I used to dislike Anita Sarkeesian, but...

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Interesting position but the issues of sexism in games really doesn't affect a lot of us.

funkzillabot said:
YOUR MOTHER IS A WOMAN (unless, of course, you were hatched?) Your sister. Your girlfriend/wife (unless you are gay). Your daughter.
None of whom play video games. No woman I know and care about plays video games. So how does this affect me?

funkzillabot said:
I'm sorry to be the one to bust your bubble, but this DOES EFFECTS YOU!
- Because you live on this planet.
- Because you are part of this society.
- Because there are only 2 sexes, of which YOU are 1.
- Because you have a responsibly for you own actions.
I'm curious what actions are we talking about that men have responsibility for?

funkzillabot said:
Now......whether you wish to acknowledge these facts or not, only makes YOU part of the problem.
How so? How does someone who has no influence whatsoever on the direction of the games industry make the "problem" worse by not caring?

edit: And yes I know you weren't talking to "me" but when I use "me" in this post treat it as all people who aren't affected by sexism in games.

decapode

Jul 29, 2012
Aramis Night said:
decapode said:
carnex said:
If we compare monetary compensation for the same jobs in the same positions males and female earn roughly (or as I have seen it put, within the margin of statistical error) the same. Adjusted for less work time clocked in by females on average they actually earn more.
The main problem when it comes to the wage gap in scientific feminist discourse is the glass ceiling. Wage gaps are vastly overdiscussed; the main problem is how responsibility of the home is divided and the "risks" involved in hiring female workers. I skipped the rest of your comment, as I think you oversimplify things, but felt that it was neccessary to clear this up. Also, no, women do not earn more. They earn as much, with some very small exceptions in "third world" countries.
Let's put this wage gap nonsense to bed around here in a hurry if we can. Tired of seeing that myth pop up. http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html

Also if Time isn't credible enough for you, how about a report commissioned by the us dept. of labor: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html
Huh. I actually didn't know that there were such visible differences between childless women and working mothers. I was in a hurry and didn't provide any further sources, but the article is excellent. It perfectly encapsulates the problem behind the phrase. So yeah, thanks.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
wulf3n said:
Interesting position but the issues of sexism in games really doesn't affect a lot of us.

funkzillabot said:
YOUR MOTHER IS A WOMAN (unless, of course, you were hatched?) Your sister. Your girlfriend/wife (unless you are gay). Your daughter.
None of whom play video games. No woman I know and care about plays video games. So how does this affect me?
Surely your mum has played solitaire? I know mine did! It must be because it's gender neutral... No wait it's also sexist with the king being the card of highest value, damn patriarchy ruining my mum's solitaire fun time! (Yes i'm being obnoxiously absurd)

Kai Kuhl

Nov 13, 2012
I really like Anita Sarkeesian , because she sees that problem out of a similar angle than me. She understands that you really have to show people the problem, before you try to solve it. Many feminists dont understand that, thus getting 'femonazied'. But before you can change a so fundamental issue like that, is to convince people that there is a issue at all.
That 'dont care' or 'dont exist' attitude is a problem so many movements have to endure, today, like feminism, veganism, green activism, and in the past, like anti-slavery, anti-racism, and so forth.
We need people like Sarkeesian, who just dont give up to rub us into that dark corner of us that we want to avoid so hard.
Till, you know, that bad conscience gets so unbearable that change is happening.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Aramis Night said:
decapode said:
carnex said:
If we compare monetary compensation for the same jobs in the same positions males and female earn roughly (or as I have seen it put, within the margin of statistical error) the same. Adjusted for less work time clocked in by females on average they actually earn more.
The main problem when it comes to the wage gap in scientific feminist discourse is the glass ceiling. Wage gaps are vastly overdiscussed; the main problem is how responsibility of the home is divided and the "risks" involved in hiring female workers. I skipped the rest of your comment, as I think you oversimplify things, but felt that it was neccessary to clear this up. Also, no, women do not earn more. They earn as much, with some very small exceptions in "third world" countries.
Let's put this wage gap nonsense to bed around here in a hurry if we can. Tired of seeing that myth pop up. http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html

Also if Time isn't credible enough for you, how about a report commissioned by the us dept. of labor: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html
Thank you sir. Although you duplicated the link.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Hazy said:
Aw yeah, I get a chance to post these again. Cameron really did a fantastic job on these videos.

