I want a challenge from boss battles in current games.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Vanitas Remnant and Mysterious Figure. Some of the main storyline bosses are pretty tough as well.

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
Is there something I don't about Emerald Weapon? :S

Also, I've finished XII, beaten Yiazmat and Omega etc., but still the prospect of playing again seems quite fun.

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
GartarkMusik said:
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Vanitas Remnant and Mysterious Figure. Some of the main storyline bosses are pretty tough as well.
I agree

The Geek Lord

Apr 15, 2009
sravankb said:
Monster Hunter.

Hands-down, the best game for boss battles. This isn't just a fanboy speaking here, it's the shared opinion of an overwhelming majority of the players who've played the series.
Have sex with me This.

Monster Hunter--particularly the older ones (Freedom Unite and past) have some stupidly hard boss battles. And the entire game is boss battles. (Fuck Teostra. FUCK HIM WITH AN ICICLE MADE OF PURE BULLSHITIUM.)

Also, Shin Megami Tensei. Or, judging by Radiant Historia, any game with the Atlus label on it. Fucking giant spiders and their stupid massive defense/offense and inability to let me air juggle their asses.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
shin megami tensei games

devil survivor and strange journey have bosses that just go "bend over, cause itll hurt worse otherwise" devil survivor is worse. the first boss? only the main character can hurt him and if you dont make him a physical build youre screwed and if he dies? automatic game over, even if you have a revive spell

Virulain

Jan 16, 2010
Persona 3, Persona 4. Relatively challenging. 3 has an additional mode with even more punishing dungeons and monsters. The others are also correct: if you haven't played Demon's Souls and you want tough fights, that's the way to go. Terraria is a brilliant game as well. The Witcher games are worthwhile, especially cranked to a minimum of Hard. Mass Effect 1 & 2 on higher difficulty are great. The Last Remnant will blow your head off, but its gameplay is obscure as well. That game is more punishing than Demon's Souls. If you want to go old school, Vagrant Story is a real winner, and available on PSN. Original PS1 copies are expensive to acquire. Avadon: The Black Fortress and Eschalon Book I and Book II are indie PC RPGs with serious boss battles.

If you're not finding challenging games on the market, it's really probably because you're either not looking, or you're cheating yourself out of an experience by using glitches and not adequately increasing the difficulty settings.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
That's just because we have mainly moved past the "boss fight" stage of gaming. Most games still have them, but there really isn't a huge emphasis on them anymore. Just look at Red Dead Redemption and the Call of Duty games etc.

Pr1de

Dec 14, 2010
The Geek Lord said:
sravankb said:
Monster Hunter.

Hands-down, the best game for boss battles. This isn't just a fanboy speaking here, it's the shared opinion of an overwhelming majority of the players who've played the series.
Have sex with me This.

Monster Hunter--particularly the older ones (Freedom Unite and past) have some stupidly hard boss battles. And the entire game is boss battles. (Fuck Teostra. FUCK HIM WITH AN ICICLE MADE OF PURE BULLSHITIUM.)
Try doing the G3 Teostra in freedom unite by yourself, I was basically using all my inventory room for making more mega potions, and infinite stamina drinks... and i only would technically win because he would run.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jennacide said:
>emerald weapon
>grinding
Teehee. You're doing it wrong. :p
Actually, it's not the grind that is wrong. It's bothering much with the materia. You DO need to be some high of levels in order to survive the attacks Emerald throws at you, or you can just forget the whole thing. The thing is that messing with the materia is the trap. Go in with very little of it and you stand a better chance. And incidentally, I DID beat the bugger, so I kinda' know of what I speak.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
sravankb said:
Monster Hunter.

I agree. I owned Monster Hunter Freedom 2 for the PSP. The boss battles in that game were VERY hard. They took considerable skill to beat. It took planning, placing traps (lots of traps), luring him into them, avoiding his attacks and playing against his weaknesses in order to even come close to killing them.

KnightOfHearts

May 24, 2011
I honestly do agree
I can't think of a recent game with a challenging anything really.
Only thing that comes to mind is demons souls which will completely ruin you!
Until you start to recognise the patterns each boss has.

If you want challenging boss fights from any game though I highly recomend the following

Ninja gaiden sigma 1 + 2 - Ridiculously hard games and the higher the difficulty is the more the game throws at you E.g when you fight the first boss on normal it'll just be a duel of sorts... on harder difficulties he has new attacks and a constant respawning army of ninjas that fight along side him!
All in all the difficulties are structured really well, minor enemy types change, you take more damage, small level differences (like putting exploding bats in chests!!!) and more bosses.
Devil may cry 3 - Amazing game, same deal with ninja gaiden, SUPER HARD game and the higher the difficulty is the more attacks the bosses have.

Megaman Zero 1 + 2 - realistically any megaman is going to challenge you but Zero 1 + 2 are reaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy hard, especially when it comes down to boss fights.

You could also give kingdom hearts birth by sleep a try, but make sure you start on critical mode, there ends up being some really epic battles that'll require you to think.

Dissidia can be kind of challenging... not really... sometimes... it's worth a look

Bayonetta also deserves a mention, it can be very challenging
On harder play through enemies attack frequently, deal more damage and overall make battles feel like a blast!

Darks souls is coming out soon as well.

Oh, also give vagrant story a try... Amazingly under rated gamer

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Psychotic-ishSOB said:
I don't want any more boss battles, I think the very concept is archaic and needless for most games. They rarely make sense. For instance, why should a normal human being, who just happens to be the biggest asshole, have a minigun and take thirty shots?
Who cares if it makes sense?? It makes for an effective challenge.

I've talked before about the euphoric rush that can occur when overcoming a particularly difficult challenge that's plagued you for a while. Well if you don't like Boss Battles then you'd better come up with some sort of alternative because I miss that euphoric rush and you just don't get it much anymore. I used to always get it after overcoming a particularly frustrating boss, the longer the boss plagued me, the greater the rush when I finally beat him; and I can't be the only one whose felt this. However most bosses don't present much of a challenge anymore so I don't get that rush much anymore and I miss it. I know I've talked about this at length on previous occasions.

Edit: fixed mistype.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
GenericPCUser said:
Mount and Blade: Warband.

Start game, max difficulty, realism mode. Every fight is a boss battle, every loss is soul crushing.
And it gets downright soul destroying if you opted to have the game auto-save all the time...

The last boss I really got any good rush from was the final levels of Operation Flashpoint (on the PC) and Mercenaries 1 on the Xbox. Neither game is from the last 5 years.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution had some decently difficult boss battles for a stealth build run through. with the exception of the final boss of course... very disappointed in the final boss.