I need an example of a badly written antagonist...

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
That's a tall order.

You're unlikely to ever find a villain who truly does things for no reason. Writing something like that wouldn't be bad writing so much as absurd writing. At the very least, a villain wants to do something simply because they can. And I think it's pretty unreasonable to assume that villains aren't justified if they don't have some succinct, identifiable justification in their history. Look at the Joker from The Dark Knight if you want a great character with an explicit lack of clear motivation.

The problem here is that "antagonist" is nothing but a descriptor for someone opposing a protagonist/protagonists. They might be one-dimensional (this is not necessarily always a bad thing) or lack clear motivation, but the only way they could be a "bad" antagonist would be not to be one at all. And even then, that can be interesting in itself, creating antiheroes and failed villains.

What your search eventually becomes is one for characters who are written badly and happen to be cast as antagonists, and it's virtually impossible to give any hard and fast rules on what makes bad writing. Just about anything you think usually leads to bad writing can be (and, in almost every case, has been) written brilliantly by more capable hands.

TL;DR: Your search is doomed. The only way for an antagonist to be written badly, aside from just being a badly written character who happens to be an antagonist, is for them not to actually be an antagonist.

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
Read about Lucien from Fable 2. Here's a link to part 1 of Shamus Young's deconstruction of the plot.
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2105

that should give you more than enough ammo for your paper/soapbox

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
Martin from Secret Of Nimh 2, just a mouse who just suddenly becomes a mad scientist (particularly from the dr insano school :p)

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
JdaS said:
Harry Mason said:
Again, there's petty revenge, and then there's psychotic mass murder. There's a difference between "fuck those guys! I hate them!" and eating old ladies. And as far as I could tell from the plot, the personality of the Prototype was based off of Alex Mercer, not the creator of the Blacklight virus. Why else would he run around going "WHAT AM I!? WHAT'S GOING ON!" the entire game.

Also, that REALLY needed a spoiler tag...
Okay. I've played Prototype WAY too many times. Allow me to weigh in.

When you take control of that slab of meat on the morgue table you are NOT Alex Mercer. You are the Blacklight virus that took over Mercer's body when he smashed that vial and got gunned down. For some reason the virus "thinks" that it is Mercer and for the first 60-70%(?) of the game you're indeed running around crying about your memory loss. That is until the virus finds out that it's only that, a virus.

The real Alex Mercer was already a douche nozzle before Blacklight, as mentioned by DarkRyter (a guy releases a deadly virus and dooms NYC for petty revenge and cowardice???), if he got those powers and wanted revenge he sure as hell wouldn't care who he kills on the way, the virus itself? It's a virus. Its sole purpose is to create death and destruction, so much so that in Prototype 2 it creates a foil apparently just for kicks.

This is by no means srsbznz to me. Just saying that Prototype had a good story. There were poorly written characters in there. ZEUS just isn't one of them.
First off, I tip my hat to you for your dissemination of a plot that I admittedly had difficulty understanding. I still don't think there's any depth to Mercer (or the virus that thinks it's Mercer) as a villain. I just don't see "petty revenge and cowardice" translating to readily murdering hundreds of thousands of innocents. If the virus, while it thought it was Mercer, had at least hesitated at first, before becoming accustomed to and eventually loving the juicy act of murder, I might have found it less ridiculous.

Mar451

Nov 25, 2009
The Volturi, no Twilight bashing here, they are just flat one dimensional big bads that serve no purpose than to act as villains, cause fuck, someone has to right?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Harry Mason said:
JdaS said:
Harry Mason said:
Again, there's petty revenge, and then there's psychotic mass murder. There's a difference between "fuck those guys! I hate them!" and eating old ladies. And as far as I could tell from the plot, the personality of the Prototype was based off of Alex Mercer, not the creator of the Blacklight virus. Why else would he run around going "WHAT AM I!? WHAT'S GOING ON!" the entire game.

Also, that REALLY needed a spoiler tag...
Okay. I've played Prototype WAY too many times. Allow me to weigh in.

When you take control of that slab of meat on the morgue table you are NOT Alex Mercer. You are the Blacklight virus that took over Mercer's body when he smashed that vial and got gunned down. For some reason the virus "thinks" that it is Mercer and for the first 60-70%(?) of the game you're indeed running around crying about your memory loss. That is until the virus finds out that it's only that, a virus.

The real Alex Mercer was already a douche nozzle before Blacklight, as mentioned by DarkRyter (a guy releases a deadly virus and dooms NYC for petty revenge and cowardice???), if he got those powers and wanted revenge he sure as hell wouldn't care who he kills on the way, the virus itself? It's a virus. Its sole purpose is to create death and destruction, so much so that in Prototype 2 it creates a foil apparently just for kicks.