Good videos, they should be required viewing for everybody as it irks me that so many ppl can be hook lined and sinkered by such cods-wallop that "feminists" such as her are victims in all of this, that includes the BBC.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Eacaraxe said:
Rebel_Raven said:
I'm snipping, because I really feel this productive vein of conversation is drawing to a close.

Absolutely, there's way too much sexist dudebro shit out there on the gaming market. That by all means ought to change. We're totally on the same page. That doesn't change the fact it exists because there is a market for it, and that not only is the path of least resistance for making triple-A titles, but also the most lucrative. It is a response to market forces, not a cause for market forces.

It's not as if a game company one day got the wonderful idea to make "Super Hooker Fighter XTreme", and an entire generation of males upon seeing this title realized tits are awesome and want to see more of them. Game companies realized the majority of their audience is male, and since men like tits, tits can be put in video games and make them more popular. It's not just oversexualization of women although it's certainly the issue with greatest exposure (heh), that extends to male power fantasy and every other iteration thereof comparative to the female experience and representation of women in games. And women, by and large, as you said yourself interpret this as a Hobson's choice and buy the shit anyway.

Meanwhile, indie and small-time developers aren't started and grow in a vacuum. They're not athlete's foot or herpes for god's sake. People don't buy their games, which limits their exposure and their revenue, putting them in turn in a catch-22. If they're making good, female-friendly games, buy them and give them word-of-mouth advertising. We in the western world live in a capitalist paradigm in which consumption drives revenue, which in turn drives growth. Look at BioWare, one of the more forward-thinking triple-A companies out there in terms of gender and gender issues and representation, which started as an indie company and grew because people liked and bought their games. The "next" BioWare isn't going to be the "next" BioWare, unless people look past the fact they're an indie company and buy their games!

That's the issue at hand. Why would companies find a different, riskier way to have their cake and eat it too, when they already have a way to have their cake and eat it too? It's going to be market forces that drive reform in the game industry, and that will never, ever coalesce unless people like me, and you by your own admission, start speaking with their wallets -- and advocating others do so. That's where Sarkeesian threw the bloody ball and ran away from it screaming, in my opinion, is she didn't just say "don't buy sexist games".
It's no secret that I'm well aware guys like boobs. I like boobs, too! I think everyone does.
I recognize sex sells, and I'm willing to make compromises in light of that. It's a valid, but pretty cheap sales tactic, especially when it's most of what the game's draw is when the game is not a sex game.
I still gotta think that when women wanting to game are faced with the likes of Ivy Valentine, and women made in a similar image are going to get a bit turned off at their abundance, which is why I clammor for variety. Women don't have to dress that way to be hot, yet it's the easiest way so it gets done more often. If we're going to invite them, a balance between sexy and conservative needs to be found, and it's not that frikking hard to do that, IMO. Clothes that are even remotely flattering, and stylish can acomplish a lot without showing a ton of skin.

You bring up a point in the power trip. I crave such experiences, and that's a part of the reason I push for more female playable characters.
An NPC is pretty much never going to give me a power trip, even if she were a goddess that supported the playable guy through out an entire game. Power trips are only really power trips when the player wields the power. It's as simple as that.
That said, I gotta feel it's safe to say I'm not alone in that opinion.

