I Think I've Reached A Boiling Point When It Comes To Social Justice

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
So many people disappointed with "social justice", wow.
Did anybody complaining about social justice here actually fight for something, or are we just talking about internet forums?
I think it might be talking on forums for now, but sometimes talking leads to action right?

Just to clarify, what do you mean by fighting for something? I want to get a better hold on what you mean before I write anything to address your perceived condescension.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
BlumiereBleck said:
I see it a lot too. But there is something that makes me feel better about it every time. This image helps me out and it will help you too.
http://i.imgur.com/Nen7F2s.png

Oh my goodness! where did you find that? Those 4chan folks can be disturbingly poetic at times!

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Gorrila_thinktank said:
BlumiereBleck said:
I see it a lot too. But there is something that makes me feel better about it every time. This image helps me out and it will help you too.

Oh my goodness! where did you find that? Those 4chan folks can be disturbingly poetic at times!
I know right? I have a ton of them on gun rights and other issues that were screencapped.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
Negrido said:
Shanicus said:
...You know calling people 'horse fuckers' doesn't help validate your point, right?
MLP fans often times refer to themselves and one another as horse fuckers.
I know that you're ignorant to this fact and normally would not hold that against you. But acting like you're in the right when you're demonstrably in the wrong is just pathetic.
I am an MLP fan and have never referred to myself or other MLP fans as "horse fuckers". Ever. In fact, I usually hear that from those who either hate MLP or don't understand why others like MLP: FiM. I usually hear "brony" or "pegasister", though I've heard less of "pegasister" as time goes on. So, a brony referring to themselves or other bronies as "horse fuckers" is news to me.

OT: Just take some time away from all of that. Unsubscribe or unlike a few of the news sources and whatnot and step back; try looking through the ones you have and getting rid of the ones you really don't like. It might help with the clutter of information you're bombarding yourself with.

We still need people who care or want to care about social issues to help with the fight. It gets tiring when you get hit with too much, but that's why you should take a step back and take a breather. Then, when you feel that you've taken enough of a rest and can wade back in, take your time with it and do however much you think you can handle without causing yourself too much stress or pain.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
jpz719 said:
"THE WOMENZ IN DA VIDEOGAEMZ!!!"
"There are people in the world who lack the money, computers, electricity, and housing, to buy videogames. Go help them instead."
"DA WOMENZ IN DA VIDEOGAEMZ!!"
Most people who trot this argument out don't really believe that people are only allowed to care about one problem at a time until it's solved. It's just a cheap attempt to get the other person to shut up about a topic they don't want to hear about anymore. And sometimes the reason for that is argument fatigue, or trolling... but most of the time it's because the person using that argument doesn't want the problem solved, because they prefer things how they are.

And I guarantee you that most of the people who shout "first world problems" are just as eager to complain about some other "first world problem" that they care about, like consolization of PC titles or console exclusives.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Negrido said:
Shanicus said:
Ah, the good ol' 'Some of them call themselves this, therefore I'll call all of them this'. I actually haven't seen that one in a while, thank you. It's a bit cliche, but gotta keep the classic in circulation, right?
You were offended, I get it. No one cares.
Thats not what the word cliche means.

You're on the internet, if you don't know what the term horse fucker means in that context or what the word cliche means, you can just google them.
This attempt at pony PC bull is a wonderful example of the SJW content this entire thread is about. Offended? Clearly others are in the wrong somehow.
Hold the phone! when it comes to SJ issues and arguing on the internet, can we be hurt rather than offended?

I'm thinking that if i'm allowed to be hurt rather than offended then I can address the cause of the hurt rather than react and go on the defensive about the cause.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
BlumiereBleck said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
BlumiereBleck said:

I know right? I have a ton of them on gun rights and other issues that were screencapped.
can you.. can you start up a thread where you dump them all for your escapist family to read? please? pretty please? pretty please with a gold statue of Marcus Fenix on top?

agent9

Dec 5, 2013
on my personal end I've seen a lot of people get slammed for expressing their opinions be they SJW or otherwise. it's very tough on all sides IMO. You have a good number of people who want to be righteous and indignant for little to no reason, looking for trouble that isn't there, and then you have the other indignant and somewhat ignorant bunch who don't want to hear anything.

I am also quite tired of it all. I've tried on my own end to spark reasonable debate from both sides, it seems to me that more often than not I'm disappointed as each side thinks they're God's gift to the world.

My honest opinion, we should be seeking diversity over censorship without interfering with creative freedom. If someone wants to make a many man game we shouldn't concern ourselves with the lack of women and vice versa. what we should be asking for is more games that reach a higher level of diversity in plots and cast because there is room for both DoA and TLoU in this market. This doesn't mean that we let willfully offensive games slip by scot free, but that we use better judgment to discern the likes of dragons crown from a game like rapelay. one has a chosen artstyle that (even if you don't agree with the boobs or the ass) works well and is still fun to play overall while meaning no harm, and then the other is a willfully offensive rape simulator.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
agent9 said:
I really dont want to come off like a mean person, but do you actually try to spark reasonable debate? Like do you try to get both sides to start feeding you arguments for their positions?

I know that if I ever bring up a topic and I think that Im right about it I'll try to use my reasoning to convince them that im right. My version of 'reasonable debate' in hindsight always seems to be me going to town with a logic hammer. In retrospect it turns out that it wasn't about the issues or the debate, but about me being right.

agent9

Dec 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Did anybody complaining about social justice here actually fight for something, or are we just talking about internet forums?
I've had many a convo over on dtoid and other places, sometimes with my own opinion, and other times playing devils advocate. in truth it's really to challenge people and myself, sadly I'm often disappointed and to be frank you've followed suit. I don't blame you for being cynical (a bit of a cop out though) but it's a 2 way street on a topic based on a gents tire of SJ related activities.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think it might be talking on forums for now, but sometimes talking leads to action right?

