I want Obsidian to make the next Elder Scrolls game

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Mick Myers said:
Gonna have to agree here, (Duke Nukem Forever aside). This poor idea of "More games = better" has become rampant and ridiculous. Honestly, I think the console idiots & CoD / Madden are to blame (bigger number every 6 months to a year and 'OMG ITS THE BEST THING EVER *Retarded console user slobber*). And where did you (Aimed at ovoon here) get "every 2 years" from? It's been, what, 4 years since Oblivion? 5? The reason Skyrim is such great quality is because they took their time on it and gave the community what they wanted by occasionally making Oblivion better by adding good quality DLC (minus the ripoff horse armor) while they perfected (minus occasional bug/glitch which is to be expected) Skyrim. Pump out more games quicker and you will lose fan-base not only because the games not be as in-depth or great quality, but no-one will have enough time to truly enjoy them because your pumping out more half-assed games every few years.
So playing on consoles automatically makes me "retarded", a "slobber" and someone who believes that games should be released regularly and developers shouldn't take their time?

I really hope you're joking, and that you're just in an angry mood.

Mick Myers

Nov 16, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
Mick Myers said:
Gonna have to agree here, (Duke Nukem Forever aside). This poor idea of "More games = better" has become rampant and ridiculous. Honestly, I think the console idiots & CoD / Madden are to blame (bigger number every 6 months to a year and 'OMG ITS THE BEST THING EVER *Retarded console user slobber*). And where did you (Aimed at ovoon here) get "every 2 years" from? It's been, what, 4 years since Oblivion? 5? The reason Skyrim is such great quality is because they took their time on it and gave the community what they wanted by occasionally making Oblivion better by adding good quality DLC (minus the ripoff horse armor) while they perfected (minus occasional bug/glitch which is to be expected) Skyrim. Pump out more games quicker and you will lose fan-base not only because the games not be as in-depth or great quality, but no-one will have enough time to truly enjoy them because your pumping out more half-assed games every few years.
So playing on consoles automatically makes me "retarded", a "slobber" and someone who believes that games should be released regularly and developers shouldn't take their time?

I really hope you're joking, and that you're just in an angry mood.
Just got off work, slightly mad, but, no, I'm not saying everyone that uses a console fits this, but there is a large group out there that push this stereotype rather consistently. Mainly the Madden fans who buy a new game for a stat-change to a player, or the CoD fans that purchase and re-purchase the same bloody game at full price because, OMG IT HAS A BIGGER NUMBER, that, or the god awful scam that is a $15 map pack. They announce those maps when they are releasing details, and then, magically, when you buy the game, they aren't there anymore, and they expect you to pay again for something that was announced as part of the game when they were building up to release. The people that fall for that shit, they are the ones pushing the "More games = better" bullshit that is ruining gaming everywhere.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
The_Blue_Rider said:
No, however I would say, let Obsidian develop Fallout from now on, and Bethesda can focus on the Elder Scrolls completely :D

Its win - win since we get the best possible Elder Scrolls experience, and the best possible Fallout experience
Now this right here is a great idea. It's a shame that it will never happen, Bethesda is probably working on another Fallout game right now instead of The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Marsh (I can dream) like they should be.

Gnometron

Jan 28, 2010
Wait... you enjoyed Fallout : NV more then Fallout 3...?
You've got to be kidding me! Bethesda took fallout three, and made it a game to be remembered, then as soon as Obsidian takes back over, they basicly just copy all the ideas from Fallout 3 with a few new added shit, oh now I can attach things to my guns, woop-de-fucking-do.

If Obsidian EVER touches a Elder Scrolls game, I will burn the bulding down, i've been playing the elder scrolls series since Arena, i've loved all of them and I dont want them to be ruined by some company that cant do jack all to make a new and refreshing game. Bethesda is meant for TES series, they made it, and they are not going to give it up.

People keep talking about games being realised like the Twilight Saga, having them just comming out and out, they just get all the same ideas, and paste a few new ideas. Bethesda has totally taken TES, and given it a massive overhall, while keeping in the nice and juicy things that made oblivion great, and adding so many more, to make it like a cake.

I think i've got to lay down for abit...

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
lunncal said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
No, however I would say, let Obsidian develop Fallout from now on, and Bethesda can focus on the Elder Scrolls completely :D

Its win - win since we get the best possible Elder Scrolls experience, and the best possible Fallout experience
Now this right here is a great idea. It's a shame that it will never happen, Bethesda is probably working on another Fallout game right now instead of The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Marsh (I can dream) like they should be.
Yeah its a shame, I hope that Bethesda gives Obsidian another shot though, but I think they sort of doomed Obsidian by making Fallout 3, that introduced a lot of new people to the franchise and and gave them a different expectation of what makes a Fallout game. But it all depends on who they decide to listen to though really and whether they think that Fallout should continue in its more traditional roots, or whether their take on it would be better :\

Still If theres one thing to look forward to, its that the next Fallout will(hopefully) be running on Skyrims vastly superior engine, that I cannot wait for :D

leady129

Aug 3, 2009
I want Obsidian to stop messing with Bethesda's and Bioware's franchises and get to work on making 'The Wheel of Time' game they've been holding the rights for... or sell the rights off to someone who will.

