I need help with literature for an 11 year old

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
My little brother has recently started to get into ancient mythology and sci-fi and I'm ecstatic about this but I don't know about any good non cheesy sci-fi that'd be good for an eleven year old to read.So far I've given him the William King Space Wolves omnibuses' but I'd like to also give him some good mythology books and other sci-fi stuff.Any suggestion are welcomed please and thank.
I quite like SkullDuggery Pleasant. He should be mature enough to read that, surely.
-Tabs-

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Ancient mythology? Go for the real things, penguin classic books on specific mythologies (Greek, Norse, etc.) are often good. As for sci-fi, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a good start, Dune whenever he really gets going with it, I can also highly recommend Jon Carter of Mars.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
soulman999 said:
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
soulman999 said:
Any warhammer books from Dan abnet will do :)
Gotta love Space Marines...

Edit: Especially the Ultramarines Omnibus :D
I'd say Dan Abnett to as I own them all but I think they might be a bit above him at the moment.
Also the Ultrasmurfs Obus is Graham Mcneil.
Ye sorry, I could swear dan Abnett is writing Warhammer too o_O Anyways...yea, i think it´s ok for a 11yr old. If u give him Spacewolfs...than yea. They are marines too, and seriously as violent as well ^^
It's not the violence it's mostly the writing level,I don't want him overly confused by to much as I'm sure Dan and Grahams work would.
the level can get a bit high at times, but he should be able to under stand them from the tone and other stuff. it you're not worried about content, then go with 15 hours and the Eisenhorn trilogy
jigaboon said:
A Wrinkle in Time...The Hobbit. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (i started reading it at about 10) Hitchhikers Guide...OH OH, R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt series(s). They're easy reading, action packed, and have 0 sexual content...I would say they're probably one of the best for a young fantasy enthusiast.
actually, the dark elf triogy has some mild sexual content in the beginning (it doesn't glorify it, though)

(to general public) also, instead of Percy Jackson, go with the Secrets of Nicholas Flamel, they take the PJ formula, and simply make it bigger and better

Paulie92

Mar 6, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Dragonlance is maybe a good fiction idea perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

As far as nonfiction for an 11 year old, I'm not too sure : (
Dragonlance definitely a good choice. Perhaps Robin Hobb (Author, recommend starting with Assassins Apprentice)? Though that may be a little heavy for an 11 year old it really depends on his maturity/reading skill, worth looking into though

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I'm going to second both the Star Wars EU -- starting with the Thrawn trilogy -- and The Wheel Of Time series. I read The Eye of the World back in the third grade, and I'm still reading the series today, in my junior year of college. As for the Star Wars books, I spontaneously decided that I had outgrown them some time in middle school, and I've been kicking myself for trading those books in ever since. A couple of years ago, I got some of the books from the the local library during the summer, and they were just as much fun as they were when I was a kid, although it was more obvious to me that the series was very much hit and miss. In addition to the Star Wars and Wheel of Time books, go down to your local used book store, look in the scifi/fantasy section, and get some of the pulp novels they printed and/or reprinted in the 70's. They're still quite common, are very easy reads, and usually cost less than $2 a piece. When I was a kid, I read them all the time, and I still go and buy a few at the start of every summer, for some easy but fun reading.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
If its Greek, then I could suggest the Percy Jackson novels. They weren't all that bad when I read them (Granted that was 4-6 years ago, before I realized that most of the Olympic Pantheon was made up of pervy gods and jealous goddesses.)
I read them after I'd become pretty familiar with greek mythology (and all that it entails) and I still loved them. It was fun seeing how the author modernized and retold the myths. I'd definitely recommend them.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
Smack him upside the head and give him a football, this is obviously an early sign of nerd disease. Better squashed at a young age.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Yeah, my brother has never been a big reader, even now in his teenage years he only reads the odd non-fictional work.

Hell, when I was eleven I was reading Douglas Adams and 'The curious incident of the dog in the night-time', but I suppose that sort of thing tends to go over most 11 year old's heads'

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
VivaciousDeimos said:
maddawg IAJI said:
If its Greek, then I could suggest the Percy Jackson novels. They weren't all that bad when I read them (Granted that was 4-6 years ago, before I realized that most of the Olympic Pantheon was made up of pervy gods and jealous goddesses.)
I read them after I'd become pretty familiar with greek mythology (and all that it entails) and I still loved them. It was fun seeing how the author modernized and retold the myths. I'd definitely recommend them.
Eh, I just nit-picked at it a bit based on some very minor things. Probably too minor to really go into detail. It is a nice read and I would recommend the books. Shame the movie wasn't nearly as good.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Obviously the Doom novels, the most amazingly written books ever with such a sense making plot twist. I was shocked with a bout of surprised ecstacy when I learned that the demons weren't actually demons: they were genetically engineered monsters made by a group of chickens with artichoke heads that are all named "Fred" and started a war. Not just any war, but the most meaningful war of all time: A war... About BOOKS. Somewhere in the middle of this war, they decided "Humans can be killed, so we must blow them up!" and so they did. And the best part: this was all revealed to the protagonists by a pair of space gorillas. Obviously the best series ever.
/sarcasm
But seriously, look it up. THIS ALL ACTUALLY HAPPENS. Now one of my worst books ever read.

OT: Hitchhiker's Guide seems like a good idea. It was pretty good.
Percy Jackson also seems acceptable.
I would reccomend the works of Lovecraft, as it's excellent science fiction, but Lovecraft is a bit wordy at times, too much for an 11 year old.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
The Asimov robot collection. Its pretty damn good, but at the same time since it's broken into short stories it appeals to young people's short attention span (like i had, though its a moot point since i still have a really short attention span. Your young lad might have a much better drive for reading than i did).

Or get him into popular science, a lot of the recent popular science books by the quantum physicists are much cooler than sci-fi.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Disregard his age and just get him those sci-fi novels which are (even today) considered to be classics.

If he's able to read, he's able to read.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
jigaboon said:
A Wrinkle in Time...The Hobbit. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (i started reading it at about 10) Hitchhikers Guide...OH OH, R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt series(s). They're easy reading, action packed, and have 0 sexual content...I would say they're probably one of the best for a young fantasy enthusiast.
I can't believe I was ninja'd with A Wrinkle In Time, you sir win 1 internets.

OT: What he mentioned along with Animorphs, if you can still find them.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
War and peace.... what? was I the only one who read that by age 7?

Beowulf. Seriously.
Beyond that...Hrm... Dune I guess. I sort of liked riverworld as well.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
2 words. Artemis Fowl.

Oh, and the 7th tower series by Garth Nix. I think I read each of those around 20 times when I was around that age.

Both of those series would be labeled more in the fantasy section, but they're all excellent.