I Was Pulled Over By Cops for carrying an UMBRELLA!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
WOPR said:
okay this just happened and I want peoples opinions on this

I was carrying an umbrella with a katana handle
obviously an umbrella

I had 3 cop cars pull me over (which I'm pretty sure is out whole police force... sadly) and they yelled at me that they received reports of me carrying an ASSAULT RIFLE!

Can anyone justify being more or less detained by cops for carrying THAT?!
on the statement "IT'S AN ASSAULT RIFLE"

EDIT: I wasn't detained it just felt like it because I had the throw it down, put my hands on my head, turn my back to them, and not move a muscle until they were done inspecting the umbrella

EDIT 2: I'm not mad at the cops (okay I'm half mad, because of the approach and overkill they took) I'm mad at the idiot that called me in as carrying an assault rifle

EDIT 3: Also when I say "Pulled Over" I just don't know how to explain "Stopped while walking down the sidewalk home (It was supposed to rain today... hence the umbrella... it was a present too)
I saw that umbrella at the anime Expo. I wanted one, but didn't quite have enough cash. :(
OT: Silly silly prick who phoned the police.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Most places don't allow people to walk around with a sword. If you were stupid enough to think that this would not happen then you deserve this. Seriously, why did you buy an umberella that looks as if it contains a sword if you didn't want people to think it was a sword?

Dumb much?

It's like carrying around a lunchbox shaped like an Uzi then complaining that someone called the cops because someone was walking around with a gun.

Seriously you and only you are at fault here. Man up.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I want that umbrella sooo bad!

I seriously don't understand how that could be mistaken for an assault rifle....damn old people and their short-sightedness...

Actually i'm gonna undo that stroke i did above:

I want that umbrella sooo bad! Seriously! It's awesome!

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
You can't really fault the police for this. Think of it from their point of view: they get a call that someone's carrying a fucking assult rifle around, they HAVE to go and investigate it.

And of course, someone carrying a gun like that would be serious, so obviously they bring a lot of guys to handle it incase the situation turns nasty. THEY don't know it's an umbrella until they've gotten a look at it.

The fault here is with the nutbag who reported the umbrella as a high-grade military weapon.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
ryai458 said:
Jonluw said:
ryai458 said:
Jonluw said:
Just don't blame the police. They did what they should have done. After all, they received reports that you carried an assault rifle.

And remember that story about the russian agent who was killed by means of an umbrella with a poisoned tip, huh? Umbrellas are clearly dangerous weapons.
Actually it was an umbrella with a air gun which injected him with a tiny amount of radioactive material that slowly killed him.
Hmm, it appears the poison was indeed injected by means of compressed air, but the wikipedia entry doesn't say anything about ricin being radioactive...
Oh must've been thinknig of another assassination well I was half right atleast.
Hmm. That was what I was going to say before I looked further into it, and found that the murderer might have used compressed air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov#Later_investigation_and_aftermath

Well, umbrellas are dangerous in any case.

Mar 9, 2010
People are stupid, the police are cautious. That is essentially the problem you encountered. I don't know how someone can mistake an umbrella for an assault rifle though.

Me and friends had the police come over and interrupt a game of 'catch the large dart' because the guy watching the camera couldn't decide whether we were drinking alcohol or not. It's a genuine reason to come over, I'll give them that, but I felt insulted that they would think we would drink right in front of a camera. It just showed me the standards of today.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
you must have a stalker. cause i cant see why anyone other than a stalker would look at your unbrella close enough to even notice that the handle looks kind of like a katana handle

Oct 20, 2010
WOPR said:
okay this just happened and I want peoples opinions on this

I was carrying an umbrella with a katana handle
obviously an umbrella

I had 3 cop cars pull me over (which I'm pretty sure is out whole police force... sadly) and they yelled at me that they received reports of me carrying an ASSAULT RIFLE!

Can anyone justify being more or less detained by cops for carrying THAT?!
on the statement "IT'S AN ASSAULT RIFLE"

EDIT: I wasn't detained it just felt like it because I had the throw it down, put my hands on my head, turn my back to them, and not move a muscle until they were done inspecting the umbrella

EDIT 2: I'm not mad at the cops (okay I'm half mad, because of the approach and overkill they took) I'm mad at the idiot that called me in as carrying an assault rifle

EDIT 3: Also when I say "Pulled Over" I just don't know how to explain "Stopped while walking down the sidewalk home (It was supposed to rain today... hence the umbrella... it was a present too)

Oh i know your pain. I used to own the trenchcoat from the Punisher movie. (NOT warzone)
In one night, I was stopped walking home by Constable O'Brian of the South Surrey RCMP (idiot)

He accused me of being a drug dealer, and only backed off when i produced My MAGIC: deck and explained that I am a Nerd, it is FUCKING COLD OUT (December) and this is a warm Jacket.
Now to his credit he hung his hea in shame and released me.