This is by no means srsbznz to me. Just saying that Prototype had a good story. There were poorly written characters in there. ZEUS just isn't one of them.
First off, I tip my hat to you for your dissemination of a plot that I admittedly had difficulty understanding. I still don't think there's any depth to Mercer (or the virus that thinks it's Mercer) as a villain. I just don't see "petty revenge and cowardice" translating to readily murdering hundreds of thousands of innocents. If the virus, while it thought it was Mercer, had at least hesitated at first, before becoming accustomed to and eventually loving the juicy act of murder, I might have found it less ridiculous.
If I remember right, killing innocent people isn't really part of the game, you fight against infected people and the military, while absorbing people who have information regarding who and what you are

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
General Shepherd from Modern Warfare 2, though his "motivation" could easily be classified as going kookoo. He is the entire reason that WW3 is currently ongoing in fictional parallel universe #79,280,361. Were it not for him sending a CIA operative to work for a terrorists psycho boss, there would be no convenient corpse for the Ruskies to hold up as justification to go into warhawk massacre mode and invade the entire world with a military that I can only assume to have been supplied by a wizard, given the enormous commitment of supplies that invading the ENTIRE WORLD would cost.

Addition:
artanis_neravar said:
The Wykydtron said:
Ummm that General guy from MW2

He betrays you and goes kill crazy with some private army he pulled out of his ass for no reason whatsoever. Maybe i need to replay it but i don't think it was ever properly explained. He just went into some semantics over the nature of war to cover up the fact that the writers couldn't think of an actual reason for his actions

Was still pretty entertaining, a "so bad it's good" type thing.
Maybe it's been said, but he went crazy after the nuke went off in the first game killing tens of thousands of his troops. When he saw that the world wasn't going to do anything about it he decided to take control and do something himself
But wasn't the man responsible (Zakhaev) for that already dead? Sure Makarov was out there, but I have no idea what he specifically did in relation to that incident. All I knew going in was that he was a weapons dealer and such, though I guess I could fill in the dots from there. But if his neutralization was so important, and Shepherd was able to put one of his operatives that close, why didn't I get the option to just shoot him and then make a standard Micheal Bay escape from his cronies?

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
Sorry if it's already been posted but some of the guys in here might be worth a look at.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForTheEvulz

That's the trope for villains who're villains for fun of it. They usually aren't considered examples of good character design (note the usually).

mikeysnakes

Apr 22, 2010
Arehexes said:
eggmiester said:
Buchholz101 said:
Sephiroth.

And cue Flame War.
not really dude. what always interested me about sephiroth was the fact that he WAS a good guy- and then he found out about his mam and went nuts.he's interesting because he's a dude who is practically unstoppable physically, but so fragile mentally.he's a well written villian because it actually seems like its impossible to beat him.he's a good villian because EVERY SINGLE TIME he appeared, i thought to myself OH SHIT.

maybe not the most original villian- but a good one nevertheless.
He was well written? How? Just because he was powerful and well respected and went crazy because he found out he was a experiment? If that is the case what about Kefka? He had more or less the same back story (Great rise to the top but went crazy due to a crazy experiment to power up the soldiers, which caused a mental break down which lead said person to destroy the world). Well I agree sephi isn't "bad" he is still a poorly done, I mean there isn't a really good written villain from the Final Fantasy games. Garland wants to live forever, Empoirer wanted power, CoD wanted to return the world to the darkness/Xian wanted revenge for getting the gift of mortal from master Noah, Zeromas wanted to wipe human life on earth for his people on the moon, Exdeath wants to return the world to the void, Kefka wants to destroy happiness and hope from peoples, Sephiroth wants to destroy the world for his "mother", Ultimicia wants to compress time to live for ever (I think I really don't remember), and I don't remember the rest. The FF villains aren't written well at all.
I agree Kefka's motive were shitty (which is why I'd agree with Sephiroth's motives also being shitty) but I at least found Kefka interesting because of his silly demeanor which gave a bit more depth than the angst they basically poured into Sephiroth.

I agree with whoever said Darth Vader too, and I feel like most antagonists in an Epic set up are more or less cardboard cutouts. However I feel like what's done with all of the surrounding characters makes all of the difference.

Besides any of that, the worst antagonists I can think of are aliens. Not just aliens from the movie Aliens, but just aliens from anything, it's seriously ridiculous how many stories (good or bad even) rely on aliens being evil.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Orcus The Ultimate said:
the worst badly written antagonist i've seen until now should be

Syndrome !
Well I can see his motivation, it's to prove a
CupboardNinja said:
Voldemort from Harry Potter. He's just evil... cause he's evil.
I thought he was more Hitler-ish wanting pure wizards and no mud-bloods.

