I need a bad ass hobby.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
newguy77 said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Hold up! We save the ball chopping for people who want to talk about project mayhem. Fight club is fight club, while the first two rules are don't talk about it we don't actually do anything if someone does. It is hard to build a secret organization bent anarchy and destruction of the "man" if no one talks about it.

If you came to the meeting more often you would know this shit, jeesh
I thought rule one of Project Mayhem was don't ask questions about Project Mayhem. Maybe I need to read it again or watch the movie.
Your right. I suppose I should have been more specific they only started to chop balls off when started to try and stop Project Mayhem. If I remember correctly first was the mayor (or commissioner). Then again when the Narrator (Edward Norton in the movie) went to the police about it. Anyways ball chopping in definitely reserved for matters directly related to Project Mayhem.

----------------on topic-----------------

Also, know what is definitely not a Badass hobby? Participating in nerd banter on the internet. On the other hand it can be done in class. Correlation?

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
tobuji said:
watch my little pony: friendship is magic. it doesn't get more bad ass than that.
I agree with this pony we will always welcome another brony!

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Badass? Shark Collecting. Live Shark Collecting.

Realistically: Origami. That's always fun, and doable in class.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
sketch_zeppelin said:
Two words...Fight Club
I knew someone was going to make that reference...

OT: Well, I have a badass hobby, plus one I plan to start in several years once I'm financially set up and all that jazz.

The one I have started is the collection of, training with, and maintaining of various weapons. When I move to America, this will include guns. (Besides my double barrel good old english shot gun) and the one I plan to take up is the raising of wolves. I would not recommend the second one, as it goes beyond hobbyism, and I doubt you have the necessary experience. Neither are doable in class.

I get the feeling you want one to do in class so you can show off a bit?

I also collect hats. Ain't nothing more bad ass than walking into campus with a fez.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Ghost hunting. Get to hang out with interesting men and women late at night.. in the dark. Often alone. With video cameras.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Shark taming.

edit: Hold on, a badass hobby... you can do IN CLASS?
Er, does not compute. Sorry.

You could try paying attention to the lessons and so not make an unholy fuckup of the rest of your life, ending up unable to afford even quite wimpy hobbies, then practice hardcore stuff on the weekend? I'm led to believe learning how to shred on the electric guitar is quite popular, particularly as it shows you're able to commit serious amounts of time in a grown up adult manner. Unless you're some kind of savant, you can't just randomly pick up an axe and have a throwdown with Slash et al. You're going to hafta bleed and chafe a little first.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Cheshire the Cat said:

Parkour. If you live long enough to get good then it looks awesome.
Sorry to break it to you, but that's not parkour. Parkour was invented by the French military as a way to navigate random terrain efficiently. It's got fuck all to do with pointless flips for no apparent reason.

However impressive the feats these people do, its always dragged down by their pointless flips and twirls.
Oh? My understanding that Parkour was moving efficiently as you said (Which they do), and there is the spin off "Freerunning" which refers to using random terrain for gymnastic feats. In this case, since they clearly get from point A to point B, doesn't it seem that they just got a little Freerunning in their Parkour?

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
^ I coulda sworn Freerunning = Parkour? It's just a different colloquialism for it, in a different language?

As for moving efficiently... yep. It's pretty much offroad assault course ballet. How to get through a rocky jungle quickly without getting too tired or injured 101.

The urban, non combative type is slightly less dangerous and certainly your survival doesn't hinge on absolute speed of travel, instead you're already really just showing off and alleviating the boredom of life in a run-down slum quarter of a french city no-one cares about, so why not chuck a few tricks in there at points where they'll fit? And if you're facing a serious drop onto a slope, being in the middle of a somersault could be beneficial as you'll land better.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Or you could learn to draw. Like, really good. Sketch in the margins whilst you're taking class notes. You can do your next GF a pretty painting of the two of you together for her birthday. Or something.

Maybe not badass in the traditional sense, but it'll get you a lot of boyfriend points, and if you get good at it and find a creative spark, a reasonable cabal of fans.

Just, please, don't make another webcomic. At least not straight away. It's not that I assume you'd make a sucky one, but the market's pretty freakin' saturated. Far more so than the normal market. I'm a heavy reader (maybe 15+ on a regular basis?) and the ones I follow are reasonably evenly spread across most top-100/200 polls.
You'll just get depressed at how no-one likes it, unless you manage to pull off that 1-in-100 (or worse) gamble and actually get popular enough that people ***** when you skip an update and the ad revenues even cover your hosting bill. And the early attempts at it will suck. Badly. Unless you practice your art a great deal doing other things first. Again, not a dig at you, it's just truth. Just for four examples compare the early days of El Goonish Shive, Questionable Content, Roomies and Penny Arcade vs their latest updates (or Shortpacked/Dumbing of Age in the case of Roomies). Whereas others like Sandra and Woo, Housepets, Elf Life, Roza the Cursed Mage start strong and continue the same way because their artists were doing other things before moving into comic strips. Not to mention the inevitable cerberus effect and writers block hiatuses because you've jumped in without a clear plan of the story you're writing.