The thing about indie games is that they have to be appealing enough for word of mouth to work. That's really really hard to do for one game. No one game is going to fell the notion that women hurt games.
Even with multiple recommendations, it's unlikely to be significant outside of the indie scene.
Few indie games are runaway successes, after all.
Even fewer are to the point they get a AAA treatment. Considering Portal is one of them, I'd say it hasn't done as much as I'd have hoped a popular game with a female protagonist would do for representing female protagonists as evidence that a female protagonist doesn't kill a game.
People had little to zero problems with Chell, and the game is what I'd think of as a success, but here we are, still, struggling to find games with female leads that aren't trashy looking, in good games, that aren't gender select.

Further compounding the problem is the simple fact that until indie games can have a strong presense outside of the PC, and IOS arenas they're going to be limited by the audience. Maybe the Xbone, and the ps4 will be that bridge for that, but we won't know until we get there.

Even -then- an indie game will have to be successful enough in reaping profits that the gaming industry takes note. That's an insane goal. Minecraft hasn't even gotten there since I see little attempts to copy the formula. Actually, no attempts outside of other indie games come to mind.
And even if the industry tries to copy the formula, I would still worry that if the indie game originally had a female playable chracter that she'd get removed in favor of a guy only game. I'm not really alone in the worry, either.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-20-bastion-developer-teases-transistor-for-pax-east

The indie scene, as lovely as it is, just doesn't seem up to the task of showing the world that women don't hurt a game. There's too much in the way.
That isn't to say a person can't try, and prove me wrong. The person that proves me wrong aughta get a nobel peace prize, and get more money than god.

The gaming industry is absolutely not having their cake, and eating it, too near as I can tell. All the financial troubles they're facing is proof of that, IMO. The layoffs, games failing despite reaching multi-million sales, radical ideas from Ubisoft, Xbone's DRM/rstrictions, DRM in general, the talks of piracy and used games, etc., etc.
IMO there's a large difference between having women as consumers, and having -happy- female consumers. Some might be content, and some might be happier, but their moods have room to go up, and when morale increases word of mouth certainly will, too.

The problem with "don't buy sexist games"/ vote with your wallet is that:
1: Guys in general get catered to enough that they don't really care. It's basically "eff you! got mine!" It's not universal among guys, but It's enough that the industry isn't hell bent on changing any time soon.
2: The Hobson's Choice. If we don't buy into it, will we really be able to game? If we do boycott the games we feel are sexist, how long will we have to?
3: Getting large amounts of people to actually do this. Between the guys that have theirs, and the people that crack under pressure I doubt we'd have enough to make a dent in the industry.

But this brings up an interesting notion. Looking at a more golden era where Tomb Raider games were common as well as Parasite Eve, and a handful of other less memorable games in the psx and ps2 era with women at the lead, plus Resident Evil games where you had a choice to play as a girl, and then looking at things in the ps3 era where such games are seemingly far less common, and the seeming increase in financial troubles, maybe people were already voting with their wallets? Maybe the industry is sinking because they seemingly abandoned a lot of female gamers, and guys that liked a woman as a lead?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
carnex said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Eacaraxe said:
Honestly, I think the market's becoming a little oversaturated with the dudebro aimed games. It -needs- games that aren't to handle the people that want something different, and those people exist across genders. We needs more Overstrike, and less Fuse. :p
Game publishers are looking at reasearch tables when deciding which games to publish. And, if they look at this http://usabilitynews.org/video-games-males-prefer-violence-while-females-prefer-social/ , you are in luck since it shows much greater acceptance of violent games among female gamers, then what previous inquiries did.
That is indeed welcome news! Hopefully studies like this can lead to the industry filling gaps in sales, and generally treating women like gamers instead of girl gamers!