Just to clarify, what do you mean by fighting for something? I want to get a better hold on what you mean before I write anything to address your perceived condescension.
Nonviolent civil disobedience, peaceful boycotting, organize marches & protests, found organizations, actively produce and distribute pamphletary literature... that's social activism. You live for it and oftentimes you die for it.

Anonymously posting on public forums and forwarding hashtags in your spare time isn't social activism. That people can become somehow "disillusioned" with social justice because they've spent too much time on the internet - well, it's hard to take that seriously.

Macsen Wledig

Oct 4, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
I see people bitching about it more than I actually see people who act like "social justice warriors," whatever that even means.
This, I don't even know what a "social justice warrior" is, I've only heard the term from people pissing and moaning about these imaginary/insignificant group of people. Never in my life have I met someone at Uni/work/on a night out who've said "I'm a social justice warrior!" or "Guess what I've been getting into? Social justice warriorism" or "Oh, I can't come, I'll be doing my Social Justice Warrior bit on Friday." They just don't seem to exist in the real world as far I can tell, like the Yeti and vampires they seem to only exist on the darkest depths of the internet or in the minds of the mentally ill.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
agent9 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've had many a convo over on dtoid and other places, sometimes with my own opinion, and other times playing devils advocate. in truth it's really to challenge people and myself, sadly I'm often disappointed and to be frank you've followed suit. I don't blame you for being cynical (a bit of a cop out though) but it's a 2 way street on a topic based on a gents tire of SJ related activities.
I'm not cynical about social justice because I don't consider what you or anybody else is doing on the internet to be "social justice".

agent9

Dec 5, 2013
Gorrila_thinktank said:
agent9 said:
I really dont want to come off like a mean person, but do you actually try to spark reasonable debate? Like do you try to get both sides to start feeding you arguments for their positions?

I know that if I ever bring up a topic and I think that Im right about it I'll try to use my reasoning to convince them that im right. My version of 'reasonable debate' in hindsight always seems to be me going to town with a logic hammer. In retrospect it turns out that it wasn't about the issues or the debate, but about me being right.
One has to enter with the understanding that you may be wrong, coming with an open mind to both press and secede points while also keeping in mind that there is a balance to everything. If I feel that I may have been wrong or that point's have come to light that I had not considered then I will let you know that I was wrong. If I feel that my point still has logic and standing greater than the data presented to me then I will press and agree for a peaceful departure. I would rather be educated than ignorant.

Now I have been known to play devils advocate on dtoid if I feel representation for a certain point is nil, it isn't in a trolling way either. I present information and essentially challenge someone. no curses, malice, or ad hominem. if they want to end the debate yelling like a petulant child then by all means, at that point victory is mine. Victory can indeed be sweet, but it can be equally bitter and empty. I don't take pleasure in bludgeoning people with a "logic hammer", especially when a good portion of the time the subject is grayer than a crayola crayon.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Negrido said:
Gorrila_thinktank said:
Hold the phone! when it comes to SJ issues and arguing on the internet, can we be hurt rather than offended?

I'm thinking that if i'm allowed to be hurt rather than offended then I can address the cause of the hurt rather than react and go on the defensive about the cause.
But aren't those synonyms? How would one even go about consciously deciding to be hurt VS offended by something? And at that point, why not simply choose not to be either?

Having people use ethnic slurs when referring to me doesn't hurt me or offend me. I recognize that its offensive, but I don't internalize or value that sort of thing so it doesn't bother me.
No, I don't think the words are synonyms. Or at least they don't directly mean the same thing. I've always thought that 'hurt' is the reaction, but that 'offended' is more complicated. I've always seen offended as feeling unjustly hurt. So like the person feels entitled to something, or some state and they don't get that. It becomes an affront to what they conceive their personhood (their selfness?) IN this context entitlement can be anything, from wanting respect to a candy.

I dont know if one CAN go around deciding whether to be hurt or offended at something ^_^ I just want to limit my own urge to verbally bite peoples heads off, but your comment about not choosing either is very interesting.

I dont know if you can chose in the way you describe it. I've always thought being offended is a reaction to being hurt. I want to try and stop it right there, keep it contained. I don't now exactly what you mean by chose neither, but I'm wary of trying to void myself of emotive impulses. That sounds way to much like repression.

Can you expand on "choosing neither"?

Also, good for you for not being bothered by ethnic slurs! I'm sad you're exposed to that.

agent9

Dec 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
agent9 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm not cynical about social justice because I don't consider what you or anybody else is doing on the internet to be "social justice".
Fair enough.

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Macsen Wledig said:
Colour Scientist said:
I see people bitching about it more than I actually see people who act like "social justice warriors," whatever that even means.
This, I don't even know what a "social justice warrior" is, I've only heard the term from people pissing and moaning about these imaginary/insignificant group of people. Never in my life have I met someone at Uni/work/on a night out who've said "I'm a social justice warrior!" or "Guess what I've been getting into? Social justice warriorism" or "Oh, I can't come, I'll be doing my Social Justice Warrior bit on Friday." They just don't seem to exist in the real world as far I can tell, like the Yeti and vampires they seem to only exist on the darkest depths of the internet or in the minds of the mentally ill.
oh wow, could you imagine? your at the club and someone saddles up next to you, leans in and whisper into your ear, "... you know i'm a social justice warrior, right?" or "I'd love to fight for your rights baby." XD

Honestly I've always thought the term was more of an insult that's morphed into a prerogative term. Can't you just hear the bitter cynicism in it?