I want to get into anime.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
kayisking said:
Excactly what it says. It's a side of nerddom that I have ignored for too long. You may reccommend me shows, sites, articles and anything else that you think will help me get into anime. Just keep in mind that I have absolutely zero knowledge of anime so when you recommend me a series, please don't make it something that requires me to have seen the twenty sequels before it.

Discuss below!

Ps. Please excuse my poor English, I am not a native speaker.
if your from the uk you might like hellsing

Charlie Emerson

Mar 17, 2011
FLCL, its 6 episodes long and will be great for suspending your disbelief for more complex shows like Full Metal Alchemist, and Deathnote. Those are [in my eyes] the best 3 to start with FMA has about 50 eps [cant remember, also depends on if your watching brotherhood or not.] and Deathnote has 20 something eps.

Dumbfish1

Oct 17, 2008
aeroblaster said:
Thirdly, watch Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece and see which one you like and stick with it. They're the 3 most popular anime's that are currently running.
I can't belive you forgot pokemon, THE biggest anime/manga/videogames to come out of Japan. Although OT, I probably wouldn't recomend it to you, I personally find it a bit childish.

ashikoto

Jul 14, 2008
If your into comedy then i have some good suggestions

Nerima Daikon Brothers- A musical sex comedy anime (yeah really)

School-rumble- A comedy about 40 different love triangles

Lucky star- A comedy about 4 high school girls.

And

Ninja Nonsense the legend of Shinobu- Just.... just a great thing.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
I dislike Naruto/Bleach/One Piece the episodes are fun and all but it just never ends. Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist have a good ending and that is it. Naruto just keeps going on and on and on and it never seems to end.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I don't know, it's like saying "I wan't to get into TV-Series".
There's just so many of them, covering so many different themes and settings and just about everything. What is liked by someone may be hated by someone else and vice versa. Style, audience, and execution is so vast that I can't really recommend something good for you.

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
kayisking said:
Excactly what it says. It's a side of nerddom that I have ignored for too long. You may reccommend me shows, sites, articles and anything else that you think will help me get into anime. Just keep in mind that I have absolutely zero knowledge of anime so when you recommend me a series, please don't make it something that requires me to have seen the twenty sequels before it.

Discuss below!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Go there, free, legal, tons of anime. I would suggest you some but honestly? It's more fun to click and watch and find something you love on accident. Jumping into an anime with no expectations can make the experience so much better. My advice? Click that link, browse whichever genre interests you, or just browse all of them, and watch whatever looks cool to you. You'll find stinkers(as with all things) but you'll find something awesome, and it will be so much better if you stumble upon it.

Aug 17, 2009
If you like other forms of animation, i.e Futurama or South Park, I'd recommend starting with something that has all of the aesthetic trappings of an anime, but with a very Western way of doing things: The Boondocks.

It's not an anime per se, but you wouldn't be able to tell me that if you just looked at some screenshots. And it's a lot funner to watch than some of the "proper" animes that you may have suggested to you.

Dr_Cuddles

Sep 20, 2010
A lot of pretty bad suggestion IMO. Some of those anime's are just not very good examples of solid animation. Although it really depends on what genres you like. For new watchers I would recommend.

Full Metal Alchemist + Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Code Geass
Death Note
Gurren Laagan

Although before getting into a series, I would recommend watching a few anime one-shot movies first. Anything by Studio Ghibli really.

You really don't need to bother with crap like Yugioh or Pokemon. Long-running animes like Bleach/Naruto/One Piece are not a good idea to get into to be honest, unless your down for sitting through 200+ episodes. Id easily recommended reading the manga over watching the shows.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
For something that's really really crazy that it must have been made while the creators are high, go see Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Equal parts awesome and WTF.

lazinesslord

Jun 13, 2010
Animes to look at:
Darker Than Black
Cowboy Bebop- This one especially, it is my favorite anime of all time.
Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Alchemist- Both the original and Brotherhood are good but in my opinion Brotherhood is better
Fooly Cooly
Dragon Ball Z Kai- The original was a flawed master piece, this version fix all those problems
Samurai Champloo- If you like Cowboy Bebop you'll like this one

Hope this helps.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Trigun is the best. I have never shown it to a geek who hasn't liked it. Start there.

After that, branch out into different genre's, take a spin on the first few episodes of different anime. I recommend Baccano, The Black Blood Brothers, R.O.D., Azumanga Daioh, and Please Teacher (not Please Twins!)

You can also check out some of the higher rated animes on this list:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian

Do not start with Naruto, Bleach, One Peice, Dragonball Z or any of those style of shows! you will burn out. The time required to get a real payoff from watching these shows is enormous, they are not good starting points. Basically, avoid any anime with more than 52 episodes. If you like anime, consider these shows later.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to recommend Gurren Lagann! Great show, add it to the list of things to check out after Trigun. The first 13 episodes (I think, before the time skip is what is important) are amazing, and the after time skip episodes are pretty good too.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Steven Biehler said:
Two Words
Studio Ghibli
but beware it is know that there is no human who will not cry watching "Grave of the Fireflies"
Princess Mononoke is one of my favorites.
My friend did not cry when watching Grave of the Fireflies. He has no soul.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
When I first started getting into Anime, I just went to the video store and just picked out anime videos at random, whichever ones looked interesting, and started watching. I'd suggest doing that. Find a website that allows you to watch anime for free, pick out something that sounds interesting and go nuts.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
kayisking said:

Discuss below!

Your English is much better than the people who apparently learned it reading Youtube comments and Myspace pages, so no worries there!

If you're new to it, pick a big hit as you won't be disappointed.

For a fantasy story, try Full Metal Alchemist (both original and Brotherhood are great, long-running stories, but be aware that both go a bit over the top at the end. When will they learn :( ).

For hardcore sci-fi, try Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex 1. Good multilayered story with a political thriller slant and I love the sci-fi myself.

If you want something modern-day, there's another long running series called Hajime No Ippo (The Fighting in English) which is a story of a meek, nice kid learning that he has a surprising love and talent for boxing and rising through the ranks to become the Japanese Featherweight Champion. One of my favorite stories for the great characters and down-to-earth, day-to-day journey style of it.

For a dramatic historical tale, try the Samurai X movies 1, 2 and 4 (3 is ok but totally different in the characterization, it doesn't even look like part of the same series).

Almost forgot this one! Avatar the Last Airbender is for a younger audience, but a top-notch production with a story that's very watchable by adults.