id Software Semi-Denies Doom 4 Screens

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Both styles of game-design are valid. So I still don't see why anyone would consider either 'bad'.
If one of the defining qualities of the game is "linear", then it's a bad quality. If I (and I think most other people) call a game "linear", they usually mean "game is quite obviously set on a fixed path with no variation".
Games like the original Half-Life were linear for sure, but they didn't give the strong feeling of linearity that other games do, due to the fact there were areas to explore, and the areas felt "complete". All I remember of Doom 3 is diving through corridors with no real variation or places to get lost in, looking for the one other door that opens.

Other thing that really killed it for me is that I guessed when things were going to spawn on me 90% of the time. Seems like the other people who weren't as good as guessing had a better time with the game. For a game that relies heavily on jump scares, if you find the spawns predictable, it just isn't a whole bunch of fun.

Sooo... even if Doom 4 does come to light, it's definitely not a day one purchase for me.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
tharglet said:
Vigormortis said:
Both styles of game-design are valid. So I still don't see why anyone would consider either 'bad'.
If one of the defining qualities of the game is "linear", then it's a bad quality. If I (and I think most other people) call a game "linear", they usually mean "game is quite obviously set on a fixed path with no variation".
Games like the original Half-Life were linear for sure, but they didn't give the strong feeling of linearity that other games do, due to the fact there were areas to explore, and the areas felt "complete". All I remember of Doom 3 is diving through corridors with no real variation or places to get lost in, looking for the one other door that opens.

Other thing that really killed it for me is that I guessed when things were going to spawn on me 90% of the time. Seems like the other people who weren't as good as guessing had a better time with the game. For a game that relies heavily on jump scares, if you find the spawns predictable, it just isn't a whole bunch of fun.

Sooo... even if Doom 4 does come to light, it's definitely not a day one purchase for me.
I'm not denying any of that with Doom 3, or certain other games, but using 'linear' as a derogatory term just seems illogical to me.

The original Super Mario Bros (and most games in the past, in fact) were the very definition of linear. Yet, they are often lauded as the greatest games ever made. Often, ironically, by the very people that will harp on a new game by implying it's linear. It just seems disingenuous and hypocritical to me. (not implying you are, just to avoid any confusion)

Now, using your examples, if you say a game is 'predictable' or 'restrictively linear' or some such thing, then that makes sense. Those are more fitting, derogatory terms. But 'linear', by itself, doesn't make sense.

(for the record, I'm not defending (the potential existence of) Doom 4. id has yet to impress me this generation)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Sorry, double post.

Anyone else REALLY hating this new captcha format? Seems really buggy to me.