I Wrote That Crap (For America!)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I Wrote That Crap (For America!)

As you?ll gather, my attempts to mine current events for sellable screenwriting were? less than successful. Because, as we?ve established, something is profoundly wrong with me.

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
No Bob, we won't stop you; You want to tell us about terrible screenplays and we enjoy hearing about them. If you want to tell us about someone else's work, we won't mind.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say you're poisoning your chances at making real movies: Warlock sounds like a possible C-movie.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I kind of want to see the first and third, maybe even the second if I was altered to show Icebreaker for the jerk he was rather than celebrating his "this is because of mixed signals attitude", from what Bob says of Pain and Gain I can imagine Michael Bay directing iit (Icebreaker)

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
The first idea was similar to the plot of Salt, only Bob's makes more sense. I assume because in the early 2000s we still expected scripts to at least attempt to have a cohesive narrative?

The second one has that kind of sudden genre/tone shift that can be really awesome if done well, but most of the time turns out really, really poorly.

The third one reminds me of the novel Shadow Ops: Control Point [http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Ops-Control-Myke-Cole/dp/1937007243/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379089319&sr=8-1&keywords=shadow+ops+control+point] (basically, about a US special forces unit of wizard-soldiers).

vid87

May 17, 2010
I read the intro to "Icebreaker" and the very first thing that came to mind was Dane Cook's "My Best Friend's Girl", then the whole "Confusing Modern Woman" deal led to "Hitch." So yeah, leave out the military action thing and you've combined two star-vehicle films into one reasonable-sounding story.

The third one also sounds interesting if it had focus - never crossed my mind to combine pagan-spiritualism with secular machismo.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Icebreaker, initially, did not sound too bad of an idea. The part that turned me off completely was the part where the CIQ (character in question) was framed for murder and has to save the US. I'm thinking if Bob continued to work on the parts after the CIQ was beaten up for reals (like, if he was hospitalized and his love interest came to visit wanting an explanation as to why he got beaten up, he confesses that he was the Icebreaker jerk... know what? This is getting too cliche, so I'll stop), as opposed to the whole action parts that would seem shoehorned in even to the most braindead of moviegoers, I think this would have been a decent idea for a rom-com.

The other two films... Bob had to be stoned while thinking up those ideas. I could not read the synopses of either without a straight face.

Excuse me while I repeatedly elbow myself in the groin for saying "rom-com".

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I have to admit...The Sleeper sounds like a pretty interesting idea. One that I'd want to watch actually. The rest....well, they sound rather silly and straight to video-ish.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Bob, what are you talking about? These movies sound awesome!

The confusing modern woman thing kinda reminds me of this talk I had with my sister; she said "dude, girls don't know what they want. You'll have to watch yourself."

Icebreaker kinda sounds like if Hideo Kojima made Catherine.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I'm glad you explained the logic behind "Icebreaker" being the name of an action hero, because otherwise I would have had no clue how you went from the premise to the guy having to save the world. I actually kind of like the idea of a work of fiction exploring the possibility of a "hey you, get your damn hands off her" guy for hire. Maybe not as the lead, but he sounds like some one-off character I might run into in a webcomic or modern sitcom. Hell, someone like that would fit right in with the sorts of weirdos they've had on Arrested Development.

The first movie probably could have worked, at the time, and even been well regarded, provided that you replaced the climax with something less stupid.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Sleeper and American Warlock both sound really good.
Sleeper, in particular, could be like an action movie version of American Dreamz. I'd see it just to look at the faces pulled by those morons on Fox when it comes out. As per A.W., I don't think that the combination of those themes is weird at all. If anything, it could be an amazing cross over film.
Either way, I love these articles Bob, and for the most part, I love your ideas.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
I kind of want to see the first and third, maybe even the second if I was altered to show Icebreaker for the jerk he was rather than celebrating his "this is because of mixed signals attitude", from what Bob says of Pain and Gain I can imagine Michael Bay directing iit (Icebreaker)
You know the funny thing? There is actually a movie with almost the exact premise (premise, not plot) of Icebreaker from 2008 called My Best Friend's girl [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046163/?ref_=nm_knf_t3]. I was very surprised he didn't point that out. From what I've heard of it, though, it would seem Bob's version might have been way more interesting. Apparently some Hollywood executive nicked the script while he wasn't looking.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Machine Man 1992 said:
Icebreaker kinda sounds like if Hideo Kojima made Catherine.
That is freaking fantastic. I was thinking it sounded like Michael Bay making My Best Friend's Girl.

Oh, and Bob... if I ever see that 3rd movie on SyFy channel, I'll know who to blame.

As for the 1st movie, Sleeper... I was getting a real 'The Siege' vibe from it, not a bad thing, until it went off the rails at the end with the over-the-top stuff. That same script, minus the 90's fight scenes, with a modified ending where his love interest is killed by the big bad in NY then it skips ahead a few months to him having went to Afghanistan to track down the guy, now all epic-beard-of-sorrow'd, and concludes with him frantically tracking then chasing him through the fall of Kabul or battle of Kandahar... I could see Ridley Scott putting butts into seats with that circa 2004. Hell, you could even add the modern liberal angle by having it finally end with him settling the score, but being picked up by ISAF and renditioned anyway because of his present location on the battlefield and past associations actually biting him in the ass.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Bob, stop being so hard on yourself, these movie ideas sound crazy-awesome! Hell, these sound better than almost every other "current event inspired" flick from Hollywood. I'm talking about the ones that say the REAL bad guy is the Government or the U.S. Military (and I think you reviewed and eviscerated some of those, too). To me, that stuff doesn't reflect the viewing public's paranoia, they foster it.
Falseprophet said:
The first idea was similar to the plot of Salt, only Bob's makes more sense. I assume because in the early 2000s we still expected scripts to at least attempt to have a cohesive narrative?
Ha ha! Zing!

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
The Sleeper has already been made and made much better, its called Traitor and stars Don Cheadle.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
The Sleeper was made really well, as a TV Series called Sleeper Cell (not the same backstory but similar themes).

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
I would totally watch The Sleeper if it was made; it seems perfect to walk the line between "tongue-in-cheek" and "jokingly-sincere"

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Okay Bob, you win this time. There is absolutely nothing on that list I would even remotely consider paying money to see, not even for unintended comedy value. :D