I want Obsidian to make the next Elder Scrolls game

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
If Obsidian did make the next Elder Scrolls game, it would be the only Elder Scrolls game I would never buy. I made a promise to myself a long time ago that I would never buy another Obsidian game again until they create their own engine because that will probably be the only time I can expect them to release a game that isn't full of bugs and crashes.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
M4t3us said:
Hmmmm, Bethesda, as in Awesome games with a ton of midly annoying bugs...
Obsidian, screwing up sequels since KOTOR2 with a metric **ckton of machine freezing bugs...

No!
Yea, this would only be a good idea if we really wanted to see a TES game that's constantly crashing rather than occasionally crashing.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
M4t3us said:
Hmmmm, Bethesda, as in Awesome games with a ton of midly annoying bugs...
Obsidian, screwing up sequels since KOTOR2 with a metric **ckton of machine freezing bugs...

No!
yes the games they makes may be buggy, but story wise obsidian is likely the best there is, better then bioware likely.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
How about instead Bethesda just keep developing The Elder Scrolls. I mean come on, Skyrim is more than just another notch in their belt, it's a huge step up from Oblivion in a lot of respects. I'd rather wait another five years for The Elder Scrolls VI: "insert province of Tamriel here*.

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
I'm gonna agree with Obsidian doing DLC of some kind, unless the nature of DLC is to introduce some new area like Shivering Isles did in Oblivion. Because if Bethesda isn't adding any new area, they could totally get started on the next ES game if they aren't doing another Fallout, while Obsidian could fill in the DLC gap.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Obsidian is good at making interactive books. They have some decent writing for video games. Bethesda is good at making awesome video games that keep you entertained with gameplay for 300+ hours and can last you for 4+ years. New Vegas is over once the storyline is.

New Vegas was a crap game in my opinion but people defend it and are biased because of devotion to interplay.

FO3 was the much better game. People just complain about canon and storyline like whiny nerds.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm an Obsidian fanboy, so an Elder Scrolls from them would garner my interest. New Vegas was a 10000% improvement over Fallout 3 to me, with much more player choice in terms of gameplay and story progression. Obsidian tends to have some very good writing, and are one of the few big RPG developers that can stray away from the "epic" story (where your goal is to fight the big bad evil) and make it shine. Even with its flaws and unfinished nature, Knights of the Old Republic II is one of video gaming's best stories (and a shoe-in for best story in Star Wars).

I'm not blind to Obsidian's flaws, but I've largely avoided the game-breaking bugs that others have detailed. I've gotten plenty of the smaller ones, though. I can't play KotOR II without an audio glitch that occurs about once every two minutes from the game's start to its finish. I've had plenty of radscorpions get stuck in the landscape in New Vegas. These things don't kill the games for me, though. Not even close.

Hop-along Nussbaum

Mar 18, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
The Elder Scrolls is Bethesda's creation and should stay with them, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed F:NV more than F3. Bethesda know how to make an ES game and know all the lore and all that, whereas Obsidian might screw some things up.
This.

I completely agree. While I share the OPs point about being eager to explore all the regions, I will gladly wait a little longer to play a proper ES game, than one that was hastily put together by money hungry production companies.

It should stay with Bethesda.

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
It is enough that Activision ruins the Call of duty franchise this way. Why do you actually WANT a company to do this? Wanting more of the same?

If we are to learn anything from the Call of duty franchise, it is that there has been minimal innovation from title to title since Modern Warfare 1. Both in gameplay and graphics. The stories get thinner with each release and you also pay much more for less content.

And to make this possible, modding would have to be stopped and possibly a multiplayer introduced.

Regardless if it would work out and work out great... you would not like to eat your favorite ice cream every day.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Gnometron said:
Wait... you enjoyed Fallout : NV more then Fallout 3...?
You've got to be kidding me! Bethesda took fallout three, and made it a game to be remembered, then as soon as Obsidian takes back over, they basicly just copy all the ideas from Fallout 3 with a few new added shit, oh now I can attach things to my guns, woop-de-fucking-do.
Actually, they made a Game which was far more connected to Fallout 1 and 2, and re-added the variety of weapons (Not quite as many, but approaching that of Fallout Tactics:BoS) and the ability to modify them that was in Fallout 2, they brought back a lot of the humour that fallout 3 was missing, and kept a lot closer to canon, as well as making character variety closer to the originals, companions that don't suck, and a karma/notoriety system that was more realistic in entity, and more akin to the one in the older original Fallout games, I mean sure at launch and for awhile after it was buggy as hell, but then again anyone who will fault them on that should also look at a lot of other games with the same problem, this is an industry wide problem not just one or two companies.

I'm not saying they "Did it better!" or anything, but I am saying that it tied in with the series FAR BETTER than 3 did... also in 3 they never explained how Harold made that epic journey accross an entire fucking continent including surmounting the rockies to get all the way to DC, hell he was pretty much the only real tie to the old games, and as a wonderful add in for fans, they KILLED HIM OFF, as a tiny completely forgettable, and generally unimportant sidequest.

Just saying, I don't want obsidian to touch elder scrolls stuff, but another fallout addition wouldn't go amiss.

Also Obsidian has people from Black Isle studios, y'know the guys who worked under interplay to make fallout 2, in their staff, they know fallout.

they didn't "Steal Ideas from fallout 3" they used their knowledge and adapted it to the engine given to them to make another fallout game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So you want the next Elder Scrolls game to be completely unplayable for at least 3 months after release?

Ovoon

Feb 10, 2011
michael87cn said:
New Vegas was a crap game in my opinion but people defend it and are biased because of devotion to interplay.

FO3 was the much better game. People just complain about canon and storyline like whiny nerds.
I'm biased because of my devotion to Interplay? I have no devotion to Interplay, and I don't know anyone else that does!

Obsidian has done some.... crap. I wasn't impressed with KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol was pretty funky, I hated Neverwinter Nights 2, and I wasn't impressed with Dungeon Siege 3. Now that being said, I really like how they did Fallout. Maybe its a good idea for them to stick to doing Fallout games? Either way, I don't want the Elder Scrolls being ignored for another few years because of Fallout 4 or something.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like obsidian. As hard as I tried I couldn't get into new vegas, it didn't suck me in in anything like the same way that Fallout 3 did. I think that their hands should be kept firmly off the Elder Scrolls . (No offence intended to anyone who works for obsidian.)

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I don't see a reason why. So we could play another TES game in the next year or two ? I say enjoy this one and let Bethesda move on to other things. Quality over quantity.

Also, why Obsidian? Do you like poorly optimized games that crash at worst possible times? Glitchy quests that frustrate and break immersion, ruining everything good one has to say about the game? No, Obsidian should not touch TES franchise, and just get back to making New Vegas DLCs, or another quick buck game.

dunedog

Nov 18, 2009
Here's my input:

I can only play FO3 for 3 minutes before it crashes.

I can only play FNV for 20 minutes before it crashes.

That's it.