I need help with literature for an 11 year old

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
My little brother has recently started to get into ancient mythology and sci-fi and I'm ecstatic about this but I don't know about any good non cheesy sci-fi that'd be good for an eleven year old to read.So far I've given him the William King Space Wolves omnibuses' but I'd like to also give him some good mythology books and other sci-fi stuff.Any suggestion are welcomed please and thank.

soulman999

Dec 6, 2010
Any warhammer books from Dan abnet will do :)
Gotta love Space Marines...

Edit: Especially the Ultramarines Omnibus :D

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
You could give him the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy. That was a fairly entertaining book.

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
soulman999 said:

I'd say Dan Abnett to as I own them all but I think they might be a bit above him at the moment.
Also the Ultrasmurfs Obus is Graham Mcneil.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Depends, how close does the Mythology have to be and what version of Mythology (Greek, Egyptian, Chinese, etc etc.)

If its Greek, then I could suggest the Percy Jackson novels. They weren't all that bad when I read them (Granted that was 4-6 years ago, before I realized that most of the Olympic Pantheon was made up of pervy gods and jealous goddesses.)

Other then that, I'm not a big reader of Sci-Fi myself so I'm really of no use there.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I remember reading lot's of the Star Wars books at that age, namely The Young Jedi Knights series. They were pretty good. No medichlorian bullshit.

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
Depends, how close does the Mythology have to be and what version of Mythology (Greek, Egyptian, Chinese, etc etc.)

If its Greek, then I could suggest the Percy Jackson novels. They weren't all that bad when I read them (Granted that was 4-6 years ago, before I realized that most of the Olympic Pantheon was made up of pervy gods and jealous goddesses.)

Other then that, I'm not a big reader of Sci-Fi myself so I'm really of no use there.
Basically all mythology he's reading any of it he can find.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
The Star Wars EU is a good choice. Not particularly difficult reads, but interesting enough if he likes the setting. I was eating them up when I was 11.

If he is a pretty good reader, Alexander Dumas' novels, particularly The Three Musketeers. Fantastic stories, plenty of adventure and action and funny to boot.

soulman999

Dec 6, 2010
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
soulman999 said:

I'd say Dan Abnett to as I own them all but I think they might be a bit above him at the moment.
Ye sorry, I could swear dan Abnett is writing Warhammer too o_O Anyways...yea, i think it´s ok for a 11yr old. If u give him Spacewolfs...than yea. They are marines too, and seriously as violent as well ^^

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
soulman999 said:
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
soulman999 said:

Ye sorry, I could swear dan Abnett is writing Warhammer too o_O Anyways...yea, i think it´s ok for a 11yr old. If u give him Spacewolfs...than yea. They are marines too, and seriously as violent as well ^^
It's not the violence it's mostly the writing level,I don't want him overly confused by to much as I'm sure Dan and Grahams work would.

Grimsinger

Apr 9, 2008
I read The Hobbit, and all thee Lord of the Rings. Or geo-science type books. Giving my reading selection, I'm sure my parents never guessed I'd end up studying cartooning.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
maddawg IAJI said:

Basically all mythology he's reading any of it he can find.
Then ya, the Percy Jackson novels basically borrow from that. Heck, the Author ended up coming up with the series based on bed time stories he would make up for his own kid (Who was probably a little younger then 11.)

The Chronicles of Narnia are also pretty decent books. Its more fantasy really, but they use a lot of mythological creatures such as Centaurs, Minotaurs and Cyclopes and a few other creatures.

That said, a good book that features a collection of Greek/Roman myths may also work. I use to love Mythology when I was younger as well and just learning of all the different heroes and gods really builds on that.

Thee Prisoner

Apr 28, 2010
Robert Heinlein wrote a series of different books for kids. One of my favorites is "Tunnel in the Sky" Also check out Asimov and other older Sci-Fi books. They aren't too racy or violent.
Then again I read "Brave New World" at 10 and it had a big impact on me.

thequixoticman

Nov 13, 2007
When I was 11 I read through the first five Amber books, great high fantasy series by Roger Zelazny. First book is called Nine Princes in Amber. Also, Wrinkle in Time should be read by every kid, maybe look into Piers Anthony's "Xanth" series. Some of that stuff might be a bit difficult reading for an 11 year old, but I don't know. I got my 11 year old cousin the first Hitchhiker's book because I remember loving that book in fifth grade, but the family looked at me as though I was insane for getting that book for him. I remember my brother loved Anne McCaffrey's "Pern" series. I generally figure sci-fi fans will also have a taste for fantasy, and fantasy tends to be a bit less of a slog because they don't feel the need to try and justify all the bullshit they're doing, they just do it.

I read some Star Wars EU stuff (specifically the Jedi Academy trilogy), but in a lot of ways you'd do your brother more good to give him something new, rather than just reinforce stuff he already knows he likes. He'll find that stuff on his own. Your job is to show him stuff he generally wouldn't see. The Amber books are really good, they can be a little tough, but they've got some great alternative world stuff going through them and are, in my opinion at least, good for both adults and kids.

Sarynroth

Oct 8, 2010
The Drenai series by David Gemmel. They are well written and not particularly hard to read. Other than that definately Redwall, I remember pretty much going to every libary in my area to read all of them and I still enjoy them now.

Edit: also the edge chronicles, amazing illustrations and stories.