Obsidian often have great ideas, and reasonably well written stories... marred by buggy sub-standard gameplay. Still, each game I think they have become a little wiser and better.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Gnometron said:
Wait... you enjoyed Fallout : NV more then Fallout 3...?
You've got to be kidding me! Bethesda took fallout three, and made it a game to be remembered, then as soon as Obsidian takes back over, they basicly just copy all the ideas from Fallout 3 with a few new added shit, oh now I can attach things to my guns, woop-de-fucking-do.
In his opinion, yes he did I suppose.

I had a feeling this thread would just turn into a hate thread, instead of people giving their opinion on the matter in a more objective way.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
ES should stay with Bethesda, and I disagree that Obsidian made a inferior KoToR.

But the ES games are Bethesda babies. They do them pretty fricking awesome!

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Ovoon said:
But if they announce that Bethesda and Obsidian will do annual Elder Scrolls games every two years,
I know this will make me a douche, but that sentence...

O.T:If we get a new Elder scrolls every 2 years or so, won't people just accuse it of being the COD equivalent to fantasy? Won't that just end up causing even more flame wars about it? Won't that leave less time for development?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
M4t3us said:
Obsidian, screwing up sequels since KOTOR2 with a metric **ckton of machine freezing bugs...
Maybe, but it was a far more interesting story with deeper philosophical and political questions that KOTOR 1 ever offered to you. KOTOR 1 focused almost entirely around the big twist. KOTOR 2 was a lot more subtle and a lot deeper.

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
Amnestic said:
Maybe, but it was a far more interesting story with deeper philosophical and political questions that KOTOR 1 ever offered to you. KOTOR 1 focused almost entirely around the big twist. KOTOR 2 was a lot more subtle and a lot deeper.
Yeah, story-wise KOTOR2 was a step up from the original game. Thing is: I could never finish it because my computer froze up before the final battle with Kreia and after a few patches and a session of banging my head against the wall I gave up.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Amnestic said:
M4t3us said:
Obsidian, screwing up sequels since KOTOR2 with a metric **ckton of machine freezing bugs...
But still a bug-infested, decomposing husk of a game. I can understand that LucasArts pretty much forced them to release when they did. But we certainly had the capacity to patch games in 2005, so there is no excuse at all for them leaving it in that state. As far as I'm concerned, Obsidian shouldn't be allowed to make anything until they fix KotOR II.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
You know what I'd like to see them do? Skyrim DLC. Don't worry about new engines or landmasses which they're horrible at, just new really well written free form quests and companion characters in the amazing world Bethesda have created.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Aris Khandr said:
But still a bug-infested, decomposing husk of a game. I can understand that LucasArts pretty much forced them to release when they did. But we certainly had the capacity to patch games in 2005, so there is no excuse at all for them leaving it in that state. As far as I'm concerned, Obsidian shouldn't be allowed to make anything until they fix KotOR II.
That's a publisher decision. You can say their reach extended their grasp and given the short timescale they should have gone for something far less ambitious but KotoR 2 was never given a chance, no-one could deliver a good KotoR under those conditions.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Jove said:
Rabish Bini said:
Jove said:
Obsidian made an inferior KOTOR game and Fallout game, I would have a stroke before I hear them even think of making an Elder Scrolls game.
I'd argue that. I thought KotOR II had the potential to be far better than the first in every way, but unfortunately the whole time schedule kerfuffle with Lucasarts ruined that.

In fact, if you look past the flaws, I think the second just edges out the first.
2nd was still really good, but imo, it just falls short story wise, content wise (seriously have you seen the lost content mods? lol), characterization, etc. The exile was great and all but they could have done (and as you said they really could have done a lot more if it weren't for Lucasarts being complete twats), but it wasn't exactly executed as much as I wanted it to.

Oh and don't get me started on the completely non-existence romance...
There's nothing wrong with having no Romance in KOTOR 2. One of the big differences between the first game and the second was that in KOTOR 2 you didn't have amnesia. Yes, you could still make choices that alter the game, but those choices exist within the parameter of who the Exile was before he/she quit the Jedi Order. The Exile was her own person, not the player's.

Chris Avellone, lead writer for KOTOR 2, felt that Bioware's romances were extremely stilted and ham fisted, so he opted to not include them at all. And the game still works without them very well. Hell, even the in game explanation for why everyone follows you backs up why Romance would be a bad option. They follow you because of your influence, but by the end they respect you enough to follow you on their own accord rather than your aura of power.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
Amnestic said:
M4t3us said:
Then you'll have to burn down Lucasarts, because they outright refused to let Obsidian continue working on KOTOR 2 when Obsidian offered to release a mass content patch to fix everything that was cut.

May 28, 2009
Oh look, another "let's hate on Obsidian" band-wagon.

I don't really recommend they make Elder Scrolls games though. They made the first Fallout games and New Vegas is excellent (and as I'll continue to stress, I found more bugs in F3 than I ever did in NV), and I always have confidence in the fact that they will generally produce very good games (and for a group that mocks more unoriginal story you guys sure seem to dislike Obsidian for everything).

As far as I know the Elder Scrolls series has always been Bethesda's though, so it's probably better with them.