"I prefer X." "Well you shouldn't."

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
You should shit on his desk, like a boss. Then proceed to tell him that he shouldn't be bothered by it.

OT: I don't really have any preferences, it really depends on my mood. Sometimes pale-fan, sometimes prefer darker complexion. Sometimes tits/ass/leg/face man

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Nobody should prefer Tab Cola as their choice of cola products. It's nasty.

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
The only thing I could think of would be to prefer someone of a different race, that's a little racist. But simply liking girls with pale skin? That's nothing, and this guy you mention is an idiot for saying you can't like that.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Sounds to me like this guy could have been saying, "You're stupid for liking something I disagree with" OR he could have been saying, "It is irrational to have a preference of an individual based on skin color, I think you should make an effort to look past your instinctual preferences in order to appreciate a wider definition of beauty.". And no offense but...you're pretty biased here. Sure, the guy seems to have expressed his opinion rather purely, but play devils advocate for a second. Maybe he is merely communicating poorly, but his opinion, while possibly faulty, isn't unreasonable.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
AdeptaSororitas said:
Now to tell the actually disagreement. We were discussing what we find attractive in people and I said I like pale-skinned girls. His reply when confronted: "You shouldn't."
Is that REALLY what you said? We went through this earlier in another similar post, where some high school kid said something about preferring Caucasians and the teacher apparently went ballistic on his poor, innocent, white girl loving ass. So I'm tempted to think there's some editorial bias at work here, because that's a really irrational reaction to "I like pale girls". Sort of like "What? You like HOT DOGS? ************, don't even talk to me anymore." It's not a normal reaction to the statement, is what I'm suggesting. So either your co-worker likes to hugely over react to completely inconsequential things, or you're fudging the wording of what you said.

Turbo_Destructor

Apr 5, 2010
I think there are some situations where some people are right and some are wrong. But certainly not when it comes to what kind of girls/women you find attractive, jesus, hasn't this guy ever heard of "the eye of the beholder"?

AdeptaSororitas

Jul 11, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
AdeptaSororitas said:
Now to tell the actually disagreement. We were discussing what we find attractive in people and I said I like pale-skinned girls. His reply when confronted: "You shouldn't."
Is that REALLY what you said? We went through this earlier in another similar post, where some high school kid said something about preferring Caucasians and the teacher apparently went ballistic on his poor, innocent, white girl loving ass. So I'm tempted to think there's some editorial bias at work here, because that's a really irrational reaction to "I like pale girls". Sort of like "What? You like HOT DOGS? ************, don't even talk to me anymore." It's not a normal reaction to the statement, is what I'm suggesting. So either your co-worker likes to hugely over react to completely inconsequential things, or you're fudging the wording of what you said.
No, that's what I said he asked what I found attractive in other women (the weird thing was he was totally okay that I was bi) and I said, literally "Well I personally like pale skinned girls with-" And then he gave me that look.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
AdeptaSororitas said:
I have noticed something odd start to happen where I work, more specifically with one person I happen to be forced to work with frequently. He's nice enough but when we were talking one day I said something and he shot me a look as though I had just eaten his child and offered him some. Finally I confronted him, because he has not been speaking to me anymore then he has to to do his job.

Now to tell the actually disagreement. We were discussing what we find attractive in people and I said I like pale-skinned girls. His reply when confronted: "You shouldn't." I hadn't heard a reply like that since I was a kid and I told my friend I liked Charmander better. Is there anything you shouldn't have a preference about? Like preferring a full heterosexual or a full homosexual partner over a bisexual? Or preferring to date a non-vegan over a vegan? When does something stop being a person preference and start being incorrect to feel any other way about?

I ask you my fellow Escapees, what do you think?
He is a douchebag and you should not talk with him anymore.

Its like saying I like the color blue and being told that blue is not to be liked.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
...He has a problem with you liking pale skinned girls? Unless by girls you meant children WTH is his problem? Maybe he misinterpreted that as some racist comment. (Which would still be stupid cause it?s not)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
AdeptaSororitas said:
No, that's what I said he asked what I found attractive in other women (the weird thing was he was totally okay that I was bi) and I said, literally "Well I personally like pale skinned girls with-" And then he gave me that look.
The reason I ask is his reaction...the look, the "you shouldn't", the avoiding you...it sounds like he perceived what you said as some kind of revelation of hidden racism. And I honestly cannot for the life of me understand how a rational person gets there from "I like pale skinned girls". Even a paranoid, thin skinned person who is looking for racists under every rock should at least mine for more information before springing to conclusions based on that alone. So yes...if that's how it honestly went down...then your co-worker is one kooky fucker, and you should probably give him a wide berth.