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Kai Kuhl said:
I really like Anita Sarkeesian , because she sees that problem out of a similar angle than me. She understands that you really have to show people the problem, before you try to solve it. Many feminists dont understand that, thus getting 'femonazied'. But before you can change a so fundamental issue like that, is to convince people that there is a issue at all.
That 'dont care' or 'dont exist' attitude is a problem so many movements have to endure, today, like feminism, veganism, green activism, and in the past, like anti-slavery, anti-racism, and so forth.
We need people like Sarkeesian, who just dont give up to rub us into that dark corner of us that we want to avoid so hard.
Till, you know, that bad conscience gets so unbearable that change is happening.
Ok this actually caught my attention, what is veganism doing in that list? How is that even closely related to the other kinds of activism?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
LetalisK said:
Mikeyfell said:
LetalisK said:
Zenn3k said:
Anita has never played a video game in her life, and that isn't invented, its fact.
From where? Because it sounds more like you pulled it out of thin air.
The facts are that she uses uncredited footage from other people's Youtube channels in her videos and passes them off as her own footage.

Which would imply that she hasn't played (Or at least hasn't recorded herself playing) The games she's talking about.
Yes, the bolded part would be the correct implication based on that fact. There is a world of difference between that and "she's never played a game in her life". And just to be clear I'm not assuming or arguing she has played all or any of the games she's talking about, but rather pointing out that a particular statement is only based on prejudicial speculation rather than any facts.
Well to be fair I never said that. (That was Zenn3K)
I have no reason to believe she doesn't play games.

But if her operation is all above board why didn't she credit any of the people who's videos she used?

It's fishy, is all. She got Kickstarted for over $100K. She can afford a capture card.
(Plus have you seen her Bayonetta video? If she ever played Bayonetta I'm a monkey's uncle)

If her opinions are based off second hand plot synopses or even watched Let's Plays as apposed to actually playing the games herself she should say so.
And if she did play the games (After receiving $158K) Why didn't she record her own footage?
If she used other people's footage for convenience (Total possibility) why didn't she ask permission or at least credit them?

It doesn't prove she didn't play the games, but it makes it pretty clear that she's a shady character

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
FoxKitsune said:
Rebel_Raven said:
thebakedpotato said:
Aww yeah another one of these threads! Wooohoo!

Honestly what pisses me off about the whole ordeal is that the energy behind it all is misdirected. If both parties approached a different, solvable, remarkable issue like say... curing AIDS; with as much energy, and vitriol as they do debating and arguing and taunting and threatening and soapboxing... That shit would have been cured.

Now I know how the pope must feel about masturbation
To be fair, I think the gender issues in gaming is an easier battle to win vs Aids. :p

If gender issues in games stopped being an issue, people could move on to other things. Maybe racial variety in games? I'd like to see that take flight. I think it needs to be addressed, but I'm a one battle at a time kind of person.

If the small problems would just go away, we'd have nothing but the larger problems to focus on.
Buuut the small problems, like gender issues in videogames, aren't going away any time soon, few people are in a hurry to fix them, and some people are actually fighting to keep them in.
The battle wages so long as there's something to fight over.

Threads like these are full of reasons why people are hung up on combating the status quo of gaming.
It's honestly very funny when you stop to think about it. The one thing that everyone in this thread, regardless of their views on Anita, would agree on right here on the spot is that having a better variety of characters in gaming, both male and female from different backgrounds, couldn't HURT gaming as a medium. Then there's the group (and I count myself among them) that figure it would be seriously beneficial to the medium.

And the thing is, if we've got one group of people saying 'I like things as they are, but it couldn't hurt` and a second group saying `we want this`, then you'd think the industry would jump right in to sort that out. Not that anyone can fault certain publishers for trying. It's just a shame that there are so many of those same titans content to continue working on the same business models they always did in the past.
Funny in a sad, sad way. :/

I'm truely baffled as to why we can't get together, get noticed, and give the gaming industry inscentive to change.
I gotta wonder why the game industry isn't having people visit web forums like this one for data. Heck, maybe they are, and they're just lurking? I dunno.
Honestly, I think the data gathered here might just be more honest, and well thought out than in a lot of other methods.

I guess people have their camps outside of the issue, and refuse to let another camp win even if it's to their own detriment.
Or some variant like "No! I won't let us win on these terms!" or something.