As he closed his door, another RCMP cruiser raced up, lights and sirens a-blaze and Constable McCleod jumped out of her car, PULLED HER GUN, ordered O'Brian to put his hands on his head, and for me to do the same. After she realized that she had just COMPOUNDED the idiocy of her Organization - Seriously, she thought her fellow RC was dumb enough to buy drugs off a street dealer IN A TRENCHCOAT- 1 block from the station. That's right folks, 1 block.

After all was aid and done, the Chief for S.Surrey told me "Wearing Suspicious Clothing" was inviting detainment. Since that time I have been detained for:

Wearing a backpack <= Actual contents, DnD books.
Being outside after 1:00 am. <= got my driver's license revoked for WALKING HOME DRUNK, on
the sidewalk, outside my OWN FRONT DOOR
Smoking Weed in Public. at leat 20x <= actually an offense this one, however fully 1/2 the time, I share the the nice officers, and get told to do it at home. The rest of the time I put it out and say "Legally allowed to possess 1/ 8 of dope. This is now less that 1/2 gram. Good day sir."

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
To everyone calling him an idiot for buying an umbrella with a sword handle, tell me.

How exactly would someone notice its a katana handle? It's covered up BY YOUR HAND

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
"Look out, he's got a gun! ... But as long as we don't get to close he can't stab us with it."

Really? An assault rifle?

Awesome Umbrella by the way. Pure. Awesome.

Oct 20, 2010
Legion said:
To be honest it's better the cops did what they did rather than ignore a call of someone carrying around an assault rifle.

The people who called the cops on the other hand...
I unashamedly blame the Elderly, and Christians. There does not exist two groups of Nosier, more self righteous people on the planet. It isn't that they're BAD, it's that they think YOU are. White Rock BC is a very elderly community. I have had more Cops called on me for my appearance, or been detained for time of being outside in WR than I can name. Yes I am outside at 1 O'çlock. I washed dishes on the beach. I started work at 5:00pm and often got off between 12"00 and 2:00. Before you say it, we stayed away from parks, because they are closed. Tim Hortons, Grocery store Parking lots and such are a nice place for some hackey-sack before bed. Apparently this makes me an All consumingly Evil Drucg lord bent on RAping children. fucking SIGH

Tamashikiri

Nov 23, 2009
You have an umbrella with a KATANA HILT?!

Screw assault rifles, those cops should have pulled you over having the most badass umbrella EVER!

...That's a criminal offense, right?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
dakorok said:
Basically, people are dumb. This is something that can be really fun to exploit, especially at conventions.
"This is the medic's medi-gun!"
"GUN?!"
"Yeah, it-!"
"GUN!"

Feb 9, 2011
Maybe they thought you were The Penguin, which would make that umbrella shoot bullets for sure. At least now you have a great story to tell.

Oct 20, 2010
lostzombies.com said:
Most places don't allow people to walk around with a sword. If you were stupid enough to think that this would not happen then you deserve this. Seriously, why did you buy an umberella that looks as if it contains a sword if you didn't want people to think it was a sword?

Dumb much?

It's like carrying around a lunchbox shaped like an Uzi then complaining that someone called the cops because someone was walking around with a gun.

Seriously you and only you are at fault here. Man up.
Sikhs are allowed to Carry knives in Canada. I have never once been threatened by or EVER felt I would be attacked. Shit in America, if that was a REAL RIFLE, and you registered it, it wold BE LEGAL. You are only not allowed to carry CONCEALED weapons.

On the front doors of a mall I visited in S.Carolina "Please do not bring your CONCEALED handguns inside the mall." You better believe I asked a MallCop. response: As long as it is visible, and in it's holster, you are o.k.

ajh93

Feb 11, 2010
dick move from the guy who called the cops on you...but i cant really blame the cops completely.i mean you hear about a guy with a fucking assault rifle you'd bring every guy you got (3 cars is the entire station?damn).but then again,they should have figured it was a prank call when they only received ONE phone call...and it was rather stupid that they had you stand like that when you can't really mistake an umbrella for a bleeding ASSAULT RIFLE!

at least you didn't get shot on sight,a hollow point round to the computer could really ruin your day...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
You know, umbrellas, left alone, can become dangerous when their population isn't kept under control. The police were doing you a favor before it attacks you, in your home, in the night, in your sleep.

In all seriousness, I don't know if I should laugh or cringe at the cops.