I really like Movie Bob

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I like Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture, but his Overthinker show is hit or miss for me. He's a huge Nintendo fanboy, and I just like the N64 so I don't care for half his content. Also he started incorporating some storyline and I can't stand it. But whatever, it's his show, he can do as he pleases.

So yeah, Movie Bob is alright, I just wouldn't want to hang out with him for an extended period of time, too opinionated for my tastes.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
He does good stuff, I watch the big picture, seen some at the movies. smart guy that bob. i generally learn something every time i watch something of his

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
i do watch his videos and don't HATE him, but i do think that he feels that he is always right, plus we do disagree on some movies, but i don't mind having a different opinion

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
ColdStorage said:
So its an internet Meme?, right Mr OP, could you remove it from the title please?
Meme's are not conducive to discussion, in fact a few people here instead of discussion the thread are discussing a Meme instead.

With regards to Twilight MovieBob would randomly make a statement about why its bad and shit in other movie vids he made.

As for the PS3, messenger turtle ready for deployment.
Did I just get somebody in trouble? Oops.

Isn't it his job and the idea behind his vids to explain why it is bad or why we shouldn't see it? Explaining the movies good points would be a step in the wrong direction if he wanted to put across how bad it is.

Haha messenger turtle, probably not the greatest animal to send messages via.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
So its an internet Meme?, right Mr OP, could you remove it from the title please?
Meme's are not conducive to discussion, in fact a few people here instead of discussion the thread are discussing a Meme instead.

With regards to Twilight MovieBob would randomly make a statement about why its bad and shit in other movie vids he made.

As for the PS3, messenger turtle ready for deployment.
I'm not sure if it's a meme, but I first heard it on The Boondocks and for some reason my brother uses it in regular conversation.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
I always enjoy MovieBob's stuff, all of the backlash on these forums against him seems to be people getting butthurt about him giving negative reviews to films they like and turning it into the tiresome "not everything has to be art!" strawman bollocks.

That said, if I have a problem with him it's that when he does react to criticism his responses are usually just return volleys that don't actually get to the heart of why people's complaints are invalid.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i like him when he talks about movies, not so much when he talks about games, too much of a Nintendo fanboy for me.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
I really enjoy his stuff. Usually read his articles, and I never miss The Big Picture, Escape to the Movies or The Game Overthinker.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
He's my go-to source to find out if a movie is worth watching or not, partly because his reviews strike me as being really fair and honest, and partly because everyone I know is a massive retard when it comes to movie quality (The next persons who tells me that transformers 3 was awesome is going to get brained with a car battery). But his reviews aren't so much on the entertainment side. He's not like Yahtzee, whose reviews I can watch just for the entertainment value even if I don't give a toss about the game. His reviews are definitely worth watching, and Intermission usually makes for a interesting read (still overshadowed by XP, however), but I can see how he isn't everyone's favourite guy.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I enjoy his work, both movies and big picture, and i do as well pay attention to game overthinker i enjoy most of it, i don't agree with all of it. But most of the arguments are quite well informed and knowledgeable so i can't agree saying it is mindless and enjoy seeing a different opinion.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*shrug*

I like him well enough. He's articulate and intelligent, if I'm any judge. Even when I disagree with him I can respect that he makes a decent case.

Admittedly, the Nintendo fanboyism gets a bit old, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Enamour

Nov 30, 2010
I like Movie Bob (extra homo) and I want his babies.

Jokes aside; I'm doing my master's on literature and history (Russian, Roman, Greek) which means that I've been taught to conduct a relatively objective literary analysis.
(Emphasis on relatively. I'm gonna shit my pants if someone replies: "Baw, you can never be 100% objective!" Of course you can't you obvious idiot, go sit in the corner.)

I don't know what Bob's academic credentials are but I've found little fault with his analyses; there's a difference between analyses and your own opinion though and he sometimes irritates me because of diverging perspectives on aesthetics; oh and that intentionally abrasive and misleading angle he took with "PC Gaming is Dead" though his opinions there were justified.

What people need to realize is that building a story in a movie/game/book or almost anything else is 90% procedural and 10% creative. Do you know where 90% of the reader/viewer/gamer's enjoyment comes from? From correctly applied convention and what makes a "product" special is the innovation that's been applied to the procedural. Sometimes a "creator" breaks massively from convention but even then it's an 80% to 20% split.

Here's an example; I like Book of Eli very much but there is no way in hell I'm even going to try and convince someone that it was a masterpiece of cinema on any level; the justifications don't make sense, only Gary Oldman's character has ANY kind of originality and so forth blah blah blah. I liked it but it was an average movie.

People need to stop confusing good movies with movies that they like. If you're serious about your media, then you owe it to yourself and that media to make these distinctions; otherwise you're just spouting ignorant hate at Bob.

tl;dr Bob's doing a great job as a critic. Ignorance is not an opinion, nor should it be a perspective.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
I like him too. I can see how people think he's arrogant, but I don't think he really is, he just comes off that way. I don't always agree with him, and very rarely he spouts utter bullshit (his game overthinker Metroid: Other M episode), but most of his episodes are interesting.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
I enjoy most of what Moviebobber does. I may not always agree with his opinion, but I'm generally impressed with how he expresses himself and the supporting data provided for the majority of his arguments. He's very well spoken, and a big Nerd, and usually provides me with a few giggles or some new insight to geekdom or pop-culture nuances.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Im a great fan of what he does, rarely does it go an episode without me laughing, learning or examining something differently. I cant say the same of many other shows.