I dunno, I'm understanding of the tribal warfare nature of our species, but at the same time, baffled by it at times.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
"Patriarchy refers to a couple factors including men being in positions of power, our media being male dominated, male centric, but most importantly it describes how our world functions by emphasizing which kind of traits are both USEFUL and ENCOURAGED to have. It is a bias so subtle that we forget that there is any other way to live our lives, and so dangerous that it can lead us to demonize feminists just for wanting to create a more equal world."

See that's the issue. It's not "All positions of power being held by men" it's "Men being in positions of power" that you label and they label as "patriarchy" as if men are so evil that any being in power is wrong.

The media is hardly male centric, at least in the US. Most of the shit I see on tv is directed towards teen girls and housewives. Look at that dumb man, he don't know how eat yogurt good!

They are not trying to "create a more equal world" by saying that men should never be in power. They are not gender equalists, they are feminists. Female supremacists. If they were about equality they wouldn't be "feminists" because "FEMinism" is about furthering the cause of FEMales.

I am not demonizing feminists or saying it's wrong, I'm just saying call a horse a horse.

I think racists have a right to their opinions, they even have a right to form supremacists groups, same goes for sexists, but at least call it what it is. Don't try to tell me that feminism is about gender equality or that the black panthers and the KKK are about racial equality.

If feminists were about equal treatment, they would also be demanding punishment for female pedophiles and rapists. Many women have been shunned by their feminists groups for even implying that women are capable of such things. That's just insanity.

You see them go on and on about violence against females, you never once see them discuss violence against males.

I think it's great that your taking an original opinion and not just going with the flow, stick with that, but personally this is a rare occasion where I actually agree with the stupid, reactionary, easily offended masses. She is a con artist and a liar. She raised money so she could rip other let's play videos without permission and present it as her "research material" as if she actually played these games.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Kai Kuhl said:
I would think, and certainly hope, that you'd have to understand the problem and what causes it would be pretty important. Just saying "there is a problem" not only does nothing to deal with it, repeating it over and over only makes people ignore it out of fatigue of hearing about it. Think about it this way, if you are driving a car and you hear something in the back squeaking when you turn, when you first hear it, it seems pretty important to address. Now if all you do is go "I should fix that" but don't, after a while you just tune it out and nothing changes. Furthermore, anyone you say that to started to get frustrated that all you do is complain about it instead of actually trying to address it.

You have some point that in order to get change, you need to convince people there is something that needs it in the first place, but you are very wrong in saying Sarkesian does anything towards that goal. Her complete ignorance (or just lack of acknowledgement)of underlying causes for the traits she sees and does not like paint her as just another Glenn Beck, a bordeline conspiracy theorist whinging about something they don't like because ideological stubbornness.

What we need are people who not only are passionate about getting change, but who are not toxic to the topic like she is. We need people who understand underlying causes and can explain why the patterns exist in the first place, thereby suggesting they can help come up with solutions afterwords.

Hell, as just a forum poster, I have already made a thread solely on the purpose of coming up with solutions for women's portrayal and participation in gaming. I tried to break down as much of the reasoning for that happening in the first place and use that understanding to direct solutions. As some no-name in a damn forum, as someone who argues against Anita tooth and nail, I have done more to try to make solutions then the entirety of the Tropes v. Women series has seemed to try.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Rebel_Raven said:
I'm truely baffled as to why we can't get together, get noticed, and give the gaming industry inscentive to change.

I gotta wonder why the game industry isn't having people visit web forums like this one for data. Heck, maybe they are, and they're just lurking? I dunno.
Honestly, I think the data gathered here might just be more honest, and well thought out than in a lot of other methods.

I guess people have their camps outside of the issue, and refuse to let another camp win even if it's to their own detriment.
Or some variant like "No! I won't let us win on these terms!" or something.
I believe they do have people on most of big gaming forums. Not in official capacity, just people from development and publishing houses being there on their own. Why it doesn't flip the switch? Perhaps because they tried it before with appalling results. Old sierra did a survey for, I'm not sure but I think Space Quest 6. Online response was massive, when online was incomparable to today's presence. They invested a lot in game which simply didn't sell based on that data. Few pills like that would make next pill really hard to swallow.

