watching a lot of anime back in high school and university. As much as people say you can't learn real Japanese from anime, it's not completely worthless!

Well, considering I didn't really have much speaking ability before I came, ANYTHING is an improvement! But yeah, before I came I didn't know how to ask for things in a store and I certainly wouldn't be able to visit a doctor or my sort out a problem with my bank. I can do all that now, so I'd say immersion is key!

I don't get much chance to practice speaking, so my speaking is pretty poor. I get by though listening and putting together a basic response.

RedRockRun said:
Finally, what formal education have you had for Japanese?
Only half a year of Japanese at university and a little bit in high school.

RedRockRun said:
You're very helpful by the way, and I'm enjoying asking you questions :D
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Damn you, you're making me want to go back :p

How did you find out about the JET program? was it easy to apply for? any special requirements?