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
mornal said:
Sorry if it's already been posted but some of the guys in here might be worth a look at.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForTheEvulz

That's the trope for villains who're villains for fun of it. They usually aren't considered examples of good character design (note the usually).
You bastard, now I'll be stuck there for hours!

By the way, thanks to JdaS for that concise summary of the plot, and I still think Lucien is the most one-dimensional villain ever for reasons linked to in my earlier post.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Pandabearparade said:
Blatherscythe said:
Eden wanted to "purify" the wasteland by wiping out all semi-mutated life
The problem is that a super computer should be familiar with why that's a really bad idea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck

A species typically doesn't recover from a population dip like the one he proposes, and would spell certain extinction for the entire human race. A poorly reasoned motive.

Autumn wanted to do the same and also wanted to see the Enclave become the power it was prior to the Oil Rig being nuked.
Actually, you're wrong. Autumn refused. If he'd agreed, Eden wouldn't have had a ridiculously contrived plot-device to give the protagonist. Autumn -could- have been an excellent villain (or even an anti-hero that I'd have sided with, given the option) with some real development. He wanted to rally the people of the wasteland into accepting the Enclave as an autocratic state by having an endless supply of something very valuable to offer them in return for obedience.
I fault Autumn for wasted potential and that stupid magical anti-rad shot he gave himself, not motivation.

Could have done much better for Burke.
Agreed. He had an -excellent- voice actor, all he needed was motivations that were more than '...cause I'm so evil!'.
For the record if you hate Fallout 3 due to having played the first 2 than the part where Eden wants to purify the wasteland came from Fallout 2 when the Enclave had an airbourne version of it. Besides the Enclave has no problem with murdering almost everyone but themselves, they're fanatical and believe they have a right to enherit the world.

Also, you are correct with Autumn, I forgot what his motivation was for a bit ther, thanks for jogging my memory. I'll agree to the fact that he needed fleshing out. The only motivation the character has for killing him is he drove your dad to kill himself, captured and planned to torture you and wants to use the purifier not for anihilation, but a bargening chip for total obediance. Actually that's pretty much enough for a good/neutral character to kill him, the evil character will either kill him due to being a psychopath or join him and become his right hand or something. Although that option would be a stretch considering your character isn't pure humans which to the Enclave means you must be destroyed.

Maybe if the torture scene was longer, enough for him to state his goals, ambitions and reasons for doing so we could have had a better villain other than a would-be-dictator. Although that stupid magic anti-rad shot works, hell it seems anything to do with radiation in Fallout calls for some suspension of disbelief, Fallout 3 didn't start it, Fallout 1 did.

Although I still believe the fact that we know next to nothing about Burke besides the fact that he's shady and menacing is intentional.

But hey, Fallout 3 major villains are all better than Frank "kills shit for giggles" Horrigan. Being a psychopath isn't a personality, it's a trait, but it's pretty much his only trait outside of fanatical loyalty.

One more thing, the GECK, FEV and most other magicly contrived plot devices were in Fallout 1/2 and had the same functions, if you hate them blame the first two games.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
That bad guy from the latest Star Trek movie. He was just completely shallow, inconsistent and in no way interesting.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Dr. Robotnik/Eggman.

He goes around turning animals into robots in order to build this huge empire. Why does he want this empire and why does he need to turn animals into robots when he could probably just as capably build regular ones? To this day we have no idea. He also seems to desire the Chaos Emeralds for their power, but again we are left with no idea as to why. We just know that he wants them and that he HATES that hedgehog! The games are great fun (at least up to Adventure 2) but plotline and characterization leave a lot to be desired.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
triggrhappy94 said:
I need to write a soapbox speech (***** about stuff) for an english class, and I chose to write about how a lot of vilians in popular books and movies don't have (good) motives.
Well then you should already know alot if it's so common. .-.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Unless I missed it... I can't believe no one mentioned this guy, even after a Barry Pepper name-drop. I'll give you a hint.

While you were still learning how to spell your name, he was being trained to conquer galaxies!

Terl, from Battlefield Earth.

Alternately... pretty much any Bond villain. They've all been pretty poorly written. Especially Blofeld, who has already been mentioned in this topic a few times. My personal least favorite though is Elliot Carver from Tomorrow Never Dies. Y'know... the dude who wanted to start a war with China so he could sell more newspapers... or something...

I get that Carver was supposed to be kind of like Hans Gruber from Die Hard in terms of motivation and plan execution... but Hans, in my opinion, was better characterized. I felt that by the end of the film I knew far more about Hans than I knew about Elliot at the end of Tomorrow Never Dies.