As for the second part, yes, you are right. Because there is more things there than simple representation will cover. Let's cut off what we agree on from what is controversial. Like better female characters and more and better female protagonists from demonization of male sexual preferences.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Carpenter said:
"Patriarchy refers to a couple factors including men being in positions of power, our media being male dominated, male centric, but most importantly it describes how our world functions by emphasizing which kind of traits are both USEFUL and ENCOURAGED to have. It is a bias so subtle that we forget that there is any other way to live our lives, and so dangerous that it can lead us to demonize feminists just for wanting to create a more equal world."

See that's the issue. It's not "All positions of power being held by men" it's "Men being in positions of power" that you label and they label as "patriarchy" as if men are so evil that any being in power is wrong.

The media is hardly male centric, at least in the US. Most of the shit I see on tv is directed towards teen girls and housewives. Look at that dumb mad, he don't know how eat yogurt good!

They are not trying to "create a more equal world" by saying that men should never be in power. They are not gender equalists, they are feminists. Female supremacists. If they were about equality they wouldn't be "feminists" because "FEMinism" is about furthering the cause of FEMales.

I am not demonizing feminists or saying it's wrong, I'm just saying call a horse a horse.

I think racists have a right to their opinions, they even have a right to form supremacists groups, same goes for sexists, but at least call it what it is. Don't try to tell me that feminism is about gender equality or that the black panthers and the KKK are about racial equality.

If feminists were about equal treatment, they would also be demanding punishment for female pedophiles and rapists. Many women have been shunned by their feminists groups for even implying that women are capable of such things. That's just insanity.

You see them go on and on about violence against females, you never once see them discuss violence against males.

I think it's great that your taking an original opinion and not just going with the flow, stick with that, but personally this is a rare occasion where I actually agree with the stupid, reactionary, easily offended masses. She is a con artist and a liar. She raised money so she could rip other let's play videos without permission and present it as her "research material" as if she actually played these games.
the problem with feminism is two fold.

First is that as a group, it is splintered a hundred ways but because of historical and cultural significance, they all want to use the term "feminism" so they can tie their causes to women rights fights through history. It is great for victim playing and defending against criticism.

Secondly, it is based on the how. Even for the feminist that are all about equality, the name reveals the problem in the thinking. It is not the goal they have (the full equality ones) but the manner they try to obtain it. Feminism s a female perspective movement, based in the idea of elevating women to men in order to create equality. In the past this was a suitable course of action, as in terms of rights and legal protections, women were less then men. Today though, their is inequality against both genders, so only trying to raise up one is a sexist method, even if the end goal is a wholesome one.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
carnex said:
@mecegirl

I already said this. We are different, we seek different things. I don't judge your tastes. My opinion is that you should take the same stance.

Women seek, even in casual men, romance. Men don't. It's as simple as that. Maybe we should stop to apply our mesuring sticks to others? Both of those images imply romance, not sex. Female preference. It's basically same to me.

It's not some evil scheme to dehumanize women. It's simply what is pleasing to males.

And again, if women, at my work, in large goverment company, I barely, or absolutely don't know are free to keep their barely covered breasts so close to my face that I have to turn head, why women object to them being drawn in same way?

P.S.

I don't play games for love seeking. But I do it for pleasure and unwiding. Casual female body is, for many men highly pleasurable sight. Even without any added toughts like lust.
Omg...if you could see my tumblr dashboard you'd shut up real quick about the whole "men prefer the physical" thing. That is not true. Have you seen Teen Wolf? Do you think that the shirtless work out scenes in that Arrow show is for the guys? How about this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pi4YPQvGQ
Where have you been? The only reason why the fan service in those shows aren't made a fuss of is because it is rare.. not because it isn't as useless as fan service in other shows. If sex really sold then we would be catering to all sexual tastes..unfortunately the mainstream focuses selling sex to heterosexual men above all categories. That is the problem..not that heterosexual men like sexulized images of woman but that their "needs" run roughshod over anyone elses.