OldGus

Feb 1, 2011
AdeptaSororitas said:
We were discussing what we find attractive in people and I said I like pale-skinned girls. His reply when confronted: "You shouldn't."
I think the most important question here is "Why?". As in "Why do you think I shouldn't?".
Here's an example with something more polar.
"I prefer smoking."
"You shouldn't."
"Why not?"
A:"It is known to increase the risk of cancer in you and those around you when you smoke, as well as respiratory illnesses."
B: "They smell bad."
C: "People who smoke are tossers."
D: "Because you just perpetuate the rule of corporations over the common man, extending their reach into both the community and the ruling powers."
E: "FISHMEN!"

One is a proven fact, and a possibly good reason (excluding in my opinion people who already know that and take steps to prevent at the least it affecting others.)
Two are opinions that only matter to you as much as their opinion matters.
Two are... well, not quite sane.
Point being, he is definitely not the most polite man, and he may be an asshole, but I wager a fair chance should be given him. I personally don't think this could be counted as racist, considering "pale skin" isn't limited to Caucasians, and in some cases, will exclude them.
Now, there are many multitudes where you could say regardless of the statement, they're being a dick.
"I prefer women with clearly defined nipples."
"I like big butts."
"I like a woman not too afraid of gaining weight to enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal." (my own opinion there).
"Firefighters really turn me on."
"I prefer women who don't have the body of 12 year old boys."
"I like smaller breasts."
"I like story-driven games."
"I like games that are fun."
"I like my job."
"I prefer short/tall women/men."
"I prefer people who don't put religion above friends and family."
and so on. Feel free to add your own.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
OldGus said:
"I prefer women with clearly defined nipples."
"What happened with you and Jane?"
"We broke up."
"Oh no! What happened?"
"Her nipples were really vaguely defined."

yizelin

Jun 20, 2011
AdeptaSororitas said:
Now to tell the actually disagreement. We were discussing what we find attractive in people and I said I like pale-skinned girls. His reply when confronted: "You shouldn't." I hadn't heard a reply like that since I was a kid and I told my friend I liked Charmander better. Is there anything you shouldn't have a preference about? Like preferring a full heterosexual or a full homosexual partner over a bisexual? Or preferring to date a non-vegan over a vegan? When does something stop being a person preference and start being incorrect to feel any other way about?

I ask you my fellow Escapees, what do you think?
Most of life is preferences and perception, especially in an age where various features are no longer chosen purely based on odds of survival. That being said, I agree with both pale skinned girls (esp redheads, my fave) and Charmander.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
What the hell? Pale girls are awesome! Besides, he should like that you like pale girls, because it means more orange ones for him (if they can get past him being an arrogant prick who feels he can dictate other people's preferences).

AdeptaSororitas

Jul 11, 2011
Jarimir said:
I would like a point of clarification. Are you a woman that told a man that you like other women that are pale-skinned? If so, then the issue here probably has nothing to do with skin color but rather the fact that you are a homosexual. I would not accuse the man of being overly PC but rather a homophobe. Also I tend to agree with the poster that pointed out that this person has already removed himself. I can understand that he is being dickish, but I cant see any good coming from forcing yourself on him socially. Whatever decision he made to not like/associate with you anymore is not likely to be changed by you.

Also, isnt is a little bit ironic that the "anti-pc" crowd seems to be a little bit sensitive, easily offended, and quick to get their hackles up over someone they perceive to be PC? If you are going to claim to be better than another person/group, shouldnt you actually HAVE TO be better than them, rather than acting THE EXACT SAME WAY but in a polar opposite direction?

You would be better than a PC person if you WERENT easily offended by a minor detail of little consequence. Like, for instance, you assuming/hearing about another person being PC.
The weird thing is he didn't seem to care about the fact that I was into women, that's how the conversation started actually.