And how that second image I posted does not imply sex? It's not pornographic but its pretty explicit.

I live near a very nice park. Dudes run shirtless all the time...and they are really hot with the muscles and the sweat...Well you get the picture. I still don't crane my neck and look because it's rude, not becase I'm not attacted to it..And that bit of cleavage you see at work is waaaaaaaaaay different than what some of these characters wear. When is the last time you saw a woman go to work looking like a video game character? Women have breasts. They don't flop around like in Dragons crown, but they do move. Either you need to let these coworkers know that you are extra sensitive, or deal. You speak as if these women are purposefully trying to seduce you by moving around.

spartandude said:
Man you think those are objectified?

I know ive just contributed nothing to the argument but it had to be done.
Tee Hee..Nice sword...

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
runic knight said:
Carpenter said:

The media is hardly male centric, at least in the US. Most of the shit I see on tv is directed towards teen girls and housewives. Look at that dumb mad, he don't know how eat yogurt good!

the problem with feminism is two fold.

First is that as a group, it is splintered a hundred ways but because of historical and cultural significance, they all want to use the term "feminism" so they can tie their causes to women rights fights through history. It is great for victim playing and defending against criticism.

Secondly, it is based on the how. Even for the feminist that are all about equality, the name reveals the problem in the thinking. It is not the goal they have (the full equality ones) but the manner they try to obtain it. Feminism s a female perspective movement, based in the idea of elevating women to men in order to create equality. In the past this was a suitable course of action, as in terms of rights and legal protections, women were less then men. Today though, their is inequality against both genders, so only trying to raise up one is a sexist method, even if the end goal is a wholesome one.
I should have mentioned that, the feminist movement was important and even vital at a point.
Since that point (women are now allowed to vote and have almost equal and in some cases more power than a man) it has evolved into something pretty detrimental to society IMO.

Your "secondly" presented the same idea I was trying to present in a much better way, thank you. Yes society is still unequal but now we don't have one gender with no power while the other has it all, the inequality is a combination now, it affects both sides because it's gotten that close to the goal. A group devoted to protecting and helping only women is not going to help equality in the slightest.

On one of those day time tv talk shows, they were discussing a documentary where famous women went to foreign countries for a bit and judged their culture from the safety of their wealth and security. They did some good things (for the few girls they selected as their focal points) but they spouted some pretty sexist ideas and got a huge applause.

I quote "It's important to educate girls in this country. You teach a boy, you teach a person, when you teach a girl, you teach a village"

Now it's great to make girls feel good about themselves but that's not what's happening, that statement has the sole purpose of raising girls onto a pedestal and lowering "males" even further down. It presents the idea that only women share knowledge. That's pretty dishonest.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
@mecegirl
I have no qualms with males being used as fan service for women or homosexual men or whoever sees it as attractive. I like to see female body so why would I object on opposite taking place?

As I put it, I own my own sexuality and let others own their own. If a man decides to be eye candy for someone, that is his decision. If artist decides do draw that, again, it's his decision. I may agree with it, or may not, but they made it so if I want to protest it, protest goes to person doing it and person publishing it, not bash consumers of it.

Now, there are things that I would consider problematic because I would consider consumer mentally unstable, like pointless dismemberment, torture and such and I my write open protest against those. But even that, I do believe that as long as all people involved are in agreement without outside pressure about what they are doing, it's none of my business. Involved includes affected of course.

oh, yes. And I don't watch Teen Wolf. Sorry.

Yea, men prefer visual. When we seek partner, then that is now withstanding ofcourse. But most of the time we enjoy seing beutifull woman out of any context. It's pleasing to out eyes. We relax looking at it and then return to tasks we don't like.